Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 530410 times)

Orbert, OpenYourEyes311 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online The Letter M

Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2835 on: September 25, 2019, 09:32:41 PM »
Oh, you mean Marc Papeghin? Heavens no, I am nowhere near as talented as that man, but I do really enjoy his work, both with prog rock covers, and his Final Fantasy medleys! Every Dream Theater/Neal Morse fan should definitely check his work out!!!

-Marc.
Ah! But it's funny that you knew who I was talking about. I've seen him wearing Haken shirts, so I know he's into the scene. I had to ask to be sure.  ;)

I've been following Papeghin's work for over 5 years now. He has actually posted here at DTF a few times, sharing his video of DT songs with samples in it, identifying the samples and putting video clips to them! If you haven't seen those, they're REALLY well done. Seems like Marc Papeghin has really similar tastes to me, in that he enjoys Dream Theater, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Haken, and other similar bands. However, I am just a drummer, and he can drum, play keys, play guitars, and all matter of horn instruments, as well as organize and arrange giant medleys! The man is SUPER talented, and I'm surprised he hasn't broken out of the YouTube scene and signed a record contract to release some original music! He's practically a one-man-band akin to Neal Morse or Eric Gillette, and possibly MORE so with his orchestral background!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2836 on: September 26, 2019, 08:28:55 AM »
From Transatlantic's FB page:

Happy 50th Birthday ABBEY ROAD!!
In celebration of this, as well as the fact that Transatlantic are currently reunited in the studio recording album #5, here’s a #TBT of our Suite Charlotte Pike/Abbey Road Medley from 2001...enjoy!
https://youtu.be/uCKJf2kFOiU

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2837 on: September 26, 2019, 09:06:20 AM »
What's "#TBT" mean?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2838 on: September 26, 2019, 09:10:19 AM »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2839 on: September 26, 2019, 09:20:56 AM »
What's "#TBT" mean?

ThrowBack Time

I generally equate it to Throwback Thursday.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2840 on: September 26, 2019, 11:13:20 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #2841 on: September 26, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »
I am so pumped for this. Watching that video has really put me in the mood!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2842 on: September 28, 2019, 09:38:17 AM »
For anyone on Instagram, Mike has put up a studio tour story, where he accidentally shows the TA5 ideas chart, and Pete listening to some of the musical ideas on his phone while sitting at a piano.

It's a nice studio, and it sounds lile things are going well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2843 on: September 28, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »
When do you reckon as far as a potential release month, then? Earlier in the thread, we had December down as a potential time for them to get together and write/record, but that's been pre-empted by this meeting now. March or April, perhaps?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2844 on: September 28, 2019, 10:09:30 AM »
When do you reckon as far as a potential release month, then? Earlier in the thread, we had December down as a potential time for them to get together and write/record, but that's been pre-empted by this meeting now. March or April, perhaps?

I would say late february or early march as they will be on CTTE 2020 and I think that having the record out would make sense

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2845 on: September 28, 2019, 10:19:34 AM »

I would say late february or early march as they will be on CTTE 2020 and I think that having the record out would make sense
and that in turn may mean that the first piece from the album may be released around December or January? (assuming the standard IO release plan of beginning 2 months in advance, roughly anyway)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2846 on: September 28, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
Mike has said Late 2020, so to me, that means AT LEAST September of next year.

This may be to accommodate a longer recording time, and to let the individual members (mostly Mike) fulfill their currently scheduled commitments for 2020 so they can tour on TA5.

I think Neal will release another Life And Times type album and tour in Spring. Roine will probably tour TFK more, and Pete always seems to be on the road with Marillion (who are probably working on a new album next year anyway). And Mike has SOA2, and that new metal band he just announced, so he seems pretty busy for the first half of 2020.

My expectation, TA5 will drop in October 2020.

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2847 on: September 28, 2019, 11:33:16 AM »

I think Neal will release another Life And Times type album and tour in Spring. Roine will probably tour TFK more, and Pete always seems to be on the road with Marillion (who are probably working on a new album next year anyway). And Mike has SOA2, and that new metal band he just announced, so he seems pretty busy for the first half of 2020.

-Marc.
Yes, please.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2848 on: September 28, 2019, 12:38:00 PM »
For anyone on Instagram, Mike has put up a studio tour story, where he accidentally shows the TA5 ideas chart, and Pete listening to some of the musical ideas on his phone while sitting at a piano.

-Marc.
Did he take the post down? I don't see it now, but I'm not logged in. Do you have to be logged in to see videos?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2849 on: September 28, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »

-Marc.
Did he take the post down? I don't see it now, but I'm not logged in. Do you have to be logged in to see videos?

