Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 529810 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe pre-orders
« Reply #3570 on: December 17, 2020, 01:22:02 PM »
I thought this one was waaay too waffly. Neal seems like he's off in his own little world, somehow.  Nice to hear him speak though. Never have before. He's not what I expected.

Neal is ALWAYS like that. I interviewed him three times, and he always sounds and looks like he just woke up from a looooooong afternoon nap.

The questions that MinistroRaven was asking here were for me to interview Roine, and that happened today. It was a great chat, and most of them were answered. I'm going to transcribe the audio, and MinistroRaven will publish it asap!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3571 on: December 17, 2020, 02:11:18 PM »
I thought this one was waaay too waffly. Neal seems like he's off in his own little world, somehow.  Nice to hear him speak though. Never have before. He's not what I expected.

Neal is ALWAYS like that. I interviewed him three times, and he always sounds and looks like he just woke up from a looooooong afternoon nap.

The questions that MinistroRaven was asking here were for me to interview Roine, and that happened today. It was a great chat, and most of them were answered. I'm going to transcribe the audio, and MinistroRaven will publish it asap!

Looking forward to this Rodrigo. Your interviews are always awesome!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3572 on: December 17, 2020, 02:20:46 PM »
 Thanks, man. I was surprised with Roine today...I asked four or five questions, and he took off with his very long responses. If only all interviewees were like that!!!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3573 on: December 18, 2020, 12:08:00 AM »

:lol

Three times? Nice!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3574 on: December 18, 2020, 07:59:27 AM »

:lol

Three times? Nice!

Yeah man...including a face to face interview with all members of the NMB here in Toronto, which ended up in the extras of the Live at Brno DVD.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3575 on: December 18, 2020, 04:03:12 PM »
That's so cool. Congrats, man!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3576 on: December 18, 2020, 04:11:35 PM »

Looking forward to this Rodrigo. Your interviews are always awesome!

We will publish the interview next Monday, morning!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3577 on: December 19, 2020, 01:31:07 PM »
The Neal/Ted interview was a fun little watch.  You can tell Ted is hoping to be the 5th touring member again once they are able to hit the road (whenever that is), which makes me wonder if Gildenlow is still their first choice for that spot or if Ted is their go-to guy now. I guess we will eventually find out. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3578 on: December 21, 2020, 06:37:16 AM »
Here's Rodrigo's interview with Roine (only transcript available)

https://lotsofmuzik.com/our-interview-with-roine-stolt-from-transatlantic/

:metal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3579 on: December 21, 2020, 08:29:55 AM »

Looking forward to reading the whole thing, but from what I am seeing so far, certain parts of the interview are duplicated and/or missing. You or whoever else might want to go back and make sure everything is correct before posting!  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3580 on: December 21, 2020, 08:59:47 AM »

Looking forward to reading the whole thing, but from what I am seeing so far, certain parts of the interview are duplicated and/or missing. You or whoever else might want to go back and make sure everything is correct before posting!  ;)

weird, I see everything correct on my end! No duplicates, nor missing parts. I have checked everything thrice before posting, I swear! LOL

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3581 on: December 21, 2020, 09:11:26 AM »

weird, I see everything correct on my end! No duplicates, nor missing parts. I have checked everything thrice before posting, I swear! LOL

The issue Scotty posted about was there when I first clicked, the transcription started again from the beginning after the "What kind of commercial considerations or commercial chats did you have with the record company to release something so big?" question. Now everything seems to be in order though. :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3582 on: December 21, 2020, 09:15:23 AM »

The issue Scotty posted about was there when I first clicked, the transcription started again from the beginning after the "What kind of commercial considerations or commercial chats did you have with the record company to release something so big?" question. Now everything seems to be in order though. :tup

Weird, I didn't see the issue.
Thank you anyways for informing me, I will check the backend of the site.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3583 on: December 21, 2020, 09:16:38 AM »

Thanks for sharing! Interesting to read just hoe MUCH of the Islands material he presented to TA other than "Black Swan"! Also, hyped to hear that they're interested in epic length pieces for the next TFK album! Very exciting for old school TFK fans!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3584 on: December 21, 2020, 05:55:36 PM »

Read this earlier, very nice!

That is great to hear that Roine was so headstrong when it came to this forthcoming TA album instead of letting the others dominate.  That can only make the album better.  :hat

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3585 on: December 21, 2020, 06:03:11 PM »

Read this earlier, very nice!

That is great to hear that Roine was so headstrong when it came to this forthcoming TA album instead of letting the others dominate.  That can only make the album better.  :hat

It definitely lines up with what Ted said in the interview with Neal with regards to how much Roine is all over the album, so that excites me!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3586 on: December 21, 2020, 07:03:21 PM »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3587 on: December 21, 2020, 07:07:36 PM »
Thanks again, guys. And to be honest, I'm 100% happy with the abridged version of the album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3588 on: January 04, 2021, 09:50:56 AM »
https://youtu.be/crlKwQJ8rFE

The band have shared a trailer for THURSDAY making-of documentary.

