Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 530991 times)

Kwyjibo and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe
« Reply #4725 on: August 09, 2021, 10:19:01 AM »
Didn't realize these were already on sale. Just bought 2 for the Arcada Show. Shocked to see only $39 for front row of the balcony. Onesti must be ill or something. Never seen him price this so cheap before, considering that he was asking $75 for The Winery Dogs on their first tour.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4726 on: August 09, 2021, 10:22:02 AM »
The ticketing was being odd for the LA show and only letting you click on specific seats for the balcony and not the floor, but ended up with floor front row seat 1! would love to do morsefest to see the whirlwind, but too hard to plan for right now especially with the expenses, on top of many other expensive tickets I've gotten lately.  either way thrilled to be seeing Transatlantic again, their Keswick show on the Kaleidoscope tour was incredible  :hefdaddy
The Keswick is a handy fallback option. There's no way they sell that place out, so tickets will available up to the last minute. It's a good venue, though I wasn't crazy about the sound last time around. Flights will always be cheap to PHI, and I've got family that I'd love to see up there. Also, I can get by on public transpo if I just want to make a quick weekend of it. And if it doesn't sell out, I've got NJ if I want to extend the trip a bit.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4727 on: August 09, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »
The ticketing was being odd for the LA show and only letting you click on specific seats for the balcony and not the floor, but ended up with floor front row seat 1! would love to do morsefest to see the whirlwind, but too hard to plan for right now especially with the expenses, on top of many other expensive tickets I've gotten lately.  either way thrilled to be seeing Transatlantic again, their Keswick show on the Kaleidoscope tour was incredible  :hefdaddy
The Keswick is a handy fallback option. There's no way they sell that place out, so tickets will available up to the last minute. It's a good venue, though I wasn't crazy about the sound last time around. Flights will always be cheap to PHI, and I've got family that I'd love to see up there. Also, I can get by on public transpo if I just want to make a quick weekend of it. And if it doesn't sell out, I've got NJ if I want to extend the trip a bit.

I love the Keswick and thought about that trip - local show for Mike, probably a great meet up, and Philly in general if not - but I bit on the New Jersey show.  Also local (for Mike) and about an hour and a half less drive for me.   Second row, center aisle, so I'm good on the logistics of it.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #4728 on: August 09, 2021, 11:24:30 AM »
All in on the Keswick show. The Wellmont is closer for me, but I LOVE the Keswick and see as many MP shows there as possible. I may take in the Wellmont show as well, but I'll wait until closer to performance to decide.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4729 on: August 09, 2021, 11:26:57 AM »

Wow; that WAS short notice.  I went online, and I had a minute and 50 seconds before tix went on sale.  But scored BIG:   Second row, right in front of Mike, for Montclair.   PUMPED.

Stads you and I will be in the same row. I currently live walking distance from the Wellmont.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline 425

« Reply #4730 on: August 09, 2021, 11:42:26 AM »
I thought about how much I love TA and how long it might be before they come again and I went ahead and bought a ticket for the LA show, which is probably the one that will be easiest for me to travel to. I'll decide later whether to go or to sell the ticket.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4731 on: August 09, 2021, 01:15:21 PM »

Wow; that WAS short notice.  I went online, and I had a minute and 50 seconds before tix went on sale.  But scored BIG:   Second row, right in front of Mike, for Montclair.   PUMPED.

Stads you and I will be in the same row. I currently live walking distance from the Wellmont.

I see beer in our future!   :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4732 on: August 09, 2021, 06:04:20 PM »
I thought about how much I love TA and how long it might be before they come again and I went ahead and bought a ticket for the LA show, which is probably the one that will be easiest for me to travel to. I'll decide later whether to go or to sell the ticket.

The first part of your post is a big reason why I had no problem paying big bucks for Morsefest, as I have never seen Transatlantic, and who knows how many more albums and tours they have in them given that they are a part time band and given their ages (three of the four are over 60 now).

Offline 425

« Reply #4733 on: August 09, 2021, 10:22:00 PM »
Yeah, I fully get that, especially having never seen them, either. If I was in a more stable place in my life, I probably would have gone for Morsefest. As it is, I can decide later on whether I'm able to make a trip to LA, and worst case scenario I'm out $70.

You'll get The Whirlwind, though, which will be absolutely awesome. Might be the last time it ever gets played in full.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4734 on: August 09, 2021, 10:30:15 PM »
I would really like to see them, either on the proper tour or at Morsefest.  And I know the window is closing.  But bottom line is, with a kid starting college next week and 2 more not far behind, I am attending few concerts in the immediate future.  DT is automatic.  But outside of them, it either has to be a "bucket list" band, or cheap and easy to get to.  TA doesn't really qualify for either.  And, thankfully, I saw them on the Whirld Tour, so I don't feel like I completely missed out on them as a band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4735 on: August 10, 2021, 06:46:42 AM »
I'm sort of with Bosk, in the sense that I feel like the window is closing, and I have familial/life obligations that make this more complicated than it might ordinarily be.  But I can't swing Morsefest this time around, and I haven't seen them yet (to my great regret I bailed at the last minute for KaLIVEoscope in Philly) so I need to pounce now.   $100 +/-, second row in front of Mike two hours away.... I've certainly done a LOT worse for a show.   

