Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 528240 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2800 on: June 03, 2019, 12:56:58 PM »
Something they haven't done as a main-studio-album track yet is a fully-fledged, self-contained instrumental. That'd be cool.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2801 on: June 03, 2019, 05:33:36 PM »
Something they haven't done as a main-studio-album track yet is a fully-fledged, self-contained instrumental. That'd be cool.

It's crazy to think that with all of the prog stuff Neal Morse has done in the last 25 years, he has never really done a fully-fledged, self-contained instrumental with the full band.  His instrumentals are always overtures or ones in the midst of a concept album flow like The Battle.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2802 on: June 03, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »

It's crazy to think that with all of the prog stuff Neal Morse has done in the last 25 years, he has never really done a fully-fledged, self-contained instrumental with the full band.  His instrumentals are always overtures or ones in the midst of a concept album flow like The Battle.

On one hand it's crazy due to the high amount of prog output he has, but on the other he is a person to which the music's message seems very important, so it kinda makes sense he wouldn't put too much time aside for music that doesn't have any connection to whatever message he in conveying.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2803 on: June 03, 2019, 09:31:31 PM »

On one hand it's crazy due to the high amount of prog output he has, but on the other he is a person to which the music's message seems very important, so it kinda makes sense he wouldn't put too much time aside for music that doesn't have any connection to whatever message he in conveying.

Very true. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2804 on: June 03, 2019, 10:45:37 PM »
Now that you guys mention it, yeah, most of Neal's instrumental pieces tend to be his Overtures, but I think there was an effort on The Whirlwind to include an instrumental movement ("Pieces Of Heaven"), and they even did it again in "Kaleidoscope" (Part VI. Lemon Looking Glass), but I do agree - it would be neat to see them do a full-fledged, stand-alone instrumental track.

To be honest, I don't mind whatever format the next album takes, but I like Scotty's take on revisiting the singular-epic format of SMPT:e (and in turn, similar albums from Neal like Momentum, NMB's The Grand Experiment, and SB's V). Write one huge epic in the 25-35 minute range, then maybe 3-5 shorter songs between 5-15 minutes long.

Whatever they come up with, I just want the music to be good and inspired and feel fresh, but still retain that classic prog sound that they're known for, and more vocals from Roine, Pete and even Mike. I feel like Kaleidoscope was a step or two back in the shared vocal department compared to BAF and TW, so hopefully there will be more vocal interplay.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2805 on: June 04, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »
Perhaps they could follow a format more similar to what they did on SMPT:e, where they did one longer epic piece, and several shorter(ish) pieces. That would be a good medium.

I’d like to see this, as opposed to an album with super long epics only.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2806 on: June 05, 2019, 08:51:17 AM »
I kinda just want them to get in the studio and make music that inspires them.   I'm not saying that to be a fuddy-duddy, but if they spend their time in the studio worrying about song lengths and what not, I feel like we're not going to get their best work.   That's kind of my beef with Sons of Apollo; they're worried so much about being prog-metal gods that they forgot to be inspired musicians.   (I exaggerate, but you get my point). 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2807 on: June 05, 2019, 08:58:25 AM »
I kinda just want them to get in the studio and make music that inspires them.   I'm not saying that to be a fuddy-duddy, but if they spend their time in the studio worrying about song lengths and what not, I feel like we're not going to get their best work.   That's kind of my beef with Sons of Apollo; they're worried so much about being prog-metal gods that they forgot to be inspired musicians.   (I exaggerate, but you get my point).

No you don't and yes I do  :lol

Yes, honestly, I don't mind how long the songs are, I just hope it's not in the format of TGA, TSOAD, Testimony or Snow. But I don't see that coming on a TA album. Something like One would be cool. But since "epics and nothing but fuckin epics" is kind of TAs thing, I think we will get something similar as SMPTe/Kaleidoscope/BAF.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2808 on: June 09, 2019, 03:54:20 PM »

Not really exaggerating. Just do it and be organic about it.

That's all really what I want from any band. Doesn't matter which band or what box they get put it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2809 on: September 13, 2019, 06:40:46 AM »
We will have a new TRANSATLANTIC album next year.  I am calling it now. If this was a the case I think it will be very possible that next Morsefest might include them on one or the two nights.

