Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 531579 times)

Orbert, El Barto, Ben_Jamin and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
Re: TRANSATLANTIC to release The Whirlwind! Info Inside!
« Reply #280 on: October 27, 2009, 01:53:03 PM »
I'm a bit more than halfway through my first listen (just started "Is It Really Happening")... I'm really digging it.  Obviously it will take many listens to fully digest. 

Tell you what tho... I disagree with the idea that it sounds too much like Morse.  Obviously his influence is there, but as of yet I haven't heard any of the musical bits that have made his solo work stale at times.  He's been reusing musical material ad nauseam and his last album in particular was really predictable. 

To me this music sounds, in fact, like a fairly collaborative effort between the four of them.  I can hear elements of all four of their styles.   
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #281 on: October 27, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »
Alright, so I got the last copy (well, probably the only copy) at FYE. Haven't listened yet, cause I'm gonna wait until I can get through the whole thing in one sitting. Looking through the booklet I didn't realize that there would so many words. I thought it would be more instrumental sections.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: October 27, 2009, 04:37:32 PM »
I've listened to it 3 times now, and I like it. I do find some of the lyrics very annoying though. About the creator of life and dancing with him and stuff.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #283 on: October 27, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
great stuff so far, only a few songs in though

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #284 on: October 28, 2009, 08:15:12 AM »
Interesting.  Given the interest level the initial news generated (not to mention the interest level I would expect on a DT forum), there sure hasn't been much discussion now that the album is actually out.  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #285 on: October 28, 2009, 08:20:59 AM »
I may have lost a lot of music due to my computer dying, and most of it was not backed up.

So, to start a new music collection, I'll start buying more albums. This should be the first one to start it off. :laugh:

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2009, 08:30:55 AM »
I don't know about the others, but I'm just to busy sucking in the music that I've waited for so long to start tearing it apart already!

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #287 on: October 28, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »
Interesting.  Given the interest level the initial news generated (not to mention the interest level I would expect on a DT forum), there sure hasn't been much discussion now that the album is actually out.  ???

You know, I must say that surprises me too. Given the popularity of the first two albums, you'd think people would rush to the music stores.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #288 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:28 AM »
Oh well.  Less time reading means more time listening, so I guess I should be thankful.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #289 on: October 28, 2009, 08:51:22 AM »
Unsticky the thread. I suspect many go right pass the stickies automatically and to the newest threads underneath.  Plus, the album is out now, so there is no reason to keep this thread stickied.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #290 on: October 28, 2009, 09:11:11 AM »
Im halfway through...and I'm fairly certain I'll never listen to it again.
Big miss for me.

Enjoy if you're a fan though.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #291 on: October 28, 2009, 10:44:46 AM »
I've only gotten to listen to the title track twice, and that's nowhere near enough times for me to properly digest it. Initial reaction is somewhat mixed. It's good, but doesn't grab me the way the epics on their first two albums did. I also may just not have the attention span to listen to a 70+ minute song :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline j

« Reply #292 on: October 28, 2009, 11:31:02 AM »
I've listened to the album several times now, and as I predicted, I like it but it does not rival their previous two albums.  The lyrics don't bother me; they don't seem significantly more "preachy" than Morse's lyrics on the other Transatlantic albums.  In fact, if you had told me Morse was a Christian after I had only heard SMPTe and BAF, I wouldn't have been surprised at all.  I think now that people are aware of his conversion, everything he writes is going to be scrutinized from that perspective, which is distasteful to many.

For me, like somebody else said, the music just doesn't quite grab me most of the time.  The other albums had incredible melodies and harmonies, and instrumentation and effects that were really amazing in the way they stuck with me.  There isn't much of that on this album; it's good by itself, but when compared to the other TA work, it doesn't measure up.  Also I think Morse was much better on the other two albums vocally, as was Stolt (although Portnoy shines here, both on the drums and behind the mic).

The only track I don't care for at all is A Man Can Feel.  I also dislike the first half of Is It Really Happening, and I could take or leave Lay Down Your Life.  Stand-outs for me are Overture, Set Us Free, Pieces of Heaven, and The Wind Blew Them All Away.  The rest is mostly good.

-J

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »
This album definitely focuses less on simply hooks and more on more complex themes and ideas.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »
It isn't even out here yet for some reason, so I can't get it until next week! :(

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #295 on: October 28, 2009, 12:03:39 PM »
I think I can confidently say that's because your country is lame and smells of cabbage.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: October 28, 2009, 12:09:46 PM »
Just picked up my copy!!!!!! About to put it in for the first time!! (hahahahaha innuendo) I can't wait to hear it!!

