Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 524248 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: TRANSATLANTIC to release The Whirlwind! Info Inside!
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2009, 02:06:52 PM »
Man, I know those guys love to push the whole "We are so fucking prog" thing, but seriously... 77 minutes?  Is there some kind of award given to the band with the longest single track?

It's very impressive, but how often are you going to sit down and listen to a 77-minute song?

Well, usually I listen to whole albums and not just single songs. So its not that big of a deal to me, its just gonna be like a regular album sitting.

Man, I miss the days of having even an hour or two to just listen to music.  Sitting in my room, door closed, stereo cranking out my new album while I read the liner notes and check out the pictures.  Learn all the lyrics, geek out to the credits ("Interesting... he plays fretless on two songs, and Stick on one").  Nowadays, 99% of my "real" listening is done in the car during my commute.  It's the only time I can crank it, really listen, and not have to worry about the phone ringing or the TV or something stupid one of my kids (or my wife) is doing.  And my commute is only 30-40 minutes, so this one track will require one "there and back" for me to hear the whole thing, with a ten-hour workday for an intermission.

If I didn't get into prog in my younger days, I don't know if I'd have the time or attention span now.  I'm just sayin'.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2009, 02:09:37 PM »
I'm going to use this thread to say that All of the Above is fucking legendary, and just put me in a whole new state of anticipation for this record.

That is all.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2009, 02:23:34 PM »
Also, bosky, Stolt is a genius, so if they really all contributed equally, we are probably in for a real gem of an album.

QFT, on all accounts.

Oh, I'm not denying that.  But I get that impression that, like a lot of geniuses, he's also a bit odd.

True.  I think it takes being a bit quirky and odd to be a musical genius.  See Peter Gabriel and David Bowie for more details. :lol

I'm going to use this thread to say that All of the Above is fucking legendary

Damn straight.  And as awesome as it is, it is probably only my 3rd favorite epic of theirs; I like "My New World" more, and it doesn't get any better than "Stranger in Your Soul."  The end of that song is borderline criminal, it's so good.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2009, 02:52:56 PM »
Yeah, My New World is probably my favourite big song off SMPTe. The main theme is just wonderful!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2009, 02:55:40 PM »
Yeah, My New World is probably my favourite big song off SMPTe. The main theme is just wonderful!

Yep.  And I always gotta give mad props to the "Disappointment struck him hard..." section, which is what made me want to check out The Flower Kings.  I thought Roine's voice sounded awesome and wanted to hear his regular band.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »
:lol That is literally the exact same reason I decided to check out TFK, who are now one of my top 10 bands!

I listened through SMPTe and now that I'm so familiar with all the musicians and their bands, it's become clear that the song really does have Stolt's influence all over it!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MS394

« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »
Whoa, pardon my ignorance, but this is the longest song that exists that I know of. Still, looks like it will be an amazing album.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2009, 05:43:11 PM »
Whoa, pardon my ignorance, but this is the longest song that exists that I know of.

Oh, there's longer. Much MUCH longer...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
Whoa, pardon my ignorance, but this is the longest song that exists that I know of.

Oh, there's longer. Much MUCH longer...

That doesn't count.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
Yeah, Transatlantic is the reason I checked out The Flower Kings and Neal Morse.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2009, 06:15:53 PM »
Well DT has their 42 minute opus "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence", Neal Morse has his ? album (which is essentially one song), and TFK have their "Garden of Dreams" at nearly an hour... looks like each of them have definitely topped themselves with this massive 77-minute epic!!!

I wonder how it will translate live, if they indeed play the whole thing (and know each of them, they will definitely try if they tour it out).

I also wonder what setlists will look like for a TA tour this time around. Hopefully they bring out "Mystery Train" again!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2009, 01:29:51 AM »
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2009, 11:54:52 AM »
Cool, I liked their previous efforts, so I will definitely check out this! One epic long song and a few covers, can be no wrong!

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »
I think I may have to pick this up. 77 minutes! Pretty sweet.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2009, 08:23:57 AM »
Does anyone else think that each band member picked one of the four covers?