—-

Transatlantic, the progressive-rock supergroup featuring Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, Roine Stolt & Pete Trewavas, have extended their deal with InsideOutMusic for their catalogue, & today launch their previous albums on digital services across Europe. This will be the first time that any of these records have been available on streaming services, and includes the below releases. Stream / download all the available albums right now below:

SMPTe
https://transatlantic.lnk.to/SMPTe
Bridge Across Forever
https://transatlantic.lnk.to/BridgeAcrossForever
Live In Europe
https://transatlantic.lnk.to/LiveInEurope
The Whirlwind
https://transatlantic.lnk.to/TheWhirlwind
Whirld Tour 2010
https://transatlantic.lnk.to/WhirldTour2010LiveinLondon2010
More Never Is Enough
https://transatlantic.lnk.to/MoreNeverIsEnoughLiveinManchester2010
Kaleidoscope
https://transatlantic.lnk.to/Kaleidoscope
Kaliveoscope
https://transatlantic.lnk.to/KaLIVEoscopeLiveinTilburg

——

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2810 on: September 13, 2019, 06:47:36 AM »
This is great news! I just hope it doesn’t sound the same as all the NM + MP output from the last few years. All these bands are starting to sound a bit too similar.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2811 on: September 13, 2019, 08:15:55 AM »
I suspect it will sound like Transatlantic. If that = sounding like NM + MP (which won't surprise me considering that is half the band), I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. After 20 years of collaborating with each other, it's safe to say they have found their core sound, the sound they naturally produce. It's probably impossible for them to deviate from it too far, because then it wouldn't be them.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2812 on: September 13, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »
I suspect it will sound like Transatlantic. If that = sounding like NM + MP (which won't surprise me considering that is half the band), I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. After 20 years of collaborating with each other, it's safe to say they have found their core sound, the sound they naturally produce. It's probably impossible for them to deviate from it too far, because then it wouldn't be them.

I wouldn't be disappointed per se, as the music will most likely be very good, but I just don't see the need for all these different bands if they're all going to sound pretty similar. At least, TA's approach has always been more towards a lot of epics vs shorter songs, so there's one difference there from NMB and FC.

Somethig else that matters here is that all their albums from the last 10+ years (maybe more) have been mixed and produced by pretty much the same people, and that also contributes to all of them sounding too samey.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2813 on: September 13, 2019, 03:28:48 PM »
Before "Waiting For Miracles" comes out in November, Kaleidoscope has been my favorite Roine Stolt appearance in the last 5 years. Depending on how much I like WFM from TFK, he may or may not have some good stuff for a new TA album. I'm hoping that both Roine and Pete have a good amount of material to use for a Transatlantic album, especially since I bet they have all talked to each other about doing another album (since both Mike and Neal have met and played with both Roine and Pete at various venues over the last few years since the Kaleidoscope Tour).

Looking at the Marillion Tour schedule, Pete will have a break between mid-December 2019 and late March 2020 (for Cruise To The Edge).
Roine's touring schedule for TFK is just 12 dates over 14 days during the first half of December.
And as for Mike and Neal, they end their Flying Colors Tour in mid-December with four dates in Europe. Mike then picked up a tour leg with SOA starting January 24th.

What's interesting is that all four of them will be in Europe by mid-December, just as their respective tours end. How awesome would it be if they met up in London or wherever to get together and write for a week before Christmas? Might be unlikely, but I can dream...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2814 on: September 20, 2019, 07:30:09 AM »
Listening to some of The Whirlwind again... wow! Still one of my favorite albums of all time :hefdaddy

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2815 on: September 20, 2019, 12:12:49 PM »
Listening to some of The Whirlwind again... wow! Still one of my favorite albums of all time :hefdaddy

:metal

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2816 on: September 24, 2019, 11:51:58 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/11963481292/posts/10157192835871293?sfns=mo

Apparently something is happening in the Transatlantic camp!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2817 on: September 24, 2019, 12:02:06 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2818 on: September 24, 2019, 12:10:44 PM »
It's kinda mindblowing in a way that 2020 will be 6 years since the last TA album.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2819 on: September 24, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
YES!!! Best news of the year for me.

And I like the fact they are not at the usual setup (NM's studio)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2820 on: September 24, 2019, 12:19:17 PM »
YES!!! Best news of the year for me.

And I like the fact they are not at the usual setup (NM's studio)

That's good. Mainly all NM and MP projects have suffered from having that same production and sound.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online goo-goo

« Reply #2821 on: September 24, 2019, 12:30:23 PM »
I do hope they stay away from the typical TA formula. Both 2nd discs with the shorter songs have been way better for me than the main material/songs. Still stoked though.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2822 on: September 24, 2019, 12:38:13 PM »
OK, so it is easy to assume now that TA will be at Morsefest 2020 one or/and both nights. If that's the case I think they will need a bigger venue as the last MF proved to be very successful and the one with best attendance.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2823 on: September 24, 2019, 01:30:31 PM »
How do you know they're not just meeting to write/talk about things? They could decide to record at Neal's studio later. Plus I like bands sticking to a standard formula. At least you know what you're getting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2824 on: September 24, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
They don't typically record at Neal's.  They usually have gathered there to write, and then to maybe record the drum tracks.  Then they go their own ways and record their parts in their own home studios.  Honestly, no matter where they gather to write, whether it is in Tennessee, Sweden, or somewhere else, that isn't likely to have much of an impact on the album's sound.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2825 on: September 24, 2019, 01:50:51 PM »
Just saw the news on Twitter. That definitely looks like a kit set up for Mike, so I think it's safe to assume they're at LEAST writing some things. I can see the typical cymbal stacks above the toms, and it's a Tama set, so I wonder if Mike shipped this to Sweden or if he's borrowing it.

