Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 531059 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe
« Reply #4550 on: April 18, 2021, 11:08:25 AM »
My opinion on The Absolute Universe has changed a little. I had the album as the 2nd best TA album for a while, tied with Bridge Across Forever, but it's slipped to 3rd now, tied with SMPTe for me. I think SMPTe might have the edge over this one as well, but I still think it's better than Kaleidoscope. Overall, I think Neal had the right idea to edit Forevermore, but I'm not sure the execution was the best it could have been. I think Neal cut too much out, and I think instead he should have been focused on letting the individual songs stand on their own more. The best example of this I can recall is during Solitude. There was no need for Neal to come in seemingly out of nowhere with one of the earlier themes we've already heard multiple times at that point in the Forevermore album.

I think the first disc starts out strong enough, and more or less maintains that high level until the end. However, the 2nd disc is where I could see some things being cut out, along with the many reprises littered throughout, and a couple of the songs could have been on the hypothetical bonus disc, along with Can You Feel It from TBOL. The last few songs are good but this is where Neal made the right call on editing the last few tracks. Of course, the anti-climatic last song Love Made A Way has all the right ingredients for an epic finale, but I think it still could have used more work, and if the many main themes of the album that pop up all over the place were lessened and/or edited out between Bully and Looking for the Light (Reprise), I think the lead up to the finale would have been greater, as I would have missed those earlier themes by this point in the album, and welcomed them with open arms.

This is after not listening to the album or other similar music for the last month or more, so I'm coming in with fresh ears, and it's like I understand where Neal was coming from now, but I think the album needed more work besides just editing some parts out, editing out complete songs, and sticking in one new song that is just a short, mediocre song. So TBOL doesn't cut the mustard either.

Still a good album, and their best since The Whirlwind. I like the framework of albums like TW, TAU, similar to the recent TFK, NM solo, and TNMB albums; continuously flowing music. My only issue is I don't want that on every album, and there needs to be a payoff at or near the end of the album, otherwise, the experience is like a musical version of the show 'Lost'. If you've never watched the show, you should watch it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4551 on: April 18, 2021, 02:31:42 PM »
I know what you mean about the ending.  I like the last song, but it doesn't give me that "holy crap, this is epic as hell" feeling that I get from the end of Stranger in Your Soul, or the last song on The Whirlwind, or other Neal album endings like Broken Sky / Long Day (Reprise) or A Love That Never Dies.  It's a nice tune and then the album just kinda ends.  That is one of the reasons I just can't put it close to the level of the first three albums, all of which are near-perfect records (first two are basically perfect and then my only beef with TW is the first and last songs both being a bit overcooked, but I can usually get past that when listening).  There is plenty of greatness, but there are just too many "yeah but"s with The Absolute Universe.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4552 on: April 20, 2021, 10:51:34 AM »
So, even though I own the Deluxe box set, I wanted to order the stand-alone BD just so I can have it handy and not have to take the cardboard sleeved BD out of the box set whenever I  want to watch it. I ordered it from Radiant on March 30th and JUST NOW got my shipping notification email, 3 weeks later. Oof. I'm glad I wasn't itching to get it ASAP, but still... honestly, this is my first time experiencing a huge delay in order-to-shipment with Radiant.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4553 on: April 20, 2021, 12:15:45 PM »
Album is still #2 for me.  The only one I like better than this is Bridge Across Forever. 

Totally agree, though, about the anticlimactic ending.  That's now three albums in this band's body of work whose endings are less than ideal.  I don't like the cover song that closes the debut, I'm not a fan of the final track on The Whirlwind.  And here the last track, "Love Made a Way" should have been 1/2 or less as long as it is now.  There is no reason to keep banging on that chord for 3 more minutes, it just all feels very forced in the last several minutes of that song.  I'm a huge fan of epic endings, but they should be more like the end of Stranger In Your Soul.  It's big, it's huge, it's grandiose and bombastic but it's also over in about 2 minutes. That's how you end an epic.  Banging on the same chord for 3 minutes?  It's just...tedious.  I deleted that track and it's a big improvement.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4554 on: April 20, 2021, 12:19:26 PM »
So, even though I own the Deluxe box set, I wanted to order the stand-alone BD just so I can have it handy and not have to take the cardboard sleeved BD out of the box set whenever I  want to watch it. I ordered it from Radiant on March 30th and JUST NOW got my shipping notification email, 3 weeks later. Oof. I'm glad I wasn't itching to get it ASAP, but still... honestly, this is my first time experiencing a huge delay in order-to-shipment with Radiant.

