Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 530431 times)

PMSummer and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gzarruk

Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2940 on: March 21, 2020, 02:44:49 PM »
All of the Above is one of my favorite TA songs, and I think it's better than the epics on Bridge Across Forever.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #2941 on: March 21, 2020, 03:32:32 PM »
Just finished listening to All of the Above, and while all three epics (plus I’d add My New World) are neck and neck for me, All of the Above is incredibly special. Roine’s guitar solo at the end just got me.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:42:56 PM by HOF »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2942 on: March 21, 2020, 05:20:04 PM »
We All Need Some Light might be my favorite song from that album. Killer live tune too.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2943 on: March 21, 2020, 05:46:29 PM »
We All Need Some Light might be my favorite song from that album. Killer live tune too.

It’s certainly a song I come back to often.

Another story, I first got SMPTe on Labor Day 2001, about a week before 9/11. We All Need Some Light was certainly appropriate for those times, as it is again right now.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2944 on: March 21, 2020, 07:57:53 PM »
I'll chime in as well, also echoing sentiments that Transatlantic helped me widen the scope of my modern prog collection. Transatlantic were key in getting me to discover Neal Morse/Spock's Beard, as well as Roine Stolt/The Flower Kings (and every other TFK member's output and side-projects). Without Transatlantic, I might not have discovered those bands as early as I did (around 2004-2005), right around when Neal and Roine were hitting a stride with their output!

SMPTe, to me, was the harder of their first two albums for me to get into. I liked AOTA well enough, but the epics on Bridge Across Forever just hit me harder and faster. I did eventually grow to love SMPTe about as much as BAF, and the opening epic just floors me everytime I hear it.

I rarely listen to the original mix anymore, though, as I have grown accustomed to the Roine Stolt Mixes version of the album, which punches up the bass a bit and includes some extra guitar work that was cut from the final mix, which really helps give the album a more well-rounded sound that matches their later output. Taking out some of the guitars and vocal bits kind of made the album Neal-heavy IMO, so the Stolt Mixes really even that out for me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2945 on: March 21, 2020, 08:51:35 PM »
For quite a while after the second album came out, I preferred Stranger in Your Soul, but I have now gone back to All of the Above being not only my favorite TA song, but probably my 2nd favorite song by anyone (2112 is still number 1).

Offline HOF

« Reply #2946 on: March 21, 2020, 09:31:25 PM »
I will note that I have always and still do dislike the cover of In Held ('Twas in I). I just never got anything out of it and it doesn’t live up to the standard of the rest of the album. I wish they had saved it for a bonus disc like with their other covers. At any rate, since there is almost an hour of original music otherwise, I’ve always just mentally disregarded it when thinking about SMPTe.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2947 on: March 27, 2020, 01:15:17 PM »
I will note that I have always and still do dislike the cover of In Held ('Twas in I). I just never got anything out of it and it doesn’t live up to the standard of the rest of the album. I wish they had saved it for a bonus disc like with their other covers. At any rate, since there is almost an hour of original music otherwise, I’ve always just mentally disregarded it when thinking about SMPTe.

It's been a while since I've listened to that first studio album. It's probably my least listened to studio album behind Kaleidoscope.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2948 on: March 27, 2020, 02:19:58 PM »
As much as I love BAF and The Whirlwind (Kaleidoscope was a letdown unfortunately), SMPTe still has that early 00's new MP side-project appeal and is an absolute blast to listen to 20 years later. The formula they used to make epics hadn't been established yet so All of the Above sounds fresh and My New World has those grandiose Roine melodies that he seems to have lost the ability/desire to create after 2002. The other songs are great too but nothing can touch those longer tracks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2949 on: March 27, 2020, 02:52:15 PM »
The only thing I dislike about SMPTe (that I recall) is that super long and, imo, unnecesary cover song. Other than that, It's my 2nd favorite TA album right after The Whirlwind.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2950 on: March 30, 2020, 02:34:49 PM »
MP posted on FB:

Work continues on the next Transatlantic album...the 4 of us just spent an hour on a Skype call (Roine’s camera was off) making a bunch of creative decisions...
In true TA fashion we just have TOO MUCH music and too many ideas!! 😂😂
(I guess that’s a good problem to have)
Although we wrote & arranged the album together in Sweden and I then tracked my drums in Nashville last Oct, we still have been making adjustments to a lot of things (tweaks to the arrangements, who is going to sing what, etc...) so it’s still very much a work in PROGress! 😎
Hopefully the end result is not too far away as I know “We All Need Some Light” now 🙏

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2951 on: April 01, 2020, 06:21:19 PM »
As much as I love BAF and The Whirlwind (Kaleidoscope was a letdown unfortunately), SMPTe still has that early 00's new MP side-project appeal and is an absolute blast to listen to 20 years later. The formula they used to make epics hadn't been established yet so All of the Above sounds fresh and My New World has those grandiose Roine melodies that he seems to have lost the ability/desire to create after 2002. The other songs are great too but nothing can touch those longer tracks.

Kaleidoscope always sounds somewhat fresh to me because other than a few hooks I can't remember it.  It's the only Transatlantic album that I have that problem with.  I guess it just doesn't resonate.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2952 on: April 01, 2020, 06:24:14 PM »
MP posted on FB:

Work continues on the next Transatlantic album...the 4 of us just spent an hour on a Skype call (Roine’s camera was off) making a bunch of creative decisions...
In true TA fashion we just have TOO MUCH music and too many ideas!! 😂😂
(I guess that’s a good problem to have)
Although we wrote & arranged the album together in Sweden and I then tracked my drums in Nashville last Oct, we still have been making adjustments to a lot of things (tweaks to the arrangements, who is going to sing what, etc...) so it’s still very much a work in PROGress! 😎
Hopefully the end result is not too far away as I know “We All Need Some Light” now 🙏

I'd rather they take their time with it and get it right rather than be in a hurry to meet a deadline. It's not like people won't want to see them if the new album isn't ready yet.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2953 on: June 05, 2020, 05:31:48 PM »
Cool pic I saw on the Transatlantic Twitter page (from Portnoy's Twitter page) today:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2954 on: June 05, 2020, 05:56:05 PM »
I saw that, too.  The sixth anniversary of the six-piece version of Transatlantic. :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2955 on: June 05, 2020, 06:01:53 PM »
Yep. I knew Trewavas was not a tall guy, but seeing that really highlighted how short he is.  He looks like a dwarf standing in between Neal and Portnoy, neither of whom are particularly tall either.  Just an observation.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2956 on: June 05, 2020, 06:09:02 PM »
Yep. I knew Trewavas was not a tall guy, but seeing that really highlighted how short he is.  He looks like a dwarf standing in between Neal and Portnoy, neither of whom are particularly tall either.  Just an observation.

He's a hobbit.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2957 on: June 05, 2020, 06:28:18 PM »
Dunno how tall Roine is, but I was surprised how tall Daniel is - can only imagine how tiny Pete would look standing right next to him!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2958 on: June 17, 2020, 03:54:50 PM »
https://youtu.be/6RrzoXjL4_A

Near the end of the interview, Neal says TA5 won't come out til early 2021.

Kind of a bummer as I was hoping for a holiday release, but ah well, what can ya do. I guess having Sola Gratia finished first pushed back TA5 since Rich is mixing both, and Neal wanted Sola Gratia out before Morsefest.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2959 on: June 17, 2020, 03:58:22 PM »
Blame the pandemic.  I am sure they would have liked to have gotten the album out and toured this year as a 20th anniversary-type deal, but I guess 2021 will have to suffice.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2960 on: June 17, 2020, 04:13:01 PM »
Blame the pandemic.  I am sure they would have liked to have gotten the album out and toured this year as a 20th anniversary-type deal, but I guess 2021 will have to suffice.

Well, the pandemic DID lead to Neal writing Sola Gratia, so yeah, I blame the pandemic too!

