Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 530691 times)

TheHoveringSojourn808, Trav86 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe
« Reply #4760 on: August 19, 2021, 08:41:51 PM »
Just bought my tickets for Morsefest '22  :metal

:metal :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4761 on: August 19, 2021, 09:04:54 PM »
Nice!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4762 on: August 19, 2021, 09:29:32 PM »
Good to hear about Ted Leonard. I would much rather see him there than Gildenlow.  :hat :hat
I thought Gildenlow was far more entertaining to watch. Dude was always doing 3 things at once. Ted Leonard did a great job, but he just seemed like a background player filling in bits here and there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4763 on: August 19, 2021, 09:36:58 PM »
Good to hear about Ted Leonard. I would much rather see him there than Gildenlow.  :hat :hat
I thought Gildenlow was far more entertaining to watch. Dude was always doing 3 things at once. Ted Leonard did a great job, but he just seemed like a background player filling in bits here and there.

But isn't that what the utility guy is supposed to do?  I'd rather the utility guy stay mostly in the background than be all over the place and grabbing too much attention.  Stay in the background and do your job and let the focus stay on the actual four members of the band. That is my take. :)

Offline HOF

« Reply #4764 on: August 19, 2021, 09:48:58 PM »

But isn't that what the utility guy is supposed to do?  I'd rather the utility guy stay mostly in the background than be all over the place and grabbing too much attention.  Stay in the background and do your job and let the focus stay on the actual four members of the band. That is my take. :)

Also, Ted mentioned on the podcast how he had like 9 days to prepare for the last TA gig as Gildenlow had a health issue and had to back out at the last minute (unless there was more than one tour). So he may not have been able to do much besides focus on playing his parts.

Offline Kram

« Reply #4765 on: August 20, 2021, 01:21:32 PM »

Also, Ted mentioned on the podcast how he had like 9 days to prepare for the last TA gig as Gildenlow had a health issue and had to back out at the last minute (unless there was more than one tour). So he may not have been able to do much besides focus on playing his parts.

I'm still predicting Daniel will make a "surprise" appearance at Morsefest.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4766 on: August 20, 2021, 01:34:44 PM »

Ted did mention jokingly that Mike will probably pull Daniel in too, though I think he was talking about during the cruise.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4767 on: August 20, 2021, 03:14:07 PM »
For those wondering, Ted Leonard is on Neal’s podcast that came out today, and they confirmed that Ted will be the 5th member for the TA tour.

Ted also hinted at SB (and Enchant) maybe being done touring for good, so that’s maybe a bummer.

Really sad, it seems the end of them both. There was a new Enchant album in the works 3 years ago. Ted commented something about it?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4768 on: August 20, 2021, 03:18:59 PM »
I've talked to Ed Platt about the album.  Doug Ott just isn't motivated like the others.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #4769 on: August 20, 2021, 03:21:14 PM »
For those wondering, Ted Leonard is on Neal’s podcast that came out today, and they confirmed that Ted will be the 5th member for the TA tour.

Ted also hinted at SB (and Enchant) maybe being done touring for good, so that’s maybe a bummer.

Really sad, it seems the end of them both. There was a new Enchant album in the works 3 years ago. Ted commented something about it?

He's moved to New York state, so that might be a part of it. He didn't specify whether or not he thought Spock's or Enchant were done making more. It more sounds like there is nothing on the horizon and he's not sure they'll ever do anything like a big tour with them again.

Here is the link with the time stamp to his comments on that:
https://youtu.be/e3WkRWIBg7k?t=698

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4770 on: August 20, 2021, 03:40:17 PM »
Let's be real, Neal's albums are the continuation of the Spock's Beard sound. Post Neal-Spock's may be branded as Spock's Beard, but they're more like New Coke.
I haven't heard all the post-Neal albums, but from what I've heard, while there's some good stuff in there, much of it comes off as bland, mediocre, and just plain not memorable. Even trying to separate them from Neal era SB, it's not a band I would give much attention if they weren't directly connected to the band's first 6 albums.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4771 on: August 20, 2021, 03:46:32 PM »
Let's be real, Neal's albums are the continuation of the Spock's Beard sound. Post Neal-Spock's may be branded as Spock's Beard, but they're more like New Coke.

Eh, I’d pretty strongly disagree. Post-SB Neal is very different than SB in my view, in no small part because of the players involved. Not that post-Neal SB doesn’t sound different too, but I think in general they are closer to the original SB in sound and style than Neal’s solo stuff is. I prefer post-Neal SB to Neal’s solo stuff for sure.

