Author Topic: Ulver-appreciation thread  (Read 62788 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Ulver-appreciation thread
« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2011, 04:38:12 PM »
Well, that surely was interesting. Actually, the shortness of the set wasn't really an issue, but unfortunately, the sound was abysmal. Still, it was a nice experience. Hallways Of Always was awesome.
That's a shame, must be heavily on the venue because the sound was pretty good for us.

Glad you liked it though, new album is great isn't it?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #211 on: April 01, 2011, 04:44:36 PM »
From what I could tell, it must be pretty amazing. I'll order WOTR from Amazon since it's only € 16. Until then, I guess I'll wait.
My favourites were February MMX, the piano-laden piece and the ambient piece with the yellow-ish video footage on the screen (I don't know how they're called).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #212 on: April 01, 2011, 04:47:01 PM »
Yeah I'm waiting to get the CD so I've only experienced it live as well. February MMX was great, but my favourite one was the song that started as a soft piano-led song, and then went into a pretty epic instrumental section with an amazing melodic clarinet solo. Might be the piano-laden one you were referring to possibly. Absolutely loved it anyway!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2011, 04:02:58 AM »
Having the full-quality version of the album already I can testify that this sounds absolutely goregous.
The whole thing is just brilliant. Definitely my favourite Ulver album already and certainly a likely AOTY.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2011, 01:05:16 AM »
War of The Roses (vinyl) just arrived for me today!  :D Can't wait to hear this record on my hi-fi.

pics for anyone who wants to see;
https://i.imgur.com/z80c9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7xXE7.jpg  :)
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2011, 01:10:56 AM »
Looks awesome! ^

Every time I've tried ordering the album, there's some weird glitch. Like, it just goes back to the original page and asks me if I'd like to get email updates, and this is just after typing in my address. No credit card info or anything like that.

Unless I'm just fucking retarded and don't understand anything I'm doing :neverusethis:

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2011, 01:15:32 AM »
Wow, the sleeve art is even better too! plus there is a mini-book 'Stone Angels' by Keith Waldrop included.

and Raven, I just bought it from here https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/2758/ worked fine for me. I can't believe it arrived so fast, considered it's mailed from the other-side of the world. props to Burningshed for that  :tup
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2011, 01:21:04 AM »
Wow, the sleeve art is even better too! plus there is a mini-book 'Stone Angels' by Keith Waldrop included.

and Raven, I just bought it from here https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/2758/ worked fine for me. I can't believe it arrived so fast, considered it's mailed from the other-side of the world. props to Burningshed for that  :tup
WOW... Okay, now I see what I was doing wrong :lolpalm:

Thanks  :tup

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2011, 05:07:59 AM »
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2011, 11:28:25 PM »
My CD shipped a few days ago.

I'll prolly be waiting for at least a week I bet.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2011, 01:29:42 AM »
I haven't ordered the album yet, but I will soon.
Will most likely pick up the limited edition.  :tup

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2011, 08:57:09 AM »
^ i don't think you have a choice BUT to buy the limited edition!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2011, 10:46:42 AM »
Speaking of which, I just pre-ordered the limited edition.  :tup

Kosmo

« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2011, 11:00:11 AM »
Themes From William Blake is such a good album, been spinning it a lot lately.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: April 15, 2011, 11:27:44 AM »
^ me too! i distilled out a couple of intros/etc. i'm not so into so it becomes about an hour long (heresy, yes), and it's an extremely addictive listen now.

if anyone wants to purchase Lyckantropen Themes or Perdition City on vinyl, you can get them at decent prices now via seller neuroparecords on Discogs — they update every couple of hours with more stock for each, and a sealed copy runs €20. (they're located in Belgium, so if you're ordering from the US/Canada, shipping is a bit chunky - my order for both albums with shipping was €63,50.)

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2011, 04:49:26 AM »
Not much discussion of the new album going on  :sad: I may as well start  :P

tl;dr version: Lovely....8.5/10 if I had to give a score

song by song thoughts from first listen; (just random comments......dont hate)

Feburary MMX:
A more conventional Ulver song structure-wise. Reminds me of Nowhere/Catastrophe. Really nice piano and bass throughout. Garm is on top form here...especially approaching the glitchy/noisy climaxes. Another highlight is the little breakdown at 2:57 then back to building the tension. Epic vocal lines delivered throughout....."Birds in black and whiite, and the drums of waaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooorld warrrrr twoo"  :hefdaddy

Norweigan Gothic:
Definite Shadows of The Sun vibe here....the violin is especially. Really nice ambient electronic sounds behind it all. Soft jazzy drums come in half-way through to give more meat to the song....Garm continues his restrained melancholic vocals. song fades out with some cool looped bird sound.

