Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 524099 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe
« Reply #4690 on: August 03, 2021, 10:09:12 AM »
Honestly, even though some of those songs have been played at prior Morsefests, that shouldn't matter because none of them were played by Transatlantic at those shows.  If we can assume for the sake of argument that this will be the only time TA does a Morsefest, which I think is likely, busting out the big dogs like All of the Above, We All Need Some Light and Stranger in Your Soul (the epics in full) almost seems like a must.  Never know with Portnoy, though, as he is known to do weird set lists at what are supposed to be special events (see: the Score set list). :P

Offline Kram

« Reply #4691 on: August 03, 2021, 02:21:22 PM »
I think All of the Above is a given.  It's the first song that exposed us all to TA - their first epic (and still arguably their best) and has never been played at Morsefest before as far as I know.  I would bet they'd want to document it and give it the full Morsefest treatment
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 04:55:51 PM by Kram »

Offline 425

« Reply #4692 on: August 03, 2021, 04:36:32 PM »
To me, All of the Above is still *the* TA song. I know Duel and Stranger have kind of overtaken it in popularity, and those are both great songs, but All is the one I would go back to if I could choose only one.

I hope everyone has a great time at the TA Morsefest—and that they release a Blu-Ray! That ticket price is just a little too steep for me right now, especially when I'll probably be living far enough away that I'd need to fly to Nashville.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4693 on: August 03, 2021, 05:34:23 PM »
Honestly, even though some of those songs have been played at prior Morsefests, that shouldn't matter because none of them were played by Transatlantic at those shows.  If we can assume for the sake of argument that this will be the only time TA does a Morsefest, which I think is likely, busting out the big dogs like All of the Above, We All Need Some Light and Stranger in Your Soul (the epics in full) almost seems like a must.  Never know with Portnoy, though, as he is known to do weird set lists at what are supposed to be special events (see: the Score set list). :P

Ha ha, the Score set list is one that didn’t inspire me on paper but, upon watching it, it’s my favourite DT live album/dvd.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4694 on: August 03, 2021, 08:07:39 PM »

Remember, these guys do long shows, because they don't come out very often. 3 hour shows are kind of "normal" for them. That said, my night two might be too long. But it would still be awesome.

I will be surprised if both nights are 3 hours (of music, leaving out the intermission time).  That is a lot of material to rehearse and get right.  The tickets says Friday night 7 pm to Saturday night at 10 pm, which could be a rough estimate, but I could see both nights consisting of the full albums (Whirlwind and TAU) in the first sets, and then they come out and play another hour or so in a second rather than a full second set plus an encore.

Since I think they will want to feature something from every album, I think the below is realistic (leaving out medleys)...

Night 1:

All of The Whirlwind proper album

Suite Charlotte Pike
Shine
Mystery Train
All of the Above

Night 2:

The Ultimate Edition (whatever that entails) of The Absolute Universe

Into the Blue
We All Need Some Light
Black as the Sky
Stranger in Your Soul

Both 2nd sets would feature an epic first and last, the acoustic song 2nd, and a short rocker in the 3rd slot.  Night 2 would be a little longer, but it's the second night, so that wouldn't be unheard of.  You could even sub out Suite Charlotte Pike in night 1 and put in Duel with the Devil, to give the latter the full Morsefest treatment with the live chorus singing that ending.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4695 on: August 03, 2021, 09:09:01 PM »
I'm going to go on a limb and say that both nights will only feature roughly 2.5 hours of music, or 150 minutes, with an intermission before or after each full-album performance.

The Absolute Universe (Ultimate Mix) is roughly 100 minutes long, leaving just 50 minutes of music for that night. That's either 2 epics, or 1 epic and two or three of their shorter tunes, but only 50 minutes or so, maybe a solid hour, and if it's just that much, I doubt it'll be two sets PLUS an encore. They'll probably perform TAU, take a break, then come out for one more hour and call it a night.