Offline Kram

« Reply #4772 on: August 20, 2021, 03:51:33 PM »

Ted did mention jokingly that Mike will probably pull Daniel in too, though I think he was talking about during the cruise.

Yes, I'm thinking he'll make appearances at Morsefest and the Cruise - the rest of the tour will just be Ted.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4773 on: August 20, 2021, 03:57:18 PM »

Eh, I’d pretty strongly disagree. Post-SB Neal is very different than SB in my view, in no small part because of the players involved. Not that post-Neal SB doesn’t sound different too, but I think in general they are closer to the original SB in sound and style than Neal’s solo stuff is. I prefer post-Neal SB to Neal’s solo stuff for sure.

That's why I said post-Neal SB is New Coke. It's different. If we're talking the classic "Spock's Beard sound" Neal took it with him, I don't hear it on later albums without Neal as full time member. We're talking about the style of music. Even within Neal's catalog outside SB, there are personnel differences, even if most albums feature Randy George and Mike Portnoy.

TA is "Spock's Beard meets The Flower Kings with Dream Theater energy and that bassist from Marillion" because Neal is the Beard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4774 on: August 20, 2021, 04:07:02 PM »
No, Neal WAS the Beard, but he hasn't been for nearly 20 years. While Neal's style and personality are always hard to escape, every time I listen to Spock's, it stands out how different it really is from Neal's solo work and the Neal Morse band (in the context of the prog rock genre).  A big part of that are the players - Portnoy and NDV are both excellent, but very different drummers, for example - and another part is that fun, quirky side of Neal kind of went away for a while after he left the Beard.  Probably because of the nature of the lyrics, but his music seemed more serious for a while (not a criticism, One and ? are two of my favorite albums of his ever), while Spock's has always had that element of quirkiness and fun, when Neal was in the band and since he has left.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4775 on: August 20, 2021, 04:11:07 PM »
No, Neal WAS the Beard, but he hasn't been for nearly 20 years. While Neal's style and personality are always hard to escape, every time I listen to Spock's, it stands out how different it really is from Neal's solo work and the Neal Morse band (in the context of the prog rock genre).  A big part of that are the players - Portnoy and NDV are both excellent, but very different drummers, for example - and another part is that fun, quirky side of Neal kind of went away for a while after he left the Beard.  Probably because of the nature of the lyrics, but his music seemed more serious for a while (not a criticism, One and ? are two of my favorite albums of his ever), while Spock's has always had that element of quirkiness and fun, when Neal was in the band and since he has left.

I get what you're saying, but I'm saying that post-Neal SB did not retain the sound of the first 6 albums. It sounds like 2 different bands.

Neal's work post-SB is closer to the last 2 SB albums than post-Neal SB ever got, from what I've heard. Those last 2 SB albums, the quirkiness was pretty much already gone. How much different is Snow to Testimony? or V to One?

Point is, SB, TA, Neal solo, NMB, it's all different branding of NEAL MORSE because he wrote most or all the music.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4776 on: August 20, 2021, 04:30:08 PM »
I don’t think Neal or Ted era SB has ever really replicated Neal’s ability to whip out epic length tunes, and no one can really imitate his specific songwriting trademarks, but just in terms of the sound of the band and retaining that mix of pop, rock, and prog, I think Spock’s retained it after Neal left moreso than Neal did. His writing after he left became primarily conceptual, and lost a lot of the quirkiness and more pop sensibilities that were in his SB writing. But also, Al, Nick, Dave, and Ryo are all very unique players and they were very much a part of the sound and style of the first 6 SB albums. Their presence alone (at least until Nick left for the first two Ted albums) kept the band’s sound more or less intact.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4777 on: August 20, 2021, 07:04:58 PM »
I don’t think Neal or Ted era SB has ever really replicated Neal’s ability to whip out epic length tunes, and no one can really imitate his specific songwriting trademarks, but just in terms of the sound of the band and retaining that mix of pop, rock, and prog, I think Spock’s retained it after Neal left moreso than Neal did.

You mean Nick or Ted era SB?  :huh: I would only kind of agree, mostly more so in the Ted-Era, especially since 2 of the 3 songs that are over 10-minutes that SB has released in the last decade have had Neal write (part of) them - "Falling For Forever" and "Waiting For Me" (with the third being "To Be Free Again" at 10:28 long). I think the Nick-Era at least tried to put in some sort of epic on each album, most of which were helped by Nick ("A Guy Named Sid", "From The Darkness", and "With Your Kiss"), though those had different sensibilities and styles than Neal did. But I do agree, the band did retain the more pop-rock sound after Neal left, mostly due to just how good the band was, and their collective writing helped flesh out their sound palette a bit more as well, especially with the addition of Boegehold and Ausmus.