In a non-pandemic alternate timeline, TA5 would've been out by September and would have headlined Morsefest 2020, but we get a Morse solo album in between. I guess that gives Pete and Roine more time to sort out their work visas to tour in the US whenever Transatlantic takes flight again.

Maybe Morsefest 2021 will feature Transatlantic if Mike's, Roine's, and Pete's schedules all line up?

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2961 on: June 17, 2020, 07:31:01 PM »

Well, the pandemic DID lead to Neal writing Sola Gratia, so yeah, I blame the pandemic too!

In a non-pandemic alternate timeline, TA5 would've been out by September and would have headlined Morsefest 2020, but we get a Morse solo album in between. I guess that gives Pete and Roine more time to sort out their work visas to tour in the US whenever Transatlantic takes flight again.

Maybe Morsefest 2021 will feature Transatlantic if Mike's, Roine's, and Pete's schedules all line up?

-Marc.

Hard to say. I can't see them wanting to release the new album early in the year and then waiting till later in the year to tour, if touring is possible early in 2021, and I also don't see Neal moving Morsefest up till early in the year, so I guess it all depends. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2962 on: June 19, 2020, 09:43:30 AM »
I guess I really should change the thread title.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Transatlantic: TA5 in production
« Reply #2963 on: June 21, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »
I'm OK with it.  I'd rather they get it right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2964 on: July 13, 2020, 12:45:55 AM »
So I've recently watched just about every TA video in the last couple of weeks (documentaries and live concert), but I couldn't recall where I once saw Mike exclaim to Roine that he ended up using a possible TA-Fdemo on a TFK album (I think if was "Monster Within" from Space Revolver). I thought it would've been in either Building The Bridge or the Live In Europe Tour Documentary, but I don't remember running across it.

Am I going crazy and making this moment up, or did it really happen?

Edit- I found an interview where Roine says he used some demos he brought to the SMPTe sessions in Space Revolver.
...I write songs and then I bring a demo tape to Transatlantic and I bring a demo tape to Flower Kings sessions. On "Space Revolver" I think it was "Monster Within" and maybe "Slave To Money" and maybe something more that was intended for Transatlantic but I used it for Flower Kings. On "The Rainmaker" I used some stuff that was on my demo for Transatlantic, but I don't remember exactly. I know that things like "City Of Anges", or rather parts of it, were on my demo for Transatlantic and "Serious Dreamers" was on my demo for Transatlantic. Maybe parts of "Last Minute On Earth" were also on my demo, and "Elaine" was there for sure.

http://metalkings.com/reviews/flowerkings/flowerkings.htm

I still swear I remember seeing a video clip of Mike hearing Space Revolver, which came out around the time of the first Transatlantic US tour in the summer of 2000, and heard a song and said something to Roine like "hey! I thought you/we we're going to save this for Transatlantic!"

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:14:10 PM by The Letter M »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2965 on: July 15, 2020, 01:22:44 AM »
It's probably Cover II cover three.  :biggrin:

:lol

Maybe it'll be called Cover To Cover To Cover?  :lol Or maybe COV3R TO COV3R?

-Marc.

Went back through the thread and noticed I totally called the title of the new Morse Portnoy George cover album.  :rollin

-Marc.

Offline allewartenaufdaslicht_

• Go build a steam-driven machine
« Reply #2966 on: July 18, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »
To be honest, I also don't mind the band taking more time to work on TA5. I think one of Mike Portnoys major flaws of the past decade (and thats criticizing him on a very high level, so please don't get me wrong) is this weird concept of getting together, writing, recording, tracking and mastering an album IN THE STUDIO in a couple days and then just moving on to the next project. Thats how Sons Of Apollo do it (which you can totally hear in their first two albums) and it's also what he likes to do with other projects. Maybe, for all the shit that it caused, the pandemic did some good here, slamming the breaks on TA5.

