Author Topic: Ulver-appreciation thread  (Read 62087 times)

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Ulver-appreciation thread
« Reply #455 on: April 17, 2017, 06:58:50 AM »
A dark 80's synthpop record with Youth on production. Always expect the unexpected with Ulver. Great record.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Art

« Reply #456 on: November 07, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »
New song, from a new EP they've just announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tR3H1BHic

Probably from the Assassination sessions, but amazing stuff, anyway.  :heart

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #457 on: November 07, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »
Sounds fucking great :metal

Offline Art

« Reply #458 on: November 13, 2017, 06:15:51 AM »
They've relesead the EP via Bandcamp:

If you've liked Julius Caesar, go for it. The two new songs are from the same sessions, and the Frankie Goes to Hollywood cover fits right in.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #459 on: November 22, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
This is completely fascinating to me.  I first heard of this band 20 years ago when they had a song on the Firestarter complilation album with a bunch of other black metal bands.  The song was from the album Nattens Madrigal and was rumored to have been recorded in a forest.  It sounded terrible.  Then I really didn't think about this band until I see this thread.  I just listened to one of their latest songs and am shocked out how completely different it is.  Reminds me of when I was getting into Dream Theater and some fans would ask if I was into Opeth.  Opeth was on that same black metal compilation.  Weird to think Dream Theater fans would listen to that and then I come to find out Opeth had completely changed their style too. 

May need to look more into Ulver. 

Offline Art

« Reply #460 on: November 23, 2017, 03:32:13 AM »
This is completely fascinating to me.  I first heard of this band 20 years ago when they had a song on the Firestarter complilation album with a bunch of other black metal bands.  The song was from the album Nattens Madrigal and was rumored to have been recorded in a forest.  It sounded terrible.  Then I really didn't think about this band until I see this thread.  I just listened to one of their latest songs and am shocked out how completely different it is.  Reminds me of when I was getting into Dream Theater and some fans would ask if I was into Opeth.  Opeth was on that same black metal compilation.  Weird to think Dream Theater fans would listen to that and then I come to find out Opeth had completely changed their style too. 

May need to look more into Ulver.

You definitely should. Amazing band.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: November 23, 2017, 08:58:27 AM »
If you like synthpop, go with their last album, The Assassination of Julius Caesar. Try Shadows of the Sun if you're into more laid-back, calmer music.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #462 on: November 23, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »
If you like synthpop, go with their last album, The Assassination of Julius Caesar. Try Shadows of the Sun if you're into more laid-back, calmer music.

I like it all so I'll probably check out both. In fact I'll probably check out their first one too as I like really primitive black metal although the one song I heard didn't do much for me when I first heard it two decades ago.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #463 on: November 23, 2017, 11:31:52 AM »
Perdition City and Themes from William Blake’s The Marriage of Heaven and Hell are the best two :tup

Oh, Messe is awesome as well, as are Blood Inside and Wars of the Roses
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #464 on: November 23, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
Yeah Perdition City is easily their best album as far as I'm concerned. But they have a bunch of other great albums too!

Offline Art

« Reply #465 on: November 23, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »
Shadows is my favorite, but Perdition City, Assassination and Zodiac are almost as good.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #466 on: November 23, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »
I totally forgot that the vocalist of Ulver used to be in a band called Arcturus. I just recently went back and got all of the Arcturus albums. He was only on the first two or three Arcturus albums and now they have a guy called ICS vortex who was in Dimmu Borgir for a while.

Good stuff. Somewhat modern aventgarde. I definitely recommend checking it out

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #467 on: November 23, 2017, 01:44:00 PM »
Good band, yes. Completely different from Ulver though.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #468 on: November 24, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »
Ulver is just great! One of my go-to bands for when I want something dark and weird, in any style. And what an achievement that they always retain that Ulverness, whether they're playing psychedelic pop, black metal or industrial electronic music.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline DTA

« Reply #469 on: November 24, 2017, 02:58:39 PM »
I just listened to Bergtatt for the first time after only hearing Assassination and Shadows of the Sun. I’m a big 90’s black metal fan and I’m surprised I missed this one as it’s really goddamn good. This band definitely understands how to utilize atmosphere to make their music capture a certain mood.

Offline Art

« Reply #470 on: November 25, 2017, 05:03:18 AM »
As for the first records, i love Bergtatt and Kveldssanger. BTW, listening to Shadows of The Sun right now.  :heart

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #471 on: December 03, 2018, 09:49:33 PM »
Finally picked up a bunch of Ulver.  Won 7 albums on an ebay auction and then went and bought the so-called black metal trilogy.  I really dig the first 3 but I have to say The Assassination of Julius Caesar blew me away.  I have listened to that album over and over and over. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: December 04, 2018, 07:07:12 AM »
Finally picked up a bunch of Ulver.  Won 7 albums on an ebay auction and then went and bought the so-called black metal trilogy.  I really dig the first 3 but I have to say The Assassination of Julius Caesar blew me away.  I have listened to that album over and over and over.
Damn good record, still my favorite from last year  :metal

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #473 on: February 14, 2020, 11:32:48 AM »
Ulver just put out a new single "Russian Doll" today. Very reminiscent of The Assassination of Julius Caesar... wonder if this is leading towards a follow-up record?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: February 14, 2020, 04:30:21 PM »
Yup, it's from their upcoming album, which hasn't been announced yet for some reason.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #475 on: February 15, 2020, 03:40:29 PM »
I think “Shadows of the Sun” is one of the best records of all time. “Childhood’s End” is a fascinating album too.

