Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 530657 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe
« Reply #4655 on: June 09, 2021, 08:52:31 AM »
Right, time to throw the cat among the pigeons and debate the real issues:

Is The Absolute Universe (whatever version you choose to consider) one single piece of music?
No.

Also, I have FINALLY given both album versions the attention I feel they deserve, and the longer version is the clear winner for me. 

I own, but have not yet taken the time to listen to, the Ultimate Edition.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4656 on: June 09, 2021, 08:52:56 AM »
Right, time to throw the cat among the pigeons and debate the real issues:

Is The Absolute Universe (whatever version you choose to consider) one single piece of music?

I think either Mike or Neal may have once said TAU was one single piece, a la The Whirlwind.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4657 on: June 09, 2021, 09:26:22 AM »
Any concept album could be considered a singular piece of music, sure, but it sounds like the real question is whether or not it is a single song, to which the obvious answer is no.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4658 on: June 09, 2021, 11:14:51 AM »
I'm expecting that we get The Whirlwind in its entirety one night and TAU (version tbd, but I'd guess the Ultimate) the other night. I know we already have two live releases of the Whirlwind, but I don't think they'll be able to resist giving what many consider their career highlight to date the full Morsefest treatment with the additional musicians and whatnot. And then we'll get some material from the other three albums as a second set/encore each night.

I fully intend on going and probably splurging for VIP. My only real complaint about Morsefest 2019 was that despite showing up a couple hours before doors on Saturday we still couldn't get decent seats, not making the same mistake again.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4659 on: June 09, 2021, 04:33:40 PM »
Asking if all these super long pieces are one long song is not much different than asking "Is 'Dark Side of the Moon' one song?" they're all suites that segue into each other.

I will say The Whirlwind or SDoIT are closer to epic songs than TAU, or Neal's Sola Gratia, or TFK's Islands. Because TW and SDoIT act like epics, there's a beginning, a middle and and end, with sections in between that move the plot along, so to speak. With TAU, the middle sounds like the end (last song on Forevermore disc 1) and the 2nd disc just sounds like a 2nd disc of related songs. Neal's edit makes TAU sound a little closer to being one song, but it doesn't cut the mustard for me. I still haven't listened to the Ultimate Edition yet, but I can't imagine it will change my opinion. The Absolute Universe sounds like it wants to be one big song but it just comes off like a series of individual songs with connecting themes sprinkled in, which is great for the full album experience, but tough for me to call these recent efforts by Neal, Roine, and co. true epics or one song.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4660 on: June 11, 2021, 03:43:59 PM »
https://transatlantic.lnk.to/BridgeAcrossForever-ReIssue2021

Bridge Across Forever vinyl re-issues have gone up for pre-order today! Hope you vinyl collectors snagged the limited edition colors that you wanted!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4661 on: June 11, 2021, 10:30:12 PM »
https://transatlantic.lnk.to/BridgeAcrossForever-ReIssue2021

Bridge Across Forever vinyl re-issues have gone up for pre-order today! Hope you vinyl collectors snagged the limited edition colors that you wanted!

-Marc.

I totally missed this was happening :D

I think it's weird they keep re-issuing stuff that was already available on this format before. Why not tackle Sola Scriptura, ?, One and Testimony II?
any rock can be made to roll

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4662 on: July 16, 2021, 02:57:48 PM »
For anyone interested, I've started a Transatlantic Survivor over in the Polls & Survivor subforum here!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56642.0

If you don't know what a Survivor is, it's a series of polls where we go album by album, and you pick your least favorite song within each album until we are down to the end, essentially ranking the albums' songs from least favorite to favorite by elimination. Then when all of the album survivors are done, the third place runner-ups from each album go into a "Consolation" round to decide two extra songs to join the Top 2 songs from each album for the Finals!

Here's the Results & Discussion thread for more information! Hope to see a few more voters over there!

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4663 on: July 26, 2021, 06:20:04 PM »
For anyone interested, I've started a Transatlantic Survivor over in the Polls & Survivor subforum here!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56642.0

If you don't know what a Survivor is, it's a series of polls where we go album by album, and you pick your least favorite song within each album until we are down to the end, essentially ranking the albums' songs from least favorite to favorite by elimination. Then when all of the album survivors are done, the third place runner-ups from each album go into a "Consolation" round to decide two extra songs to join the Top 2 songs from each album for the Finals!

Here's the Results & Discussion thread for more information! Hope to see a few more voters over there!

-Marc.

Apologies for the double post and bump, but I was hoping I could get some more voters in my Transatlantic Survivor. The Survivor for SMPT:e has encountered a tie that much be broken, so I'm hoping that more voters will help break the tie between "We All Need Some Light" and "My New World".