-Marc.

They really screwed the pooch on this one.  I got my pre-ordered Deluxe set in 3 different shipments spread out over 2 months.  Absolutely ridiculous.  I'm not going to pre-order from Radiant again.  When I need to buy CDs or Vinyl or special packages I'm going to LaserCD.com.  I've never had a problem with an order from that place and pre-orders almost always arrive on or before release day.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4555 on: April 20, 2021, 01:05:41 PM »

-Marc.

They really screwed the pooch on this one.  I got my pre-ordered Deluxe set in 3 different shipments spread out over 2 months.  Absolutely ridiculous.  I'm not going to pre-order from Radiant again.  When I need to buy CDs or Vinyl or special packages I'm going to LaserCD.com.  I've never had a problem with an order from that place and pre-orders almost always arrive on or before release day.

Prices competitive?  I notice on some of these releases the pricing is all over the place.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4556 on: April 20, 2021, 02:11:45 PM »
To be honest I don't pay a lot of attention to the prices unless the difference is outrageous and I've never noticed anything that was abnormally high.  If he prices things a little higher, I'm OK with it as long as the service continues the way it has. I've bought from Ken for more than 15 years and never had any problems.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4557 on: April 20, 2021, 03:29:24 PM »
I don't buy physical CDs anymore, but back when I used to, LaserCD rocked.  Assuming their service is still similar to what it was 10-15 years ago, I highly recommend them as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4558 on: April 21, 2021, 07:43:11 AM »
Apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseam (which I suspect it has), but I finally got around to listening to the extended edition.  Holy fucking bloat.  I know which one I'm purchasing now.  the additional 30 minutes made the whole thing feel more like a Neal Morse solo album - my sense is most of the extra 30 minutes was voiced by Neal, and the extended edition had a much larger religious vibe.  Maybe that's just me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

« Reply #4559 on: April 21, 2021, 08:13:58 AM »
Apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseam (which I suspect it has), but I finally got around to listening to the extended edition.  Holy fucking bloat.  I know which one I'm purchasing now.  the additional 30 minutes made the whole thing feel more like a Neal Morse solo album - my sense is most of the extra 30 minutes was voiced by Neal, and the extended edition had a much larger religious vibe.  Maybe that's just me.

Nope. The extended edition (Forevermore) was headed up by Roine and the abridged (Breath of Life) is the one that Neal took over. They both share similar religious themes, but Forevermore contains more Roine material.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4560 on: April 21, 2021, 08:19:37 AM »
I guess it is just me then!  :lol  Either way, the Forevermore was a chore to get thru, and it felt every bit a 90 minute double album.  I just purchased The Breath of Life.  Ironically, I find those two subtitles to be quite apt.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4561 on: April 21, 2021, 04:51:38 PM »
Kaleidoscope is growing on me a little. After TAU's release I'm more accepting that it's not their best album.... but:
I think Into The Blue is an underrated epic that just doesn't quite hit the highs of previous epics but has some killer parts.
I don't hate Shine, and it has a nice Roine solo in it.
Black As The Sky is an OK tune, never been blown away by it.
The 4th track Beyond the Sun is a throwaway track. Totally unnecessary.
The title track is growing on me, my favorite part is the Black Gold section and some other parts.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4562 on: April 22, 2021, 02:05:29 AM »
Roine wrote this in a TFK group on Facebook two days ago, under the name Pale Rider:

"I actually had a first listen to both yesterday - I hadn't heard it in months - and have to agree 'Forevermore' is the by far better mix - and better songstucture .....imho .... could you guess !!? - Mixwise it has the bass & guitars more audible - It just feels more musical and organic - Possibly has less limiter on master too - so my system and subwoofer responded accordingly - great!"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/908494075873543
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4563 on: April 22, 2021, 05:09:37 AM »
I agree with Roine, the mix is a lot better on Forevermore than on TBOL.
On Forevermore, the bass punches through more, the guitars are more audible, and

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4564 on: April 29, 2021, 04:57:07 PM »
Neal just shared this upset about 25 minutes ago:

Tomorrow is the official release date of the reissue of Transatlantic’s SMPTe on vinyl.  Unfortunately we haven’t yet received our stock of Cover To Cover, Cover 2 Cover and SMPTe vinyl from the supplier.