The Whirlwind runs just shy of 80 minutes, leaving that night with 70-ish minutes of music left, giving them a bit more time to play older songs. If they only do one epic on the TAU night, they may do two this night, taking up about 50-55 minutes of the second set, leaving them 15 minutes to do maybe "My New World" or "Suite Charlotte Pike".

As for specific song picks, I don't think they'll do more than 1 song from Kaleidoscope. If they do two, it'll be one epic, and one of the two shorter songs that isn't "Beyond The Sun", and my vote would go for "Black As The Sky" (and if Daniel is there as the fifth member, maybe he could get a verse during the middle section this time!).

Between AOTA, DWTD, and SIYS, I'm sure the urge is there to play all three, but like others have said, that is A LOT of music to learn, and when they finally tour on TAU, they're probably not going to play two of those, let alone all three, so I think they'll only do TWO of those three for Morsefest, and then pick one or alternate them for the tour. Part of me thinks we'll get both BAF epics since the live string section would add a lot of those songs, especially their opening sections, but I do agree with the folks who think AOTA should get a spotlight at Morsefest since it was their first big epic.

As much as I would love to hear songs like "Spinning", I don't see them happening, unless Mike is very daring with the setlist. It would definitely make it an extra special concert, unless he plans to play it during the tour as well, but I guess we'll see. Of the songs from their remaining three albums, here's what I predict:

Most Likely To Be Played At Morsefest 2022:
All Of The Above
Duel With The Devil
We All Need Some Light
Black As The Sky

Might Get Played:
Stranger In Your Soul
Mystery Train (it hasn't been played since their first tour, and Morsefest is a great place for "rarities")
Into The Blue (especially if Daniel is there)
Shine

Probably Won't Get Played:
My New World
Suite Charlotte Pike (as much as I'd love to hear a non-Beatles version)
Bridge Across Forever
Beyond The Sun
Kaleidoscope
The Whirlwind Bonus Tracks (Spinning, Lenny Johnson, For Such A Time, Lending A Hand)

If they do play nearly 3 hours of music each night, that gives them about 2.5 hours of total time to cover other material, which would be plenty of time to play AOTA, DWTD, SIYS, MNW, SCP, WANSL, BATS, and maybe even ITB. But whether or not they'll want to learn 250-275 minutes of music for two nights, especially at their ages, who knows, but Mike seems confident that they could pull it off.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #4696 on: August 04, 2021, 07:38:31 AM »
Who’s gonna be the fifth member this time? Pain of Salvation and Pattern Seeking Animals are both on Cruise to the Edge so it could be Daniel or Ted or maybe even both.

Heck, throw Bill Hubauer in there too. He played with TA on CTTE 2017.

Offline Kram

« Reply #4697 on: August 04, 2021, 12:44:24 PM »
Who’s gonna be the fifth member this time? Pain of Salvation and Pattern Seeking Animals are both on Cruise to the Edge so it could be Daniel or Ted or maybe even both.

I'm guessing we'll see both Daniel and Ted - to truly make it special and the "complete TA Experience" if you will - not sure about Bill though.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4698 on: August 04, 2021, 02:21:45 PM »

I'm guessing we'll see both Daniel and Ted - to truly make it special and the "complete TA Experience" if you will - not sure about Bill though.

It would be cool to see the 6-Man Transatlantic perform together again (yes, again, because Daniel popped up during a festival show during the end of the Kaleidoscope Tour in 2014 where he played a few songs with the band, including Ted). I think it largely depends on their availability before and during Morsefest, as well as after Cruise To The Edge, because they'll probably want to try and do a small tour after CTTE, if everyone's schedules permit it. They'll probably want to play the TAU material as much as they can since they're going through the trouble of learning 100 minutes of new music to perform for Morsefest and CTTE.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #4699 on: August 04, 2021, 03:28:03 PM »

It would be cool to see the 6-Man Transatlantic perform together again (yes, again, because Daniel popped up during a festival show during the end of the Kaleidoscope Tour in 2014 where he played a few songs with the band, including Ted). I think it largely depends on their availability before and during Morsefest, as well as after Cruise To The Edge, because they'll probably want to try and do a small tour after CTTE, if everyone's schedules permit it. They'll probably want to play the TAU material as much as they can since they're going through the trouble of learning 100 minutes of new music to perform for Morsefest and CTTE.

