Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 530655 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe
« Reply #4865 on: February 05, 2022, 04:08:45 PM »
I really enjoy Forevermore, it is the best version of the three we have. To me, that's the real album.

I like it more than Kaleidoscope, but only by a little bit. It doesn't come anywhere near the greatness of the band's first three albums.

The Breath of Life is good but the weakest entry into the TA canon. It just seems mostly redundant, even if there's bits of unique music on it compared to the 'real' version (Forevermore) and there are sections of it I like over Forevermore where it cuts out the bloat of Forevermore, but on the whole I prefer Forevermore over TBOL. Haven't really gotten into the Ultimate version that much, I think I only listened to it once, and didn't like the flow of it when I listened to it.

I wish the Ultimate version was more about collecting the strongest parts of both albums instead of just including everything that's on both albums. Or you know, they should have just done that in the first place and released one strong album.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4866 on: February 05, 2022, 04:11:14 PM »
I listen to my playlist of The Absolute Universe. It includes things I enjoy from both versions that I don't hear in the Ultimate Editions.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4867 on: February 05, 2022, 07:11:25 PM »
I listen to my playlist of The Absolute Universe. It includes things I enjoy from both versions that I don't hear in the Ultimate Editions.

This. I also made my own "ultimate edition" and that's the best version of the album to me. Had to do some minor audio editing to a couple songs to include stuff from both versions of those tracks and it was good to go :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4868 on: February 06, 2022, 12:27:30 AM »
I wish the Ultimate version was more about collecting the strongest parts of both albums instead of just including everything that's on both albums. Or you know, they should have just done that in the first place and released one strong album.

I agree, unfortunately, that "including everything"/"juggernaut"/"epic-est version to end all versions"-approach is classic MP  ::)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4869 on: February 06, 2022, 09:30:01 AM »
I did fresh listens of all versions a month or so ago and my opinion was about the same.

While changing Heart Like a Whirlwind to Reaching for the Sky was a big upgrade, nearly every other change Neal made for The Breath of Life was for the worse.  Listening to that again actually aggravated me as it was like listening to an album that had had its balls cut off.  ​Eliminating both The World We Used to Know and Rainbow Sky from The Breath of Life and then the hatchet job Neal did to the original version of Higher Than the Morning might have been the biggest mistakes of Neal's career. 

That said, Forevermore was a bit too long and needed a little trimming around the edges, like shortening the Overture a little or lopping off the Gentle Giant part of The Greatest Story Never Ends, so Neal's idea to make it a bit more concise was not a bad one, but his execution was way off.

My own personal ultimate edition (which is pretty similar to the one on the Blu-ray with a few minor changes) is still my go-to. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4870 on: February 06, 2022, 10:24:45 AM »
I did fresh listens of all versions a month or so ago and my opinion was about the same.

While changing Heart Like a Whirlwind to Reaching for the Sky was a big upgrade, nearly every other change Neal made for The Breath of Life was for the worse.  Listening to that again actually aggravated me as it was like listening to an album that had had its balls cut off.  ​Eliminating both The World We Used to Know and Rainbow Sky from The Breath of Life and then the hatchet job Neal did to the original version of Higher Than the Morning might have been the biggest mistakes of Neal's career. 

That said, Forevermore was a bit too long and needed a little trimming around the edges, like shortening the Overture a little or lopping off the Gentle Giant part of The Greatest Story Never Ends, so Neal's idea to make it a bit more concise was not a bad one, but his execution was way off.

My own personal ultimate edition (which is pretty similar to the one on the Blu-ray with a few minor changes) is still my go-to.

The fact that the Gentle Giant part is missing in BoL is one of the main reasons I never listen to that version.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline 425

« Reply #4871 on: February 06, 2022, 10:52:42 AM »

I basically agree with this comparison of the two versions, but I also really like Can You Feel It.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Kram

« Reply #4872 on: February 06, 2022, 12:28:37 PM »

The bold part is where I'm at.  The World We Used to Know is the best song on the whole album, how could he cut that out?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4873 on: February 06, 2022, 08:46:58 PM »

I basically agree with this comparison of the two versions, but I also really like Can You Feel It.

I like it as well, and have it split off as its own individual song away from my own running order.  I treat it like a bonus song, kind of like Spinning from The Whirlwind.

The World We Used to Know is the best song on the whole album, how could he cut that out?

He must have gotten some bad advice from above when he prayed that night. :P :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4874 on: March 21, 2022, 10:04:51 AM »
Is anyone going to the show at Philly on Good Friday?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4875 on: March 21, 2022, 10:29:02 AM »
Looking into it. Travel is confounding me right now.

Sorry to see that it's on Good Friday. I'd rather have a different Friday off than just save a day of PTO where I've got plenty to burn.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4876 on: March 21, 2022, 10:33:23 AM »

Sorry to see that it's on Good Friday. I'd rather have a different Friday off than just save a day of PTO where I've got plenty to burn.