-Marc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3589 on: January 04, 2021, 01:22:29 PM »
This part of the interview cracked me up...

Lotsofmuzik: Yeah. I mean, you probably create a whole new version of it just to be played live. So here’s your fourth or fifth version right there, right?

Roine Stolt: Oh yeah, totally. I shouldn’t listen to it too much, to be honest. When the time comes, I can just edit a version and have that one fresh and just learn that version and forget about all the others. Or it will be totally chaos! [laughs]

I wonder if, they're just going to go with whatever and play whatever part from whatever version, live. In turn, blending it into a new version.  :rollin

I think, it'd be best if they just played the 5.1 version of the album live. That way we get, best of both albums, and us whom didn't buy the boxset will get to hear that version as well..
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3590 on: January 04, 2021, 01:31:27 PM »
I think, it'd be best if they just played the 5.1 version of the album live. That way we get, best of both albums, and us whom didn't buy the boxset will get to hear that version as well..

I think Mike said that's his plan for when/if touring is possible again.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3591 on: January 04, 2021, 01:36:53 PM »

I think Mike said that's his plan for when/if touring is possible again.

:tup :tup

Great way, to get people to see them live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3592 on: January 04, 2021, 08:34:45 PM »

Lotsofmuzik: Yeah. I mean, you probably create a whole new version of it just to be played live. So here’s your fourth or fifth version right there, right?

Roine Stolt: Oh yeah, totally. I shouldn’t listen to it too much, to be honest. When the time comes, I can just edit a version and have that one fresh and just learn that version and forget about all the others. Or it will be totally chaos! [laughs]

I wonder if, they're just going to go with whatever and play whatever part from whatever version, live. In turn, blending it into a new version.  :rollin

Well, the BD *is* available apart from the Ultimate Box Set, so the only really big hurdle to listening to it would be needing a BD player and a 5.1 surround sound audio system.

I do believe Mike did say that, if/when they get around to playing TAU live, they would do the 5.1 mix version, but they would probably put in a break in the album like in Forevermore (since the 5.1 mix runs seamlessly for its entire 100 minutes). Then again, they may just do an extra long 100 minute first set, then a shorter 2nd set of about 20-30 minutes, and then an encore medley of 20 minutes or so. At their age, I don't see them doing a show longer than 180 minutes, especially for an extended tour, so more than half of their show would be TAU, with less than 80 minutes of music from their previous 4 albums (so... 3 or 4 songs lol).

-Marc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3593 on: January 04, 2021, 08:48:42 PM »

Well, the BD *is* available apart from the Ultimate Box Set, so the only really big hurdle to listening to it would be needing a BD player and a 5.1 surround sound audio system.

-Marc.

I forgot about that.

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #3594 on: January 05, 2021, 01:39:42 AM »
At their age, I don't see them doing a show longer than 180 minutes, especially for an extended tour, so more than half of their show would be TAU, with less than 80 minutes of music from their previous 4 albums (so... 3 or 4 songs lol).

To the best of my memory, having seen the last two shows in Chicago, they played a solid 3 hours on the Whirlwind tour, and closer to 2 and a half on the Kaleidoscope tour. Given all the new material I'd hope they'd go back to 3 hours, but they aren't getting any younger either.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3595 on: January 05, 2021, 09:31:19 AM »
Brand new transcribed interview with Neal and Roine!

Want to know more about the upcoming TA5 albums?
Why are there multiple versions of the album and how do they differ? What is its connection to The Whirlwind? Which band members were most involved with which versions? How were different sets of lyrics composed for the same song? What was the timeline on all of this and how did COVID impact the writing and release date? What else do you guys have planned for 2021?
All of this and much more is covered in this transcribed interview with Neal and Roine. Enjoy!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-neal-morse-roine-stolt/

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3596 on: January 05, 2021, 10:06:56 AM »
I really appreciate a lot of what Roine has to say. Especially about returning to older work. And recording parts that are edited out. Basically, questioning some decisions made about the album.

I can see how Roine would be a bit upset/disappointed because He actually chose to go more Guitar solo/lick crazy, and it's something that seems out of his comfort zone to be more "Aggressive" in the guitar playing. And then you have these 2 guys, putting all that on the backburner. That would upset me as well...

And MP, I feel, understood that. And why he said, let's just release both, because why not. The only one that was holding them back was the record company, and since they are a really big money maker for Inside Out, Of course they wouldn't say no.

"So I think this Forevermore album is most truly to what I'd like a Transatlantic to be, or what my guitar should be in Transatlantic, which is kind of a good solution because you can have both."
So, in a way, The Breathe Of Life, is Neal's vision for the album, and a fitting title. While Forevermore, is Roines vision of the album, also a fitting title.  :lol :lol

And this Roine quote about his "Political Lyrics" and how he refers to them as more "Political Observations"

"At least for me personally, it's really difficult to just look away. I can't. And I don't want to try to be some kind of Swedish Roger Waters or anything like that, but I kind of end up in the same spot, I suppose. I know that some people get upset by that. But with music and being an artist, it just comes with it...you've got to have freedom to write any notes you want and to play any rhythm you want or play any notes you want. And at that same time, you have the freedom to write the lyrics you want, and you have the right to sing them any way you want. Because if the audience starts dictating what you're supposed to do, or saying go back to how your third album sounded or go back to write those songs like you did back then, you know, then I think it's it's not worth doing it. I can't really see myself being dictated by fans what to stay away from or what to write. So it's not really about being political. It's just being very honest with telling who I am."