Providence:
Beautiful piano intro and middle section. harmonized garm + guest female vox = sweeeeeet. violin still ever present. about halfway though things start getting creepy. drums come in to some agalloch-ish electric guitar. clarinet over the top is very cool. more electronic sounds start kicking in. this section definitely stood out to me first listen.
song goes back to piano and female vox, then progresses all the way into dark ambient.

September IV:
Another great opening....more piano again...Daniel really get used a lot on this album which I heartily approve of. 1st half quite conventional....Garm + piano & drums. At about 2:10 onwards electric guitar and keyboard take over, seguing into some upbeat drumming. excellent avant-garde type section with the weird sounds overlayed. another favourite section.

England:
vocal opening with piano. drums come in, seems like a slowish song. electric bass underneath is pants. piano continues wandering throughout. this is a real Garm-vocal orientated song, like February, but much slower. "A Blood Red Coooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Whittte to the boooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnne"  :heart

Island:
Interesting opening....percussion is unexpected, but works really well as the rhythm. Garms voice too is spot on again....random sea-side samples half-way though fit with the song name....acoustic guitar is lovely also. Quite a simple song...could have been shorter for what it is really, but it's still ear-pleasing; Garms harmonies especially. At around 3:40, song turns and becomes darker/less coherent. Very cool change.....the rest of the song continues in this eerie ambient/electronic vein. quite different from the relatively happy way the song starts.

Stone Angels:
Organs aptly open the song (and stay present thereafter). A general air of dissonance/sadness created by fade in and outs of many different instruments. Continues quite a while like this with (someone?) reading the the poem Stone Angels by Keith Waldrop over the top. Organs provide the basis, and every other role is just free to appear and experiment whenever. Just a simple, but really neat idea.  Very evocative for your imagination....reminds me a lot of Leb'Wohl by Neu!, though no-one will know what I'm talking about. The little cameos of clarinet are quite powerful. Generally this is a spacey epic which you can close your eyes to and drift into another world. There is certainly no bombast or dramatic climaxes, but that's fine with me...what it does...it does superbly

End thoughts:
Wow, really loved this. More than I thought I would. It definitely adds up to more than the sum of it's part. No-one of the songs are boring at all. Some are quite incidental or easy-listening, but it works in the context of the album. This album is not like Perdition City or Blood Inside....and it's still quite different than Shadows of The Sun (though it would be the most similar to WoTR on average). Like every Ulver album ever, it's different and powerful in its own way. The standout though really is Garm. He is on absolute top form, the best he's ever been in. His clean vocals add so much emotion and their very unique tone has lost none of it's....errr....uniqueness. Overall this is a mature and beautiful record, my favourite of this year so far  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:55:38 AM by Portrucci »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2011, 04:53:16 AM »
I haven't discussed it yet because my copy will arrive sometime next week, and is released on the 25th here. :P

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #227 on: April 19, 2011, 05:02:01 AM »
Wow, I forgot the official release date is still in around a week....not sure why the sent me the album much earlier than that....believe me, living where I am I'm used to getting things MUCH later than when the official come out in Europe/USA.  :lol anywho, this album doesn't disappoint (for me at least).  :smiley:

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: April 19, 2011, 05:23:28 AM »
that's actually Mr. O'Sullivan's voice speaking the poem in "Stone Angels."

overall i'd place this album alongside Blood Inside, underneath Perdition City and Themes From Blake on my list of favourites. "February MMX," "September IV" and "England" are simply incredible songs, with "Providence" and "Stone Angels" not far behind. they've gotten very good at evocative piano music, that's for sure.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: April 19, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »
I just got my copy at the mail today!! :metal

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »
Listening through now in good quality for the first time.   

Expecting greatness. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2011, 06:15:26 PM »
February

Awesome opening.  It's not too common of recent Ulver to have this sort of fairly quick paced drive to their music, but it works so well.  Kind of sounds like they took a track from Shadows of the Sun and put a driving drum beat/bassline to it.  You notice right away how amazing Garm is, and he stays that way throughout the rest of the record.  The more intense sections are awesome.  The song is fairly conventional by Ulver's standards but it works very well. 

Norweigan Gothic

This one could have easily fit on Shadows of the Sun.  It has the same lonely, deserted vibe to it, with sparse strings sounding isolated and confused.  The drums kicking in gives it a very different feel... the melody gets a bit stranger and the strings and other various real/electronic sounds begin to meander.  It's a really nice effect. 

