Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 531008 times)

Offline Areola

Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2415 on: March 06, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »
My favourite part on the whole album is the solo buildup, and the solo, of Into the Blue. Fantastically played by the band and one of Stolts best solos in a long good while. My favourite part of the title track is the Black Gold part where Stolt sings. I am really glad he got big parts to play in this album.

It might be to early to tell, and probably blasphemous to say, but I am slowly surely starting to consider this my favourite Transatlantic album. I am probably going to change my mind, because albums has to be with a while until I can say that for sure. But this album grows everytime I put it on. I didn't like the titletrack much in the beginning, but now there are parts that I really love. I am still not a big fan of Trewavas singing part in the titletrack, but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Into the Blue is definitely my favourite track with Black as the Sky not far behind!

And hello again to you all, I keep popping in and out of this forum. Mostly just reading what other people say!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2416 on: March 08, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
The section of Kaleidoscope with Pete singing fits the song perfectly at that point. It's probably my favourite section of the song, especially the cello solo and its buildup leading into V. Desolation Days.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #2417 on: March 08, 2014, 07:52:24 PM »
The section of Kaleidoscope with Pete singing fits the song perfectly at that point. It's probably my favourite section of the song, especially the cello solo and its buildup leading into V. Desolation Days.

I really enjoy this part of the song, too.  I agree, Pete's voice does fit so well here.

For me though, I think my favorite section of the song is Desolation Days, and then the ensuing incredible instrumental portion.
- Ronzoni -

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #2418 on: March 09, 2014, 07:26:42 AM »
Mike just said they are filming a dvd tonight

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2419 on: March 11, 2014, 06:33:31 PM »
Late to the Kaleidoscope party. Listening for the first time now.... 3 minutes into "Into the Blue" holy shit!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2420 on: March 13, 2014, 04:36:07 AM »
So I totally should be asleep right now but instead I just watched a couple HD/High Quality recordings of three of the four Yessongs they performed with Jon Anderson at the end of the PN14 cruise! AMAZING performances from everyone, especially Jon, who still sounds amazing at the age of 69.

Also, just found out what Ted's verse is at the member's-lines part of "Black As The Sky":
"Sweet to the taste and a feast for the eyes, but under her cloak hides a beast in disguise."

I wonder if he wrote the lines, like if the band approached him and said "Hey, if you want to sing a couple lines like we do, write something up and we'll throw it in!" or if Neal or Mike came up with them and then proposed the idea to Ted.

I also just watched most of a compilation of clips from the Switzerland show and the band looks like they're having an incredible amount of fun on this tour. I hope there was a lot of energy captured at the Cologne show a few nights ago. I also noticed on setlist.fm that they were playing a bit of Metallica's "Ride The Lightning" in "Kaleidoscope". I wonder what other cover-bits they've thrown in on this tour, if any. They did a few on the Whirld Tour, so it's neat that they've done it again!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2421 on: March 13, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
Late to the Kaleidoscope party. Listening for the first time now.... 3 minutes into "Into the Blue" holy shit!!!

4 listens in and yeah, another great album... but I don't recall another album that had it's best moment in the opening 3:30.

I'll give it time to sink in/grow, but I don't see this overtaking the last two albums for me.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2422 on: March 13, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »
I think this album is going to end up settling in at #2 for me.  I've grown accustomed to the Pete vocal section, but I still wince a little bit at a couple of those notes  :lol   

Also, I recently did a cover of "Shine" at an open mic in my area and a LOT of people came up to me after asking where they could get the album.  That was pretty cool  :) [size=78%] [/size]

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2423 on: March 13, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »
I finally got around to listening to Kaleidoscope the song. The ending that begins with the intro reprise, I thought,  could've been cutoff. Especially if they ended it with a fadeout.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2424 on: March 13, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »
From MP earlier:
What a blast! Just played Sylvia & Hocus Pocus with Focus' legendary singer/keyboardist/flutist/yodeler Thijs van Leer here in Tilburg! \m/

