Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 529402 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe
« Reply #5145 on: May 06, 2022, 11:49:07 AM »
Second set was just TAU and Ted took some of Roine's vocals
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5146 on: May 06, 2022, 12:14:23 PM »
Second set was just TAU and Ted took some of Roine's vocals

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #5147 on: May 07, 2022, 08:46:06 AM »
Huh, looks like The Daily Doug went to the Montclair NJ show!

https://youtu.be/Dw1RpyhSUQE

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5148 on: May 07, 2022, 09:49:56 AM »
Huh, looks like The Daily Doug went to the Montclair NJ show!

https://youtu.be/Dw1RpyhSUQE

The Daily Doug’s concert report from this weekend:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw1RpyhSUQE

Yep! Watched it a few weeks ago. I'm glad he liked it, especially since it was so early in the tour run.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #5149 on: May 13, 2022, 09:30:21 AM »
So I got bored and I ranked (almost) all of the Transatlantic songs. No covers or bonus tracks.

1. Stranger in Your Soul
2. Duel With the Devil
3. All of the Above
4. Rose Colored Glasses
5. My New World
6. Into the Blue
7. Suite Charlotte Pike
8. Overture / Whirlwind
9. The World We Used to Know
10. Is It Really Happening?
11. Looking for the Light (Reprise)
12. Higher Than the Morning
13. Black as the Sky
14. The Greatest Story Never Ends
15. Dancing With Eternal Glory / Whirlwind (Reprise)
16. Reaching for the Sky
17. Take Now My Soul
18. On the Prowl
19. Owl Howl
20. Lay Down Your Life
21. A Man Can Feel
22. We All Need Some Light
23. Evermore
24. Love Made A Way
25. The Wind Blew Them All Away
26. Overture (The Absolute Universe)
27. The Darkness in the Light
28. Kaleidoscope
29. The Sun Comes Up Today
30. Out of the Night
31. Looking for the Light
32. Bridge Across Forever
33. Rainbow Sky
34. Set Us Free
35. Mystery Train
36. Bully
37. Can You Feel It
38. Solitude
39. Belong
40. Shine
41. Lonesome Rebel
42. Love Made a Way (Prelude)
43. Pieces of Heaven
44. Beyond the Sun

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5150 on: May 13, 2022, 04:05:25 PM »
Controversial opinion from me, but I think All of the Above feels like a bunch of (admittedly cool) stuff thrown together. It never felt coherent to me. I think all subsequent work from them is much better in this regard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5151 on: May 13, 2022, 05:31:04 PM »
So I got bored and I ranked (almost) all of the Transatlantic songs. No covers or bonus tracks.

1. Stranger in Your Soul
2. Duel With the Devil
3. All of the Above
4. Rose Colored Glasses
5. My New World
6. Into the Blue
7. Suite Charlotte Pike
8. Overture / Whirlwind
9. The World We Used to Know
10. Is It Really Happening?
11. Looking for the Light (Reprise)
12. Higher Than the Morning
13. Black as the Sky
14. The Greatest Story Never Ends
15. Dancing With Eternal Glory / Whirlwind (Reprise)
16. Reaching for the Sky
17. Take Now My Soul
18. On the Prowl
19. Owl Howl
20. Lay Down Your Life
21. A Man Can Feel
22. We All Need Some Light
23. Evermore
24. Love Made A Way
25. The Wind Blew Them All Away
26. Overture (The Absolute Universe)
27. The Darkness in the Light
28. Kaleidoscope
29. The Sun Comes Up Today
30. Out of the Night
31. Looking for the Light
32. Bridge Across Forever
33. Rainbow Sky
34. Set Us Free
35. Mystery Train
36. Bully
37. Can You Feel It
38. Solitude
39. Belong
40. Shine
41. Lonesome Rebel
42. Love Made a Way (Prelude)
43. Pieces of Heaven
44. Beyond the Sun

Nice list!  It is hard to argue with the top 5 (although my order would be slightly different), and I suspect We All Need Some Light, A Man Can Feel, On the Prowl and The World We Used to Know would be my next four. Not sure what would round out my top 10. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5152 on: May 22, 2022, 08:24:12 PM »

