Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 524261 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2695 on: October 30, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
:omg:  Holy crap!  Ten Leonard can SING!   

If you would have listened to Spock's Beard ages ago, like so many of us recommended, you would know this already. ;)

I know, but I'm just not crazy about them.  Not sure why, but I'm just not. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2696 on: October 30, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »
Listening through the Whirlwind medley through Rose Colored Glasses, I was ready to declare that this is perhaps better than the original, full song.  But on Evermore now, that movement suffers, IMO.  But then again, Roine's Count of Tuscany solo spot at the end of Evermore is pretty cool, so...I dunno.  Mixed bag.

EDIT:  Beyond The Sun is pretty cool in a live setting.  I like this.

EDIT:  Okay, the Metallica sample in Kaleidoscope was hilariously awesome!  I had someone come into my office that I was talking to, and I heard that and literally had to stop the conversation and was like, "Wait...what was that they they just...OH!  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin "

EDIT:  And Pete's vocal section is AWESOME!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:25:15 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2697 on: October 31, 2014, 03:56:13 AM »
I've just listened to the cd's, I love the fact that they've kept the speeches in between songs, making it clear which are from the first night, and which are from the second night. I remember Mike's peeing joke for instance. It's always cool to have a show documented that you've attended.

And thanks Bosk, now I can't wait to see the blu ray!

About the Ted/Daniel thing, I thought they couln'd find a better fifth member than Daniel, and after seeing them play live with both, I really thought Daniel was more entertaining to watch. I gotta watch the new blu ray though, to see if Ted makes a better member of the group, instead of Daniel rocking out in his own world.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2698 on: October 31, 2014, 07:24:04 AM »
I didn't have much interest in this release, but hearing all of the positive comments is changing my mind.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2699 on: October 31, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »
I didn't have much interest in this release, but hearing all of the positive comments is changing my mind.

I didn't either.  It was in the "automatic buy to support the band" category, but I wasn't overly enthusiastic about it.  But I can say it was definitely worth it. 

BTW, I got this as part of a pretty amazing haul of new live music, along with Stryper - Live at the Whisky and Redemption - Live from the Pit.  Coupled with the release of Breaking the Fourth Wall, and stumbling on the $5.99 clearance of the Luna Park deluxe set, this has been the most epic month of live music releases ever.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: October 31, 2014, 08:49:27 AM »

BTW, I got this as part of a pretty amazing haul of new live music, along with Stryper - Live at the Whisky and Redemption - Live from the Pit.  Coupled with the release of Breaking the Fourth Wall, and stumbling on the $5.99 clearance of the Luna Park deluxe set, this has been the most epic month of live music releases ever.

5.99 clearance of the luna park deluxe? YOWZA!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2701 on: October 31, 2014, 09:00:41 AM »
YES!  And when I say "deluxe," yes, I truly mean the deluxe big box.  So insane.  Had to buy an extra copy as a forum raffle prize for the future.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2702 on: October 31, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »
YES!  And when I say "deluxe," yes, I truly mean the deluxe big box.  So insane.  Had to buy an extra copy as a forum raffle prize for the future.

That's a steal.  WHY YOU NO SHARE LINK!?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2703 on: October 31, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2704 on: October 31, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »

That's a steal.  WHY YOU NO SHARE LINK!?

I had seen it and didn't share it because I honestly thought it was a mistake. I figured if 2350892 people immediately bought it they'd try and cancel the orders out, but if only a handful grabbed it they would let it go. Seems they really just were clearing their inventory though.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2705 on: October 31, 2014, 12:25:41 PM »

I had seen it and didn't share it because I honestly thought it was a mistake. I figured if 2350892 people immediately bought it they'd try and cancel the orders out, but if only a handful grabbed it they would let it go. Seems they really just were clearing their inventory though.

Where was this? What vendor?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2706 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
FYE.com, was a month or two back though.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2707 on: October 31, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »
FYE.com, was a month or two back though.

Ah. I never look at FYE. No big deal.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2708 on: January 07, 2016, 12:19:55 PM »
Wow, looks like we haven't talked Transatlantic on this forum for awhile!  I've been listening to Kaleidoscope a bit lately, and rewatched a good chunk of this DVD the other day when I was in bed with stomach flu, so they are on my mind.  I like these guys so much.  But after having Kaleidoscope for a long time now, I can definitely say that it does not grab me NEARLY as much as the prior albums.  There is nothing I can point to that I don't like.  But it just doesn't soar to the heights that any of the previous albums do, and I don't really find myself seeking it out as something I am eager to listen to over other music in my collection.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2709 on: January 07, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
I'd say it remains for me their weakest album thus far, and is definitely their least memorable. That said, it's still a REALLY good album. Transatlantic is a particularly special band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2710 on: January 07, 2016, 06:25:49 PM »
That sums up my thoughts as well.  Really good album, but just doesn't touch the first three. 

