Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 529657 times)

nogueira and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2765 on: April 11, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »
Eagerly awaiting/hoping for a new Transatlantic album.

We all are, trust me! It's been five years since Kaleidoscope (which, coincidentally, was five years after The Whirlwind...it's about time they put out a new one, eh? :lol), but it feels like it's been a lot longer than that!

I'm hoping they get together sometime this year, as it seems like everyone has said they want to, it's just a matter of schedules lining up (as usual). I'll remain hopeful for a 2020 release date for a new album if they record this calendar year, which would mean a world tour in 2020 as well, giving The Neal Morse Band a much-deserved break after two massive albums and their tours!

Then maybe Transatlantic can play at Morsefest 2020 and give us full-album versions of SMPT:e and Bridge Across Forever!  :metal

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2766 on: April 12, 2019, 12:15:52 AM »
Speaking of TNMB, how long is this current tour going for? I know Neal is releasing an album in June, so he'll probably be busy with that one over the summer if he's going to tour it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2767 on: April 12, 2019, 08:19:15 AM »

We all are, trust me!

Eh, I don't know.  As much as I love them, I kind of feel like the project may have run its course.  The first three albums are untouchable.  The last one...not so much.  And that's fine.  It wasn't bad.  But it just didn't come together to be quite as magical as the first three.  And if that magic is not there...I'd be fine with them not trying to force it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2768 on: April 12, 2019, 08:24:33 AM »
Speaking of TNMB, how long is this current tour going for? I know Neal is releasing an album in June, so he'll probably be busy with that one over the summer if he's going to tour it.

There are no plans to tour for the prmotion of JCTE, and I know this as a fact, I asked Neal Morse and he said that watching the Morsefest 2018 DVD/BD would be the only way to enjoy it "LIVE"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2769 on: April 12, 2019, 08:30:08 AM »
Okay, thanks! :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2770 on: April 12, 2019, 09:17:27 AM »

There are no plans to tour for the prmotion of JCTE, and I know this as a fact, I asked Neal Morse and he said that watching the Morsefest 2018 DVD/BD would be the only way to enjoy it "LIVE"

I assumed this would be the case, since it would nearly impossible, logistically and financially, to get all of those singers to commit to a tour of the record, and there is no way you can do the album live without all of those singers.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2771 on: April 12, 2019, 11:27:43 AM »

I assumed this would be the case, since it would nearly impossible, logistically and financially, to get all of those singers to commit to a tour of the record, and there is no way you can do the album live without all of those singers.

You are correct!, I have had this album from some time ago (thanks Neal), and it is a really good album, and there's a LOT going on musically and vocally, it would be not feasible to have all the musicians and cast of singers to do a tour out of this.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #2772 on: April 14, 2019, 06:57:01 AM »
We all are, trust me! It's been five years since Kaleidoscope (which, coincidentally, was five years after The Whirlwind...it's about time they put out a new one, eh? :lol), but it feels like it's been a lot longer than that!

I'm someone who got into Transatlantic in between The Whirlwind (an album I now love dearly) and Kaleidoscope, so when the latter came out my expectations were sky-high. It didn't quite live up to them, but I'm not sure that was even possible. Most people seem to regard it as their weakest album anyway, and I don't disagree with that. But if they want to get together for another one, I'll be waiting impatiently.

To bosk's point: the magic might not have been there last time, but that's not saying it won't be in the future. That's like suggesting that Dream Theater should have quit after Falling into Infinity (another 4th album widely regarded as a step down from their predecessors) as the band "may have run its course".  :)

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #2773 on: April 14, 2019, 05:25:17 PM »

I'm someone who got into Transatlantic in between The Whirlwind (an album I now love dearly) and Kaleidoscope, so when the latter came out my expectations were sky-high. It didn't quite live up to them, but I'm not sure that was even possible. Most people seem to regard it as their weakest album anyway, and I don't disagree with that. But if they want to get together for another one, I'll be waiting impatiently.

It was the same for me, I became a fan at the same time. However, I think I'm with bosk, I think the band has run its course, if course I could be wrong.