Problem is, I don't like waiting until APRIL of 2022 to see them!  A lot can happen...

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4736 on: August 10, 2021, 06:58:00 AM »

Indeed. Funnily though, I should be down living in Florida by then and I'll be flying home for the show. I've waited *years* for a band I really like to play the Wellmont, and now it's finally happening probably right after I move away.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4737 on: August 10, 2021, 07:04:12 AM »

Indeed. Funnily though, I should be down living in Florida by then and I'll be flying home for the show. I've waited *years* for a band I really like to play the Wellmont, and now it's finally happening probably right after I move away.

I'm sure you'll have it all figured out and you know people, but it goes without saying if you need a ride or anything, reach out.   I'm probably going down early-isn, since I think it's a Saturday.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4738 on: August 10, 2021, 09:39:12 AM »

I'm sure you'll have it all figured out and you know people, but it goes without saying if you need a ride or anything, reach out.   I'm probably going down early-isn, since I think it's a Saturday.

Much obliged good sir. I should be set crashing with the parents, but we'll figure it out closer to April.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4739 on: August 10, 2021, 06:18:23 PM »
My list of artists/events I will travel to see is pretty small now (I have seen DT enough now to where they are no longer on the list), and the Morsefest extravaganza is something that will always be on the list.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4740 on: August 10, 2021, 06:25:58 PM »
Yeah, I will have a hard time skipping Morsefest in the future after enjoying MF2019 so much. I'm only not going to be there this year because I was supposed to be in the middle of a move. I don't think I'd pull the trigger on VIP tickets every year if the pricing stays consistent going forward, but Transatlantic are worth it.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4741 on: August 11, 2021, 02:46:01 AM »
That ARTmania show could quite possibly be the first time Transatlantic ever comes anywhere close to me. This might be my only chance to catch the band, but then again, I've already got tickets for five shows for the next year - the traveling and the hotels might take a toll on the ol' wallet. I'll keep it in the back of my mind, though.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #4742 on: August 11, 2021, 09:57:24 AM »
I ordered the vinyl reissue of Bridge Across Forever recently, and it arrived here today. I won't be using the vinyl records since I don't have a record player, but I'll definitely be making good use of the CD that came with it. Bridge Across Forever is one of my all-time favorite albums, and it was certainly worth getting it in a vinyl format!

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #4743 on: August 12, 2021, 11:48:53 AM »
Added both the PA and NJ shows to my concert calendar. Sitting in the last row in PA (a familiar spot for me when I go to this venue) and the sixth row in NJ (going with a friend who has never seen them, so I splurged on this show). Was going to do Morsefest, but it was just too cost-prohibitive to justify. If they were doing all of BAF instead of The Whirlwind on Night one, I would have thought about it a bit harder, especially since there were no U.S. dates for BAF when the album came out and I saw the Whird Tour show in Philly. But since I have the first two shows on the current tour and they already announced they are releasing MF2022, I passed on it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4744 on: August 12, 2021, 12:40:41 PM »
I just watched the Cologne show from the KaLIVEoscope Blu-ray.   I'm really going to struggle waiting until APRIL for this show.   At least I have NMB in the interim. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4745 on: August 14, 2021, 07:29:56 AM »
Hey, do we have any official sources for what The Whirlwind is about?  Especially the "Rose Colored Glasses" part?  I just watched the Tilburg show this morning and listened to Manchester (while cutting the lawn last night; perfect!) and both times it sounded/looked like Neal got choked up singing that part about "And I'll sing this as we're scattering the ashes, I believe the man has gone back home".

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #4746 on: August 14, 2021, 07:33:47 AM »
Hey, do we have any official sources for what The Whirlwind is about?  Especially the "Rose Colored Glasses" part?  I just watched the Tilburg show this morning and listened to Manchester (while cutting the lawn last night; perfect!) and both times it sounded/looked like Neal got choked up singing that part about "And I'll sing this as we're scattering the ashes, I believe the man has gone back home".

I don't think there's any overarching story to the whole thing, but Rose Colored Glasses specifically is about the death of Neal's father.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4747 on: August 14, 2021, 08:35:47 AM »
Hmmm, I don't think I knew that (or I read it once and forgot...damn old age :lol).  That adds a new layer to the song, and I already think Rose Covered Glasses is arguably the best song from the entire Whirlwind suite.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4748 on: August 14, 2021, 08:38:14 AM »

I think its a thematic song with parts that form a cohesive story. The Whirlwind of life being hurled at us. The Whirlwind that makes us question our beliefs, and overall question life. It all culminates to the eye of the storm in Is This Really Happening? Where everyone is seeing the havoc and destruction The Whirlwind has done. "Is this what our minds were meant to feast upon."

Then it ends with the epic uplifting message of hope that even though that Whirlwind caused so much turmoil, we are still alive Dancing With Eternal Glory.