Also, later in the week, I'll be putting up the survivors for The Whirlwind (with its main 12 album tracks, plus the 4 bonus original songs), and The Absolute Universe. I'm not skipping Kaleidoscoope, as it will run after The Whirlwind finishes, but I wanted to keep two albums going simultaneously and doing the two longer survivors first keeps them at an almost-even pace, with the remainder of the rounds after The Whirlwind being taken up by Kaleidoscope.

Hope to see more voters there this week! There was a great turnout for SMPT:e's first round, with 17 voters, but then we dropped to 13 voters for round 2 (and BAF's first round), and then finally 12, so I am hoping to see some of those voters return!

-Marc.

Offline 425

« Reply #4664 on: July 26, 2021, 10:42:49 PM »
Voted. I'm going to try my best to keep up, but my weakness is that I tend to surf the GMD subforum exclusively, and so sometimes forget about P&S.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #4665 on: July 30, 2021, 08:14:00 AM »
Radiant just sent this email

FROM NEAL MORSE:
Hi, everyone!

Since we made the “hold the date” announcement a few weeks ago, some of you have been asking for more details regarding Morsefest 2022. Here's an update:

We are excited to let you know that Transatlantic will be playing The Absolute Universe AND The Whirlwind at Morsefest!! It’s going to be a really special weekend!

Second, by popular demand, we will have assigned ticketed seating at MF22. How it will work is when you buy your seat, it’s yours for the Friday and Saturday shows. (That will mean less need to be in line early, which I know many people have mentioned.) People who go for the VIP option will be able to choose seats in the front sections of the room and the remaining seats will be available to everyone else, so you can choose where you’d like to be!

I know that some people like to sit with friends they meet at Morsefest. You may need to coordinate your ticket buying if you want to sit together, so start thinking about that as we plan for tickets to go on sale Monday, August 2nd at 9:00 AM Central.

For MF22, the band have opted not to do a live stream, so that means we will be back to VIP sessions in the afternoon, followed by dinner and evening shows. However, both shows will be filmed and recorded for future release.

Finally, we will be running the events under whatever the current CDC regulations are at that time. At this point, we can’t know what those will be, but attendees will need to comply. In the extreme case that CDC regulations force us to change or cancel the event, we will refund ticket buyers.

I’m delighted that we finally got Transatlantic to Morsefest! We expect the event will sell out very quickly. We will share the web link to Eventbrite where you’ll be able to buy your ticket on Monday at 9:00 AM Central.

Blessings,

Neal

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4666 on: July 30, 2021, 08:44:45 AM »

Should be noted that in the image, they show the Ultimate cover, so it's safe to assume that's the version they'll play.

Now it also says "and more" which makes me wonder if we will get songs like "Spinning" from TW, or if they just mean a couple extra songs from SMPT:e, BAF, and Kaleidoscope.

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4667 on: July 30, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »
If the wife says yes then it's a go for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4668 on: July 30, 2021, 09:23:13 AM »
Now it also says "and more" which makes me wonder if we will get songs like "Spinning" from TW, or if they just mean a couple extra songs from SMPT:e, BAF, and Kaleidoscope.

-Marc.

As cool as it would be I can’t see them doing bonus tracks/rarities.

Here’s my prediction:

Night 1
The Absolute Universe Ultimate Edition in full

Encore:
We All Need Some Light
All of the Above

Night 2
The Whirlwind in full

Encore:
Shine (just to have something to represent Kaleidoscope)
Stranger in Your Soul

Two cool-down acoustic songs and two of their epics. Pretty standard but I think it’s realistic.

Depending on if they’re just doing 1 set plus an encore or 2 sets plus an encore they certainly have time for more but that’s a lot of music to prepare and rehearse.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4669 on: July 30, 2021, 11:04:14 AM »

-Marc.

Here’s my prediction:

Night 1

Encore:
We All Need Some Light
All of the Above

Night 2
The Whirlwind in full

Encore:
Stranger in Your Soul

Two cool-down acoustic songs and two of their epics. Pretty standard but I think it’s realistic.

Depending on if they’re just doing 1 set plus an encore or 2 sets plus an encore they certainly have time for more but that’s a lot of music to prepare and rehearse.

This honestly seems the most likely approach. I would love to see them perform "Suite Charlotte Pike" without any Beatles additions, or perhaps bring back "Mystery Train", but those are less likely.

