Author Topic: Ulver-appreciation thread  (Read 62976 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Ulver-appreciation thread
« Reply #280 on: April 28, 2011, 01:11:39 PM »
I like bands that make spaghetti, personally.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #281 on: April 28, 2011, 01:12:18 PM »

:tup
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #282 on: April 28, 2011, 04:59:12 PM »
If we're talking pretentiousness I'd say that (almost) all music was art in some way. All 'serious' music at least, if you know what I mean.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #283 on: April 28, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »
All 'serious' music at least, if you know what I mean.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2011, 04:48:20 AM »
Since some has already done this, my view on the new album (song by song and then overall):

February MMX
My first impression was that this sounded very Blood Inside-ish, slightly more uptempo then we normally hear Ulver.
I think the whole sound of this song is very interesting, because the drums makes it uptempo, but instead of guitars they focus on piano and weird sounds, it just sounds very interesting.
This song got stuck pretty much right away, Garm has some sweet vocals during the chorus, and as Portrucci mentioned, I also dig the breakdown and then the part after when the song kinda starts to build up again.
Great song overall.

Norwegian Gothic
Strong Shadows of the Sun-vibe on this one, a pretty calm ambient-track focusing on Garm's vocals and some weird noise.
Kinda subtle song that really grows for each listen, the violin is pretty neat too.
Not really sure what else to write about it, I guess that sums it up. :P

Providence
An early favorite, this song has several elements that are all reasons why I love this band.
The piano-pattern throughout the song is just lovely, the dual-singing between Garm and the chick (no idea who she is) works pretty good, I'm not really sure what I think about her voice standalone, but in this song it adds variety and makes it more interesting.
The middle of this section is just Ulver at their best when doing weird sound effects, and a lot of the sounds remind me of a jungle for some reason.
Very cool song overall.

September IV
More piano, another great song.
Garm delivers some more superb singing, and this song was another instant favorite, it just seemed to click very early.
The ending of the song is pretty sweet as well.

England
Another early favorite, a song that seemed to click right away.
Again, more great singing from Garm, and some fantastic music.

Island
Love this one, and the journey it takes.
Starts off as a somewhat calm song, about halfway in we get some really cool sea-sound effects, seagull's and such, creating a wonderful atmosphere.
Hearing the waves and such just suits perfectly with the title, and I love it.
Then the song get's really weird, and the ending is probably my favorite part of the whole song, so dark and noisy, so perfect.

Stone Angels
One of the most epic songs I've heard, this one reminded me a lot of No-Man/Bass Communion, at least music-wise.
It's so unique, not only on this album, but in the Ulver-catalog overall.
I'm a huge sucker for beautiful ambient music, and that combined with a great poem read by Daniel just makes it even more superb.
I can see this becoming a bit of a 'love it or hate it'-song, because some people would say that it drags or that its boring, but they couldn't be more wrong.
To me, this song is perfect just as it is.

Overall thoughts:
Fantastic album overall.
The length is just right, it doesn't feel neither too long or short, it has a great variety soundwise with a song like February MMX being more uptempo, and having more downtempo and calm songs like Norwegian Gothic, while still maintaining a certain red thread throughout the album.
It definitely sounds like Ulver, with a few songs clinging strongly of the past (Blood Inside and Shadows of the Sun), but still having many new elements, and a song like Stone Angels which is like nothing they've ever done before.
To keep it short, I love this album.  :heart

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #285 on: April 30, 2011, 12:57:10 PM »
Just listened to WOTR. It's good, fine, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as you guys seem to. Not in my top 5 of 2011 so far, at least.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2011, 01:04:16 PM »
Are you basing that opinion on 1 listen?
Personally I need to give an album at least 5 spins before I can give it an honest opinion.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »
Often there will be something I kind of like on first listen, and I always accept the need for it to grow on me to get even better. With WOTR, it's the first time that I've felt like even though it will grow on me with more listens, I'm not really gonna enjoy it much no matter how many spins it gets. Never really had this before, kind of disappointed with the album frankly.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #288 on: April 30, 2011, 01:14:03 PM »
That's kinda lame, I didn't think much of it first, but all the songs really grows on you.
It's Ulver after all, you really should spin it more times and let it sink in.

I'm glad that I never gave up on certain artists, my first listen of In Rainbows (and Radiohead in general) made me think: "why are these guys even famous? this shit doesn't have any quality" (well maybe not that harsh, but something like that)
Anyhow, when I forced myself to listen to it over and over, eventually I thought: "Boy was I wrong."
So yeah, point of the story: listening to something that might not be good at first will eventually lead to something.  ;)

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »
Yeah, I'm definitely aware of that; about 9 out of my top 10 albums ever didn't do much for me at all on first listen, and I was the same with Radiohead. But the difference between those situations and this one was; I just didn't feel like WOTR needed to grow on me. It's just kind of... what I expected, and that's fine. I will give it a few more listens and let it grow on me a bit, but I know it won't develop into something I really love, which I thought with Radiohead and even Tool.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #290 on: April 30, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »
Yeah, I'm definitely aware of that; about 9 out of my top 10 albums ever didn't do much for me at all on first listen, and I was the same with Radiohead. But the difference between those situations and this one was; I just didn't feel like WOTR needed to grow on me. It's just kind of... what I expected, and that's fine. I will give it a few more listens and let it grow on me a bit, but I know it won't develop into something I really love, which I thought with Radiohead and even Tool.
To me it sounds like you've already made up your mind, and no matter what, that's that.  :P
I kinda know how you feel, I had a similar experience with The King of Limbs which I had skyhigh expectations for, but now I just feel kinda 'meh' about it.
Hopefully Wars of the Roses will grow on you though, personally I love it.  :)

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #291 on: April 30, 2011, 01:31:28 PM »
I'm hoping it will, but as I say, this is the first time when I've just 'known' that this is basically it in terms of me enjoying it.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #292 on: April 30, 2011, 03:47:21 PM »
listen more
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #293 on: April 30, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
But Laura Stevenson and the Cans.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #294 on: April 30, 2011, 04:12:58 PM »
But Laura Stevenson and the Cans.

