Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 528471 times)

Offline DTA

Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe pre-orders
« Reply #3710 on: January 17, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »
Not bagging on Mike at all...he bas earned his place in drumming history and can do as he pleases at this point. Having said that, as a listener and long time fan, I've not heard a single new fill or approach in any of the 3 songs. Almost everything is a left to right, roll type of fill, or his signature feet/ hand combination fills-- also mostly left to right. Does he serve the songs well? Yep. Is he dead on the click? Yep. He does everything he should and yet it doesn't draw me in like it used to. My problem not his. I miss the days when he blew my mind with every new album.

I’d like to hear him bring back auxiliary percussion (octobans, tambourine, cowbell, timbales) and incorporate them into grooves. He did it on FII and it gave the drumming on that album a unique and exotic flavor. But I don’t think he’s interested in breaking new ground and just wants to do his thing to get done recording as quick as possible.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3711 on: January 17, 2021, 02:13:24 PM »
I think he's more interested into the overall product than proving himself with his playing.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #3712 on: January 17, 2021, 05:44:46 PM »
I quite enjoyed the instrumental for the new single. I think what's not doing it for me are some of the vocal melodies, most of them are just not quite memorable. Portnoy's vocal section also could have gone down wayyyy worse, though it does overstay its welcome a tad. I think his voice is more appreciable in doses, or when they're meant to accent the songs he appears on.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3713 on: January 17, 2021, 09:04:41 PM »
Got to say that I’m not in love with any of the songs released thus far.  If I wasn’t already a fan, I would probably have no interest in buying it based on the singles alone.  I’m still fairly confident I’ll like the album as a whole as I like all the others but am a little concerned with an earlier comment where it’s suggested that vocals are shared fairly equally amongst the four of them.  That would be a big concern for me if it’s true.  I’m not a fan of Mike as a lead vocalist at all.  He can hold a tune just about but is utterly unremarkable as a vocalist.  Pete has a pleasant voice and is ok in small doses if they pick the right moments to suit his voice but I really want to hear Neal and Roine taking most of the lead vocals and am hoping I misunderstood what the earlier poster is saying.

I’m still excited for this as it’s new TA but, if the singles were supposed to hype me up further, they’ve failed in that regard as they have done the opposite.

I cannot recall what the exact breakdown is on the lead vocals, but I would suspect that Neal still does the most, Roine does the second most by a wide distance, and then the other two do just the occasional lead vocal.  That was the balance on the last three TA albums and I can't imagine they would stray too far from that formula. 

Yeah, that's basically right, I think.  I kind of "feel" like Neal and Roine are close, but Neal probably has more than I realize.  But, yeah, Mike and Pete are far distant to the other two.  I mean, there are still heavily present in the harmonies and the call/response parts, but so are Neal and Roine.  Not sure who said the vocals are divided "equally."  I don't recall reading that, but if somebody did say that, it isn't accurate.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3714 on: January 18, 2021, 03:05:21 AM »
I quite enjoyed the instrumental for the new single. I think what's not doing it for me are some of the vocal melodies, most of them are just not quite memorable. Portnoy's vocal section also could have gone down wayyyy worse, though it does overstay its welcome a tad. I think his voice is more appreciable in doses, or when they're meant to accent the songs he appears on.

It's not like they've been around for 50 years but I'm not expecting super-fresh "songs" (i mean the singing parts rather than the jams)  from this release, given how much material they've already done, and how largely similar it all is. They're not remotely progressive afaic, but I'm just hoping for another quality release. (Or two in this case)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3715 on: January 18, 2021, 03:17:24 AM »
Not bagging on Mike at all...he bas earned his place in drumming history and can do as he pleases at this point. Having said that, as a listener and long time fan, I've not heard a single new fill or approach in any of the 3 songs. Almost everything is a left to right, roll type of fill, or his signature feet/ hand combination fills-- also mostly left to right. Does he serve the songs well? Yep. Is he dead on the click? Yep. He does everything he should and yet it doesn't draw me in like it used to. My problem not his. I miss the days when he blew my mind with every new album.