Apologies to everyone but I can assure you that when the stock arrives, it will be dispatched as quickly as possible. I know you’ll enjoy them a lot when they arrive and at Radiant, we really appreciate your order and your patience.

So if you ordered your SMPTe vinyl from Radiant, you'll have to wait (even) longer (than usual).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #4565 on: April 29, 2021, 05:07:08 PM »
Roine wrote this in a TFK group on Facebook two days ago, under the name Pale Rider:

"I actually had a first listen to both yesterday - I hadn't heard it in months - and have to agree 'Forevermore' is the by far better mix - and better songstucture .....imho .... could you guess !!? - Mixwise it has the bass & guitars more audible - It just feels more musical and organic - Possibly has less limiter on master too - so my system and subwoofer responded accordingly - great!"

Maybe it's my imagination, but I sense a subtle friction between Neal and Roine over the different versions of Transatlantic's output.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4566 on: April 29, 2021, 05:38:15 PM »

Maybe it's my imagination, but I sense a subtle friction between Neal and Roine over the different versions of Transatlantic's output.

Maybe recently due to the different versions of TAU, but IIRC Roine stated that while they had disagreements over TAU, it wasn't anything personal.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #4567 on: April 30, 2021, 04:57:11 AM »
Kaleidoscope is growing on me a little. After TAU's release I'm more accepting that it's not their best album.... but:
I think Into The Blue is an underrated epic that just doesn't quite hit the highs of previous epics but has some killer parts.
The title track is growing on me, my favorite part is the Black Gold section and some other parts.

I'd argue Kaleidoscope may not be their best album, but it's fairly solid.

I think Into The Blue is an underrated epic that absolutely hits the highs of previous epics.
Shine is about the best thing TA have recorded, love it.
The 4th track Beyond the Sun is nice enough, but not essential
The title track is a mess and lets the whole album down. it has no cohesion, and no idea what it's about.

It's a lot like the first album to me, which is what lets it down, the repetition of ideas - a brilliant epic, a lovely acoustic guitar led track, an Ok rocker, and then ends on a pile of overlong nonsense I never want to listen to again. It wouldn't be so bad if TAU wasn't re-treading The Whirlwind.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline 425

« Reply #4568 on: April 30, 2021, 08:45:20 AM »

I think Into The Blue is an underrated epic that absolutely hits the highs of previous epics.
The title track is a mess and lets the whole album down. it has no cohesion, and no idea what it's about.

It's a lot like the first album to me, which is what lets it down, the repetition of ideas - a brilliant epic, a lovely acoustic guitar led track, an Ok rocker, and then ends on a pile of overlong nonsense I never want to listen to again. It wouldn't be so bad if TAU wasn't re-treading The Whirlwind.

I have a very positive opinion of Kaleidoscope, but almost exactly the opposite ranking of the tracks. I think the title track is wonderful; it's my second-favorite of their 25-35 minute songs after All of the Above. I think Black as the Sky is really good, second best on the album. Then I'd put Into the Blue, which I think is a good song but not up to the level of their other epics in this range, and Beyond the Sun in about the same place. Shine is the one I could absolutely do without—it's fine, but not particularly interesting to me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4569 on: April 30, 2021, 11:24:39 AM »

For me, the two epics on Kaleidoscope are easily the least songs on the album. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4570 on: April 30, 2021, 11:35:18 AM »
Black As The Sky is my big favorite on that album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4571 on: May 05, 2021, 07:43:40 AM »
I have no intention to ever listen to The Breath of Life again. Forevermore is the album for me.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4572 on: May 05, 2021, 08:36:48 AM »
I have no intention to ever listen to The Breath of Life or Forevermore again. The Ultimate Mix is the album for me.

Fixed that for me.