Neal Morse is such an endless source of ideas and MP has proven over his entire career that he knows how to make a great album. But in order to be mature, round and somewhat memorable, you have to lay the material to rest, give it time to develop and pick it up again at another point to continue forging it into the final result. That's why IQ - Resistance was 5 years in the making for example. Why MP always rushes to get everything out there as quickly as possible and then continues to jump to the next and the next and so on is beyond me. I doubt that he needs the money and it does not exactly further his reputation either.

Anyway I am really excited for TA5. I hope it's just one or two giant epics...

to the beautiful and the wise, the mirror always lies

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2967 on: July 18, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
To be honest, I also don't mind the band taking more time to work on TA5. I think one of Mike Portnoys major flaws of the past decade (and thats criticizing him on a very high level, so please don't get me wrong) is this weird concept of getting together, writing, recording, tracking and mastering an album IN THE STUDIO in a couple days and then just moving on to the next project. Thats how Sons Of Apollo do it (which you can totally hear in their first two albums) and it's also what he likes to do with other projects. Maybe, for all the shit that it caused, the pandemic did some good here, slamming the breaks on TA5.

Neal Morse is such an endless source of ideas and MP has proven over his entire career that he knows how to make a great album. But in order to be mature, round and somewhat memorable, you have to lay the material to rest, give it time to develop and pick it up again at another point to continue forging it into the final result. That's why IQ - Resistance was 5 years in the making for example. Why MP always rushes to get everything out there as quickly as possible and then continues to jump to the next and the next and so on is beyond me. I doubt that he needs the money and it does not exactly further his reputation either.

Anyway I am really excited for TA5. I hope it's just one or two giant epics...

Not to play therapist, but I noticed the trait came out more once Portnoy stopped drinking. You can hear it starting from 6DOIT. It was his way of coping and dealing with Alcoholism, his venture to stay away from it. Neal also could've been his inspiration and someone he could lean on, as they began working on Transatlantic around this time.

It doesn't bother me, one bit either, as we got some amazing side-projects. Do I wish he would've taken the time on some albums? YES. But it's how he works and it's who he is. It's a part of the Mike Portnoy package, you get when you work with him on projects HE helped form.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2968 on: July 18, 2020, 12:38:10 PM »
To be honest, I also don't mind the band taking more time to work on TA5. I think one of Mike Portnoys major flaws of the past decade (and thats criticizing him on a very high level, so please don't get me wrong) is this weird concept of getting together, writing, recording, tracking and mastering an album IN THE STUDIO in a couple days and then just moving on to the next project. Thats how Sons Of Apollo do it (which you can totally hear in their first two albums) and it's also what he likes to do with other projects.
Regarding the bolded part, no, that's NOT how SoA do it. I don't know the full story behind the debut album, but I know that's not how MMXX happened. While the basic songs may have been written out within a short period of time, and MP laid down his drum tracks, that doesn't mean that all the other guys banged everything out at the same rapid pace. In fact, I had heard that the other guys worked on their respective parts, building on to what was written during the initial writing session. Also, the fact that JSS and Billy were not involved in the initial writing session certainly gives credence to this (which was also the case with SoA's debut) - each needed time to work on their parts - especially JSS in writing lyrics and coming up with vocal melodies. So unlike LTE where everything was banged out within a matter of a week or two as you posted, this was not the case with MMXX and probably wasn't with the debut, either. And I'm pretty sure this is similar to how Flying Colors and TA both work.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2969 on: July 18, 2020, 04:40:45 PM »
To be honest, I also don't mind the band taking more time to work on TA5. I think one of Mike Portnoys major flaws of the past decade (and thats criticizing him on a very high level, so please don't get me wrong) is this weird concept of getting together, writing, recording, tracking and mastering an album IN THE STUDIO in a couple days and then just moving on to the next project. Thats how Sons Of Apollo do it (which you can totally hear in their first two albums) and it's also what he likes to do with other projects.
Regarding the bolded part, no, that's NOT how SoA do it. I don't know the full story behind the debut album, but I know that's not how MMXX happened. While the basic songs may have been written out within a short period of time, and MP laid down his drum tracks, that doesn't mean that all the other guys banged everything out at the same rapid pace. In fact, I had heard that the other guys worked on their respective parts, building on to what was written during the initial writing session. Also, the fact that JSS and Billy were not involved in the initial writing session certainly gives credence to this (which was also the case with SoA's debut) - each needed time to work on their parts - especially JSS in writing lyrics and coming up with vocal melodies. So unlike LTE where everything was banged out within a matter of a week or two as you posted, this was not the case with MMXX and probably wasn't with the debut, either. And I'm pretty sure this is similar to how Flying Colors and TA both work.