I think this is probably inevitable with just about any artist.  I mean, no musician is going to be able to blow your mind on every album.   After the very mediocre Kaleidoscope my expectations for this album are very, VERY low. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3716 on: January 18, 2021, 03:18:53 AM »
Oh, and I absolutely love Mike Portnoy's drumming, but his voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3717 on: January 18, 2021, 07:10:57 AM »
Got to say that I’m not in love with any of the songs released thus far.  If I wasn’t already a fan, I would probably have no interest in buying it based on the singles alone.  I’m still fairly confident I’ll like the album as a whole as I like all the others but am a little concerned with an earlier comment where it’s suggested that vocals are shared fairly equally amongst the four of them.  That would be a big concern for me if it’s true.  I’m not a fan of Mike as a lead vocalist at all.  He can hold a tune just about but is utterly unremarkable as a vocalist.  Pete has a pleasant voice and is ok in small doses if they pick the right moments to suit his voice but I really want to hear Neal and Roine taking most of the lead vocals and am hoping I misunderstood what the earlier poster is saying.

I’m still excited for this as it’s new TA but, if the singles were supposed to hype me up further, they’ve failed in that regard as they have done the opposite.

I cannot recall what the exact breakdown is on the lead vocals, but I would suspect that Neal still does the most, Roine does the second most by a wide distance, and then the other two do just the occasional lead vocal.  That was the balance on the last three TA albums and I can't imagine they would stray too far from that formula. 

Yeah, that's basically right, I think.  I kind of "feel" like Neal and Roine are close, but Neal probably has more than I realize.  But, yeah, Mike and Pete are far distant to the other two.  I mean, there are still heavily present in the harmonies and the call/response parts, but so are Neal and Roine.  Not sure who said the vocals are divided "equally."  I don't recall reading that, but if somebody did say that, it isn't accurate.

That’s good to hear.  The post didn’t say exactly that they were divided equally which is why I said that I was hoping that I was misinterpreting it.  What Fritzinger said at the top of the previous page was  “finally it feels like the four are (almost) equal singers in the band”.

I’m totally down for them being in harmonies and having moments (particularly Pete) like they always have done.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3718 on: January 18, 2021, 08:46:31 AM »
TheProg Report reviews:

Their look at Transatlantic's The Absolute Universe, a release so big it required two reviews. Find them here:

The Breath of Life: https://progreport.com/transatlantic-the-absolute-universe-the-breath-of-life-album-review/

Forevermore: https://progreport.com/transatlantic-the-absolute-universe-forevermore-album-review/

Offline emtee

« Reply #3719 on: January 18, 2021, 10:49:24 AM »
More great reviews!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3720 on: January 18, 2021, 10:55:25 AM »
BTW I have an audio BOOTLEG of the show of TA in Mexico City, Feb 11th, 2014. If anyone wants it let me know. It's not from the console but it sounds pretty decent.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 11:09:43 AM by MinistroRaven »

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3721 on: January 18, 2021, 11:39:12 AM »
Yes please.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Skeever

Re: Transatlantic: TA5 in production
« Reply #3722 on: January 18, 2021, 11:58:36 AM »
I'm calling it right now - someone in the band got tired of Neal's born-again lyrics and themes. I'm guessing that the shorter album cuts out or changes a good deal of Neal's religious content, and then the longer album is the Christian Rock Director's Cut. Time will tell...

Looks like I was heading in the right direction with this...

Anyway, I'll buy the complete edition anyway. I just hope this really was because they wanted to try something new and not because there's a rift between the band and Neal that could have only been overcome with something like this.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3723 on: January 18, 2021, 01:16:40 PM »
Didn’t I see an interview with Mike where he said that the longer version is more Roine’s baby and Neal is more about the shorter one?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3724 on: January 18, 2021, 01:23:22 PM »
Didn’t I see an interview with Mike where he said that the longer version is more Roine’s baby and Neal is more about the shorter one?