Almost líke a Whirlwind of the mind.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4749 on: August 14, 2021, 11:45:49 AM »
^Sort of.  But I remember Neal mentioning the inspiration and overarching theme of the album, and it is actually a much more Biblical idea, although it is left purposely vague and open to interpretation (especially because others in the band wrote some lyrics as well). 

But it was inspired by chapter 38 of the book of Job where God speaks to Job out of the whirlwind.  The idea is that you have this awesome force speaking to mankind that is simultaneously (1) all-loving and wanting to save mankind, and (2) fearsome, awesome, and destructive to those that reject the message.  I think within the context of the song, Neal's intent was that God speaks though a lot of forces and actions that are meant to get people's attention, and can either be salvation or destruction depending on whether the "hearer" uses that as an opportunity to seek out and listen to the speaker or not.  There is obviously a lot of allegory used, and a lot (if not all of it) can just as equally have secular interpretations as well.

Anyway, I could say a lot more.  But last time I tried to provide a theological explanation of Neal's lyrics, you said something along the lines of it sounding to you like just so much noise, like the adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon, so I'll just save it.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4750 on: August 14, 2021, 02:21:05 PM »
Just putting this out there again - if anyone else wants to participate in my Transatlantic Survivor, please be sure to vote today before 5PM EST for the current rounds! Because of work, I won't be able to post the next rounds til tomorrow afternoon! (I also just want to break the tie that's currently sitting there, so hopefully when I check them later, it'll be broken!).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #4751 on: August 14, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »

I don't think there's any overarching story to the whole thing, but Rose Colored Glasses specifically is about the death of Neal's father.

This is correct.  I remember when it was released Neal specifically saying in an interview that this song was about his fathers death.  Cannot remember now the exact interview, but I know I read/saw it back then.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4752 on: August 15, 2021, 07:09:39 AM »

This is correct.  I remember when it was released Neal specifically saying in an interview that this song was about his fathers death.  Cannot remember now the exact interview, but I know I read/saw it back then.

He also mentions it in the Making Of documentary for The Whirlwind at 32:31
https://youtu.be/eaGoep2q43E?t=1951

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #4753 on: August 15, 2021, 08:34:28 PM »
^Sort of.  But I remember Neal mentioning the inspiration and overarching theme of the album, and it is actually a much more Biblical idea, although it is left purposely vague and open to interpretation (especially because others in the band wrote some lyrics as well). 

But it was inspired by chapter 38 of the book of Job where God speaks to Job out of the whirlwind.  The idea is that you have this awesome force speaking to mankind that is simultaneously (1) all-loving and wanting to save mankind, and (2) fearsome, awesome, and destructive to those that reject the message.  I think within the context of the song, Neal's intent was that God speaks though a lot of forces and actions that are meant to get people's attention, and can either be salvation or destruction depending on whether the "hearer" uses that as an opportunity to seek out and listen to the speaker or not.  There is obviously a lot of allegory used, and a lot (if not all of it) can just as equally have secular interpretations as well.

Anyway, I could say a lot more.  But last time I tried to provide a theological explanation of Neal's lyrics, you said something along the lines of it sounding to you like just so much noise, like the adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon, so I'll just save it.  :lol

I was getting ready to post this very thing, but you did a great job explaining it. The entire idea of "the whirlwind" is from Job 38, like you said. Job 38:1 (and 40:6): "Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind..." The entire book of Job is about the trials and tribulations of life, the complexity of it all, and their meaning. Like you said, the whirlwind represents both the chaos of our lives, and God's direction of it. Neal's lyrics, "There is in the heart of the whirlwind one who has been for all time," and "now that it's done, out of the whirlwind comes forth the true breath of life," are connecting God and Christ the savior coming from God ("now that it's done" referring to Christ's death").

It's easy to draw meanings from lyrics that were never intended by the writers (happens all of the time with Yes) but in this case I'm confident in this interpretation and these lyrical connections, because as a Christian these phrases and concepts are taught constantly, and are central to the life of a Christian.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4754 on: August 19, 2021, 12:39:55 PM »
For those wondering, Ted Leonard is on Neal’s podcast that came out today, and they confirmed that Ted will be the 5th member for the TA tour.

Ted also hinted at SB (and Enchant) maybe being done touring for good, so that’s maybe a bummer.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4755 on: August 19, 2021, 12:47:30 PM »
For those wondering, Ted Leonard is on Neal’s podcast that came out today, and they confirmed that Ted will be the 5th member for the TA tour.

Ted also hinted at SB (and Enchant) maybe being done touring for good, so that’s maybe a bummer.

Spoilers?

:facepalm:

:rollin

Offline HOF

« Reply #4756 on: August 19, 2021, 01:16:59 PM »

Spoilers?

:facepalm:

:rollin

Ah, well, didn’t think anyone here listened to Neal’s pod with that level of anticipation!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4757 on: August 19, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »
The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4758 on: August 19, 2021, 07:10:23 PM »
Good to hear about Ted Leonard. I would much rather see him there than Gildenlow.  :hat :hat

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4759 on: August 19, 2021, 07:30:39 PM »
Just bought my tickets for Morsefest '22  :metal