This thread reminds me of Michelangelo and the Pope from Monty Python. "I'll tell you what you want mate, you want a bloody photographer, not an artist!" Somebody earlier said they felt sorry for anybody who went to the first two shows. They shouldn't. I feel sorry for people who missed it. I noticed every flub there was, and I still thought they were wonderful concerts. Christ, RCG and the SiYS conclusion alone were enough to justify this trip for me, and while there are plenty of people who won't get to see it, others are complaining because what they're seeing on YT isn't flawless like it is on the album. Don't get it.  :dunno:

Had a total blast at those two shows, but I knew what I was getting into being it was the first two shows with minimal rehearsal time. There were also technical issues.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5153 on: May 31, 2022, 06:01:14 PM »
Not surprisingly, Neal confirmed in his latest Inner Circle newsletter than Shine was a last minute addition to night 1 of Morsefest this year, which is why the abridged version was played (sounds like Roine didn't want to have to relearn the guitar solo he probably hadn't played in 7-8 years at the last minute given all of the material they were already running through to get ready in the last day or two leading up to Morsefest).

I also like that Neal could tell how good his voice sounded night 1.  He sounded good night 2 as well, but as much as his voice has aged in recent years, he sounded fantastic that first night.   Getting that live rendition of The Whirlwind on Blu-ray eventually will be so sweet.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5154 on: May 31, 2022, 06:46:58 PM »
To be fair, haven't we established that Roine doesn't want to relearn ANY solo?  :lol

I was thinking the other day about how much better a Transatlantic Morsefest would have been Pre-TAU. They played about 5 hours of material between both nights, and if you look at TA's discography minus TAU and bonus tracks/covers, it's just over 5 hours. Hypothetically speaking, back then they could have played their entire main discography at Morsefest. TAU is great, and I'm happy with what we got, but just imagine how cool it would have been.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5155 on: May 31, 2022, 07:50:52 PM »
To be fair, haven't we established that Roine doesn't want to relearn ANY solo?  :lol

I was thinking the other day about how much better a Transatlantic Morsefest would have been Pre-TAU. They played about 5 hours of material between both nights, and if you look at TA's discography minus TAU and bonus tracks/covers, it's just over 5 hours. Hypothetically speaking, back then they could have played their entire main discography at Morsefest. TAU is great, and I'm happy with what we got, but just imagine how cool it would have been.

Oh that is something I had wanted for YEARS. Night 1 could've been all of BAF straight through, then 2nd set with ITB, AOTA, WANSL. Night 2 would've then been all of The Whirlwind, followed by "Mystery Train", "My New World", as well as BATS, BTS/Kaleidoscope.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5156 on: June 22, 2022, 05:44:48 PM »

I can't remember. Was this show filmed for a live album/DVD release?

I figure I'm locked in to one of those Artbooks  if it is.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5157 on: June 22, 2022, 05:53:51 PM »

Morsefest was recorded. And I think I read that one of the Europeans shows will be recorded.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5158 on: June 28, 2022, 10:55:53 AM »
Instrumentally-inclined folks, does anyone know the chords Neal is playing in the Lost and Found section of Stranger in Your Soul?

I’ve been learning some TA songs. In particular, Into the Blue, Duel With the Devil and parts of The Whrilwind.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5159 on: July 02, 2022, 06:51:47 PM »

Morsefest was recorded. And I think I read that one of the Europeans shows will be recorded.

Guess I somehow missed that announcement.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5160 on: July 06, 2022, 01:48:39 PM »
From Facebook just now:

We are almost 2 weeks away from our final flights across The Absolute Universe!! These are *Absolute*ly the last shows of the tour (and maybe ever? 🤔), so don’t miss your opportunity to see this Prog Supergroup fly while you can… 🚀

**And in case you haven’t heard, the last show of the tour on July 28th at the Olympia in Paris 🇫🇷 will be filmed and immortalized for a live Blu-ray release!! So come be part of TA history for our very final flight that night…**

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5161 on: July 06, 2022, 02:18:31 PM »
From Facebook just now:

We are almost 2 weeks away from our final flights across The Absolute Universe!! These are *Absolute*ly the last shows of the tour (and maybe ever? 🤔), so don’t miss your opportunity to see this Prog Supergroup fly while you can… 🚀

**And in case you haven’t heard, the last show of the tour on July 28th at the Olympia in Paris 🇫🇷 will be filmed and immortalized for a live Blu-ray release!! So come be part of TA history for our very final flight that night…**

I'm so glad they're filming the LAST show of the tour. I still think it was unfortunate that, on the BAF Tour, they filmed the THIRD show of the whole tour, just as they were starting to feel comfortable with the material, but even so, Live In Europe turned out to be one of my favorite live albums of the 00s!