Pretty much confirmed by the prog report reviews as well.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3725 on: January 18, 2021, 01:38:19 PM »

But that's the exact opposite of what you just posted above

I'm calling it right now - someone in the band got tired of Neal's born-again lyrics and themes. I'm guessing that the shorter album cuts out or changes a good deal of Neal's religious content, and then the longer album is the Christian Rock Director's Cut. Time will tell...

Anyway, I'll buy the complete edition anyway. I just hope this really was because they wanted to try something new and not because there's a rift between the band and Neal that could have only been overcome with something like this.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3726 on: January 18, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »
From MP FB page:

Transatlantic fans! Here’s something to breathe some life into your Zoom chats.  Pre-save ’The Absolute Universe: The Breath of Life” on Spotify and get 2 Zoom virtual backgrounds to download featuring ’The Breath of Life’ and ‘Forevermore' album covers.  Get them here: https://forms.sonymusicfans.com/campaign/transatlantic_theabsoluteuniverse_presave/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3727 on: January 18, 2021, 01:54:11 PM »
So, apparently Zoom backgrounds are the 2021 version of the "mousepad".  :) :)

Offline HOF

« Reply #3728 on: January 18, 2021, 01:56:38 PM »
I’m just sitting here wondering what it means to “pre-save” something on Spotify. Like, I can conceptualize it, but what is the value to either to the band or Spotify?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3729 on: January 18, 2021, 02:18:44 PM »

Right - The Breath Of Life is, more or less, Neal's version of the album, with Forevermore (the originally conceived version) having more of Roine's touch, and the 5.1 Ultimate Mix being spearheaded by Mike. I think the Abridged version might have MORE Neal, especially since he wrote a new song for it, and the lyrics and vocalists were changed around on some songs, so if you want a less-Neal-focused version of the album, definitely go for Forevermore or the Ultimate Edition 5.1 mix.

I’m just sitting here wondering what it means to “pre-save” something on Spotify. Like, I can conceptualize it, but what is the value to either to the band or Spotify?

I'm not sure. I guess it's like a digital pre-order? I don't do Spotify myself, so I'm not sure what the benefit really is, other than free Zoom backgrounds (but I don't do Zoom either, so I'm definitely not the target audience at all here).

BTW I have an audio BOOTLEG of the show of TA in Mexico City, Feb 11th, 2014. If anyone wants it let me know. It's not from the console but it sounds pretty decent.

Sure! I'd be interested, I didn't realize they played BAF on the tour, and this show had Gildenlow too?! Very nice!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3730 on: January 18, 2021, 02:46:10 PM »

Right - The Breath Of Life is, more or less, Neal's version of the album, with Forevermore (the originally conceived version) having more of Roine's touch, and the 5.1 Ultimate Mix being spearheaded by Mike. I think the Abridged version might have MORE Neal, especially since he wrote a new song for it, and the lyrics and vocalists were changed around on some songs, so if you want a less-Neal-focused version of the album, definitely go for Forevermore or the Ultimate Edition 5.1 mix.

I'm not sure. I guess it's like a digital pre-order? I don't do Spotify myself, so I'm not sure what the benefit really is, other than free Zoom backgrounds (but I don't do Zoom either, so I'm definitely not the target audience at all here).

Sure! I'd be interested, I didn't realize they played BAF on the tour, and this show had Gildenlow too?! Very nice!

-Marc.

Yes. They played BAF.
DG was not on the tour. The image was taken from the official poster, by that time it was still unknown if Daniel would recover or not on time to tour with the band.

Check your PMs. I just sent you the file.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3731 on: January 18, 2021, 03:06:55 PM »
Yes. They played BAF.
DG was not on the tour. The image was taken from the official poster, by that time it was still unknown if Daniel would recover or not on time to tour with the band.

Ahh okay, a bit of accidental false-advertising. Looking at Setlist.fm, it seems that they played BAF only twice out of the whole tour! Guess they got an extra special show in Mexico.

Also, now I'm looking at the NY show at the Highline Ballroom, and I had no idea they played all those Beatles covers!! Would love to see some of that!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3732 on: January 18, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »
Yes. They played BAF.