-Marc.

Yeah, not sure for the tour, but I'm thinking for the one weekend of Morsefest, we see both Daniel and Ted.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4700 on: August 04, 2021, 07:04:16 PM »
Unless something major has changed I can say very confidently that Ted Leonard is the "5th member" of Transatlantic. Only way Daniel is there alone is if Ted can't or doesn't want it anymore.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kram

« Reply #4701 on: August 04, 2021, 07:28:49 PM »
Unless something major has changed I can say very confidently that Ted Leonard is the "5th member" of Transatlantic. Only way Daniel is there alone is if Ted can't or doesn't want it anymore.

I would predict then that Ted will be the "5th member" for the tour, however for the Moresfest weekend (and probably the cruise as well), we'll also see an appearance from Daniel.  That's my prediction lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4702 on: August 04, 2021, 08:27:53 PM »
Have Ted sing most of Pete's parts from The Absolute Universe and it would be even better. ;)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4703 on: August 05, 2021, 09:13:53 AM »
I would love to hear that :tup
In the series about Daniel and PoS, when they show the period that Daniel toured with Transatlantic, it seemed that he saw it more as a good exposure for him (and PoS) and like a job. He didn't seem very enthusiastic about Transatlantic's music. Ted, otherwise, seems, besides also being a very talented musician, a real fan of Transatlantic and Neal's work, so I think he's now the first option to complement the band live.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline 425

« Reply #4704 on: August 05, 2021, 10:03:46 AM »
That would make a lot of sense, because I've always found it a bit of a weird fit when I think about Pain of Salvation's style of music (and not just because I don't like them).
And if spirit's a sign,

Online HOF

« Reply #4705 on: August 05, 2021, 12:46:53 PM »
In the series about Daniel and PoS, when they show the period that Daniel toured with Transatlantic, it seemed that he saw it more as a good exposure for him (and PoS) and like a job. He didn't seem very enthusiastic about Transatlantic's music. Ted, otherwise, seems, besides also being a very talented musician, a real fan of Transatlantic and Neal's work, so I think he's now the first option to complement the band live.

That would make a lot of sense, because I've always found it a bit of a weird fit when I think about Pain of Salvation's style of music (and not just because I don't like them).

I dunno though, he's done a bunch of albums with The Flower Kings (as well as The Sea Within), and that's pretty similar music to TA. I don't like his voice at all though so I'd be happy if he weren't involved in either going forward though. :-)

Offline Kram

« Reply #4706 on: August 05, 2021, 01:30:59 PM »

Yes, I've watched that series and agree with you.  But he also seems pretty close to MP.  So if Mike were to ask him to participate, and he was already in the country preparing for the cruise, I could see him doing it.  That's why I feel he'll appear at Morsefest and the cruise, but not on the rest of the tour

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4707 on: August 05, 2021, 06:06:03 PM »
I'm admittedly not much of a Gildenlow fan, but he never struck me as that good of a fit as the 5th member of Transatlantic for touring purposes.  Heck, he seemed out of place as well during his tenure with The Flower Kings (even though I liked most of his vocal contributions there).  In other words, I agree that Ted Leonard seems like a much better fit. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4708 on: August 07, 2021, 01:37:22 PM »
I mean it is $325 for two shows, so not quite as bad (but definitely still up there)
Still $160+/show. And IIRC, we only paid $150 for two nights at the last Morsefest. There's also the all-important point that they'll no doubt play somewhere far more interesting than Cross Plains Tennessee that I can visit. I'd rather see them in PA or NY again.