Online DTA

« Reply #2774 on: April 14, 2019, 05:48:42 PM »
I just think the members are, for lack of a better phrase, creatively spent for the most part as far as Transatlantic goes. Kaleidoscope was as by-the-numbers as you can get, and it doesn't really achieve anything that cannot be achieved in TNMB, which is probably where Neal wants to divert most of his attention from here on out. Based on Roine's last few releases, he is absolutely out of ideas and is not producing anything that rivals even Desolation Rose at this point. MP has exhausted his bag of tricks 10 albums ago and I don't really find his production/arranging style to be effective or exciting at all anymore. Not sure what the hell Pete brings to the table (not trying to belittle his contributions, I just seriously have no idea what he's responsible for in TA), but Marillion is most likely gearing up to write a new album so I imagine he'd funnel any ideas into that. Plus he's never seemed to be more than a useful background guy rather than a driving creative force.

I love all these guys immensely, but I really think TA fans are clinging to whatever scraps these guys release in order to feel the magic we felt with SMPT:e and BAF and it's just not going to happen with this group of guys anymore. A tour would be awesome, but I'm not sure any studio work is necessary and it would be created out of a sense of obligation rather than a true desire to write something truly exciting and magical.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2775 on: April 14, 2019, 06:28:24 PM »
I just think the members are, for lack of a better phrase, creatively spent for the most part as far as Transatlantic goes. Kaleidoscope was as by-the-numbers as you can get, and it doesn't really achieve anything that cannot be achieved in TNMB, which is probably where Neal wants to divert most of his attention from here on out. Based on Roine's last few releases, he is absolutely out of ideas and is not producing anything that rivals even Desolation Rose at this point. MP has exhausted his bag of tricks 10 albums ago and I don't really find his production/arranging style to be effective or exciting at all anymore. Not sure what the hell Pete brings to the table (not trying to belittle his contributions, I just seriously have no idea what he's responsible for in TA), but Marillion is most likely gearing up to write a new album so I imagine he'd funnel any ideas into that. Plus he's never seemed to be more than a useful background guy rather than a driving creative force.

I love all these guys immensely, but I really think TA fans are clinging to whatever scraps these guys release in order to feel the magic we felt with SMPT:e and BAF and it's just not going to happen with this group of guys anymore. A tour would be awesome, but I'm not sure any studio work is necessary and it would be created out of a sense of obligation rather than a true desire to write something truly exciting and magical.

Interesting point. As much as I hate to say it, I'm not even sure there would be enough demand for a tour at this point save for a few one-offs.  I'd love a Bridge Across Forever 20th Anniversary Tour but that just isn't going to happen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2776 on: April 14, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »

I could not agree more with the bolded. 

There is simply no need for a new Transatlantic album at this point.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2777 on: April 15, 2019, 07:55:10 AM »
DTA summed it up pretty well. Kaleidoscope was such a downer for me. I have enjoyed the shorter songs on The Whirlwind (bonus disc) and Kaleidoscope more than the actual formulaic epics. It would be really cool if TA just focused on short songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2778 on: April 15, 2019, 08:26:02 AM »
Agreed. Both long epics from Kaleidoscope and the one Neal did around the same time for the Spock's 20th anniversary set (Falling for Forever) are all good, but they each kind of have that "I guess we need to write a long epic" feel to them, rather than them happening organically.  Notice that on Neal's last two solo albums and all three NMB albums combined, there is only one long epic (Alive Again), so maybe Neal is reaching the point where he feels a long epic is only necessary if it feels really special instead of it being time to write one just because.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2779 on: April 15, 2019, 08:44:12 AM »
To bosk's point: the magic might not have been there last time, but that's not saying it won't be in the future. That's like suggesting that Dream Theater should have quit after Falling into Infinity (another 4th album widely regarded as a step down from their predecessors) as the band "may have run its course".  :)

Oh, I'm not necessarily saying the band has run its course.  I'm just saying that, given that last one, I'm just not excited for TA#5 at the moment. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline krands85

« Reply #2780 on: April 15, 2019, 09:24:56 AM »
Seem to be in the minority, but I loved Kaleidoscope. I always wondered if it might be because I got in to the band a little later.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2781 on: April 15, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
Seem to be in the minority, but I loved Kaleidoscope. I always wondered if it might be because I got in to the band a little later.

