Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 529335 times)

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe pre-orders
« Reply #3500 on: November 27, 2020, 09:48:28 AM »

I got The Whirlwind for the first time this summer as well. While I’ve enjoyed it when I’ve listened to it, I have to say it didn’t really hook me the way the first two did, and I honestly don’t have much memory of the songs on it just sitting here thinking about it. As much as I didn’t really care for Kaleidoscope, I can at least bring to mind most of the tracks on it. I think the whole “one epic song split across numerous tracks” makes it a little harder for me to identify with the different parts of The Whirlwind. I’m a little worried about the new album consisting of a bunch of tracks. Hopefully they stand apart as individual songs.

I suspect it will be similar to The Whirlwind in that many of the songs will stand apart on their own, while still flowing well enough to where those who love to insist that any prog album where there are no breaks in between songs is really one giant song will feel they have a leg on which to stand. :lol :lol

For me, that depends on what we're talking about. If we're talking about The Whirlwind (Disc 1), that's one song. Something like BTBAM's Colors, on the other hand, is absolutely not one song. Regarding The Absolute Universe, I'm not sure what to think since I obviously haven't heard it, but for now I'd assume that it isn't one huge song because the band hasn't said anything about it being one single song (to my knowledge).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3501 on: November 27, 2020, 10:03:27 AM »

I got The Whirlwind for the first time this summer as well. While I’ve enjoyed it when I’ve listened to it, I have to say it didn’t really hook me the way the first two did, and I honestly don’t have much memory of the songs on it just sitting here thinking about it. As much as I didn’t really care for Kaleidoscope, I can at least bring to mind most of the tracks on it. I think the whole “one epic song split across numerous tracks” makes it a little harder for me to identify with the different parts of The Whirlwind. I’m a little worried about the new album consisting of a bunch of tracks. Hopefully they stand apart as individual songs.

I suspect it will be similar to The Whirlwind in that many of the songs will stand apart on their own, while still flowing well enough to where those who love to insist that any prog album where there are no breaks in between songs is really one giant song will feel they have a leg on which to stand. :lol :lol

For me, that depends on what we're talking about. If we're talking about The Whirlwind (Disc 1), that's one song. Something like BTBAM's Colors, on the other hand, is absolutely not one song. Regarding The Absolute Universe, I'm not sure what to think since I obviously haven't heard it, but for now I'd assume that it isn't one huge song because the band hasn't said anything about it being one single song (to my knowledge).

This is my take as well! It's very common in prog concept albums to have songs flowing into each other, yet they're not considered one long song. On the other hand, TW was conceived as a super long song and the band presented it as such. I don't expect this to be the case with TAU, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline 425

« Reply #3502 on: November 27, 2020, 02:22:53 PM »
Some artists are vague about their intentions in this area, too, but Mike Portnoy is not. If he thinks of it as a single song, Mike won't shy away from telling us. The fact that he hasn't tells me it's probably not something one can think of that way.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3503 on: November 28, 2020, 10:45:05 AM »
Well, Neal Morse's album ? isn't really referred to that way (I think?), but in my opinion, this is one big song with various parts flowing into each other, just like The Whirlwind.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3504 on: December 01, 2020, 09:10:38 AM »
From Inside Out Music:
We are launching a 4-part interview series in which each member of Transatlantic speaks with a special guest about The Absolute Universe.  In this first episode, premiering tomorrow, Dec 2nd at 10am EST/4pm CET, Mike Portnoy speaks with Haken's Ross Jennings about the new album. This is your chance to find out some more details about the new record, the formats, and more.
Tune into the InsideOutMusic Youtube page to watch.
https://youtu.be/bDKtonx8jlQ

Neat! Can't wait to see what each member has to say!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3505 on: December 01, 2020, 01:19:03 PM »
From Inside Out Music:
We are launching a 4-part interview series in which each member of Transatlantic speaks with a special guest about The Absolute Universe.  In this first episode, premiering tomorrow, Dec 2nd at 10am EST/4pm CET, Mike Portnoy speaks with Haken's Ross Jennings about the new album. This is your chance to find out some more details about the new record, the formats, and more.
Tune into the InsideOutMusic Youtube page to watch.

Neat! Can't wait to see what each member has to say!

-Marc.

Me too! So cool that MP is interviewed by another one of my favourite musicians, Ross Jennings  :metal

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3506 on: December 02, 2020, 07:36:21 AM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3507 on: December 02, 2020, 08:50:07 AM »
Live now on Youtube.  Mike Portnoy interviewed by Ross Jennings about the new album The Absolute Universe.

:metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3508 on: December 02, 2020, 09:00:21 AM »
That was a fun interview! I won't spoil the details, but the one thing I will say, whoever up-thread said they hope TAU won't be considered "one song/piece" like The Whirlwind.... I got bad news for you. :lol

I really hope they find a way to downmix the 5.1 into stereo so I can listen to the non-stop 100 minute Ultimate mix, which really seems like the "best" way to listen to the album, especially since it has no stops (like the 2 CD set will have).

Cannot wait to see who is in the next interview!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #3509 on: December 02, 2020, 09:12:11 AM »
That was a fun interview! I won't spoil the details, but the one thing I will say, whoever up-thread said they hope TAU won't be considered "one song/piece" like The Whirlwind.... I got bad news for you. :lol

I really hope they find a way to downmix the 5.1 into stereo so I can listen to the non-stop 100 minute Ultimate mix, which really seems like the "best" way to listen to the album, especially since it has no stops (like the 2 CD set will have).

Cannot wait to see who is in the next interview!

-Marc.

Hmmm. Well, if it works I’m fine with it. We’ll just see!

Offline 425

« Reply #3510 on: December 02, 2020, 09:11:33 PM »
So... now my impression is that the Blu-Ray version is in some way different from just a combination of tracks from the two CD versions?

I'm just going to get it. I'll regret it more if I miss out on it than I will if I get it and it's nothing special, seeing as Transatlantic is... probably my favorite band?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3511 on: December 02, 2020, 09:19:42 PM »
So... now my impression is that the Blu-Ray version is in some way different from just a combination of tracks from the two CD versions?

I'm just going to get it. I'll regret it more if I miss out on it than I will if I get it and it's nothing special, seeing as Transatlantic is... probably my favorite band?

From everything that I've read and heard, the 5.1 Mix in the BD is:
-A "special mix" that combines parts of both albums
-Is roughly 100 minutes long, compared to 60 (The Breath Of Life) and 90 (Forevermore)
-This 5.1 mix was kind of spearheaded by Mike, working with Rich to create a unique version of the album

Forevermore has music that does not appear at all on TBOL, and vice versa (such as the track "Can You Feel It?" not appearing at all on Forevermore), so there is a chance that bits, if not all of the music exclusive to each version appears on the Ultimate Mix, accounting for the 10 extra minutes compared to Forevermore.

-Marc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3512 on: December 03, 2020, 02:22:50 PM »
From MP FB page:
Just added on my YouTube channel: my Drum & Vox Cam for Transatlantic’s Overture / Reaching For The Sky. Just from watching this video, you can see how this album was constantly growing and evolving as it contains footage from at least two different drum and vocal sessions! Enjoy... 🚀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEoEPMEsztY&feature=youtu.be

:metal

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3513 on: December 03, 2020, 05:26:32 PM »
Just finished watching the interview with MP, interesting information and I'm now more excited for this release than I already was.

I guess I gotta get the blu ray, I just wish it was possible to rip the music to digital.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3514 on: December 03, 2020, 08:11:39 PM »
Just finished watching the interview with MP, interesting information and I'm now more excited for this release than I already was.

I guess I gotta get the blu ray, I just wish it was possible to rip the music to digital.

Why wouldn't it be?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3515 on: December 03, 2020, 08:32:26 PM »

Why wouldn't it be?

Is it easy to downmix a BD's 5.1 mix into digital stereo files?

-Marc

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #3516 on: December 03, 2020, 09:15:16 PM »

Why wouldn't it be?

-Marc

"Easy" is probably relative. I'll be using MakeMKV to rip the Blu-Ray, then ffmpeg to separate out the audio, then Adobe Premiere Pro to mix it all down to stereo. Although Audacity, which is free like MakeMKV and ffmpeg, could probably do the trick.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3517 on: December 03, 2020, 09:23:02 PM »

Why wouldn't it be?

-Marc

"Easy" is probably relative. I'll be using MakeMKV to rip the Blu-Ray, then ffmpeg to separate out the audio, then Adobe Premiere Pro to mix it all down to stereo. Although Audacity, which is free like MakeMKV and ffmpeg, could probably do the trick.

Ah wow, I wish I had the equipment to do all of that when the BD comes out. I would love to have the Ultimate Mix to listen to on-the-go, i.e. not tied down to a blu-ray at home. Maybe if enough fans "complain enough" to Mike and the others, they'll release a down-mixed version of the Ultimate mix and release it digitally!  :lol

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3518 on: December 03, 2020, 11:58:10 PM »

Why wouldn't it be?