Oh shit I didn't know anyone else on here listened to her. 

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #295 on: May 13, 2011, 03:23:24 PM »
I got WOTR as a birthday gift today. :laugh:
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Iarwain

« Reply #296 on: May 13, 2011, 05:44:08 PM »
And I'm not too familiar with Metamorphosis. I've only listened to it a couple of times, although I still like it.
i love that EP. actually, unless i specifically want songs on Perdition City, i usually 'preface' my listening of that album with Metamorphosis.

also, if you want a 'complete PC sessions' kind of thing, you could just do a massive Metamorphosis - PC - Silencing the Singing spree. (i'd throw in Silence Teaches You How to Sing too, but it's not a leftover.)

So I tried this a few days ago and it's a very nice experience to listen to the three releases together. I felt like Metamorphosis and Perdition City have a similar atmosphere and it's probably why I rarely listen to the EP. If I'm in the mood for that kind of music I'd rather play Perdition City (longer and better IMO).

I do have to say that I can't believe I overlooked Of Wolves & Vibrancy for so long. Easily one of the best songs Ulver's ever done.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: May 13, 2011, 06:56:22 PM »
in a way, the atmosphere and nebulousness of Silencing the Singing works well as a post-Perdition City comedown. there's a certain amount of paranoia and tension that builds up to "Nowhere/Catastrophe," which itself isn't the most satisfactory ending for the kind of album PC is (a bit like ending Wars of the Roses with "February MMX").

i think the first three tracks on Metamorphosis are of the best Ulver tracks, really. you can't beat the atmosphere + sheer beauty of "Gnosis," and "Limbo Central" would fit right into the first half of PC if you placed it well (making "Theme From Perdition City" a worthy subtitle!). "Of Wolves & Vibrance" is definitely cool, although the straightforward wop-wop-pre-dubstep sound is a bit far away from PC.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: May 13, 2011, 10:47:13 PM »
I played Perdition City for my dad and his girlfriend tonight. They really dug it. They kept remarking about how it really suited nighttime, and my dad mentioned that it sounds like music that would accompany a film.  :hat

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: May 21, 2011, 06:20:29 PM »
footage from the upcoming DVD: https://imjat.tumblr.com/post/3123222588

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #300 on: May 21, 2011, 06:29:17 PM »
I'm really, really happy that they're finally doing a dvd.  The live aspect of Ulver is something I've never experienced further than a shitty bootleg.  This should be awesome!

Edit:  What the hell was the thing with the naked old guy on stage? 

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: May 21, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »
he's on stage during a song, though i don't recall which. oddly fitting imagery though, don't you think?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #302 on: May 22, 2011, 03:26:24 PM »
Looks awesome!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #303 on: June 07, 2011, 03:25:46 PM »
The production/direction on WotR is beyond words. :tup

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:46 PM »
I really love the new album. It's growing on me although I already love it. This band is so consistent it's not even funny.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #305 on: August 02, 2011, 06:13:48 PM »
I really love the new album. It's growing on me although I already love it. This band is so consistent it's not even funny.

Nattens Madrigal.

Nah but I get what you mean.  :biggrin:

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: August 02, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »
I mean the last few in the current Ulver era have all been masterpieces.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #307 on: August 16, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »
I'm on my first listen of Ulver now... listening to their newest record. It's not really grabbing me at all, but I'll definitely give it time to grow. Are there other albums better, in your opinions?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #308 on: August 16, 2011, 04:34:36 PM »
Yes. I think Blood Inside is their best, but a lot of people prefer Perdition City. Shadows of the Sun is a great album too...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: August 16, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
I'm on my first listen of Ulver now... listening to their newest record. It's not really grabbing me at all, but I'll definitely give it time to grow. Are there other albums better, in your opinions?

Perdition City, Blood Inside and Shadows of the Sun are normally considered their 'holy trio', and I would probably rank them in that order.
However, I do think Wars of the Roses was a brilliant album, gotta spin it soon again, been a while since I last heard it. :)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #310 on: August 16, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »

Shadows of the Sun is my favorite, with Blood Inside next.  War of the Roses would probably come in around 4th or 5th. 

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #311 on: August 16, 2011, 04:39:31 PM »
Definitely Perdition City.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #312 on: August 16, 2011, 04:40:08 PM »
Is this album a grower? It feels like there is something there, but I just can't really reach it. Like, I appreciate the art of the music, but I'm not really pulled in at all.  :-\

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: August 16, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »
Is this album a grower? It feels like there is something there, but I just can't really reach it. Like, I appreciate the art of the music, but I'm not really pulled in at all.  :-\

I would definitely say that it is a grower.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #314 on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »

I would definitely say that it is a grower.

This. I loved it right away though. Maybe it's because I was already familiar with the band.