Also, coincidentally, as Neal announced their performances of TW and TAU in full, I've begun the album survivors for those two albums in the Polls & Survivors subforum here today! Be sure to check them out and cast your vote. These are longer album survivors so I hope to see plenty of voter turnout to make it a lot more interesting!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4670 on: July 31, 2021, 08:36:00 AM »
Your Transatlantic survivor poll series inspired me to re-listen to some TA. It's been a few months.
Starting with Bridge Across Forever.
LOVE Duel With The Devil!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4671 on: July 31, 2021, 09:04:52 AM »
I’m still processing Forevermore. I want to become totally familiar with it before I spin TBOL so I can pick up on the differences.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4672 on: August 01, 2021, 07:42:46 AM »
Radiant just sent this email

FROM NEAL MORSE:
Hi, everyone!

Since we made the “hold the date” announcement a few weeks ago, some of you have been asking for more details regarding Morsefest 2022. Here's an update:

We are excited to let you know that Transatlantic will be playing The Absolute Universe AND The Whirlwind at Morsefest!! It’s going to be a really special weekend!

Second, by popular demand, we will have assigned ticketed seating at MF22. How it will work is when you buy your seat, it’s yours for the Friday and Saturday shows. (That will mean less need to be in line early, which I know many people have mentioned.) People who go for the VIP option will be able to choose seats in the front sections of the room and the remaining seats will be available to everyone else, so you can choose where you’d like to be!

I know that some people like to sit with friends they meet at Morsefest. You may need to coordinate your ticket buying if you want to sit together, so start thinking about that as we plan for tickets to go on sale Monday, August 2nd at 9:00 AM Central.

For MF22, the band have opted not to do a live stream, so that means we will be back to VIP sessions in the afternoon, followed by dinner and evening shows. However, both shows will be filmed and recorded for future release.

Finally, we will be running the events under whatever the current CDC regulations are at that time. At this point, we can’t know what those will be, but attendees will need to comply. In the extreme case that CDC regulations force us to change or cancel the event, we will refund ticket buyers.

I’m delighted that we finally got Transatlantic to Morsefest! We expect the event will sell out very quickly. We will share the web link to Eventbrite where you’ll be able to buy your ticket on Monday at 9:00 AM Central.

Blessings,

Neal

That is hard to do when the band seemingly is not going to tell us ahead of time what the ticket prices are.  I have seen several ask on his FB forum what the ticket prices are, and his usual crew, who always seem to know everything, have ignored the question every time.  This is a bad look.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4673 on: August 01, 2021, 07:45:13 AM »
That's a big one for me.  I'm contemplating the trip next year, but it's not fair to commit without discussing it with my wife, and that conversation has to include "how much is this going to run us?".   She's not interested in the event itself, but might be convinced to go to Nashville with me, but still.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4674 on: August 01, 2021, 07:47:09 AM »
That's a big one for me.  I'm contemplating the trip next year, but it's not fair to commit without discussing it with my wife, and that conversation has to include "how much is this going to run us?".   She's not interested in the event itself, but might be convinced to go to Nashville with me, but still.

For sure.  I have a couple friends who are very interested in going, but will not commit without knowing the price ahead of time.  And it will be impossible to coordinate tomorrow on the fly at 9 am since some of us at work :P :lol, and there is no way I will have time tomorrow morning to text friends about ticket prices and whatnot, and this is likely to sell out fast, I would think.  This is very unfortunate.  The fans deserve better than this, quite frankly.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4675 on: August 01, 2021, 10:31:27 AM »
A number of you have asked us for details of ticket prices so you can make plans for buying your tickets for Morsefest 2022. As you will have read, everyone buying a ticket will also get to choose their seat for the whole Morsefest weekend.  So that means that in 2022, there are no “single night” tickets. We have split the venue into several different areas:

- VIP seats - for those buying VIP packages for Friday or Saturday. The VIP package includes: front of hall seats for both shows; a VIP Q&A session with Transatlantic followed by a meet and greet with the band,  where you will be able to get a personal item signed; a photograph taken with the band; the evening meal in the venue on the day you buy the VIP ticket for; an exclusive poster signed by the band; an exclusive VIP t shirt and… an exclusive VIP merch item which will be revealed nearer the time of the event.  The VIP package costs $749.

- Zone A seats - these are seats in the central section of the venue and so provide a straight line of sight to the stage.  Zone A seats cost $375.

- Zone B seats - these are the seats in the sides of the venue and also some rows in the back section.  These seats have a less clear line of sight to the stage and so they are at a lower price than the Zone A seats.  Zone B seats cost $325.

The venue holds 649 people in total, with 75 VIP tickets for each day… tickets are limited to this and there will be no extra capacity in the venue. 