Offline 425

« Reply #2711 on: January 07, 2016, 07:33:56 PM »
I would rank it third out of four. Bridge Across Forever and The Whirlwind are pretty much untouchable, but Mystery Train and My New World are my least favorite Transatlantic songs, so Kaleidoscope comes out slightly ahead of SMPTe for me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2712 on: January 07, 2016, 10:57:08 PM »
After nearly 2 years with Kaleidoscope, it's hard for me to say how I feel about it in relation to the other 3 albums. I feel that BAF will always be my favorite, even if I have my own personal altered version (with SCP's ending mixed back in, fading into the title track). The Whirlwind is just chock full of great music, and I feel like i've spun it WAY more than the debut.

I guess, Kaleidoscope rests between the debut and The Whirlwind, but I feel like it's about AS good as the debut. They battle for a tie in third for me because I do find myself going to their last album sometimes, if not a bit more than their debut (of which I almost exclusively listen to the Stolt Mixes anymore). I like the epics, and "Black As The Sky" is a great rocker. I'd say the ballads are the album's weakest points, but even then, I still enjoy them a lot.

I think, whenever a fifth album is released, I can feel a bit more confident in an actual ranking....or it might get even harder.

Speaking of a fifth album, there's really been no talk between the band members about it, as far as I know. Neal has been busy with his solo band stuff, and in fact, they're meeting this month (sans some Portnoy due to his schedule) to write and record some stuff for the next album, due out later this year. Pete's got a full plate with Marillion this year, working on a new album and touring through early next year. Roine's still on the Hackett tour as far as I know, then likely some Flower Kings and/or Old Kaipa music to work on. And Mike...well Mike is Mike - busy, busy, busy.

At this rate, I doubt TA5 will get released before the end of 2017, so unless they tell us otherwise (and manage to squeeze a week or two between their schedules sometime this or next year), I'm not going to hold my breath on a new album til at LEAST 2018.

What I'd REALLY like is the Progressive Cruise show with Jon Anderson, on CD and BD/DVD. Heck, release their "Kaleidoscope Live" set as well. a 3CD/DVD/BD package would be amazing and I'd buy it up in a heart beat. I'd like to have that Yes set, as well as the covers they did on the cruise, and hearing Kaleidoscope played straight through would be neat!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2713 on: January 08, 2016, 12:35:38 AM »
I recently listened to all the studio discs again. My ranking would be:

1. Bridge Across Forever
2a. The Whirlwind
2b. SMPTe
3. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope isn't bad at all but it feels a little bit rushed, no surprise there because they write and record it in a short time. But I think that especially the long tracks could be better if they were given more time to develop.

I wouldn't mind the Yes-set on CD but I'm more interested in new material but I don't think anything will happen anytime soon.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2714 on: January 17, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »
Spent the last week with Bridge Across Forever in my car.

Had to force myself to remove it on Friday.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2715 on: January 18, 2016, 10:00:16 AM »
just got an email from Radiant about the first three albums being repressed on vinyl, coming out early february.  Tempted to pick them all up, anyone have the Kaleidoscope LP that can speak to it's quality? i know putting such long songs on a single LP side can risk the audio quality going down..

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2716 on: January 18, 2016, 01:21:02 PM »
just got an email from Radiant about the first three albums being repressed on vinyl, coming out early february.  Tempted to pick them all up, anyone have the Kaleidoscope LP that can speak to it's quality? i know putting such long songs on a single LP side can risk the audio quality going down..

Damn, that's awesome. I may have to pick up Bridge at some point. One of my favorites of all time, plus a beautiful cover I'd love to have in giant vinyl form.

As for Kaleidoscope, I really love that album. Toss up between it and Whirlwind for 2nd place, but probably coming up 3rd. First album is easily 4th, but still has some great moments. What I really love is the live album. Easily my favorite that they've done (despite the lack of BAF songs). So much fun, and Ted really brings a whole new feel to some of the songs (LOVE We All Need Some Light on that record).
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2717 on: January 18, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »

Quality definitely drops past 23 minutes, it's inescapable. Can't defeat physics, especially with 30 minute songs. Only way around it is to press in mono.

They really should have re-edited the superlong ones to split them across sides, like they did to the Kaleidoscope title track. Especially when some, like "Stranger in Your Soul," have a huge cadence that splits the song nearly in half. Even if they just used fades, I'd take that (and thus a triple LP) over 30 minute sides anyday.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 02:01:40 PM by seasonsinthesky »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2718 on: January 23, 2016, 11:13:27 AM »

Quality definitely drops past 23 minutes, it's inescapable. Can't defeat physics, especially with 30 minute songs. Only way around it is to press in mono.

They really should have re-edited the superlong ones to split them across sides, like they did to the Kaleidoscope title track. Especially when some, like "Stranger in Your Soul," have a huge cadence that splits the song nearly in half. Even if they just used fades, I'd take that (and thus a triple LP) over 30 minute sides anyday.