Is there a making of documentary on the cds somewhere?
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #297 on: October 28, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
No, it is on the DVD that comes with the 3-disk edition.  If you didn't buy the 3-disk, you're out of luck on that one.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: October 28, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »
aghhhh damnit!  lol  I didn't even realize.  Whatevs.  The first minutes are blowing me freaking away!!!!!!!!!!!! :hefdaddy
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »
I have it twice :/. I ordered it but canceled it when I bought it in a store. But apparently the order came through as well.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: October 28, 2009, 12:19:57 PM »
Based off the overture/whirlwind I feel like this is going to be my favorite prog album of all time.  Although it's going to take a lot to compete with Scenes.  It probably won't top scenes, but so far this is just slaying.

EDIT:  This album is just amazing right now.  It just keeps getting better.  I LOVE THE BASS in this album.  Its got great tone and shape and you can hear it soooo nicely.  The production of this album is fan-fucking-tastic.  I'm so thrilled right now!   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:27:24 PM by 7StringedBeast »

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #301 on: October 28, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
I can tell that it will take a bit to grow on me, but I have full confidence that it will

Offline j

« Reply #302 on: October 28, 2009, 12:30:20 PM »
I LOVE THE BASS in this album.

I forgot to mention this.  The bass really is excellent on this album, both the playing and the sound.

-J

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: October 28, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »
Acutally everyone is incredible.  The drums sound AMAZING.  And portnoy's playing is just incredible in this band in general.  I love the style portnoy adds to the music.

UPDATE:  "Lay down your life" has some of the most passionate vocals I have ever heard Neal Morse sing.  Holy crap this album is just incredible!!!  I have I stressed this enough yet??   :tup
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:14:41 PM by 7StringedBeast »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #304 on: October 28, 2009, 01:20:20 PM »
I really think you are downplaying how good the album is.  Personally, I would say it is incredible!!!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: October 28, 2009, 01:23:11 PM »
DAMNIT!!  I need to step up my praise!  I need to get on the rooftop and scream it to the world!!!! 

No but really this is hands down the best album of the year, and I am not even through listening yet (almost though).  It takes a truly great album to get me this excited so quickly.  They just "have it" on this album.  I can't even explain it.  It's proggy, but there are so many amazing simple rock grooves too.  It's pretty overwhelmingly amazing at this point I think.

Offline ehra

« Reply #306 on: October 28, 2009, 01:48:21 PM »
Can't wait until I get a change to grab this.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #307 on: October 28, 2009, 02:15:12 PM »
Who was Change?

Who
Was
Change.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #308 on: October 28, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »
I will comment further when I have more time, but for now the short version.

I like it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #309 on: October 28, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »
I love the title track.
Just listened twice, but after watching the Documentary, I've come to realize that this will be one hell of a grower! The themes that they were recording/jamming to/playing on the DVD were already sing-along-able. And that after only having listened to the album twice. This one is catchy and epic, thematic and emotional, and not to forget, I'm listening to the bonus tracks now, and the Stolt songs are great too, what a different tone, but it fits TA really good!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #310 on: October 28, 2009, 04:34:48 PM »
DAMNIT!!  I need to step up my praise!  I need to get on the rooftop and scream it to the world!!!! 

No but really this is hands down the best album of the year, and I am not even through listening yet (almost though).  It takes a truly great album to get me this excited so quickly.  They just "have it" on this album.  I can't even explain it.  It's proggy, but there are so many amazing simple rock grooves too.  It's pretty overwhelmingly amazing at this point I think.

You summed it all up right here.
This whole disk, even the covers are Genious!
MP, NM, RS, PT are Gods! (not that they weren't before, but....)
:hefdaddy :hefdaddy
:metal :metal
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #311 on: October 28, 2009, 04:57:06 PM »
Uhm.. Play.com sets november 16th as release date?! :O Why so much later than everywhere else?

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #312 on: October 28, 2009, 05:12:05 PM »
What the hell, it said 2nd November a couple of days ago! Amazon UK has made the same change as well >:(

Maybe a problem with UK distribution I guess.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #313 on: October 28, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »
DAMN YOU CANADA POST

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #314 on: October 28, 2009, 05:59:44 PM »
I was originally pretty "meh" on this album, but I think now, upon actually listening to it a few more times, that it's specifically that I'm pretty ambivalent about the few couple of tracks (especially The Wind Blew Them All Away, so bad), but I'm starting to really dig the following tracks. I'm on Evermore now, and I've very much enjoyed the rest of the album up til this point.

Please don't ask me to compare this album to SMPT:e or BAF though. Seriously, it'd be like Bambi Vs. Godzilla.

Protip: The Whirlwind isn't Godzilla.