"The Return of the Giant Hogweed" (Genesis) - Pete
"A Salty Dog" (Procol Harum) - Mike
"I Need You" (America / The Beatles) - Neal
"Soul Sacrifice" (Santana) - Roine

I covered a bit of "Hogweed" during one of their American tour and one of them probably wanted to do a proper, full-version recording of it this time around, and I figured it'd be Pete, being the British one and probably more of a fan of Genesis than the others (perhaps?).
The Beatles pick is likely Neal's since he's such a Beatle fan, and America's "I Need You" just sounds like a song Neal would want to do!
I think the choice to do ANOTHER Procol Harum song is probably Mike's. I'm not sure how he feels about this band, but I know his tastes are varied and out there, so maybe he was key to picking this lesser known song.
And the Santana one? Well Roine is a very diverse guitarist, and his tastes go beyond prog, so I can see him getting into Santana and picking this piece (although if they do the Woodstock version, the drum solo made me think Mike picked).

Your thoughts?

Or maybe Mike picked them all... who knows! He's been cover-happy lately - BC&SL bonus disc, doing "Starless" with Neal and Randy (as well as the covers from Lifeline, but he's always done covers with Neal while recording his albums), and releasing DT's covers on the recent Uncovered 2003-2005.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 10:14:23 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »
As pointed out on the Building The Bridge VHS/DVD, Mike usually picks covers. All other contribute demo's, and Mike does the covers.

Maybe that's changed, but these are all songs (or at least bands) that Mike adores.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2009, 01:57:43 PM »
As pointed out on the Building The Bridge VHS/DVD, Mike usually picks covers. All other contribute demo's, and Mike does the covers.

Maybe that's changed, but these are all songs (or at least bands) that Mike adores.

Ahh okay. I guess I missed that part on Building The Bridge last time I watched it, or just forgot... I guess that makes sense seeing as how Mike doesn't really contribute demos, but more so to the arranging process, as well as drums and vocals.

These are some pretty interesting choices though, so I'm hoping that "Soul Sacrifice" is the trippy Woodstock version with the drum solo in the middle! I watched it on YouTube last night (not having heard it before then) and was quite amazed! I can't wait to hear TA's version!

-Marc.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2009, 03:42:48 PM »
Yeah, that's the one I'm looking forward the most too.

Soul Sacrifice is great. The Moonflower version is my favourite one.

Oh and Spock's Beard already covered it on their V tour I believe.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2009, 09:42:16 AM »
My new world waits patiently, when living is lost in a memory.

I LOVE THAT PART  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2009, 01:43:39 PM »
Holy crap!  I am soooo excited for this.  1 77 minute song and then some!!  YESSSS
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »
Found this on The Whirlwind's wiki page - https://www.billevansmedia.com/artists/transatlantic/

Individual tracks/movements for the title track!

I. "Overture / Whirlwind"
II. "The Wind Blew Them All Away"
III. "On the Prowl"
IV. "A Man Can Feel"
V. "Out of the Night "
VI. "Rose Colored Glasses"
VII. "Evermore"
VIII. "Set Us Free"
IX. "Lay Down Your Life "
X. "Pieces of Heaven"
XI. "Is it Really Happening"
XII. "Dancing with Eternal Glory / Whirlwind (Reprise)" 

Veeeeeery interesting... October 27th can't get here any sooner!! AHHH!

-Marc.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2009, 01:57:51 AM »
That sounds really awesome. It really feels like a combination of Garden of Dream and All Of The Above, maybe even with some Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I really can't wait another month
 :sadpanda:

:D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
That sounds really awesome. It really feels like a combination of Garden of Dream and All Of The Above, maybe even with some Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I really can't wait another month
 :sadpanda:

:D

I think you're right! It was probably more of a "?"-type epic, then with Roine, Pete and Mike in the fold, it got some of their input and became even MORE epic. I expect it to be the most epic piece any one of these four guys have ever been a part of (Yes, beating "Garden of Dreams", "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" and any whole concept album by Marillion, like Misplaced Childhood or Brave).

It's interesting reading the Press Kit. I was wondering what the meaning(s) behind "The Whirlwind" were, and I wonder if Mike, Pete and Roine made a conscious effort to divert Neal's original intention with the piece into something more... secular, or if that just ended up happening that way through the writing process.