So to get your seat, do get ready for 9:00 AM Central on Monday.  It may help if you set up an account at www.eventbrite.com in advance.  The ticket link is here https://www.eventbrite.com/e/morsefest-2022-tickets-164759830087

Posted by Neal about 32 minutes ago.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4676 on: August 01, 2021, 12:44:40 PM »
That is good to see.  I'd be fine with Zone A seats, but I have feeling the peeps I will go with will want the VIP tickets, so we will all likely talk this out tonight and figure out the way to go.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4677 on: August 01, 2021, 01:37:02 PM »
In a response to a fan asking about other shows, Mike said:

Re: other shows - we are hoping (fingers crossed🤞) to maybe book a few shows leading up to MF22…but if so, they would be a single traditional show performing The Absolute Universe…
MF22 will be the only time/place to get the 2 different shows

-Marc.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4678 on: August 02, 2021, 08:04:21 AM »
Got my Saturday VIP ticket. Painfully pricy, but Transatlantic doing Morsefest (and particularly playing all of The Whirlwind) is pretty much a once in a lifetime concert opportunity for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4679 on: August 02, 2021, 08:06:29 AM »
Tickets secured.

Row I, dead center on the aisle, happy about that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4680 on: August 02, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
Three-twenty-five is to much for me. Not on a practical level, but just on principle. Hell, I paid far less than that to see Roger Waters from 4th row. Not blaming the guy, he's got to eat and all, but I'll wait for one of the other shows. I've already seen the Whirlwind live anyway.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4681 on: August 02, 2021, 08:40:24 AM »
I mean it is $325 for two shows, so not quite as bad (but definitely still up there)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4682 on: August 02, 2021, 08:44:22 AM »
Got Row J.  Bring it on.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4683 on: August 02, 2021, 09:09:26 AM »
Tickets secured.

See you, Bill and Kev there.  We finally bit the bullet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4684 on: August 02, 2021, 09:13:38 AM »
Tickets secured.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas. This is also one of the rare shows Jennie is joining for, so you'll see her as well.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4685 on: August 02, 2021, 09:14:07 AM »
I mean it is $325 for two shows, so not quite as bad (but definitely still up there)
Still $160+/show. And IIRC, we only paid $150 for two nights at the last Morsefest. There's also the all-important point that they'll no doubt play somewhere far more interesting than Cross Plains Tennessee that I can visit. I'd rather see them in PA or NY again.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4686 on: August 02, 2021, 09:19:54 AM »
Tickets secured.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas. This is also one of the rare shows Jennie is joining for, so you'll see her as well.

Awesome!  Lisa will be stoked!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #4687 on: August 02, 2021, 09:33:00 AM »

-Marc.

Here’s my prediction:

Night 1

Encore:
We All Need Some Light
All of the Above

Night 2
The Whirlwind in full

Encore:
Stranger in Your Soul

To me, Morsefest is THE time to bring out the rarities. I would be SHOCKED to not see at least 2, if not all 4, of the Whirlwind bonus tracks played. And do we need ANOTHER Stranger performance? We have, like, 7 official live versions between TA, Neal Solo, and NMB (including Morsefest '14). Here's what I would want to hear:

Night One

The Whirlwind
---------intermission-----------
Mystery Train
Spinning
Suite Charlotte Pike
For Such a Time
Kaleidoscope

Night Two

The Absolute Universe
---------intermission-----------
Into the Blue
Lenny Johnson
We All Need Some Light
Lending A Hand
In Held (Twas) In I
---------encore-----------
Duel With the Devil

Remember, these guys do long shows, because they don't come out very often. 3 hour shows are kind of "normal" for them. That said, my night two might be too long. But it would still be awesome.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4688 on: August 02, 2021, 04:45:47 PM »
Tickets secured.

:hat :hat

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4689 on: August 03, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »
I get the appeal of doing TA rarities, and Neal has certainly done them at past Morsefests, but given that they’re doing TAU (presumably the Ultimate Version) which they have never played together as a band, and Whirlwind which hasn’t been played in full in over a decade, that’s a LOT of music to prepare and rehearse even without encores. Especially with all the choirs and strings and horns and whatever else they’ll surely add.
It’s certainly possible, but can’t see them wasting time with bonus tracks. If they do play then, cool. I’d love to be proven wrong.

I would bet money on Stranger on Your Soul being played though. Yeah it’s been played countless times before, but it’s a staple. There have been repeats at Morsefest before. Wind at My Back has been played 3 times, The Call has been played twice and as a part of The Great Medley, and they did the Whirlwind Medley in 2015 and now the whole thing is being played.