I got into Transatlantic in 2005, just a few years after Neal left both TA and SB, so I latched on to SMPT:e and BAF. When The Whirlwind was announced, I was ecstatic, and eventually loved it. With Kaleidoscope, I was excited as well, but not as much as TW, but in the end, I really love the album as well. Do I love it more than the first three? No...but I enjoy it for what it is and find myself spinning it as often as any of the other three albums. I think I listen to it more often now because it's still newer than the others, which I've listened to hundreds of times, so Kaleidoscope is still "fresh" to me.

As for their contributions, I'd say while it wasn't much new for TA, it was still a bit refreshing to hear compared to what the others were doing at the time. It came out before the first Neal Morse Band album, and I felt like Neal's Momentum was a bit underwhelming, especially after Testimony 2, so hearing Kaleidoscope from the Neal-fan perspective was nice to hear.

As for Roine, he had just come off a two-album reunion with The Flower Kings, so this felt like a continuation of his 2012 and 2013 TFK releases, but little did we know, Desolation Rose was to be his last TFK album, and to be honest, like others have said, his material since Kaleidoscope has been spotty at best (Anderson/Stolt was more Anderson than Stolt than I'd hope for; The Sea Within, while good, hasn't had much staying power with me; and Manifesto has come and gone in my mind and hasn't made much of an impact for me yet). I think working with Neal, Pete, and Mike brings out some of the best in Roine, as I'd take The Whirlwind/Kaleidoscope over anything he's done in the last 10 years.

And as for Pete, well he did contribute one of the best themes in "Stranger In Your Soul", and some tasty bass playing and themes in The Whirlwind. His contributions in Kaleidoscope were probably not as huge, though I remember that middle section in the title track, where his singing sounds a BIT weird, but  it was cool to hear him sing on the album. I always think that, while Marillion is always seemingly "preparing for a new album", Pete surely has a lot of material stored away that he keeps demos of, though he did release a new Kino album last year, so who knows how much material he could bring to the table. Of him, Neal and Roine, however, he always seemed to bring the least amount of demos into the TA sessions anyway.

Would I be excited for new TA? Heck yeah! Would I be excited if they just toured! Of course! Would I be sad if they never did anything ever again? Definitely, but I'm happy with what we've gotten from them. I do agree, though, that I hope they don't reunite under some shared sense of obligation to release an album, and that if they do, it happens organically.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2782 on: April 15, 2019, 10:09:45 AM »
And also, there's the Flying Colors album this year as well as potential touring after the Morsefest gig. I think at the earliest, it would be 2020 for some writing sessions spread throughout the year. Or, with The Cruise to the Edge in 2020, they might play a one-off show in the cruise since everyone will be there (official members) and that might ignite the TA spark and start writing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2783 on: April 15, 2019, 12:18:53 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'd be excited if Transatlantic announced they were doing a new record, but if they never do a thing again, it won't bother me at all.  IIRC, the project was initially started as a way of Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy getting to work together, and here we are 19 years later and they have a (mostly) full-time progressive band together (Neal Morse Band) as well as a side project band that straddles the line between prog and regular rock (Flying Colors), so there really is no need for Transatlantic any more. Even the last album they did was done before the Neal Morse Band became a thing, so that just reinforces that there is no need for them to do more TA stuff.  It would be like if John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess said, "hey, let's go find a few different guys and make music like Dream Theater and call it something else."  What would be the point? 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2784 on: April 16, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »
I've been of the feeling ever since they decided to stop making new music in the 2000's (2002-2003, right when Neal left Spock's) that they may stopped while lighting-was-in-a-bottle.

why the comeback 8-years later with The Whirlwind was too-long of a break.

Had TA released 1 or 2 more records only a few years after BAF, those may have been of the quality if not better.