That said, I completely don’t “get” this current new wavy/synth pop/Bryan Ferry circa 1986 (*shudder*) trip they’re currently on. “Assassination of Julius Caesar” did nothing for me. Everyone seems to dig it and I want to like it, but it just doesn’t do anything for me. I actually like synth pop but the last record I couldn’t make sense of. This new single seems to be following the same thread unfortunately.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #476 on: February 15, 2020, 11:25:18 PM »
It would be a first for Ulver to release an album that sounds so similar to one they already made. But at the same time Julius Ceasar seemed to get a lot more attention and praise than usual for them, so I’d understand them wanting to continue down that path. I guess we’ll find out soon how similar the new album really is.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Art

« Reply #477 on: February 18, 2020, 10:23:28 AM »
I love Russian Doll. I got zero problems if they want to continue on the Assasination vibe for tis new record.  :tup

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #478 on: June 03, 2020, 08:55:46 AM »
New album: Flowers Of Evil
August 28th

1. One Last Dance
2. Russian Doll
3. Machine Guns and Peacock Feathers
4. Hour of the Wolf
5. Apocalypse 1993
6. Little Boy
7. Nostalgia
8. A Thousand Cuts

https://store.houseofmythology.com/cart/product.php?id=63740

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #479 on: August 29, 2020, 10:27:13 AM »
Wow...

I generally don’t speak negatively on a band’s (any band’s) latest release, especially since Ulver are definitely one of my favourite groups/bands ever, but this one was so boring in every single way. Huge disappointment.
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #480 on: August 29, 2020, 10:32:35 AM »
My first listen was a bit disappointing as well but I still like Russian Doll, and One Last Dance and A Thousand Cuts sounded pretty promising. Shame the album's so short, I think it definitely could have used a longer song like Coming Home somewhere in there to inject some variety.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: August 29, 2020, 10:48:44 AM »
I'll give it a listen later today once I'm done with roulette stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #482 on: August 29, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »
I'm going to play it on a walk later today. Had no idea a new record came out and it's perfect timing for me to dig into their music.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #483 on: August 29, 2020, 11:50:41 AM »
I'm going to play it on a walk later today. Had no idea a new record came out and it's perfect timing for me to dig into their music.

Make sure you listen to their last one! Same general style as the new one but done better.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: August 29, 2020, 12:58:20 PM »
Yeah The Assassination of Julius Caesar is one of their best albums :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #485 on: August 29, 2020, 01:21:28 PM »
I like the new album a lot, but yeah it's like a slightly less exciting version of the previous album. Still great though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #486 on: September 01, 2020, 01:41:08 PM »
The new record is fantastic. Played it several times yesterday and it's just full of cool jams. I dig it a lot.

So, I've decided to go through Ulver's discography - or, at least, what is available from it on Spotify. The first and third albums are unlistenable noise. Awful. No, thanks. Kveldssanger however is beautiful. Lovely stuff. The next studio record, Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, is not available. So, I'm currently listening to Perdition City instead. This sounds more like the Ulver I've heard in my roulettes but it still has its own unique flavor (The Future Sound of Music is a super cool piece of art).

What Spotify has next for me, in order: Ulver 1993-2003, which is a remix album. Not sure I'm interested in this. Svidd Neger, which is a soundtrack album. Not sure if that's worth checking out, or any of the soundtrack albums, haven't made up my mind if I'm going to listen to them right away, or at all. Teachings In Silence is the next one, which is apparently a compilation but looks like two EPs smashed together.

This band's discography is confusing me so I'm just calling it a day with Perdition City.  :lol EDIT: okay maybe I should just listen to the film scores anyway since their sound is cinematic as heck already, who am I kidding
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »
I'd just follow Rateyourmusic, after Perdition city it goes: Blood Inside -> Shadows of the Sun -> War of the Roses -> Messe -> The Assassination of Julius Caesar -> Flowers of Evil. I skipped Childhood's End as it's a bunch of 60s psychedelia covers, and Terrestrials is a colab with Sunnn O))). And yeah, Teaching in Silence is a compilation of two very cool and experimental EPs. You've also got the Metamorphosis and A Quick Fix for Melancholy EPs if you want to delve deeper.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #488 on: September 01, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »
after Perdition city it goes: Blood Inside -> Shadows of the Sun -> War of the Roses -> Messe -> The Assassination of Julius Caesar -> Flowers of Evil. I skipped Childhood's End as it's a bunch of 60s psychedelia covers, and Terrestrials is a colab with Sunnn O))).

Yup, this is the progression I'd follow as well (and might as well go back to The Marriage of Heaven and Hell at some point too). Any other albums, soundtracks or EPs are more bonus stuff you can check out after all the "main" albums if you feel up to it. Though one EP I definitely would recommend is the Sic Transit Gloria Mundi EP, which has a couple great B-sides from the Julius Ceasar album. :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #489 on: September 01, 2020, 03:41:09 PM »
The Marriage of Heaven and Hell is my second favourite Ulver album. Perdition City is first place. Love that one.

Bergtatt is awesome and definitely not ‘unlistenable’. Nattens Madrigal is, but I find it quite cool, because it’s so over the top.

Blood Inside (weird prog-ish) and Wars of the Roses (strange artrock) are great too, as is Messe (modern classical-ish). And Shadows of the Sun (ambient / down-tempo).

I find Childhood’s End strange. All of the soundtracks are alright I guess, but out of context they’re a bit weird.

Definitely listen to The Norwegian National Opera as well, their live album.

ATGCLVLSSCAP is relaxing in a different way than Shadow of the Sun. Drone Activity is great background noise.

Have fun :)
Squ