His writing after he left became primarily conceptual, and lost a lot of the quirkiness and more pop sensibilities that were in his SB writing.
I'd say a lot of his first four prog solo albums after he left SB were a bit more serious, and not as quirky as some of his early SB stuff, but then there were songs like "Leviathan" on Lifeline, "Time Changer" and "Nighttime Collectors" from Testimony 2, and "Freak" from Momentum were fairly quirky and different than his usually serious/somber fare. He definitely still retained his pop sensibilities as well, like with "Back To The Garden", "Nothing To Believe", and "King Jesus" from One, "Outside Looking In" from ?, about half of the Lifeline album, and a few songs from Testimony 1 and 2 as well. They just didn't sound like SB because, even though he was still the primary writer, having Portnoy and George definitely helped differentiate his sound from SB, both in the prog and pop departments.

But also, Al, Nick, Dave, and Ryo are all very unique players and they were very much a part of the sound and style of the first 6 SB albums. Their presence alone (at least until Nick left for the first two Ted albums) kept the band’s sound more or less intact.

I'd say each of those four definitely helped shape the band's sound just as much as Neal's writing and playing did. If you paid enough attention to their playing enough, you could definitely tell that Al, Ryo, and Dave were still in the same band after Neal left, when Nick and Ted took over as frontmen. It would be a shame if the band is done since it seems like Ted has no idea what's going on with them.

Ryo was recently seen recording live-in-studio at the Mouse House with another band. Ted and Dave have Pattern-Seeking Animals now, with a third album on the way by next Spring and a tour as well. As for Al?... I'm not sure what he's been up to lately, probably his day job, and with the Ryo doing various gigs and Ted and Dave with PSA, maybe he's decided that SB should call it a day? At this point, if they release a 14th album, it'll have been 4 years since their last one (if released next year), which would be as long as the gap between their self-titled and X releases, which felt like an eternity for me, so who knows what'll happen this time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #4778 on: August 20, 2021, 08:39:12 PM »
I don’t think Neal or Ted era SB has ever really replicated Neal’s ability to whip out epic length tunes, and no one can really imitate his specific songwriting trademarks, but just in terms of the sound of the band and retaining that mix of pop, rock, and prog, I think Spock’s retained it after Neal left moreso than Neal did.

You mean Nick or Ted era SB?  :huh: I would only kind of agree, mostly more so in the Ted-Era, especially since 2 of the 3 songs that are over 10-minutes that SB has released in the last decade have had Neal write (part of) them - "Falling For Forever" and "Waiting For Me" (with the third being "To Be Free Again" at 10:28 long). I think the Nick-Era at least tried to put in some sort of epic on each album, most of which were helped by Nick ("A Guy Named Sid", "From The Darkness", and "With Your Kiss"), though those had different sensibilities and styles than Neal did. But I do agree, the band did retain the more pop-rock sound after Neal left, mostly due to just how good the band was, and their collective writing helped flesh out their sound palette a bit more as well, especially with the addition of Boegehold and Ausmus.

Woops, definitely meant Nick and Ted. It’s not that they haven’t done epics without Neal (A Guy Named Sid, From Out of Darkness, and also As Far as the Mind Can See are a few of the really great epic length tracks without Neal). It’s more that Neal has a special knack for those multi-part epics that is hard to compete with, and a kind of distinct formula that he follows that the band maybe tried to avoid a bit after he left. I guess I would agree with Darkshade that Neal kind of took that with him when he left is all.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4779 on: August 21, 2021, 03:45:27 PM »
Bought tickets to the Tilburg 013 show  ;D I like The Absolute Universe more evey listen and for Transatlantic I usually prefer the live recordings to their studio output. This should be a great show.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4780 on: August 22, 2021, 06:43:29 AM »
Roine replied to a post on FB saying the Paris show, the last of the TAU Tour, will be filmed. Nice to see them filming at a new city and venue for a future live release!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 425

« Reply #4781 on: August 22, 2021, 10:06:31 AM »
Nearly confirms we're getting two live releases, then, since I think the odds of Morsefest not getting released are very low.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #4782 on: August 22, 2021, 08:34:39 PM »
Does anyone know if hi-res art exists anywhere of the US cover of SMPTe? The best I've seen online is a small-ish 600x600 image, or larger poorly-scanned images like these: https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/a57fb9e3-ac21-4c53-87f1-e3b25cb6944a/albumcover/smpte-508634036d9b7.jpg

Every other Transatlantic album has at least decent art online (Live in America being the second-worst behind SMPTe US).