Having recently re-watched a lot of the Making Of documentaries for Transatlantic and Neal Morse albums in the last few weeks, I can say that, while the writing sessions may take a week or two, the songs written are usually based on demos by the band members, some of which may be YEARS old by the time they get into the studio. Transatlantic's studio time isn't JUST writing, but also arranging and crafting songs from various demos by Roine, Pete and Neal. Even when they are done arranging the music, and Mike tracks his drums (sometimes during or right after the writing/arranging sessions, though in the case of TA 5, Mike tracked his drums weeks/months after the initial sessions), the others take their time to refine and record their parts and overdubs. The lyrics and vocals may not even happen until months after the initial sessions, and the albums don't even get MIXED (let alone mastered) until several months, or over half a year, after their initial sessions.

The idea that they do all of their "writing, recording, tracking and mastering an album IN THE STUDIO in a couple days" is really hyperbolic and really downplays how well Mike works with his fellow band mates in his various projects. If all of the music sucked, then yeah, it could be a problem, but bands like Transatlantic, Flying Colors, and even Sons Of Apollo and The Winery Dogs, all have wide fanbases and many of them love the music they all put out, so if it ain't broken, why fix it? Mike's working formula works, so until he gets a HUGE bomb on his hands, I doubt he'll change his methods. But as Scotty said, it's not just Mike that makes these albums possible, and his band mates do continue to work on the music months after their initial sessions in the studio.

-Marc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2970 on: July 18, 2020, 04:53:36 PM »

SoA debut felt more like a mix between the Jam style writing (LTE) and the song writing (Flying Colors). Coming together to jam and finding the right style/styles to start writing songs in. For MMXX, they know the bands sound and where they can take it, so Derek, Bumblefoot, and MP each would already have ideas specific for SoA. These are what they brought in to turn into songs.

I think of it as homework. The main band songwriter or the one who is the final say decider like Steven Wilson, Mikael Akerfeldt, or Daniel Gildenlow, could ask the others they want to convene and start writing an album. From there, the others gather ideas already in mind that may fit the band style. Unless said Head Member says otherwise.  ;D

MP is a good drummer and has an ear for song arranging, which really helps when creating a song, cause he then can stop the band and switch it up to form a basic arrangement. That alone can tremendously speed up the writing process.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2971 on: July 18, 2020, 06:15:17 PM »

Having recently re-watched a lot of the Making Of documentaries for Transatlantic and Neal Morse albums in the last few weeks, I can say that, while the writing sessions may take a week or two, the songs written are usually based on demos by the band members, some of which may be YEARS old by the time they get into the studio. Transatlantic's studio time isn't JUST writing, but also arranging and crafting songs from various demos by Roine, Pete and Neal. Even when they are done arranging the music, and Mike tracks his drums (sometimes during or right after the writing/arranging sessions, though in the case of TA 5, Mike tracked his drums weeks/months after the initial sessions), the others take their time to refine and record their parts and overdubs. The lyrics and vocals may not even happen until months after the initial sessions, and the albums don't even get MIXED (let alone mastered) until several months, or over half a year, after their initial sessions.

The idea that they do all of their "writing, recording, tracking and mastering an album IN THE STUDIO in a couple days" is really hyperbolic and really downplays how well Mike works with his fellow band mates in his various projects. If all of the music sucked, then yeah, it could be a problem, but bands like Transatlantic, Flying Colors, and even Sons Of Apollo and The Winery Dogs, all have wide fanbases and many of them love the music they all put out, so if it ain't broken, why fix it? Mike's working formula works, so until he gets a HUGE bomb on his hands, I doubt he'll change his methods. But as Scotty said, it's not just Mike that makes these albums possible, and his band mates do continue to work on the music months after their initial sessions in the studio.