It's not a post, it's part of his story, and I just check and it's still there. Stories usually stay up for 24 hours unless deleted by the user.

-Marc.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2850 on: September 28, 2019, 01:13:30 PM »
Got it, I see it now. Thanks - I’ve never used Instagram so I didn’t understand the story thing.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2851 on: September 28, 2019, 10:18:15 PM »
If anyone is curious, I managed to screen-cap the TA5 Sessions whiteboard that Mike "accidentally" showed in his Instagram story, and here's what I could pick out:

-At the top, it says "TA5 - Off The Grid", which could be a working title?
-Pete has 3 ideas titled "Sun Comes Up", "Genesis Bit", and "World End"
-On the far right, there's a part that says "Need in Overture", with two items under it: "Big Theme" and "Love? (something)"
-Mike has one idea, simply titled "Mowwww"
-Roine has at least 8 items under his name, two of which have red check marks beside them (possibly because they have already been used). From top to bottom, the ones I can make out are "Hogwarts"(maybe?), "The Samuraij" (?), "Out Again", "Hiking", "Folklore", "Black Swan", "Igorte"(?) and "Escape", with the first and last of those getting aforementioned checks.
-The far left of the whiteboard was a bit too blurry on my screen caps, but I think it's safe to say these are Neal's ideas, even though I cannot read his name anywhere on there, but it appears four of those ideas have red check marks beside them.
-Of these 9 or 10 ideas on the far left, I can make out "Overture", "Bally" or "Rally", "Rainbow ____"?, and "Westward Baby".

I'm sure Neal or Mike will release a full picture of this whiteboard at SOME point. At the very least, one of them will include in the Making Of "TA5" bonus DVD that comes with the Special Edition of the album next year. It seems like they have no shortage of ideas this time, and as usual, I am sure they are writing some new stuff as they jam along. Seeing them in these sessions really makes me want to rewatch the Making Of The Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope documentaries!!

-Marc.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2852 on: September 29, 2019, 06:05:47 AM »
If there's a song just called "Overture" then I might lose my mind. Absolutely the laziest naming trend in Neal Morse prog.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2853 on: September 29, 2019, 11:10:42 AM »
If there's a song just called "Overture" then I might lose my mind. Absolutely the laziest naming trend in Neal Morse prog.

:lol

I do not disagree. Ever since Snow's two Overture tracks, Neal has released no less than 8 individual tracks with the word "Overture" in them, and the two epics from Kaleidoscope featuring first movements BOTH titled Overture. The last two NMB albums are the most plain.

At least with Testimony, he added "No. X" to them, rather than just numbering them like in TGA. I've liked other synonyms he's used before, like "Introduction". He should also consider "Prologue" or "Prelude" as well.

However, I am sure many of these titles on the TA5 whiteboard are working titles, or just names for basic ideas.

-Marc.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #2854 on: September 30, 2019, 08:13:07 AM »

This may be to accommodate a longer recording time, and to let the individual members (mostly Mike) fulfill their currently scheduled commitments for 2020 so they can tour on TA5.

-Marc.

Hoping you are wrong on this, as I was starting to look forward to a TA-themed MorseFest for 2020, but the timelines you lay out make it seem like a later release next year. I can't imagine TA would be a part of it next year if the new album isn't out by then. So I'm hoping for a summer 2020 release and maybe they can kick off a TA tour at MorseFest this time instead of ending tours like they've done with TSoaD and TGA.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2855 on: September 30, 2019, 08:15:34 AM »

???  I could see being annoyed with his pencheant for writing overtures.  But how is that lazy "naming?"  If it's an overture, what is the issue with it being labeled as such?  It would be confusing to not name it as an overture.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2856 on: September 30, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »

???  I could see being annoyed with his pencheant for writing overtures.  But how is that lazy "naming?"  If it's an overture, what is the issue with it being labeled as such?  It would be confusing to not name it as an overture.

Neal could use prelude, introduction, opening...Prelude sounds nice.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2857 on: September 30, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »

Because the songs are just named Overture instead of unique titles for each new project. How is that not boring from a naming standpoint even if it is an overture? Why not just call the album Transatlantic 5? That’s accurate too but boring as hell. Neal has a whole bunch of overused words in song titles that I’d like to see him avoid. Hopefully Roine or Pete will do the naming.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2858 on: September 30, 2019, 09:30:34 AM »

-Marc.

Hoping you are wrong on this, as I was starting to look forward to a TA-themed MorseFest for 2020, but the timelines you lay out make it seem like a later release next year. I can't imagine TA would be a part of it next year if the new album isn't out by then. So I'm hoping for a summer 2020 release and maybe they can kick off a TA tour at MorseFest this time instead of ending tours like they've done with TSoaD and TGA.