Sounds like a good night in Tilburg! I hope that performance was recorded, video or audio or BOTH! I love that they're playing more of their studio covers in their live setting! First "Indiscipline" and "And You And I" on PN14 Cruise, and now "Sylvia"! I wonder if they have another guest for another cover song tomorrow night for the 2nd Tilburg show?!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2425 on: March 13, 2014, 06:25:33 PM »
From MP earlier:
What a blast! Just played Sylvia & Hocus Pocus with Focus' legendary singer/keyboardist/flutist/yodeler Thijs van Leer here in Tilburg! \m/

Sounds like a good night in Tilburg! I hope that performance was recorded, video or audio or BOTH! I love that they're playing more of their studio covers in their live setting! First "Indiscipline" and "And You And I" on PN14 Cruise, and now "Sylvia"! I wonder if they have another guest for another cover song tomorrow night for the 2nd Tilburg show?!

-Marc.

I definitely see a live covers release in our future.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2426 on: March 13, 2014, 06:37:10 PM »
From MP earlier:

-Marc.

I definitely see a live covers release in our future.

Well the encore with Jon Anderson ran at about 45-50 minutes long. Add to that the cover of "Indiscipline" and the two Focus covers, that would be about a total of 60-65 minutes. It would be an awesome unofficial release from the band, or perhaps include it in the upcoming live album(s) from the tour?!

-Marc.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2428 on: March 13, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »
Is tonight and tomorrow the first time ever TA is playing the same place twice in a row?? What could they possibly add to the setlist?? Probably covers, but that'd be cool if they actually added something of theirs. Mystery Train has been quite a while.. I was also ever so slightly disappointed at the lack of the BAF album when I saw the show, maybe they worked up Duel With The Devil for one night  :P?
 :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2429 on: March 14, 2014, 12:37:37 AM »
They're gonna play Master of Puppets
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2430 on: March 14, 2014, 02:18:17 AM »
I'll be there! I have high hopes, but a 'normal' show would be great too.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline suedje

« Reply #2432 on: March 14, 2014, 04:39:52 AM »
From MP earlier:

-Marc.

I was there yesterday, and camera's were recording the show.
And it was great, again, in Tilburg. Unfortunately, I can't go tonight, but I am curious if they have more surprises in place......

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2433 on: March 14, 2014, 07:54:22 AM »
I finally got around to listening to Kaleidoscope the song. The ending that begins with the intro reprise, I thought,  could've been cutoff. Especially if they ended it with a fadeout.

On the drumcam version, it has the full song out to the end that does not fade(about another minute), and has a little something special to close the song

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2434 on: March 14, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »
I must be the only one who doesn't give a crap about them playing the covers live.  Okay, it's cool when they have a member from the original band, and the cruise thing with Jon Anderson was a horse of a different name, but given that they have four full albums combined with the fact that they don't tour that often, playing as much Transatlantic material seems like the way to go.  I mean, those 5-10 minutes they spend playing a cover could be spent playing another Transatlantic shorter song.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2435 on: March 14, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »
I have to agree with that. I'd definitely prefer the entire All of the above to a cover song. However, it looks like so many fans are going crazy about the covers. Oh well, can't please everyone.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2436 on: March 14, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »
Always a good night in Tilburg.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2437 on: March 14, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »
I also agree with the cover thing. Nice that they do them, and I love them, but just not as much as a real TA song.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2438 on: March 14, 2014, 06:17:30 PM »

Tilburg, thanks for the great 2-nite stand! Hope you enjoyed the extra long show tonight... : )
- Mike Portnoy

I wonder just how much longer the show was, and what they played?! Tilburg always gets the good stuff! :tup

-Marc.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #2439 on: March 14, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »
1st Encore They played:Nights In White Satin & And You And I.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2440 on: March 15, 2014, 06:04:21 AM »
I must be the only one who doesn't give a crap about them playing the covers live. 
No you're not.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2441 on: March 15, 2014, 06:26:35 AM »
Great show in London on Wednesday night - Both Mike and Neal were on top form, and Roine's solo on Rose Coloured Glasses was a thing of beauty.
Still not sure about the encore medley - would rather have heard one of those songs in its entirity.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2442 on: March 15, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »
The second night in Tilburg was amazing! Neal was reaally struggeling, and Roine was having trouble with his equipment (kept on tuning his guitar, during songs, solo's, and couldn't stay away from his amp for 5 minutes), apart from that Neal's computer failed during the first encore, and there were some pretty big slips during the second half of the concert, but you know what? I don't care. If I wanted to see a band play exactly like you hear it on the album, I would've bought tickets for Muse or John Mayer.