I'm excited to see what kind of unique changes or additions they'll make for that final show since they are filming it. I'm guessing they may release the Paris show first (perhaps before the end of 2022) before releasing Morsefest 2022, just because Neal *just* released Morsefest 2021 last month, so he might wait til next year to release, even though the show was recorded before this upcoming Paris show. Either way, I'm excited to get both sets on CD/BD in the next year or so.

I feel like every time Transatlantic has toured since 2010, it's always been "possibly the last tour", but I feel like this time, it might actually be, perhaps apart from some one-off reunion shows or sets. I think Transatlantic have really done all they could at this point in their career and even if they did make a 6th studio album, I'm not sure where they could go next that wouldn't feel like a rehash or retread of what they've done before. Heck, some feel like their last two albums already did that, so who knows if another one could provide anything fresh or meaningful.

-Marc.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5162 on: July 06, 2022, 02:22:51 PM »
Seems likely. TAU is a good note to go out on.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5163 on: July 06, 2022, 02:24:46 PM »
From Facebook just now:

I'm so glad they're filming the LAST show of the tour. I still think it was unfortunate that, on the BAF Tour, they filmed the THIRD show of the whole tour, just as they were starting to feel comfortable with the material, but even so, Live In Europe turned out to be one of my favorite live albums of the 00s!

I'm excited to see what kind of unique changes or additions they'll make for that final show since they are filming it. I'm guessing they may release the Paris show first (perhaps before the end of 2022) before releasing Morsefest 2022, just because Neal *just* released Morsefest 2021 last month, so he might wait til next year to release, even though the show was recorded before this upcoming Paris show. Either way, I'm excited to get both sets on CD/BD in the next year or so.

I feel like every time Transatlantic has toured since 2010, it's always been "possibly the last tour", but I feel like this time, it might actually be, perhaps apart from some one-off reunion shows or sets. I think Transatlantic have really done all they could at this point in their career and even if they did make a 6th studio album, I'm not sure where they could go next that wouldn't feel like a rehash or retread of what they've done before. Heck, some feel like their last two albums already did that, so who knows if another one could provide anything fresh or meaningful.

-Marc.

Yeah, I think this is a fine place for them to call it a day. Everyone is getting up there in age, and it probably makes sense for them to focus more on their main bands/projects going forward. It was a nice run (and it could have ended after BAF and I would have been fine with it).

Offline Kram

« Reply #5164 on: July 06, 2022, 03:05:57 PM »
I agree with you guys.  This feel like they're swan song (Morsefest did actually).  Now Neal and Mike, please make NMB your FULLTIME band and stop messing with the side projects.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5165 on: July 06, 2022, 05:34:29 PM »
Boy, they are really milking the "it might be the last time..." thing this year, aren't they? :lol

"Get your Morsefest tickets, it might be the last one!"

"Come to the Transatlantic show in two weeks, it might be the last one ever!"

:rollin :rollin

And wait, they are recording another show for release?  So, there will be three different live releases from TA's 2022 touring?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5166 on: July 06, 2022, 05:47:41 PM »
And wait, they are recording another show for release?  So, there will be three different live releases from TA's 2022 touring?

I only know of two, Morsefest and the upcoming Paris show. What's the third?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5167 on: July 06, 2022, 06:01:24 PM »
Hmmm, I thought the Tilburg show or one of the first ones after the cruise was being recorded.  I could be misremembering.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5168 on: July 06, 2022, 06:12:58 PM »
The NMB recorded a show in Tilburg, that’s probably what you’re thinking of.  :biggrin:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5169 on: July 06, 2022, 06:47:12 PM »
The NMB recorded a show in Tilburg, that’s probably what you’re thinking of.  :biggrin:

That is correct. The NMB recorded their Tilburg show on their recent European tour, just as copies of Morsefest 2021 were hitting doorsteps and mailboxes. That's how long the Innocence & Danger "tour" has gone on. It's weird to think that that album is nearly a year old now, but The Absolute Universe came out half a year before I&D. I guess that's the nature of COVID delays and touring, especially when Mike and Neal are in both bands. And speaking of...

I agree with you guys.  This feel like they're swan song (Morsefest did actually).  Now Neal and Mike, please make NMB your FULLTIME band and stop messing with the side projects.

