Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 529274 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe pre-orders
« Reply #3675 on: January 14, 2021, 10:58:53 PM »
Honestly, if they had meant The Whirlwind to be separate songs instead of separate movements of a single song, I would say it is VERY similar to that album.

That's interesting! I get a very different feel than from The Whirlwind  ;) To me, The Absolute Universe is more melody/vocal-focused, which is great, because finally it feels like the four are (almost) equal singers in the band. The Whirlwind has a quite a few technical proggy instrumental parts (Is It Really Happening, Pieces Of Heaven), where the whole band gets to show what a powerhouse it is. I personally miss that a little on The Absolute Universe.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3676 on: January 15, 2021, 03:26:51 AM »
I have to be honest, from the reviews I am reading here I'm becoming less and less excited about this release.  I don't listen to Transatlantic for short songs and vocal melodies, I listen to them for the epics and crazy instrumental sections.  I hope I am going to like it and I will listen with an open mind, but from the descriptions I'm reading here, my expectations are very low.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3677 on: January 15, 2021, 07:09:38 AM »
NEW OFFICIAL VIDEO FOR LOOKING FOR THE LIGHT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvhvY-vUkLI&feature=emb_logo

Mike Portnoy comments: “Looking For The Light is one of the heavier tracks on The Absolute Universe. In the tradition of Transatlantic sharing all lead vocals, this track gave me my showcase to deliver the lead vocals as it called for a bit more of an aggressive approach.

This is one of the few tracks that remains primarily the same and appears on both versions of the album. However not content to keep it simple, the version included on the music video is actually a unique version which combines both "Looking For The Light" and its "Reprise" from later in the album into one combined version available only here in this video.”
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 07:20:29 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3678 on: January 15, 2021, 07:44:15 AM »
This video version is really better!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3679 on: January 15, 2021, 07:51:10 AM »
NEW OFFICIAL VIDEO FOR LOOKING FOR THE LIGHT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvhvY-vUkLI&feature=emb_logo

Mike Portnoy comments: “Looking For The Light is one of the heavier tracks on The Absolute Universe. In the tradition of Transatlantic sharing all lead vocals, this track gave me my showcase to deliver the lead vocals as it called for a bit more of an aggressive approach.

This is one of the few tracks that remains primarily the same and appears on both versions of the album. However not content to keep it simple, the version included on the music video is actually a unique version which combines both "Looking For The Light" and its "Reprise" from later in the album into one combined version available only here in this video.”

Oh wow, I didn't expect the video to be longer than the album track, both of which were also uploaded to YouTube (one being 4:00, the other 4:05). I listened to those album track versions earlier this morning, and one of the things that stood out to me was Mike's drum part that sounds almost exactly like a part from Yes' "Hold On" (from 90125).

As for the video itself, it's definitely in line with the others so far. I wonder if the visuals for the 5.1 mix will be something similar for each song, or if they're completely different from the style of the music videos shown so far? I really liked the black hole imagery, and the nod to the Kaleidoscope album cover was a nice touch!

Also, go figure - they took what was a 4-minute song on the album and decided to release it as a near-10-minute video single... how very Transatlantic of them!  :lol

Out of curiosity, I loaded up the music video and the TBOL version of the song at the same time, just to hear how/when they split in terms of each version. Seems like the reprise started at about 3:20 in the music video as the last 40 seconds of the album track don't appear in the video, so if you wanna hear those, just search YouTube for "Transatlantic Looking For The Light". I guess you could say we got a double-single today?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3680 on: January 15, 2021, 08:17:30 AM »
Honestly, if they had meant The Whirlwind to be separate songs instead of separate movements of a single song, I would say it is VERY similar to that album.

That's interesting! I get a very different feel than from The Whirlwind  ;) To me, The Absolute Universe is more melody/vocal-focused, which is great, because finally it feels like the four are (almost) equal singers in the band. The Whirlwind has a quite a few technical proggy instrumental parts (Is It Really Happening, Pieces Of Heaven), where the whole band gets to show what a powerhouse it is. I personally miss that a little on The Absolute Universe.