Then again, Neal's writing for Transatlantic was always a bit spiritual and Christian-laced, even in titles like "We All Need Some Light Now", "Duel With The Devil" and "Stranger In Your Soul", using spiritual ideas that leaned toward Christianity. It was a bit more so in Spock's Beard, but not as blatant in TA, so I wonder if Neal (and/or the rest) made an effort to keep it that way this go around.

-Marc.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
Good observation Marc.

First of all, what press kit are you talking about? The original press release from the first post?

Secondly, about the christian thing, I remember a scene from Building The Bridge, in which Mike and Pete agree that some 'Neal Morse/Spock's Beard type writing and NM/SB chord progressions' should be altered, to make it sound more like Transatlantic.
So I guess it works the same way for the lyrics. And although that is less of a group effort than the writing and arranging is, I think the last thing all four musicians would want, is people saying 'Oh, this sounds just like a ... solo album', they're all way too big in this genre to want that. Not out of cockyness, but to bring this project up a level.

I AM really looking forward  :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2009, 09:23:39 AM »
Thank goodness the title track will be split into many different tracks.

And while Neal's lyrics on the first TA albums were spiritual, they were not too over-the-top or in-your-face, and I am pretty confident the ones on the new record will be along those lines, as well.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2009, 09:36:54 AM »
Good observation Marc.

First of all, what press kit are you talking about? The original press release from the first post?

Secondly, about the christian thing, I remember a scene from Building The Bridge, in which Mike and Pete agree that some 'Neal Morse/Spock's Beard type writing and NM/SB chord progressions' should be altered, to make it sound more like Transatlantic.
So I guess it works the same way for the lyrics. And although that is less of a group effort than the writing and arranging is, I think the last thing all four musicians would want, is people saying 'Oh, this sounds just like a ... solo album', they're all way too big in this genre to want that. Not out of cockyness, but to bring this project up a level.

I AM really looking forward  :D

Click on the link I posted a few posts back, and there's a link on that page that says "Download Press Kit". It contains images and a couple of text-files, TA's bio/history and the story behind the making of "The Whirlwind", a VERY good read (albeit short, but still good).

-Marc.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2009, 09:48:30 AM »
I would be pretty disappointed if there were christian lyrics like on Morse's solo albums. I find it hard to listen to his albums because of the lyrics.

Offline j

« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »
I can't explain why, but I'm really excited for this album.  I mean I love their other two albums, but even with bands I like, I never really anticipate new releases that much to keep my expectations low so that I'm not disappointed when it isn't perfect.  But for some reason, I'm finding myself unable to do that with this album.

-J

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: TRANSATLANTIC Reunite for New Studio Album!
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2009, 10:22:08 AM »
Wasn't BAF practically one big song, anyway?
 :hat

No.

It really feels like it is, though.
No it doesn't.

Yes, it does.
Duel With The Devil sounds nothing like Suite Charlotte Pike, which sounds nothing like Bridge Across Forever, which sounds nothing like Stranger In Your Soul.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline dech2410

« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2009, 07:01:39 AM »
It has a common thing, but not one song really

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2009, 03:49:44 PM »
Preorder
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2413352.aspx

1st 200 preorders get put into a drawing for Mike's The Whirlwind studio chart.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2009, 05:03:24 PM »
Ordered the Deluxe with making of dvd!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2009, 05:41:56 PM »
Ordered the bundle with Neal Morse's new 3-CD Live release. I mean, heck, 6 Discs (5 CDs and 1 DVD) for only $53 after shipping... that's a STEAL.

That, and I got to download "Return Of The Giant Hogweed" as a bonus for pre-ordering the bundle! And it's a really awesome rendition of the Genesis classic!!!

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2009, 08:36:46 PM »
Ordered the bundle with Neal Morse's new 3-CD Live release. I mean, heck, 6 Discs (5 CDs and 1 DVD) for only $53 after shipping... that's a STEAL.

That, and I got to download "Return Of The Giant Hogweed" as a bonus for pre-ordering the bundle! And it's a really awesome rendition of the Genesis classic!!!

-Marc.

Yup, I went for the same deal immediately, only thing that sucks is I was away all night, hope I caught this in time to be in the first 200.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1