Either way, it gives me immense joy and excitement to see these four in a current picture!

https://twitter.com/Transatlantic99/status/1176553746681204736?s=09

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2826 on: September 24, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »
We shall see.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2827 on: September 24, 2019, 11:12:45 PM »
They're at Fenix Studios in Varnshelm, Sweden: http://fenixrecording.com/studios/studioone/

Definitely an interesting place to meet up at. Very small town a few hours from any major city.

Seems like a great place to isolate yourselves for a week or two and get some writing and recording done!

EDIT: Ah, this is where the Flower Kings have been recording, and also where Anderson/Stolt recorded their album.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:25:44 PM by Cocopjojo »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2828 on: September 25, 2019, 02:25:26 PM »
VERY excited for the prospect of a new Transatlantic album!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2829 on: September 25, 2019, 03:14:02 PM »
MP pretty much confirmed on Twitter. He retweeted the TA post and added 'Yes it is' and added #TA5.

Seems we'll get a new album next year.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2830 on: September 25, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »
MP pretty much confirmed on Twitter. He retweeted the TA post and added 'Yes it is' and added #TA5.

I wonder if they'll be doing all the writing there, and perhaps tracking the drums, or if this is just a first-writing-session sort of thing. I only say that because each of them will still be in Europe by mid-December when all their respective tours end, so if they needed to reconvene to write or track anything, they'd be pretty close to each other. It's oddly coincidental that The Flower Kings' tour ends in Stockholm, Sweden on December 14th,  Flying Colors' last stop is December 14th in London, and Marillion's tour ends on December 16th in Germany. They could all meet back up to do some more writing, but knowing how quickly these guys piece together an album, it wouldn't surprise me if everything was done during this initial stay. I'd like to see them sit on the material for a couple months, though, and perhaps, after spending the next 2-3 months on the road, they might develop those ideas more on their own, or create new ones.

Either way, getting a Transatlantic album next year is the most exciting music news I've heard in a long while, so I cannot wait!

-Marc.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2831 on: September 25, 2019, 04:48:35 PM »

I wonder if they'll be doing all the writing there, and perhaps tracking the drums, or if this is just a first-writing-session sort of thing. I only say that because each of them will still be in Europe by mid-December when all their respective tours end, so if they needed to reconvene to write or track anything, they'd be pretty close to each other. It's oddly coincidental that The Flower Kings' tour ends in Stockholm, Sweden on December 14th,  Flying Colors' last stop is December 14th in London, and Marillion's tour ends on December 16th in Germany. They could all meet back up to do some more writing, but knowing how quickly these guys piece together an album, it wouldn't surprise me if everything was done during this initial stay. I'd like to see them sit on the material for a couple months, though, and perhaps, after spending the next 2-3 months on the road, they might develop those ideas more on their own, or create new ones.

Either way, getting a Transatlantic album next year is the most exciting music news I've heard in a long while, so I cannot wait!

-Marc.

I’m hoping due to their location (a pretty nice recording studio) that the intent is to fully record there during this next week or two. But we’ll see how it goes.

BTW are you Marc P of YouTube?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2832 on: September 25, 2019, 05:52:06 PM »

-Marc.

I’m hoping due to their location (a pretty nice recording studio) that the intent is to fully record there during this next week or two. But we’ll see how it goes.

That would be interesting, but as previously stated above, I'm pretty sure they only ever track the drums (and maybe some keys) during their initial sessions, where they figure out the song structures and album format (though even that can change during the post-drums period). Most of the guitars, keys, and vocals are all recorded at their own respective studios (or hotel rooms in the case of Mike), and done over the course of the next few months. This is why I said I'd hope they do the initial writing now, then work on it themselves over the next two months, trade files and ideas, then come back in December to properly record everything together, then off to mixing and mastering to Rich, aim for a late Spring 2020 date, and tour in the Summer. But that's just my wishful thinking!

BTW are you Marc P of YouTube?

Oh, you mean Marc Papeghin? Heavens no, I am nowhere near as talented as that man, but I do really enjoy his work, both with prog rock covers, and his Final Fantasy medleys! Every Dream Theater/Neal Morse fan should definitely check his work out!!!

-Marc.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2833 on: September 25, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »
I'll definitely check it out if the band has new material coming our way. Weird to think that the last one came out about 5 years ago. I thought Kaleidoscope was just ok, probably their weakest album so far in all honesty, but had some great moments nonetheless.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2834 on: September 25, 2019, 08:59:56 PM »
Oh, you mean Marc Papeghin? Heavens no, I am nowhere near as talented as that man, but I do really enjoy his work, both with prog rock covers, and his Final Fantasy medleys! Every Dream Theater/Neal Morse fan should definitely check his work out!!!

-Marc.
Ah! But it's funny that you knew who I was talking about. I've seen him wearing Haken shirts, so I know he's into the scene. I had to ask to be sure.  ;)