Well, it's not like those moments aren't there.  I mean, the video that was just released definitely gives a healthy dose of some of the instrumental madness.  They definitely bring it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3681 on: January 15, 2021, 08:32:37 AM »

Well, it's not like those moments aren't there.  I mean, the video that was just released definitely gives a healthy dose of some of the instrumental madness.  They definitely bring it.

This! After hearing the album versions of the single, I kind of felt like it lacked a bit of that instrumental madness, but hearing it in the reprise for this music video really assured me that they've still got it what it takes! Between the three singles, I have no worry that this album will be a great one. Everyday we get closer to the release date, and I grow more and more eager to listen to the whole thing!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3682 on: January 15, 2021, 08:36:46 AM »
I will listen again later, but pretty underwhelmed by the song, and I hate to be "that guy" again, but it's the vocals.  Mike Portnoy has actually improved as a vocalist over the years, but his voice still isn't strong enough to carry a song like that.  He actually sounds better singing lead on the softer more melodic stuff, as his non-strong voice can give it a weary feel that can sound nice, like on the A Salty Dog cover or the Fool in My Heart verses (Flying Colors), but the aggressive stuff he tries rarely works well at all.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3683 on: January 15, 2021, 08:41:34 AM »
As usual, I will check the video out after getting and listening to whole the album. The trailers and promo stuff I've found really hampers my enjoyment of the album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline HOF

« Reply #3684 on: January 15, 2021, 09:01:52 AM »
Happy Birthday to Pete Trewavas, or as H calls him, Trousers!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3685 on: January 15, 2021, 09:04:10 AM »
With all the videos released so far, we already have 28:33 minutes of music from the album! :o
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3686 on: January 15, 2021, 09:17:24 AM »
I will listen again later, but pretty underwhelmed by the song, and I hate to be "that guy" again, but it's the vocals.  Mike Portnoy has actually improved as a vocalist over the years, but his voice still isn't strong enough to carry a song like that.  He actually sounds better singing lead on the softer more melodic stuff, as his non-strong voice can give it a weary feel that can sound nice, like on the A Salty Dog cover or the Fool in My Heart verses (Flying Colors), but the aggressive stuff he tries rarely works well at all.

I hear you.  And you aren't the only one, so it's a pretty bold move to release a single where the first half very prominently features Mike on lead vocals.  For my own tastes, I disagree though.  I think his vocals suit the song nicely. 

I have always loved that "Fleetwood Mac" approach to vocals where you have a couple of lead vocalists that trade off primarily handling leads, and have a couple of other members who will step up and take a lead every now and then as well.  There's just something about that that REALLY works for me.  It makes the albums really varied and...I dunno.  It just WORKS for me.  In the context of the album, I really think it adds a lot.  But, again, even as a standalone song, I like it.  And I think it's cool that Neal took the lead vocals on the reprise.  It's a cool contrast having the two parts back to back presented as a single piece.

As far as "soft" lead vocals go, I still think the MVP trophy goes to Pete for his vocals on Solitude.  His vocals and lyrics are so introspective and vulnerable.  He was perfect for that song, and I'm really glad nobody else took that vocal spot. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3687 on: January 15, 2021, 09:28:39 AM »

I hear you.  And you aren't the only one, so it's a pretty bold move to release a single where the first half very prominently features Mike on lead vocals.  For my own tastes, I disagree though.  I think his vocals suit the song nicely. 

I'm usually not a fan of Mike's vocals and I think he definitely needs a producer to tell him to "shut up and let the real vocalists do their thing" sometimes (couldn't find better words to say it, sorry), but I completely agree with Bosk here, his voice suits this track really well. I'd take this approach 10000% over some of the vocal stuff he did with DT :facepalm:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #3688 on: January 15, 2021, 09:31:10 AM »
Just listened to the new song, and I have to disagree about Mike not being able to carry it vocally. I thought he sounded great. He’s really come a long way. Wonder if he’s been taking lessons during lock down or something. Voice has more power and a bit of a snarl that I don’t recall hearing before.