I'm looking at flights for Morsefest.  Ouch.  It's going to hurt my wallet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4877 on: March 21, 2022, 10:52:12 AM »

That does look pretty unfavorable. Your slick move is going to be extend your trip a little bit (or a lot). The further you can get from Fri and Sunday the better, and there's plenty to see and do down there (not around Cross Planes, that place is a whole bunch of nothing). It won't save you any money, but at least you'll be spending it on having fun, rather than just overpriced airfare for shitty flights. Wed - Tues is only $200/ea and they're good flights. Spend the rest on a weekly rental and goof around in Tennessee. It's actually a lovely state once you head East towards the Great Smokys. I actually spent a week roaming around TN when I went to Morsefest.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4878 on: March 21, 2022, 11:22:44 AM »
We're going to go Thursday and Fly out Sunday.  I will be setting up the flight.  Since the shows are in the evening, we can do some sightseeing during the day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4879 on: March 21, 2022, 12:23:11 PM »
We're going to go Thursday and Fly out Sunday.  I will be setting up the flight.  Since the shows are in the evening, we can do some sightseeing during the day.
That Sunday flight's the killer. That's why I suggested blowing money on exploration rather than airline ripoff fares. That's just the way I like to do things. I'm not going to spend $500 on a flight unless it's to Europe. I'll always opt to spend $250 for the flight and $250 for hotels and extra rental car days. Money better spent.

Also, depending on whereabouts you stay, there ain't no sightseeing up around Cross Planes. Seriously, the one and only interesting thing we found around there was Sad Sam's Discount Liquor and Fireworks.  :lol  Hell, Nashville isn't even all that interesting to me.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4880 on: March 21, 2022, 12:31:18 PM »
 :lol

I haven't bought the plane tickets so the wifey and I will talk it out. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4881 on: March 21, 2022, 05:11:25 PM »
Maybe it is a Midwest thing, but everyone seemingly loves going to Nashville, which is only 30 miles south of Cross Plains, Joe, so staying there and painting the town in your downtime from Morsefest seems like the way to go, if you ask me.  :tup :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4882 on: March 21, 2022, 05:55:48 PM »
That's what I think we'll do.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4883 on: March 21, 2022, 06:58:24 PM »
Smart move.  We are coming down Friday, and I took Monday off from work as well that I have an extra day off to recover from the epic-ness of Transatlantic. :P

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4884 on: March 22, 2022, 09:26:20 AM »
Maybe it is a Midwest thing, but everyone seemingly loves going to Nashville, which is only 30 miles south of Cross Plains, Joe, so staying there and painting the town in your downtime from Morsefest seems like the way to go, if you ask me.  :tup :tup
In fairness, aside from a BBQ place I'm fond of, I don't think I've ever spent any time in Nashville. The stuff I was interested in in Tennessee was typically pretty far away. I think I landed at BNA, drove to Nashville Shores for lunch, and then immediately headed South to Huntsville and the Rocket Center. Last I saw of Nashville until I returned to BNA. I spent more time in Knoxville and Chattanooga, I suspect.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4885 on: March 22, 2022, 09:42:23 AM »
We're flying in late Wednesday night, so we'll have all day Thursday and Friday morning in Nashville.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4886 on: March 22, 2022, 03:55:06 PM »
I'm flying in Wednesday afternoon since Journey and Toto are playing in Nashville Wednesday night. Then out at the crack of dawn on Sunday for CttE :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #4887 on: March 22, 2022, 04:49:23 PM »
Not a fan of flying, so I'll be driving solo to Nashville from Richmond. Driving halfway there Thursday, then the rest of the way Friday. Same with the return trip.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4888 on: March 24, 2022, 11:21:36 AM »

Funny I was expounding on this the other day. I suddenly find myself in the exact same situation. Due to various circumstances the best plan would be a quick fly up Thursday and return Sunday kind of thing. The Thur/Sun flights would wind up nearly $700. Wed to Tue is about $250. The idea of giving AA $400 because of their artificial pricing constructs is offensive to me. Since PTO isn't an issue for me, spending an extra 3 days in country is a no-brainer. I'll just add a day of roller coasters and make the rest of my trip more leisurely.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4889 on: March 24, 2022, 11:23:52 AM »
I wish I could El Barto.  I planned 2 other vacations so I've got be structured with the use.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4890 on: March 24, 2022, 06:32:08 PM »
Yeah, Joe doesn't see every single artist on the planet at least once by only doing one vacay per year. :P :lol :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4891 on: March 24, 2022, 06:33:17 PM »
Don't challenge Mr brah!   :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4892 on: March 24, 2022, 07:08:38 PM »
Have we heard who the utility man is going to be on this tour? I'm hoping for Ted again.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4893 on: March 24, 2022, 07:10:55 PM »
It is Ted.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4894 on: March 24, 2022, 07:28:48 PM »
Yep, Taylor Swift was not available, so Ted stepped in.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4895 on: March 24, 2022, 07:31:35 PM »
 :lol

Kev, we all know your wet dream now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4896 on: March 24, 2022, 07:32:37 PM »
Wet dream? What, am I 15 again?

(I wish :lol, but not really)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4897 on: March 24, 2022, 07:33:40 PM »
Um.

Yeah! :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #4898 on: March 25, 2022, 02:13:28 PM »
It's definitely Ted.  I'm in the custom shipping case business - and one of my associates is making a custom guitar case for him for this tour.

Online HOF

« Reply #4899 on: March 25, 2022, 02:19:20 PM »
It's definitely Ted.  I'm in the custom shipping case business - and one of my associates is making a custom guitar case for him for this tour.

That's a fun connection! Yeah, they confirmed (or rather Ted confirmed) that Ted will be going with them a few months back.