Bridge Across Forever, for example, has super-crisp art available: https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/a57fb9e3-ac21-4c53-87f1-e3b25cb6944a/albumcover/bridge-across-forever-5db44507a1850.jpg

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4783 on: August 22, 2021, 09:02:56 PM »
Does anyone know if hi-res art exists anywhere of the US cover of SMPTe? The best I've seen online is a small-ish 600x600 image, or larger poorly-scanned images like these: https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/a57fb9e3-ac21-4c53-87f1-e3b25cb6944a/albumcover/smpte-508634036d9b7.jpg

Every other Transatlantic album has at least decent art online (Live in America being the second-worst behind SMPTe US).

Bridge Across Forever, for example, has super-crisp art available: https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/a57fb9e3-ac21-4c53-87f1-e3b25cb6944a/albumcover/bridge-across-forever-5db44507a1850.jpg

Thats very odd, but then again I've never really looked for high-res images of the US version of the SMPT:e cover art. I just always use the EU version to give it its own unique color palette compared to BAF. SMPT:e is pink/purple, BAF is blue, The Whirlwind is orange/yellow, Kaleidoscope is green, and TAU is black (since I listen to the Ultimate Mix mostly, but the other two covers have different enough shades of pink and blue compared to their first two albums).

I tried looking up the US cover but only found the images you found, so best of luck!

-Marc.

Offline 425

« Reply #4784 on: August 22, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »
I think the European version has become the "main" version. I live in the US and bought SMPTe many years after its initial release (2013ish?), and mine is the pink.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4785 on: August 22, 2021, 09:38:02 PM »
I think the European version has become the "main" version. I live in the US and bought SMPTe many years after its initial release (2013ish?), and mine is the pink.

I believe so as well. When they released the albums on vinyl for the first time many years ago, they used the EU cover, and again with the more recent vinyl reissue.

Fun Fact- the EU version is pink because Inside Out wanted the band to release the album with a non-blue cover because they felt their label had released a lot of blue album covers in recent years and planned for that current year.

Even tougher to find a high-res image of is the Roine Stolt Mixes version the debut album. I don't think I've ever found a version higher 953x953.

-Marc.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #4786 on: August 22, 2021, 11:58:58 PM »
Yeah, it definitely seems like the main version now. For me, it's tough because I bought it right around release and have lived with the blue cover for over 20 years.

Another one that I did to myself (and I'm happy with) is when Similitude of a Dream came out, I was shocked when I saw how great the inner art was, and was bothered that they didn't go with that, so I made my own version and have only ever used that. It ended up working out great when The Great Adventure came out because that album art was so similar, so that feels distinct.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4787 on: August 23, 2021, 08:03:15 AM »
Always check Discogs, and even when you do that, you have to check each individual entry.  There are some "pros" at scanning hi-res album art on that site (and some doofuses as well, so beware). 

Offline darkshade

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4790 on: August 23, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »
Yeah, it definitely seems like the main version now. For me, it's tough because I bought it right around release and have lived with the blue cover for over 20 years.

Another one that I did to myself (and I'm happy with) is when Similitude of a Dream came out, I was shocked when I saw how great the inner art was, and was bothered that they didn't go with that, so I made my own version and have only ever used that. It ended up working out great when The Great Adventure came out because that album art was so similar, so that feels distinct.

I like what you did there. You should repost at the Official Neal Morse thread (though I imagine everyone jumps back and forth between this thread, that thread, and the TFK thread anyway.)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4791 on: August 28, 2021, 10:46:06 AM »
Kaeidoscope gets ragged a lot, but Into The Blue is just as great as anything Neal or Roine have released.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4792 on: August 28, 2021, 10:58:20 AM »
Kaeidoscope gets ragged a lot, but Into The Blue is just as great as anything Neal or Roine have released.

Agreed, and if the band ever play anything from Kaleidoscope ever again, I hope it would be "Into The Blue". Definitely a great epic!

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4793 on: August 28, 2021, 03:41:15 PM »

I like Ted a lot but I definitely agree.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4794 on: August 28, 2021, 03:47:56 PM »

I think Daniel is able to add more to the band live and was able to gel a bit more on stage.