As for the song, I’m kind of disappointed to learn that is a special edit because I really like the extended instrumental passage and it all seemed to flow really well together. It kept my interest more than the first single, and seemed pretty dramatic. Soulful in a way. I’m no longer on the fence about picking both versions up I don’t think.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3689 on: January 15, 2021, 01:26:40 PM »

I'm 100% behind you on this. Mike's good for some spots here and there but this felt out of place.

With all the videos released so far, we already have 28:33 minutes of music from the album! :o

Which for me.....hasn't exactly pumped me up and made me super excited to hear the full product. I'm sure there will be moments of greatness but from what I've heard thus far it's moved the needle the wrong direction. I'll buy it to support them....I'll listen.....but yeah.......I don't have the 'feels' yet.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline emtee

« Reply #3690 on: January 15, 2021, 02:58:04 PM »
Kind of agreeing. No great connection to any of the new songs. They're good but no chills. Hmm...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3691 on: January 15, 2021, 03:07:30 PM »
I suspect the chills will come once I listen to the album in full (or albums, I should say :lol).  I wasn't feeling it big time with the early Similitude singles, and that has become one of my 5-10 favorite albums ever.

bosk1, I hear what you are saying regarding the different vocalists, and in large part I agree.  Portnoy and Trewavas taking the occasional lead vocal on TA songs definitely gives the song a different flavor which often adds to the overall sound.  I just wasn't feeling this one on the first listen, but I will definitely give it another spin later today when I have time and access to better speakers.  :biggrin:

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #3692 on: January 15, 2021, 06:40:32 PM »
I'm looking forward to this/these album(s) so damn much.  I was trying to only listen to the singles once or twice but I am becoming addicted.  Oh well on Feb 5 there will still be plenty of new music I suppose lol.

I normally strongly prefer the more "Neal-y" stuff, and at first was like "meh" on "The World We used to Know" but now that I've heard that a few times I absolutely love it.  Wasn't hugely impressed with today's new song, but I'm letting that roll off as it's 4 or so minutes of a 90 minute album so I'm sure it will be better in context.  I had to make a conscious decision to quit listening to "Reaching For the Sky" so I don't overlisten to it before release.  What an amazing song!

As far as the whole albums, I still plan on (or at least trying to) only listening to the abridged album for a while and getting pretty accustomed to that.  And then some time later introducing myself to the extended one.  Even though I pre-ordered both.  I already requested a couple days off the week after the release date so I can really get into it.  I think I always take a vacation day to listen to new Neal related albums haha. 

Offline majo

« Reply #3693 on: January 16, 2021, 03:26:02 AM »
Love the 2 singles so far... this is going to be sooo good  :metal
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3694 on: January 16, 2021, 07:36:14 AM »

Which two? There are three... ;)

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3695 on: January 16, 2021, 08:05:03 AM »

Which two? There are three... ;)

-Marc.

Somehow I missed the second one too!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3696 on: January 16, 2021, 09:31:53 AM »
This last one was great, I thought, and Mike's vocal totally worked for me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3697 on: January 16, 2021, 09:48:06 AM »
Agreed in all accounts. I have never liked the MP as a singer, and I probably never will. It's not that he is not doing his best, it's just that I don't like his singing voice - his timbre if you will. As my good friend KevShmev says, I'll take his more "mellow" side (like Repentance on the live Flying Colors release) over his "ballsy" metal voice any day of the week which I've always found to be very forced. I remember quite vividly that he once said that singing is not always about the "range" but the emotion one prints into song, and even though I kinda get his point it's a really limiting perspective. If the only chord I learn to play in guitar is Em and I find ways to play it very "emotionally" (whatever that means, given something might be emotional to me and not to someone else), that doesn't make me a good guitarist. Emotion and interpretation usually come hand in hand with technique and craft, so there's that.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3698 on: January 16, 2021, 10:03:53 AM »
I think the albums as a whole work really well, and I am still debating if these are my favs among their discography or not, I love them from start to finish. And I just can't wait until I have them in my hands!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3699 on: January 16, 2021, 10:18:37 AM »
I've decided on the Forevermore version first, having heard the birthing process. Then will be interesting to hear what Neal did with it to create the single disc.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3700 on: January 16, 2021, 11:14:11 AM »
Agreed in all accounts. I have never liked the MP as a singer, and I probably never will. It's not that he is not doing his best, it's just that I don't like his singing voice - his timbre if you will. As my good friend KevShmev says, I'll take his more "mellow" side (like Repentance on the live Flying Colors release) over his "ballsy" metal voice any day of the week which I've always found to be very forced. I remember quite vividly that he once said that singing is not always about the "range" but the emotion one prints into song, and even though I kinda get his point it's a really limiting perspective. If the only chord I learn to play in guitar is Em and I find ways to play it very "emotionally" (whatever that means, given something might be emotional to me and not to someone else), that doesn't make me a good guitarist. Emotion and interpretation usually come hand in hand with technique and craft, so there's that.