And with how disappointed I was in The Whirlwind and then Kaleidoscope, the magic didn't really show up like it did on those 1st 2 albums.

They didn't even have Daniel Gildenlow involved in the songwriting on those last records, which may or may not have made a difference. But I'm inclined to wonder if it may have helped enough to make a difference in those 2 albums. And if they ever do make another record, I would love to see him involved in some of songwriting.

Then again this Project originally was called Second Nature and was going to finally have Mike Portnoy work with Jim Matheos, which happened in a way with OSI, but now does not. Instead of a new TA, I would still love to see Portnoy work with Jim and/or Gildenlow on an entirely new band, but that would also add to what may seem like a massive headache of nearly a dozen bands Portnoy already is trying to at least semi-work-with simultaneously.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2785 on: April 18, 2019, 02:59:08 AM »
Although I understand all the arguments presented here, I still prefer a new Transatlantic than a new NMB.

In the ideal (and totally unlikely) world, Neal Morse's collaboration with MP would occur sporadically in FC and TA. NMB would cease to exist. NM would return to be a solo artist (speaking of progressive music, of course), without MP, Randy, Gillette and Bill. Another focus, other musicians, other perspectives. A Steven Wilson-like way of life.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2786 on: April 18, 2019, 08:15:17 AM »
Although I understand all the arguments presented here, I still prefer a new Transatlantic than a new NMB.

In the ideal (and totally unlikely) world, Neal Morse's collaboration with MP would occur sporadically in FC and TA. NMB would cease to exist. NM would return to be a solo artist (speaking of progressive music, of course), without MP, Randy, Gillette and Bill. Another focus, other musicians, other perspectives. A Steven Wilson-like way of life.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2787 on: April 18, 2019, 09:12:09 AM »
Count me in as being with Kev and Kramer.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2788 on: April 18, 2019, 11:52:31 AM »
Neal has his solo stuff of course, and can count Transatlantic, Flying Colors, etc., among his many side projects, so what is the "purpose" of the Neal Morse Band?  I always figured that some part of Neal still misses the relative stability of a "real" band as opposed to a side project.  The band he returns to when he's done sowing his wild oats.  He assembled a group of guys, but it wasn't just to play on the next Neal Morse solo album, this is the Neal Morse Band, the specific group that he chose to put his name on.  It clearly was significant to him to make that distinction.

I'm just talking out of my ass here, so if someone can quote Neal actually explaining the difference between the Neal Morse Band and "the group that played on the latest Neal Morse album", I'd love to read it. But that's my theory.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2789 on: April 18, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
Neal has his solo stuff of course, and can count Transatlantic, Flying Colors, etc., among his many side projects, so what is the "purpose" of the Neal Morse Band?  I always figured that some part of Neal still misses the relative stability of a "real" band as opposed to a side project.  The band he returns to when he's done sowing his wild oats.  He assembled a group of guys, but it wasn't just to play on the next Neal Morse solo album, this is the Neal Morse Band, the specific group that he chose to put his name on.  It clearly was significant to him to make that distinction.

I'm just talking out of my ass here, so if someone can quote Neal actually explaining the difference between the Neal Morse Band and "the group that played on the latest Neal Morse album", I'd love to read it. But that's my theory.

It would appear as if Neal's solo career exists now only for when he wants to do non-prog stuff like Songs from November and Life & Times.  He hasn't done a solo prog album since Momentum in 2012, and the guys from the Neal Morse Band did not play on those two non-prog solo albums (aside, I believe, from a very minor contribution by Eric, who did a few vocal lines on Flowers in a Vase).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2790 on: April 20, 2019, 12:51:27 PM »
I've been of the feeling ever since they decided to stop making new music in the 2000's (2002-2003, right when Neal left Spock's) that they may stopped while lighting-was-in-a-bottle.

why the comeback 8-years later with The Whirlwind was too-long of a break.

Had TA released 1 or 2 more records only a few years after BAF, those may have been of the quality if not better.

And with how disappointed I was in The Whirlwind and then Kaleidoscope, the magic didn't really show up like it did on those 1st 2 albums.