I am not arguing against his methods working well for the most part, but to push back on this a little, I think most would agree that Adrenaline Mob was a major bomb, and while not a bomb, Sons of Apollo appears to be pretty underwhelming thus far by most accounts (not talking reviews, since many prog reviewers will always give certain artists good reviews no matter what, for fear of becoming an outcast in that tiny part of the industry).  As we have said before, Portnoy's methods work best when he is with a really good/great songwriter in the same band, which he has/had with Transatlantic, Neal Morse Band, Flying Colors and Dream Theater, but didn't really have with A-Mob or doesn't have with SoA.  In other words, take away John Petrucci and Neal Morse, and the massive drop in music quality in Portnoy's collaborations, generally speaking, is more than obvious, IMO.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2972 on: July 18, 2020, 06:59:27 PM »
Yeah, agree with this. These bands do not have a wide fan base and some have pretty much bombed.  Sons Of Apollo just about limped to a second album and I would be very surprised if we see a third. AMob was similar. Even bands that are a little more well thought of like Flying Colors and Winery Dogs, I’m not sure they’re pulling up any trees in terms of album or ticket sales. 

Mike had some decent success with JP in Dream Theater and has had success (albeit on a smaller scale) with Neal Morse in Transatlantic and Neal Morse Band. Take those two mega talents away and he has struggled to replicate that success.  I’m not sure it’s anything to do with how those bands write and record, I think it’s a combination of those bands not being filled with songwriting talent and also that they are mostly side projects for most of the people concerned.  Winery Dogs is not Richie Kotzen’s primary focus, Sons Of Apollo is not Soto or Sheehan or Thal’s primary focus and Flying Colors is not anyone’s primary focus.  They aren’t going to give their best stuff to those bands and many of them don’t have too much success even with their best stuff.  You could say the same about Transatlantic of course but Neal just seems to have an endless well of great music.  I don’t think he needs to hold stuff back and I’m not sure how similar TA is to Flower Kings so maybe it’s a bit of an outlet for a different side of Roine.  It certainly seems to be that for Pete Trewavas.  They just seem to be the exception to the rule for side projects and magic happens when they come together.

I do agree however that Transatlantic albums are not written in a weekend.  They all (Neal and Roine in particular as they are the main writers) come prepared to those sessions with lots of ideas that are then expanded upon during the sessions.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:08:15 PM by Peter Mc »

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2973 on: July 19, 2020, 01:16:20 AM »
After listening to Bridge Across Forever in full again, I honestly could call it a 100% perfect album; every song is a 10/10. That would actually be the first album I'd ever say that about. Now, that doesn't mean BAF is my favorite album of all time, or that any one song would rank in my all-time favorite songs (there is a particular flaw in Stranger in Your Soul that I may or may not get over, that being the very long echo of "time" when it transitions into the ambient section), but it's easily the most consistently amazing album I've ever heard.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2974 on: July 19, 2020, 01:45:41 AM »

I am not arguing against his methods working well for the most part, but to push back on this a little, I think most would agree that Adrenaline Mob was a major bomb, and while not a bomb, Sons of Apollo appears to be pretty underwhelming thus far by most accounts (not talking reviews, since many prog reviewers will always give certain artists good reviews no matter what, for fear of becoming an outcast in that tiny part of the industry).  As we have said before, Portnoy's methods work best when he is with a really good/great songwriter in the same band, which he has/had with Transatlantic, Neal Morse Band, Flying Colors and Dream Theater, but didn't really have with A-Mob or doesn't have with SoA.  In other words, take away John Petrucci and Neal Morse, and the massive drop in music quality in Portnoy's collaborations, generally speaking, is more than obvious, IMO.

Totally agree with everything you wrote.