The thing is, I had a smile on my face from start to end, I was really close up front, standing about 4th row, and really made eye contact with every member, felt like I was a part of the band. They we're having so much fun they wanted to share. There was jokes all around, breaks they didn't seem to have rehearsed, solo's were extended, intro's too, but all just because they weren't really focussing, just having a blast.
And so I was too.

The regular show was great, (only Roine's sound did distract a bit, and as a result he was missing some cue's), Mike said at the very beginning of the show that there was no intermission, because they had such a long set planned. (He called it the bladder endurance contest)
The result was that after the regular show, they came out for what they claimed was the 'second encore': Nights in white Satin. At the end of that Neals computer went crazy, so he had to reboot, with the rest of the member leaving the stage, so they came out for, well, the third encore: And You And I. Neal really struggled on that one, vocally, which had Jerry laughing his ass of behind the deck. After that they came out for what they named the first encore. The Above/Stranger medley. And as if a miracle had happened, after all the jokes, hichups and technical problems, they played the highlight of the show. That second half of Stranger was the best I ever heard from Neal.

All in all, I believe, they started just past 8PM, let's say introtape at 8:05, and stopped just before 11:30. No intermission. A massive show, and I've never been smiling more at a concert than last night.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2443 on: March 15, 2014, 02:36:59 PM »
Wow, sounds like a hell of a show, and a hell of a good time!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2444 on: March 17, 2014, 08:37:02 AM »
If I wanted to see a band play exactly like you hear it on the album, I would've bought tickets for Mus

Huh? That doesn't even slightly apply to Muse!

Glad the show was so awesome though!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2445 on: March 17, 2014, 08:40:30 AM »
If I wanted to see a band play exactly like you hear it on the album, I would've bought tickets for Mus

Huh? That doesn't even slightly apply to Muse!

Okay, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who read that and thought WTF. :lol :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2446 on: March 17, 2014, 10:28:59 AM »
Mus

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2447 on: March 17, 2014, 11:40:59 AM »
Yeah, that's a different band.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2448 on: March 17, 2014, 11:58:34 AM »
So how many live performances will be released from this tour this time around?!

Just for the record:
SMPT:e Tour - 2 Performances; 1 for the live DVD, 1 for the live album
BAF Tour - 1 performance; the 013 Tilburg show was used for both DVD and CD releases
Whirld Tour - 3 Performances; London for the first DVD/CD release, Tilburg for another DVD release and Manchester for CD

With a larger tour and a varying set list throughout (many songs shuffled positions, and some shows got more songs than others), I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that we'll get 3 or 4 full shows released from Transatlantic this/next year.
We'll definitely get the Cologne show as Mike pointed out that they recorded it, I believe, for film and audio release. That might be the first major live release of the tour.

We'll more than likely get the Progressive Nation At Sea performances as well, both the full Kaleidoscope Live set, and the 2nd set with the Jon Anderson/Yes Encore - it would make for a great 3-disc live set, wouldn't it? Video would be swell, too!

With a two-night stand at Tilburg, I can see the audio being pulled from that show for an Audio-Only release, especially with the covers that were involved. They could also always just throw those covers on to the end of the Encore-disc from the PNAS show, or just release a TA-Live Covers albums with the Yes Encore, and the other covers they've played this tour.

Whatever they decide to release, you can bet I'll be ready and waiting to pre-order anything they've got!

-Marc.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:11 AM »
My guess:

Cologne box set, like the Whirld Tour Box Set, 2Dvd's/3CD's, or Blu-ray/3cd's
Tilburg alternative release, with the best of two nights (especially since the band wasn't playing their best gig ever), on DVD/blu-ray (maybe a audio release from earlier in the tour?)

And the PN14 release will be standalone, maybe in a Cruise-box set. I expect a massive release with the best of the Cruise. Like 3 blu-ray's and 5cd's or something. No full shows (maybe for two or three headliners), just best bits. I don't think performances will be released apart from each other, at least not offically.