I think Mike's voice is a spice, to be added to complement the other singers in his bands.   I view him like I do Chris Squire or Pete Trewavas or Keith Richards, not a voice to carry a band, but a little break from the main event.  I too prefer his mellow voice over the "ballsy metal voice" (the former is cumin, or saffron, a little pinch goes a long way, the latter is ghost peppers; if that's your thing so be it, but if I never eat a ghost pepper for the rest of my life, I'll have no complaints).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3701 on: January 16, 2021, 02:27:46 PM »
So I listened to/watched all three singles on YouTube this morning, and I'm already picking up on some recurring themes, and that gets me more excited for the album.

I've decided on the Forevermore version first, having heard the birthing process. Then will be interesting to hear what Neal did with it to create the single disc.

This is the approach I will be taking as well. I'll probably listen to Forevermore almost exclusively at first, maybe for a week or two or three, and get really into the meat of it. Once I feel like I've got a bit of a handle on that, I'll begin listening to The Breath Of Life. I think I might save the BD 5.1 mix until a little later, or maybe I'll watch it in-between both versions, since it'll have most of Forevermore on it anyway it seems.

-Marc.

Online ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3702 on: January 16, 2021, 08:07:46 PM »
At their age, I don't see them doing a show longer than 180 minutes, especially for an extended tour, so more than half of their show would be TAU, with less than 80 minutes of music from their previous 4 albums (so... 3 or 4 songs lol).

To the best of my memory, having seen the last two shows in Chicago, they played a solid 3 hours on the Whirlwind tour, and closer to 2 and a half on the Kaleidoscope tour. Given all the new material I'd hope they'd go back to 3 hours, but they aren't getting any younger either.

Having seen all of them I still think the Whirlwind Tour was the best they ever did.

Hard to say if something like THAT would ever happen again. Might be approaching medley territory.

Online ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3703 on: January 16, 2021, 08:17:24 PM »
I need to decide which (if any) of these to pre-order. Since it was announced, I find my interest in sifting through 3 CDs worth of music waning. I want to support the band, but I’ve hardly gone back to The Whirlwind since I finally got it this summer. I might just start with the one-disc and see how I feel about it.

Finally sucked it up and ordered The Ultimate Edition a few days ago. My other option was the 2 CDs and the Bluray. I figured there wasn't going to be a tour for this anytime soon so I went for it in a moment of weakness.

Online ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3704 on: January 16, 2021, 08:20:31 PM »
I think for fans who discovered the band before 2009 were probably more likely to love The Whirlwind than those who discovered the hand after the fact, mostly because TW came after nearly a decade long wait after BAF. I became a fan around 2005, so my wait for a new album was only 4-5 years, but even with high expectations, they still managed to release an album that blew me away.

-Marc.