I'm think there is a likelihood some more shows happening. The question is where and how many.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4709 on: August 07, 2021, 01:43:00 PM »
I get the appeal of doing TA rarities, and Neal has certainly done them at past Morsefests, but given that they’re doing TAU (presumably the Ultimate Version) which they have never played together as a band, and Whirlwind which hasn’t been played in full in over a decade, that’s a LOT of music to prepare and rehearse even without encores. Especially with all the choirs and strings and horns and whatever else they’ll surely add.
It’s certainly possible, but can’t see them wasting time with bonus tracks. If they do play then, cool. I’d love to be proven wrong.

I would bet money on Stranger on Your Soul being played though. Yeah it’s been played countless times before, but it’s a staple. There have been repeats at Morsefest before. Wind at My Back has been played 3 times, The Call has been played twice and as a part of The Great Medley, and they did the Whirlwind Medley in 2015 and now the whole thing is being played.

Exactly. Can't imagine a scenario where there will be enough rehearsal time. Anything that doesn't need a lot rehearsal or even some cool jams might be an option if they decide to go that way.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4710 on: August 07, 2021, 04:01:01 PM »
I love The Whirlwind!!!

The flow, the production, the energy, the powah!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4711 on: August 07, 2021, 08:06:27 PM »
Yep, The Whirlwind was the biggest selling point for me as far as paying that much for Morsefest.  Well, that and the assigned seating.  I wouldn't have paid that much without the assigned seating. But had it been advertised as TA playing The Absolute Universe and then everything else unannounced as of yet, I likely would have balked at paying that much to go.  Not that I do not like The Absolute Universe, as I do, but it has a few stretches that I can do without, and thus I do not view it as a consistent bad ass album from start to finish like Testimony 2 Disc 1, Similitude or The Whirlwind. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4712 on: August 07, 2021, 08:48:19 PM »
The assigned seating is huge. My biggest gripe about Morsefest 2019 was that we showed up a couple hours before door on Saturday and our seats were barely better than they were when we showed up at showtime on Friday.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4713 on: August 07, 2021, 08:59:14 PM »
I suspect the crazy high ticket prices for Morsefest are here to stay, but as long as the assigned seating remains a constant, I am good with it.  I just feel bad for the many fans who would love to go, but do not have that kind of money to plunk down to go. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4714 on: August 07, 2021, 09:59:56 PM »
I just feel bad for the many fans who would love to go, but do not have that kind of money to plunk down to go. 

This is kind of me, but my situation isn't Neal's fault.  My wife had expressed interest in the two of us going earlier in the year.  But my oldest is going away to college, and he decided on a private school that is going to be a LOT more than we thought we would be spending this first two years.  So I just can't justify spending this much on a concert right now, especially when you factor in the travel, etc.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4715 on: August 08, 2021, 07:08:23 PM »

Online The Letter M

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4717 on: August 09, 2021, 08:07:12 AM »
https://twitter.com/Transatlantic99/status/1424732406901362692?s=19

-Marc.

I was *just* about to share this here. Man, you're quick. Do you just have musicians' pages loaded up and on alert whenever any of them post?

-Jorge.

:lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4718 on: August 09, 2021, 08:13:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/Transatlantic99/status/1424732406901362692?s=19

-Marc.

I was *just* about to share this here. Man, you're quick. Do you just have musicians' pages loaded up and on alert whenever any of them post?

-Jorge.

:lol

Also, any bets on whether or not they'll record (audio and/or video) any shows outside of Morsefest for future release?

-Marc.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4719 on: August 09, 2021, 08:18:51 AM »
My bet is that they will only record MF, but who knows, maybe they end up doing as with FC where they recorded 2 shows.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4720 on: August 09, 2021, 08:20:05 AM »
My bet is that they will only record MF, but who knows, maybe they end up doing as with FC where they recorded 2 shows.

I see Tilburg is third to last. And we all know how much Neal and Mike love the Tilburg crowd!

Also, from Mike...

TRANSATLANTIC 2022 TOUR DATES!!