-Marc

Is it okay/legal if you send this to me?  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3519 on: December 04, 2020, 06:58:00 AM »
Well, I've been ripping all my DVDs and Blu-rays to my harddrive (you'd be surprised how many times the audio from the DVD/Blu-ray is different from the CD version, whether it's edits from the songs, chopped out banter between songs, or simply different versions/nights).   98% of the shows I've done have the stereo mix provided.  It's my understanding (I got this from a Steven Wilson interview about...   one of the Yes re-releases I think, though maybe it was Marillion) that you need a stereo mix to start from for a 5.1 mix.    I think you might find a stereo mix already there for you; if so, Cocopjojo's process just got shorter:   rip the song from the blu-ray with MakeMKV, then convert it to your file type of choice, and viola!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3520 on: December 08, 2020, 08:05:20 AM »
or they could just release another product (the CD of Ultimate Edition) then everyone's happy.
I get having the bluray but that is something that should have come with the Ultimate Edition CD in the first place, especially if you have to down mix it anyway for listening outside of home or if you don't have a proper setup for BD listening.

I'm also OK with all these alternate versions, otherwise, I think it's cool and you can pick your favorite and each listen will be a different experience.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3521 on: December 10, 2020, 12:47:40 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/116713035013014/posts/5186494524701481/

Tomorrow...  #TA5 #TheAbsoluteuniVerse

New single from the end of Disc 1 from Forevermore, apparently dropping tomorrow!

-Marc.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3522 on: December 10, 2020, 12:54:12 PM »
I'm not going to listen to any of it until I can hear it all.  I've never listened to any of the singles from these guys.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3523 on: December 11, 2020, 01:22:09 AM »
https://youtu.be/iDmbl-MGOjI

A 9-minute single!

-Marc.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3524 on: December 11, 2020, 03:25:20 AM »
I don't dislike the song. It's pleasant and enjoyable but I kept waiting for something next-level to kick in and it never did. Album context could make a difference.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3525 on: December 11, 2020, 03:11:24 PM »
Sounded pretty good. I am sure it will be better within the flow of the rest of the record, whichever one of the 33 it's on. :lol

Great to hear Roine take the vast majority of lead vocals on this one as well, since his lead vocals were MIA on the first single.

Offline Dedalus

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3527 on: December 12, 2020, 02:15:38 AM »
Song was alright. Not a massive departure for TA, but one thing that did strike me was hearing Roine dominate a song in the context of TA and how rare that is. Usually we hear him in a section of an epic, but perhaps My New World aside, by and large those are usually Neal's thing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3528 on: December 12, 2020, 02:44:16 AM »
I enjoyed that but I’d rather Roine didn’t sing to be honest.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3529 on: December 12, 2020, 07:25:46 AM »
Guys, we will be interviewing Roine next Thursday. Do you have questions for him?

:corn

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3530 on: December 12, 2020, 08:05:30 AM »
Guys, we will be interviewing Roine next Thursday. Do you have questions for him?

Did having the sessions for TAU in Sweden mean he had a more dominant role in the writing, or were his contributions about the same as always?

Did he have any leftover material from TAU that ended up on his TFK album Islands?

How strongly did he feel about releasing TAU as a double, especially considering many of his TFK albums have been doubles of considerable length?

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3531 on: December 12, 2020, 08:16:37 AM »
https://youtu.be/iDmbl-MGOjI

A 9-minute single!

-Marc.

Just had a chance to listen to the whole thing for the first time. I thought the intro sounded fresh and interesting. Then the first part after that sounds like The Flower Kings and then the last part sounds like Neal Morse. It was fine really, just not something that raises my expectations for the album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3532 on: December 12, 2020, 09:16:51 AM »
I enjoyed that but I’d rather Roine didn’t sing to be honest.

Roine singing is integral to the Transatlantic sound.  If Neal did almost all of the lead singing, it would likely sound too much like some of his other bands (solo, NMB).  Roine's voice gives it a different flavor and throws a different and significant color into the mix.  And let's face it, while Portnoy and Trewavas do mostly fine with the occasional lead vocal and on the harmonies, neither is a good enough singer to be the primary secondary lead vocalist, so like it or not, that is Roine's spot.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3533 on: December 12, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »

As someone with more of a progressive rock background, does he feel much of Mike's metal influence in the writing or performance with Transatlantic?  Is it a challenge adapting to that, or adapting that to TA's music?

How much input does he usually like to give into the live TA sets, including different arrangements of songs, doing medleys, and incorporating little tributes to classic songs within the TA material?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3534 on: December 12, 2020, 10:08:20 AM »
I listened to the song twice.  The problem is, there is always too much going on in a particular song for me to take it all in and form much of an opinion after a listen or two.  And their songs typically fit a context within the album that can make them "click" more in the album context.  So I find it hard to "get it" by just doing an advance listen to a single. 

That said, after two listens, I can say I definitely like it.  How much remains to be seen.  I will probably hold off and not listen much more if at all until the album drops.  But it definitely sounds promising.  More music to like from a band I really like, so that's a good thing.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."