I wasn't all that thrilled with it until I saw it live but it definitely grew on me after that. The two live albums from the tour are top notch.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3705 on: January 16, 2021, 08:25:42 PM »

I get what you mean.  And to reiterate, I do think Portnoy has improved as a singer, but like you alluded to, his natural singing voice and timbre aren't great, so he is doing the best with what he was given.  Not all of us are born with the pipes to belt it out (I sure wasn't :lol).  Like all art, you put it out there and some of sticks to landing and some of it does not, and that is definitely the case with his vocals.  Sometimes, they work, and other times, they do not.  I would cite albums like The Whirlwind and The Similitude of a Dream as good examples of albums where his lead vocals were kept to a minimum, but both times were very effective and worked well (the bridge in Out of the Night, the chorus in Set Us Free and the verses in Draw the Line).

And to be even more fair and be a little more positive, the choruses in the "Walk Away" section of Duel with the Devil are some of my favorite parts of the Bridge Across Forever album, where he does the call and response with both Neal (first chorus) and Roine (second chorus).  His voice is very effective when doing simple and more mellow stuff like that.

Online ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3706 on: January 16, 2021, 08:44:16 PM »
That's it.  On the main page when you search for "Transatlantic Live In America" it's more clear.  $902 dollars.  Hell, I'll sell you mine for $500; what a bargain! ;)

Some oligarch is going to think that's a steal!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3707 on: January 16, 2021, 08:58:26 PM »
Got to say that I’m not in love with any of the songs released thus far.  If I wasn’t already a fan, I would probably have no interest in buying it based on the singles alone.  I’m still fairly confident I’ll like the album as a whole as I like all the others but am a little concerned with an earlier comment where it’s suggested that vocals are shared fairly equally amongst the four of them.  That would be a big concern for me if it’s true.  I’m not a fan of Mike as a lead vocalist at all.  He can hold a tune just about but is utterly unremarkable as a vocalist.  Pete has a pleasant voice and is ok in small doses if they pick the right moments to suit his voice but I really want to hear Neal and Roine taking most of the lead vocals and am hoping I misunderstood what the earlier poster is saying.

I’m still excited for this as it’s new TA but, if the singles were supposed to hype me up further, they’ve failed in that regard as they have done the opposite.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3708 on: January 17, 2021, 12:50:10 PM »
Got to say that I’m not in love with any of the songs released thus far.  If I wasn’t already a fan, I would probably have no interest in buying it based on the singles alone.  I’m still fairly confident I’ll like the album as a whole as I like all the others but am a little concerned with an earlier comment where it’s suggested that vocals are shared fairly equally amongst the four of them.  That would be a big concern for me if it’s true.  I’m not a fan of Mike as a lead vocalist at all.  He can hold a tune just about but is utterly unremarkable as a vocalist.  Pete has a pleasant voice and is ok in small doses if they pick the right moments to suit his voice but I really want to hear Neal and Roine taking most of the lead vocals and am hoping I misunderstood what the earlier poster is saying.

I’m still excited for this as it’s new TA but, if the singles were supposed to hype me up further, they’ve failed in that regard as they have done the opposite.

I cannot recall what the exact breakdown is on the lead vocals, but I would suspect that Neal still does the most, Roine does the second most by a wide distance, and then the other two do just the occasional lead vocal.  That was the balance on the last three TA albums and I can't imagine they would stray too far from that formula. 

I get what you are saying about the singles not getting you excited about the album, and honestly if this was a new band I doubt I'd be wanting to buy the album on the strength of the three released songs so far, but TA has enough equity (woah, second time I am using that word in a post today :lol) built up to where they are an auto-buy for me.  I have faith that the album will deliver once I hear the various versions in full.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 01:50:22 PM by KevShmev »

Offline emtee

« Reply #3709 on: January 17, 2021, 01:49:07 PM »
Not bagging on Mike at all...he bas earned his place in drumming history and can do as he pleases at this point. Having said that, as a listener and long time fan, I've not heard a single new fill or approach in any of the 3 songs. Almost everything is a left to right, roll type of fill, or his signature feet/ hand combination fills-- also mostly left to right. Does he serve the songs well? Yep. Is he dead on the click? Yep. He does everything he should and yet it doesn't draw me in like it used to. My problem not his. I miss the days when he blew my mind with every new album.