“Between releasing our latest album in the middle of a worldwide pandemic & shutdown, and the already difficult task of trying to align our different schedules even in the most normal of circumstances, it was uncertain if Transatlantic would ever get to play any shows in support of The Absolute Universe.

But now with the world slowly re-opening and the band already committing to a few one-off appearances in 2022 (Cruise To The Edge, Morsefest and a Festival in Romania), we’re excited to announce we were able to wrangle up some headlining shows surrounding these one-offs! (April in North America and July in EU/UK)

These are the ONLY shows we will be doing in support of The Absolute Universe so if we can’t make it to your area, it may be worth traveling to come see us and share these special shows with us. While we wish we could do a full proper tour, getting to play ANY shows for this album is an unexpected treat that we weren’t sure would ever happen…so better late than never!” - MP

North America dates:
April 15th • Glenside, PA - Keswick Theater
https://www.axs.com/events/409822/an-evening-with-transatlantic-tickets

April 16th • Montclair, NJ - Wellmont Theater
https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/02005AFEFC0F7014

April 18th • Quebec City, Quebec - Palais Montcalm
https://palaismontcalm.tuxedobillet.com/main/transatlantic

April 19th • Montreal, Quebec - M Telus
https://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/31005B03CBCC1934?lang=en-ca&brand=mtelus

April 21st • St Charles, IL - Arcada Theater
https://www.etix.com/ticket/p/4311193/transatlantic-stcharles-the-arcada-theatre?_ga=2.14751414.123937637.1628201559-79101957.1628201559

April 23rd • Los Angeles, CA - Belasco Theater
https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/09005B05AF17211D

April 24th • Berkeley, CA - UC Theatre
https://www.etix.com/ticket/p/4360146/an-evening-with-transatlantic-berkeley-the-uc-theatre

April 29th & 30th • Cross Plains, TN - MorseFest 2022
https://www.nealmorse.com/2021/08/01/morsefest-2022-on-sale-monday-aug-2/

May 2nd to 7th • Cruise To The Edge 2022
https://cruisetotheedge.com/book-now/

UK/Europe dates:
July 22nd - Sibiu, Romania - ARTmania Festival

July 24th - Cologne, Germany - E Werk
https://www.myticket.de/de/transatlantic-the-absolute-universe-2022-tour-tickets

July 25th - Tilburg, Netherlands – 013
https://www.ticketmaster.nl/event/272933?CAMEFROM=013&brand=nl_013web

July 27th - London, England - O2 Forum Kentish Town
https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/1F005AFE183A8DE7

July 28th - Paris, France – Olympia (NOT ON SALE UNTIL AUG 18TH)
www.olympiahall.com/evenements/transatlantic/

-Marc.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4721 on: August 09, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »
Damn, I'm glad they gave us a heads up before tickets went on sale. And honestly, putting them on sale 8 months out under the current circumstances is kind of a dick move. Guess I'll be sitting way in the back someplace.

edit: Also, I'll be waiting to find out what Haken's dates are, as well. Depending on where NYC is in the tour, there may be some overlap.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 425

« Reply #4722 on: August 09, 2021, 08:44:01 AM »
I don't know where I'm going to be living in 8 months, to be honest. With none of the shows taking place anywhere near where I'm likely to be, I'm probably going to balk again.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4723 on: August 09, 2021, 10:06:14 AM »
Wow; that WAS short notice.  I went online, and I had a minute and 50 seconds before tix went on sale.  But scored BIG:   Second row, right in front of Mike, for Montclair.   PUMPED.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #4724 on: August 09, 2021, 10:10:15 AM »
The ticketing was being odd for the LA show and only letting you click on specific seats for the balcony and not the floor, but ended up with floor front row seat 1! would love to do morsefest to see the whirlwind, but too hard to plan for right now especially with the expenses, on top of many other expensive tickets I've gotten lately.  either way thrilled to be seeing Transatlantic again, their Keswick show on the Kaleidoscope tour was incredible  :hefdaddy