Providence

Lovely.  The intro is a fairly conventional ballad sound.  The main piano motif is lovely, as one would expect of Ulver, and it adds a very beautiful, classical vibe.  The vocals are soulful.  Garm sounds amazing on this album, and the female who accompanies him is likewise amazing.  The song takes quite a few turns.  After sprawling through darkness, a sudden and unexpected, almost tribal rhythm kicks in among atmospheric guitars.  It's amazing.  The song ends at a dark ambient vibe.   One of the best on the album. 

September IV

Another very nice song that starts off fairly typical.  After an expected and welcomed lovely intro of organ and strings, it goes into a nice ballad groove.  More lovely vocals from Garm.  The song progresses along quite nicely.  After taking a nice, ambient break, one of the most intense sections of the album comes in, with the drums really picking up the pace and lots of experimental goodness. 

England

Beautiful intro with Garm's vocals.  They sound as tortured and lonely as ever.  The piano line is also lovely, and I'd like to say that Daniel does a fantastic job on this album.  This has some of Garm's best vocals ever, in particular.  One of the more straightforward songs on the album, but beautiful nonetheless. 

Island

A strange intro develops into a very nice sounding song.  The little island music-ish elements (I'll call them that, at least) are very nice, subtle additions along the typical Ulver ambiance.  It is very pleasant, and returns to the strangeness from whence it came. 

Stonehenge

Very, very, very beautiful.  Perfect song for sort of drifting away from the physical world or some shit like that.  The organ is beautiful, and there are more lovely elements which I cannot name after one listen.  There are some experimental elements thrown in, which keep it interesting without breaking the listener's interest.  I could go on and on about this track, it is amazing.  While spoken word can sometimes ruin a song, it only adds to the beauty of it all.  I'm glad there was no intense climax, it really allows you to breath in the song and detach yourself from time and space and shit.  There are so many lovely subtleties in this song it is almost unfair to subtlety in general.  I love this sooo much. 

So this is what I gathered after one listen.  I'm going to wait on giving a real ranking, but I having a feeling this will at least rank among my favorites if not become my favorite.  At least, I think I enjoyed this more on first listen than I have any other Ulver album.

Favorites:
Stone Angels
Providence
February MMX

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: April 19, 2011, 06:19:57 PM »
Stonehenge is cool. I heard they don't know how it was built and shit.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #233 on: April 19, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »
Stonehenge is cool. I heard they don't know how it was built and shit.

Yeah, I knew very little about it too until Troll 2 enlightened me. 

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2011, 06:39:45 AM »
My review of the album will be up on Tuesday I reckon, unless there's an Easter pile-up of articles. I'll post a link here when it's up. Don't panic, it's not harsh like my Blackfield review.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2011, 03:21:25 PM »
This album is a piece of art... and it is SO good! :tup

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2011, 03:21:55 PM »
This album is a piece of art.

It's Ulver.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
I know. They didn't dissapoint.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2011, 04:14:30 PM »
I know. They didn't dissapoint.

It's Ulver.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2011, 01:17:34 AM »
The new album is art.

What's everyone think of Daniel O'Sullivan? He seems to be a very core part of this album's sound.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:34:09 AM by The Degenerate »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: April 26, 2011, 04:09:03 AM »
Just listened to the new album for the first time...
 :hefdaddy ...
that is all.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #241 on: April 26, 2011, 04:30:31 AM »
This... just gets better with every listen. The only one I'm not completely sold on is Norwegian Gothic.

... I would try and rank the Ulver albums, but they're all so extremely different yet almost as closely amazing that it'd be an impossible waste of time. I think. Maybe. Others should try.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: April 26, 2011, 04:41:43 AM »
I agree that ranking Ulver is pretty much impossible, even though I really love most of their albums, it gets hard when the genres are so different on each. :P
However, I'd rank the 'classic'-trio like this:
1. Perdition City
2. Shadows of the Sun
3. Blood Inside
The rest are really great as well, but I haven't listened to them as much as these 3, so I'll have to come back with an update later on.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #243 on: April 26, 2011, 05:13:56 AM »
1. Blood Inside
2. Perdition City
3. Svidd Neger
4. Shadows of The Sun
5. Themes From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell
6. Wars of The Roses
7. A Quick Fix of Melancholy
8. Metamorphosis
9. Bergtatt
10. Nattens Madrigal
11. Lyckantropen Themes
12. Silence Teaches You How to Sing
13. Silencing the Singing
14. Kveldssanger

and I really like Kveldssanger  :lol  I might be somewhat alone in the Svidd Neger love though. Discography is strong as hell bro  :millahhhh

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: April 26, 2011, 05:19:12 AM »
Svidd Neger is pretty great, though I probably wouldn't rank it AS high. :P