They didn't even have Daniel Gildenlow involved in the songwriting on those last records, which may or may not have made a difference. But I'm inclined to wonder if it may have helped enough to make a difference in those 2 albums. And if they ever do make another record, I would love to see him involved in some of songwriting.

Then again this Project originally was called Second Nature and was going to finally have Mike Portnoy work with Jim Matheos, which happened in a way with OSI, but now does not. Instead of a new TA, I would still love to see Portnoy work with Jim and/or Gildenlow on an entirely new band, but that would also add to what may seem like a massive headache of nearly a dozen bands Portnoy already is trying to at least semi-work-with simultaneously.

I wasn't all that thrilled with The Whirlwind either when it first came out, but seeing it live and after continuing to listen to it it's grown on me to the point where its almost as good as the first two.   The last one continues to be forgettable to the point where I don't remember hearing most of it when I listen to it. It's still sounds like a new album to me. I guess it's pleasant enough but it's one of the very few albums where I just don't remember a lot of it when I've heard it. The bonus disc of covers is more memorable to me but I guess that's kind of obvious.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2791 on: June 02, 2019, 12:15:45 PM »
Mike is hinting at the return of TA...

MP Gratitude Post & 2019 Update

Coming off the incredible back to back tours with The Winery Dogs and NMB, I’ve been thinking about how much gratitude I have for this amazing journey of music I’ve had over the last many years...

I’m currently in 6 different bands and couldn’t be prouder of the music I’ve written and performed in each and every one of them...and above all, the absolutely outstanding musicians I get to work with in each of them...

Thank you Neal Morse, Steve Morse, Dave La Rue, Casey McPherson, Pete Trewavas, Roine Stolt, Randy George, Bill Hubauer, Eric Gillette, Billy Sheehan, Richie Kotzen, Ron Bumblefoot Thal, Derek Sherinian, Jeff Scott Soto, Mark Menghi, David Ellefson and Alex Skolnick for enriching my musical life for the past many years!

(Also to the members of Twisted Sister, Avenged Sevenfold, Adrenaline Mob, The Shattered Fortress, Bigelf, PSMS, LTE and of course last but certainly not least Dream Theater for all the years we played together as well...)

As crazy as my career has been for the last decade, 2019 looks to be the first year I will actually have some activity with ALL SIX of my current bands...

THE WINERY DOGS:
Myself, Richie & Billy just wrapped up a month-long US Tour after having taken a 3 year hiatus...and we had an absolute blast each and every night!
The playing chemistry in this band is off the charts and we are committed to getting back together for a new album and full world tour as soon as we can coordinate our schedules again.

SONS OF APOLLO:
In January myself, Derek & Bumblefoot got together to write and track all of the music for SOA2. We are currently working with Jeff on writing/tracking all of the vocals and then Billy will begin his bass tracks as well...SOA2 is currently pencilled in for a Jan 2020 release with a World Tour to follow.

In the meantime, I have been working on the final touches for the SOA “Live with the Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony” Blu-ray/DVD/CD release that will be coming out in August. An absolutely incredible package that captured one of the most incredible concerts of my career: playing at this beautiful Roman Amphitheater with a Symphony orchestra and choir doing a very special setlist including covers from Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rainbow, Ozzy, Aerosmith and Van Halen!

NEAL MORSE BAND:
After having toured North America and Europe extensively in the first half of 2019 for the epic double concept album The Great Adventure, we are now putting the finishing touches on the live release of the Great AdvenTOUR filmed in Brno, Czech Republic. We will also do one final performance of TGA (along with Choir, strings and horns) at this year’s Morsefest in Nashville this coming August.

FLYING COLORS:
After our surprise appearance during my solo set on this year’s Cruise To The Edge, the long awaited 3rd album from FC (entitled “Third Degree”) is finally coming out this September! Many years in the making, we cannot wait to finally unleash this latest master work...and we are able to manage to play some very select shows in the US and Europe between Aug and Dec...(and an official appearance on Cruise To The Edge 2020) please travel to come see us as these are the ONLY shows we are able to schedule at this time! But I can’t wait to play again with this absolutely magical band!