I mean, I might occasionally listen to TBOL or Forevermore again, but in the last month or more, if I wanted to listen to TAU, it was the Ultimate Mix for me, but I still have all 3 versions on my phone.

-Marc.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4573 on: May 05, 2021, 08:51:35 AM »
I have no intention to ever listen to The Breath of Life again. Forevermore is the album for me.
Sort of the other way round for me, although it's more accurate to say I have no intention of listening to any of the official mixes because I prefer my own mix (TBOL with three Forevermore tracks added in).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4574 on: May 05, 2021, 11:35:40 AM »
I have no intention to ever listen to The Breath of Life or Forevermore again. The Ultimate Mix is the album for me.

Fixed that for me.

I mean, I might occasionally listen to TBOL or Forevermore again, but in the last month or more, if I wanted to listen to TAU, it was the Ultimate Mix for me, but I still have all 3 versions on my phone.

-Marc.

Same here.  I like The Ultimate Mix the best.  I don't care if it takes riding back and forth to work 6 times to hear the whole thing  :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #4575 on: May 05, 2021, 11:45:52 AM »

Fixed that for me.

-Marc.

Same here.  I like The Ultimate Mix the best.  I don't care if it takes riding back and forth to work 6 times to hear the whole thing  :lol

I wish I could get a download of the Ultimate mix or that they'd release it on CD - don't have a Blu-Ray player.  As far as TBOL vs. Forevermore - Forevermore has to win based on The World We Used to Know alone.  That's like the best song on the whole thing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4576 on: May 05, 2021, 12:38:02 PM »
  As far as TBOL vs. Forevermore - Forevermore has to win based on The World We Used to Know alone.  That's like the best song on the whole thing

Agreed.  If someone told me, "you only get one or the other for the rest of your life," with any amended mix or the Ultimate edition not an option, I am taking Forevermore simply because The World We Used to Know is a must-have.  That song is just way too awesome to not have.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #4577 on: May 05, 2021, 01:12:42 PM »
  As far as TBOL vs. Forevermore - Forevermore has to win based on The World We Used to Know alone.  That's like the best song on the whole thing

Agreed.  If someone told me, "you only get one or the other for the rest of your life," with any amended mix or the Ultimate edition not an option, I am taking Forevermore simply because The World We Used to Know is a must-have.  That song is just way too awesome to not have.

I was about to ask this question. I want to dl this from iTunes and I can’t justify getting both. If I’m only getting one...Forevermore? Like, am I really missing out not getting The Breath of Life?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Kram

« Reply #4578 on: May 05, 2021, 01:32:49 PM »

I was about to ask this question. I want to dl this from iTunes and I can’t justify getting both. If I’m only getting one...Forevermore? Like, am I really missing out not getting The Breath of Life?

I haven't heard one note of The Breath of Life, but for me, Forevermore is the second best thing they've done after BAF.  I think its an amazing piece of work - better even than TW, and that's saying a lot.  My opinion of course.  What I mentioned above, if you just get TBOL, you'll be missing what I consider the best song on TAU, which is The World we Used to Know.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4579 on: May 05, 2021, 01:48:42 PM »

Probably.  But it's a difficult question to answer because a lot of people have posted different opinions about which they prefer, and the results vary for a variety of reasons.  But from what I have seen, I think more have said they prefer Forevermore.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4580 on: May 05, 2021, 01:53:58 PM »

I've heard all three versions of the album at least 10 times each - I think I've heard Forevermore probably closer to 20 times now.

In my opinion The Breath of Life sounds a lot closer to a Neal Morse solo album than the other two versions.  I don't regret getting them all but knowing what I know now I would probably not bother with The Breath of Life.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4581 on: May 05, 2021, 01:56:49 PM »
Barry, given what you just said, I'm curious about more specifically how you view your purchase of The Breath of Life, personally.  Would you say it is more "It is the lesser version, so I will rarely spin it, but I think it is worth pulling off the shelf for a spin every now and then," or "glad I heard it, but I probably won't ever listen to it anymore now," or something else?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4582 on: May 05, 2021, 02:04:43 PM »
Eh, well, I'm a collector so I'm still glad I have it.  I may spin it once in a great while just for a change of pace, but I did delete it from my iPhone.  It's on Amazon anyway and I'm a subscriber so I can listen whenever I feel that I need to but if I want a fix of that kind of thing I'll usually just dig into "?" or "Testimony 2" or one of the NMB albums.