:clap: :clap:

And then what he says after that....

:clap:

In the end, I am glad MP decided to release both versions, making both Neal and Roine happy with the end product. Especially Neal, as basically made The Breathe of Life his....Stuff like this can break bands apart.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3597 on: January 05, 2021, 10:20:26 AM »
Side bar for the political forum, I guess, but I always hate when people spew their opinions and say "well, I'm just being honest".  Eddie Trunk does that all the time, and it drives me crazy.  There's nothing "honest" about an opinion, at least in the sense of "truth" (maybe in terms of "authenticity", I suppose).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3598 on: January 05, 2021, 10:34:16 AM »

Why are there multiple versions of the album and how do they differ? What is its connection to The Whirlwind? Which band members were most involved with which versions? How were different sets of lyrics composed for the same song? What was the timeline on all of this and how did COVID impact the writing and release date? What else do you guys have planned for 2021?
All of this and much more is covered in this transcribed interview with Neal and Roine. Enjoy!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-neal-morse-roine-stolt/
Great interview, thank you for sharing!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3599 on: January 05, 2021, 11:16:50 AM »
Side bar for the political forum, I guess, but I always hate when people spew their opinions and say "well, I'm just being honest".  Eddie Trunk does that all the time, and it drives me crazy.  There's nothing "honest" about an opinion, at least in the sense of "truth" (maybe in terms of "authenticity", I suppose).

All Roine is stating is he is being honest with who he is. His music is a reflection of who he is, and his lyrics are also a part of that music. And I feel that gives his music a unique quality and style, akin to Robert Fripp being unique because his music also reflects who he is. And it's up to the person just how honest they want to be with themselves to put forth their thoughts, views, and observations into the lyrics they create.

Has nothing to do with his opinion on the music business part of it, and that includes the fan aspect.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3600 on: January 05, 2021, 08:36:04 PM »
MP posted:

With Transatlantic’s Epic album(s) The Absolute Universe being released one month from today, here’s the Drum (& Vox) Cam for our 2nd single ‘The World We Used To Know’...the audio on this video is a Stereo “Headphone” mix which has the Full Band Mix on the Left and my Isolated Drums and Vocals on the right...enjoy! 🚀
https://youtu.be/e1iRryfQbU4

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3601 on: January 05, 2021, 10:59:12 PM »

Read it earlier today and, while long, it was an entertaining read. Lots of great new details, and other things that both have said before in other interviews. I'm glad they seem to be happy to be able to all "get their way" with this release, and that Roine was able to get all his parts in in the Forevermore version. Now I am more interested in trying to pick out all the differences between the two main versions!

In other TA news, I finally downloaded the Inner Circle TA releases from November, and they are of less-than-stellar quality, but it's cool to get another show from the first 2000 tour (with the DC and Philly shows having previously been released on CD and video respectively). The NYC show includes some extra bits during the Genesis medley. There may be more to it but I haven't given the show a whole listen yet.

The other download is video from the Sweden Rock Festival from 2014 during the Kaleidoscope tour, which features Daniel Gildenlow joining the band from the end of "Into The Blue" through the rest of the (truncated) show, which features the Whirlwind Medley, and the AOTA/SIYS encore. As far as I know, this is the only show where all six members performed, which is a neat thing ti watch, but the audio quality of the video is pretty sub-par IMO, but the video is taken from multiple cameras, so it definitely feels like it was recorded for TV broadcast or something (as I think many of these kinds of European rock festivals are).

Not a bad release from Neal's Inner Circle, where even just ONE of these might have been a cool release, but given out both is a treat. Now I wonder why we've never gotten more shows from the BAF Tour released? It still astounds me that Live In Europe was from their FOURTH show of the tour and that they didn't bother to release any shows from near the end of the tour (ya know, when things are usually tightened up and running smoothly). The BAF tour still remains the only Transatlantic Tour to only be represented by ONE show released (with the first tour now having 3 shows released, the Whirld Tour having three shows released, and now the Kaleidoscope tour having three shows released, albeit one of them is a festival show). I'd kill to see another BAF tour show released, either as audio or video, because for the longest time, Live In Europe was my favorite live concert of ANY band that I love, and even after two more albums and tours from Transatlantic, I still really enjoy it. At least the Official Bootleg DVD gives glimpses into the other shows on that European tour.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:31:41 PM by The Letter M »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3602 on: January 06, 2021, 08:42:51 PM »

Well done.  Good interview(s).

I suspect I will love the short version (Neal's) and the long version (Roine's), so in the end, we, the fans, win.  Less than a month!  :hat :hat

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3604 on: January 08, 2021, 09:54:19 AM »