TRANSATLANTIC:
After a surprise appearance during my solo set on CTTE that included myself, Neal, Roine & Ted Leonard (just missing Pete who wasn’t available), could the TA mothership be ready to fly again?? It’s been 5 years since Kaleidoscope...hmmmm 🧐😎

METAL ALLEGIANCE:
For all my fellow metal heads, there’s my metal outlet MA...we’ve already played some incredible shows in 2019 kicking off with our annual Anaheim appearance in January w myself, David Ellefson (Megadeth), Alex Skolnick (Testament), Mark Menghi, Phil Demmel (Machine Head), Andreas Kisser (Sepultura), Mark Osegueda (Death Angel), Bobby Blitz (Overkill), John Bush (Anthrax), Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy) & Trevor Strnad (Black Dalia Murder)...and 4 west coast shows in April that also included Chuck Billy (Testament), Troy Sanders (Mastodon), the guys from Exodus, Flotsam & Jetsam, Sacred Reich, Max Cavalera & Nita Strauss...

Thank you everybody for allowing me to have this amazing career and continuing to support my musical journey....

Hmmmm...maybe sessions are lined up this fall/winter?

-Marc.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2792 on: June 02, 2019, 01:10:54 PM »
I'm solidly in the camp that would prefer a TA album over another from NMB. It seems we can regularly expect new NMB music. TA has become a rarity, and NMB is not a substitute. The reality is that Pete brings something to the sound that RG does not. And while I greatly prefer Gillette to Stolt, the same can be said of RS as Pete. The two of them make for a completely different band, and I miss that sound.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2793 on: June 02, 2019, 01:16:36 PM »
Transatlantic > NMB really. I would like something new from them, even though the last one was a let-down in the long run. Less replay value than their previous efforts, but still really good.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2794 on: June 02, 2019, 01:24:08 PM »
Would love to hear TA stay away from the epics. Have really enjoyed the shorter songs on Kaleisdoscope a lot

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2795 on: June 02, 2019, 04:18:54 PM »
Looking at the original sessions for NMB's TGA, they were almost going to put out an album with 3 varying epics (24:30, 16:36, and 28:49) and one short song (as track 3, at 5:51), which is a VERY Transatlantic thing to do.

I think Neal and Mike have been itching to write another epic or two, especially sine TGA ended up being another double-disc concept album like TSOAD. It's been four-five years since they wrote "Alive Again" for NMB's TGE, so I feel like Neal (and maybe Mike) are down to produce an epic, and who better to do that than with TA. I'm hoping Roine and Pete have some epic pieces to bring to the table, as well!

If the FC tour is just a few small dates as we've seen so far, and they don't plan to tour in 2020, we might see a Transatlantic tour in 2020 following a new album, which I would be OK with! I can see Mike being busy with TA, SOA (and their second album), and maybe TWD next year, giving the NMB a year off again.

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: June 03, 2019, 06:05:40 AM »
I'm solidly in the camp that would prefer a TA album over another from NMB. It seems we can regularly expect new NMB music. TA has become a rarity, and NMB is not a substitute. The reality is that Pete brings something to the sound that RG does not. And while I greatly prefer Gillette to Stolt, the same can be said of RS as Pete. The two of them make for a completely different band, and I miss that sound.

I would write something but it would be saying this with other words.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2797 on: June 03, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »
Would love to hear TA stay away from the epics. Have really enjoyed the shorter songs on Kaleisdoscope a lot

Agreed.  I'd like to see them do a Whirlwind-type record again, with mostly shorter songs that mostly run together, but I am sure Neal and Portnoy will be dying to do long epics after the last two NMB had that type of format.  I just hope it is an inspired effort rather than a TA by-the-numbers record.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2798 on: June 03, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »
Yeah.  Nothing says "staying away from the epics" like an album with a 77-minute epic.  :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2799 on: June 03, 2019, 12:53:06 PM »
 :lol

Perhaps they could follow a format more similar to what they did on SMPT:e, where they did one longer epic piece, and several shorter(ish) pieces. That would be a good medium.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.