I can't help feeling that there is more to this multiple album versions than the band is letting on.  As I've seen mentioned elsewhere and on social media, I sense a bit of tension between Neal and Roine.  I can't point to anything specific, call it a gut feeling.

Transatlantic is supposed to be a collaboration.  I just find it very strange that Neal would break off and create his own very different mix of the same album they all just worked on together.  I know it was done with the apparent blessing of the rest of the group, but I just get a feeling that we haven't gotten the entire story behind it and that it either was due to some existing tension or the act of doing it created some new tension...

It's all speculation, though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4583 on: May 05, 2021, 02:38:22 PM »
Yeah, I have wondered similar things myself.  I hate to go down that road because, as you point out, it is purely speculative.  And what we, as fans, actually know is such a tiny, insignificant fraction of the working relationship between these guys that we couldn't possibly know what actually happened.  The little bits we have could ultimately be very misleading, and this "compromise" could very well have been a hugely positive thing that brought them even closer together, for all we know.  But, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised either if there were in fact some issues.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4584 on: May 05, 2021, 02:44:16 PM »
Regarding possible tensions between Roine and Neal, I think I have seen/heard/read some stuff that might indicate that Roine may have had some hard feelings when it came to Neal wanting to do his own version of the album. Despite saying he was an "equal opportunity" editor when it came to taking out people's music, I feel like Neal took out a lot of Roine's music and parts, including one big contribution in "The World We Used To Know", and he even wrote in new guitar parts he played himself.

Like, I get it, Neal wanted to craft a single-disc stand-alone album and needed to edit some stuff around and add new things to make it coherent, but at the same time, it almost felt unnecessary. I think Neal may have felt like he didn't get his way enough during the TAU sessions, and I kind of sensed that watching the Making Of video. They didn't write the album at his home studio, so maybe Neal felt out of his comfort zone, and Roine did end up with quite a bit of good material on Forevermore, probably more material than he is used to having on a TA album (percentage wise).

I think these tensions may have even started during the Kaleidoscope sessions, as Roine didn't even perform on "Beyond The Sun" (the slide guitar is credited to Rich Mouser), as he didn't feel like it needed to be the album at all, and more or less refused to write/record any guitar parts for it, so Neal got Rich to do some. I think Roine didn't think too highly of Kaleidoscope as a whole, though he did contribute to the best part of "Shine" with the guitar solo/bridge, which, without it, would have been a fairly boring Neal Morse solo acoustic guitar ballad, and an even poorer man's "We All Need Some Light".

I think if Pete hadn't initially thought that TA5 should have been shorter, then when Neal had the idea to make an edit, there might not have been a 2-vs-2 vote on how to format the album. Thankfully Mike's idea to present both to Inside Out made it so that the band could continue working on the album and release it, because I'm not sure if it would've happened had they reached an impasse and could not agree on what to do with the album. Perhaps it would've just been edited down slightly to fit 80 minutes, and then we'd all directly compare it to The Whirlwind. Giving us simultaneously the longest and shortest TA album the band has released makes The Absolute Universe stand out among the other four albums because it's a unique way to present the material, and probably something that won't ever happen again (at least with Transatlantic).

If COVID didn't happen, we would've only gotten Forevermore, and I think they would've toured on it just fine, and perhaps there would not be any possible tensions or hard feelings, at least from Roine, but I wonder if Neal would have ever come out and said that he really wanted the album to be a shorter, single disc album. But because the pandemic DID happen, they both got their own versions of the album out, and do not have to worry about how to play the album live for a possible tour. Part of me thinks they are both glad they don't have to tour TAU, because I'm sure the logistics of figuring out how to play it all might have caused some more tension between them. Maybe once a Transatlantic tour is possible, they'll have talked it out and may be things will be good enough between them. I just don't want them to split the band up because of it and never play The Absolute Universe (any version of it) live. It'd be like Spock's Beard's Snow all over again, with no proper tour, and the only hope being a huge reunion show over a decade later (and I doubt they'll all be willing to play a massive album like TAU when they're in their 60s/70s).

-Marc.