Transatlantic have never been a band that operated with vinyl in mind. That's not to say they should either.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2719 on: January 23, 2016, 01:10:30 PM »

Transatlantic have never been a band that operated with vinyl in mind. That's not to say they should either.

That's irrelevant when their material is going to be produced on the format anyway. I agree they are better off operating without the 23 minute limitation, but then again, they seem to operate quite well with the CD limitation in mind.

Creative limits shouldn't be there, but adaptation for the format should. Neither the band nor the label are doing world's most stellar job at the latter, and it only hurts the band.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2720 on: January 28, 2016, 06:46:18 PM »

That's irrelevant when their material is going to be produced on the format anyway. I agree they are better off operating without the 23 minute limitation, but then again, they seem to operate quite well with the CD limitation in mind.

Creative limits shouldn't be there, but adaptation for the format should. Neither the band nor the label are doing world's most stellar job at the latter, and it only hurts the band.

Where's the market for a quadruple LP? I'm not saying 30 minutes a side or whatever it is makes sense either.

Given those choices I'm not interested in either vinyl option because of cost-prohibitiveness on one side and poor fidelity on the other.

Is there another option I'm not seeing?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2721 on: January 28, 2016, 07:30:17 PM »
Where's the market for a quadruple LP? I'm not saying 30 minutes a side or whatever it is makes sense either.

Steven Wilson fans.  :rollin

Your point is entirely valid. Some bands are just doomed to this sort of thing.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2722 on: October 09, 2016, 07:52:09 PM »
Happy 15th Anniversary Bridge Across Forever.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2723 on: October 09, 2016, 09:08:52 PM »
Wow, 15 years already?  Still my favorite Transatlantic album.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2724 on: October 09, 2016, 09:34:46 PM »
Supergroups for me are often clearly fun side projects that have solid and interesting results but rarely produce anything on the level of the members' full time bands.

Bridge Across Forever is one of the biggest exceptions. It could be argued as each member's best album. Maybe a slight stretch for MP, but I'd say it's at least in my top 3 for albums that Roine, Pete, and Neal have appeared on.

For Neal in particular it's also the 2nd album in one of the greatest three album runs: V - BAF - Snow
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2725 on: October 09, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
This album is easily in my Top 5 albums of all time, and easily a desert island disc for me, though I'd prefer my edited cut which re-inserts the ending of "Suite Charlotte Pike" back onto the end of its song, then uses that ending's noise to crossfade into the opening sounds of the title track. The album then runs nearly continuously through its first three tracks, with the only break being the slight pause between "Bridge Across Forever" and "Stranger In Your Soul".

This is an album that I fell in love with almost immediately, back when I first heard it in 2005 (when I was getting into prog). I was devastated to learn, upon discovering Transatlantic at the time, that the band was on hiatus for the then-foreseeable future, but we had 2 great albums by this supergroup, and I agree with Mosh's statements about how it's one of the best albums from each individual member. Pete's parts on here really shine, and Roine's vocals and guitar work are some of his best throughout his career. Mike offers up some tasty grooves and memorable drum moments throughout, and Neal is on fire the whole way through, hitting some of his best vocal performances in his career!

This album, and its songs, are easily a modern classic prog album, comparable to the likes of Close To The Edge, Foxtrot, and the like when it comes to 70's prog. This album is a benchmark of early 2000's prog, and still easily holds up to today, IMO.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2726 on: October 10, 2016, 10:25:48 AM »
I agree that it is top quality.  But I can't agree that it is the "best album" for each of the individual members.  It isn't even the "best" Transatlantic album.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2727 on: October 10, 2016, 10:40:25 AM »
I agree that it is top quality.  But I can't agree that it is the "best album" for each of the individual members.  It isn't even the "best" Transatlantic album.

Curious Bosk, which would you consider TA's best album? I really can't get into The Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2728 on: October 10, 2016, 10:50:38 AM »
Had the Overture/first track been better, I would put The Whirlwind at the top without question, since the rest of the album is aces, but while it is pretty solid and does a good job of running through all of the major themes we hear throughout the album, the first track is too scatterbrained, bouncing from theme to theme on a whim, for me.   

As it is, I think The Whirlwind is about as great as the first two, and what order I put them really depends on my mood.  All three are that awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2729 on: October 10, 2016, 12:27:37 PM »
To me, The Whirlwind is easily their best and is one of the greatest albums ever made.  But:

All three are that awesome.

Yeah, I'm not too far off from this, despite not putting the first two albums up on the same pedestal as The Whirlwind.  They are both pretty incredible.  I put TWW up at the top as the undisputed #1 just because it is SO good, and not because the other two are lacking in any way.  But Bridge is clearly my #2 simply because In Held on the debut is a big dropoff to me.  I love and appreciate all 4 of their albums.  But at the same time, ranking them 1-4 is very easy and clear to me.