I wouldn't mind them permanently docking the Transatlantic ship, but I wouldn't mind at least one more Flying Colors album. Call it Fourth Wall and make that the last one. There could even be a behind-the-scene documentary called "Making The Fourth Wall" (gotta love the wordplay).

After that, Mike and Neal can do nothing but NMB for the rest of their musical relationship together for all I care!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5170 on: July 06, 2022, 08:32:00 PM »

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, that's right.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

As for the other topic here, I think NMB is as full time as it's gonna get, which feels like it's stuck in between being a full time band and a side project.  I suspect an album/tour about every two years or so will continue to be the norm.  Eric seems to be doing a lot of stuff on his own these days and is a father now, so who knows if he'd even want to commit to be in any band full time at the moment.

Besides, I don't want to lose Flying Colors.  I want more albums out of them (yes, albums...plural!!).

As for Transatlantic, it wouldn't surprise me if Roine is not wild about doing any more albums after the way the last one went down.  He couldn't have been happy with Neal's Breath of Life version that removed a lot of his guitar work and lead vocals.  Plus, none of them are getting any younger.  If this is it, they can be happy with the five studio albums they put out (and the 33 live albums :lol).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5171 on: July 06, 2022, 09:52:28 PM »
I wouldn't mind if TA called it a day after this tour run, but please give me more FC! I'm sure they have at least a couple more albums in them :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5172 on: July 07, 2022, 06:05:27 AM »
I wouldn't mind if TA never made another album but did tour again at some point down the road.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5173 on: July 07, 2022, 07:17:12 AM »
I wouldn't mind if TA never made another album but did tour again at some point down the road.

I’d like to see that. It leaves more room in the setlist if they don’t have a new album to play all the way through. They could do a TAU medley or just a few select songs from TAU by themselves. And they can play some (definitely not all) of their other epics in full.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5174 on: July 07, 2022, 12:13:09 PM »

Yes to both sentiments here....been really underwhelmed with their releases post 'Whirlwind'.....and while Whirlwind was really good....nothing has come close (for me) to the first two albums.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5175 on: July 07, 2022, 05:36:09 PM »

Yes to both sentiments here....been really underwhelmed with their releases post 'Whirlwind'.....and while Whirlwind was really good....nothing has come close (for me) to the first two albums.

See, this is why you should have found a way to get to Morsefest this year. ;)  Seeing all of The Absolute Universe played would have won you over.  Still not on the level of the first three albums, but still pretty damn good.  :hat :hat

Offline HOF

« Reply #5176 on: July 08, 2022, 08:55:04 AM »

See, this is why you should have found a way to get to Morsefest this year. ;)  Seeing all of The Absolute Universe played would have won you over.  Still not on the level of the first three albums, but still pretty damn good.  :hat :hat

I also don't think anything they've come close to the first two albums, but TAU has been the best of the last 3 by a good margin for me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5177 on: July 08, 2022, 09:22:45 AM »

Yeah....I'm upset with myself for never making it to a Morsefest.....I just always had a conflict with the dates that couldn't be resolved. And as far as TAU goes....I've tried a good 4 or 5 listens but I just can't connect with it. To me all I hear is a mish mash of everything they've put out to this point arranged just a little bit differently. Does nothing for me....even the little moments that sound cool here and there are just buried in the 'been there done that' noise
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #5178 on: July 08, 2022, 09:32:38 AM »
I was really set on going to Morsefest this year. Silly me somehow didn't keep track that it was played in April instead of the usual Sept slot.  :sad:
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5179 on: July 08, 2022, 09:38:57 AM »
TAU is fine, but it just felt like them trying to recapture The Whirlwind, but instead it comes across as them making a piece as long as possible, solely for the sake of making it as long as possible. I’m referring to the Ultimate edition, as it’s the only version I ever listen to nowadays. But even with the shorter version, it still feels long for the sake of long.

Kaleidoscope is by far their weakest album, but I found a new appreciation for Into the Blue after seeing it at Morsefest, and enjoy it even more after learning how to play it (Very fun song on guitar).
Shine still does nothing for me.
Black as the Sky is pretty good and I think of it as a good gateway song. Something to show people what TA is without making them sit through a 30 minute song.
Beyond the Sun is a pale imitation of Bridge Across Forever.
Kaleidoscope is too long and incoherent. It has some cool sections but it just does not flow well at ALL.