I agree with your thinking, but everything's possible. FC just went on tour (and also did Morsefest) and their album isn't out yet. These guys have such a tight schedule that you just never know.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2859 on: September 30, 2019, 09:33:23 AM »

Because the songs are just named Overture instead of unique titles for each new project. How is that not boring from a naming standpoint even if it is an overture? Why not just call the album Transatlantic 5? That’s accurate too but boring as hell. Neal has a whole bunch of overused words in song titles that I’d like to see him avoid. Hopefully Roine or Pete will do the naming.

Since an overture plays a very specific musical role, I'm not sure why an artist would want to name it something other than "overture" (or at least have the word overture as part of the title).  It seems unnecessarily confusing to label an overture as something else.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DTA

« Reply #2860 on: September 30, 2019, 09:39:00 AM »

Since an overture plays a very specific musical role, I'm not sure why an artist would want to name it something other than "overture" (or at least have the word overture as part of the title).  It seems unnecessarily confusing to label an overture as something else.

Do you really think NM fans will be confused by a first track that has themes from the album?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2861 on: September 30, 2019, 09:40:19 AM »

Whan he's trying to say (I think) is that Neal could put a bit more effort in naming his Overtures instead of just slamming that name tag and moving on. DT, for example, has two concept albums and both have overtures. I know I would be annoyed if the "1928" or the "Dystopian" weren't included in the title because it would seem like they didn't care enough to put a distinctive title for each. It also helps to differenciate each track when you listen to the whole catalog. Just imagine JP writes a new song about somone who regrets past decisions and calls it "Repentance", the title is technically correct, but you wouldn't want two songs by the same artist sharing the same title, would you?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2862 on: September 30, 2019, 10:17:11 AM »

Do you really think NM fans will be confused by a first track that has themes from the album?

Your question has little to do with whether misnaming something that has structural specificity is inherently confusing.  You seem to have just skipped over the point that there's no good reason to mislabel an overture as something other than an overture.  That really just makes no sense.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #2863 on: September 30, 2019, 10:27:10 AM »

-Marc.

I agree with your thinking, but everything's possible. FC just went on tour (and also did Morsefest) and their album isn't out yet. These guys have such a tight schedule that you just never know.

True....and they did the same with the Jesus Christ Exorcist album so there is hope yet!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2864 on: September 30, 2019, 10:47:40 AM »

-Mike has one idea, simply titled "Mowwww"

A track written specifically for King....
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2865 on: September 30, 2019, 11:07:19 AM »
Just imagine JP writes a new song about somone who regrets past decisions and calls it "Repentance", the title is technically correct, but you wouldn't want two songs by the same artist sharing the same title, would you?

George Michael had 2 songs called Freedom, one with Wham, one solo. Fleetwood Mac had 2 songs called Angel, one by Bob Welch, one by Stevie Nicks.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2866 on: September 30, 2019, 01:46:46 PM »
Bruce Dickinson has a song "Man Of Sorrows" (from Accident Of Birth) whereas Iron Maiden has a song called "THE Man Of Sorrows" on Book Of Souls.
Bruce also has a song called "Wicker Man" (on his Greatest Hits album) and Iron Maiden's first single from Brave New World was "THE Wicker Man".

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2867 on: September 30, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »
Bruce Dickinson has a song "Man Of Sorrows" (from Accident Of Birth) whereas Iron Maiden has a song called "THE Man Of Sorrows" on Book Of Souls.
Bruce also has a song called "Wicker Man" (on his Greatest Hits album) and Iron Maiden's first single from Brave New World was "THE Wicker Man".

And if we want to be a bit broader, "Tears of a Clown" from The Book of Souls seem a mashup of Tears of the Dragon and Shoot all the Clowns, both from Balls to Picasso  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2868 on: September 30, 2019, 02:34:14 PM »

And if we want to be a bit broader, "Tears of a Clown" from The Book of Souls seem a mashup of Tears of the Dragon and Shoot all the Clowns, both from Balls to Picasso  :D
I just assumed it was a sequel.   ;)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2869 on: September 30, 2019, 02:44:47 PM »
Back to the name of "Overture", it's not so much a NAME as it is a description. I'm sure there are TONS of symphonies and other similar orchestral pieces with similarly named movements, by the same composer even! It's just a way to describing, to the listener, what this portion of the piece will be about. When I see "Overture" for a piece of music, especially an epic-length piece, I have the expectation of hearing a collection of themes and motifs that will eventually be expanded upon over the following movements. In many case, particularly in Neal's cases, it works very well, and it just seems to fit his writing style.

With Transatlantic, I sort of EXPECT at least one movement to be named Overture, ever since The Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope. I guess we'll find out in a year or less.

-Marc.