Ahh okay, a bit of accidental false-advertising. Looking at Setlist.fm, it seems that they played BAF only twice out of the whole tour! Guess they got an extra special show in Mexico.

Also, now I'm looking at the NY show at the Highline Ballroom, and I had no idea they played all those Beatles covers!! Would love to see some of that!

-Marc.

Yeah! I think that was due to being the first time the band playing in there. I was fortunate to witness it!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3733 on: January 18, 2021, 03:31:15 PM »
Yes. They played BAF.

-Marc.

Yeah! I think that was due to being the first time the band playing in there. I was fortunate to witness it!

Looking at the Setlist.fm page for the show, and listening to a bit of the bootleg, it sounds like Neal had some keyboard malfunctions when they started playing "Black As The Sky" and so to buy some time, he picked up an acoustic guitar and played "Bridge Across Forever".

A similar issue happened in NYC when Pete's bass broke during the beginning of "All Of The Above" and they bust out a few extra Beatles covers before resuming the rest of the encore.

I guess I just never paid much attention to the night-to-night details of the Kaleidoscope tour, but it seems like they definitely had their work cut out for them!

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3734 on: January 19, 2021, 12:00:38 AM »

:lol  Um...no, not at all. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3735 on: January 19, 2021, 01:09:36 PM »
Just posted: Mike Portnoy Drum & Vox Cam for Transatlantic's Looking For The Light (Video Edit) (Headphone Mix)
Left Speaker: Full Band Mix
Right Speaker: Isolated MP Drums & Vox
From the upcoming Transatlantic Album(s) The Absolute Universe
https://youtu.be/ulRXGYDcKsY

Offline emtee

« Reply #3736 on: January 19, 2021, 02:45:33 PM »
I really enjoy that song now that I've heard it a few times. Mike does a very good job on vocals.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3737 on: January 19, 2021, 07:26:04 PM »
I liked it more on the second listen, but like the other early "singles," I won't go back to it until the album is out, all 33 versions. :lol  I don't want to overplay any of the songs prior to getting the whole thing, and it's not much longer... :hat :hat

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3738 on: January 20, 2021, 12:52:04 PM »
These just in at Radiant!! Order now at http://ow.ly/SqrK30rtuju

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKQ563dHB7E/
Roine got his in as well!

It's so close!!!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 12:59:49 PM by The Letter M »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3739 on: January 20, 2021, 02:12:41 PM »
:caffeine:  Even though I have heard it many times now, I want to own it.  And even after a pretty sizable Christmas music haul, I am still "behind" and have a number of items I am looking forward to as part of a late-February haul when Evergrey's new album comes out, including both versions of TAU.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3740 on: January 21, 2021, 08:10:13 AM »

Care to elaborate?

I'm not seeing much that can convince me that one of these albums is deliberately less "Christian rock" than the other.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3741 on: January 21, 2021, 08:15:47 AM »
Going to be a fun listen when all 3 versions of the album arrive. I'm already in the TA listening mode and this should be a fun listen either way.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3742 on: January 21, 2021, 08:24:31 AM »

Care to elaborate?

I'm not seeing much that can convince me that one of these albums is deliberately less "Christian rock" than the other.

Given that Neal was the one who suggested cutting down the original album and was eventually in charge of the shorter album, I doubt that the shorter album was put together to cut out a bunch of Neal's religious content :lol

Whether the shorter album is "more Christian" the the longer version, I don't know.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3743 on: January 21, 2021, 08:41:14 AM »
Depends, if the stuff cut from his version was all this stuff that detracted from the same message that every other Neal album has.

TA are less Christian Rock than Neal solo because of the other voices at the table, even though the Neal contributions are still the same as they've always been. It is dillusion by addition, which would be lost if you started to cut out all the non-Neal stuff.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3744 on: January 21, 2021, 08:50:15 AM »
I think Neal said in one of the interviews that his lyrics here are more about the concept selfishness and also re-wrote some of his stuff for The Breath of Life with the pandemic lockdown in mind.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."