Author Topic: Moon Safari  (Read 45214 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Moon Safari
« Reply #280 on: November 09, 2023, 08:27:44 AM »
Cocopjojo is interviewing the band on Nov 14 3pm est.

If you guys have questions for Johan/the band. Please post those here.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #281 on: November 09, 2023, 11:40:35 AM »
Also, in preparation for the interview I was wondering if anyone here owned physical copies of any albums and wouldn't mind posting the liner notes of songwriting credits? I'd really appreciate it.

I own all of their stuff, but it's all digital - except for my Japanese editions with the bonus material. :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 12:11:41 PM by Cocopjojo »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #282 on: November 09, 2023, 01:09:22 PM »
Also, in preparation for the interview I was wondering if anyone here owned physical copies of any albums and wouldn't mind posting the liner notes of songwriting credits? I'd really appreciate it.

I own all of their stuff, but it's all digital - except for my Japanese editions with the bonus material. :)
https://moonsafari.bandcamp.com/
You have to click on each individual song to see the writing credits but they're all there.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online The Letter M

« Reply #283 on: November 09, 2023, 01:09:31 PM »

You could check their discogs listings. Most of the time, they'll have album credits listed.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2023, 01:11:53 PM »
Awesome, it’s super hidden on the mobile site so I didn’t notice earlier. Thank you!

EDIT: Actually, I've been using Bandcamp for years, and I never even knew you could click individual tracks... :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 01:41:00 PM by Cocopjojo »

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #285 on: November 14, 2023, 04:56:15 PM »
I did the interview today that MinistroRaven set up with Johan - the bassist and one of the vocalists and songwriters for the band. I found it incredibly interesting talking with him. We talked about the way the new album came together, why it took so long, and how they got hooked up with Rich Mouser - amongst many other things! I also got some really interesting tidbits about some of their older albums, e.g. what the Himlabacken Vol. 1 song "Diamonds" is actually about (it's not about diamonds). We also discussed potential plans around live shows in support of the new album. But you will have to watch to find out. :D I think the video is planned to release later this month when the album is almost out.

Offline HOF

« Reply #286 on: November 14, 2023, 05:00:26 PM »
Nice. Look forward to seeing this. I know relatively little about the band or the stories behind their music since I got into them in the interim since their last album. There’s really not a ton out there about them that I’ve seen.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #287 on: November 24, 2023, 10:04:48 AM »
https://youtu.be/zRxq9A5mAiY?si=zV2YdsHYNxnFGAiJ

"Emma, Come On" has dropped today. One listen and it sounds like classic Moon Safari! Not a had little tune!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: November 27, 2023, 07:26:48 AM »
I did the interview today that MinistroRaven set up with Johan - the bassist and one of the vocalists and songwriters for the band. I found it incredibly interesting talking with him. We talked about the way the new album came together, why it took so long, and how they got hooked up with Rich Mouser - amongst many other things! I also got some really interesting tidbits about some of their older albums, e.g. what the Himlabacken Vol. 1 song "Diamonds" is actually about (it's not about diamonds). We also discussed potential plans around live shows in support of the new album. But you will have to watch to find out. :D I think the video is planned to release later this month when the album is almost out.

Here's your review of the album:
https://lotsofmuzik.com/moon-safari-himlabacken-vol-2-album-review-by-jacob-b/
The interview will be published tomorrow.

Thanks again for the support.  :metal

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: November 28, 2023, 06:02:42 AM »

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #290 on: November 28, 2023, 10:52:55 AM »
Nice! I hope folks enjoy it. As someone mentioned earlier, it seems like there are very few of these kinds of interviews out there with the band, so hopefully this is interesting for those who are familiar with the band. I certainly learned a lot talking with Johan.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: November 30, 2023, 01:08:06 PM »
Nice! I hope folks enjoy it. As someone mentioned earlier, it seems like there are very few of these kinds of interviews out there with the band, so hopefully this is interesting for those who are familiar with the band. I certainly learned a lot talking with Johan.

Shoutout from the band to your review and interview

:metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #292 on: November 30, 2023, 01:42:39 PM »
does moon safari ever tour the US? i'd love to catch them someday

I saw them at Rosfest in 2017.  They've been to America only a few times.
Hey, I think I saw you there.

YOU WERE THERE TOO!?!?!?

Bro, you're not going to believe this...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #293 on: November 30, 2023, 01:47:42 PM »

YOU WERE THERE TOO!?!?!?

I can't remember that far back. Sorry, whoever you guys are.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #294 on: November 30, 2023, 06:57:10 PM »

YOU WERE THERE TOO!?!?!?

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online The Letter M

« Reply #295 on: December 07, 2023, 09:30:12 AM »
https://moonsafari.bandcamp.com/album/himlabacken-vol-2-24-bit-audio?fbclid=IwAR2LgzU5mashZ3BxnoW2OghtBtoC6t7jv3PgurNRCY9wb1FoLIGq7MD5dcQ

The new album is now available on bandcamp! My CD should be arriving today from Band Wagon USA as well, but I'm streaming the album as I get ready for work.

-Marc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2023, 02:33:06 AM »
Just one listen so far but I loved it. New Moon Safari album at last!

The album starts pretty well and just gets better as it goes. The run of Beyond the Blue - Blood Moon - Teen Angel especially is amazing based on that first listen.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2023, 05:18:42 AM »
I'm liking what I'm hearing so far, and this will be an insta-purchase.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2023, 05:49:05 AM »
Just recieved my CD......eager to listen

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2023, 05:56:16 AM »
Listened this morning on Spotify, but got my shipping notification from Burning Shed this morning. Album is absolutely excellent! This past week in the buildup I've been exploring their other albums and I've loved all of them! Mega Moon from Himlabacken 1 is my new obsession track. It's absolutely stunning! I was considering getting Blomljud next but I think I might have to go for Himlabacken 1 instead.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #300 on: December 08, 2023, 07:18:21 AM »
just put it on, here we go!! :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #301 on: December 08, 2023, 08:05:09 AM »
I'm very curious what y'all will think of Teen Angel Meets the Apocalypse, and Forever, For You. The whole album is good, but I've found myself spinning those tracks the most I think.

Offline HOF

« Reply #302 on: December 08, 2023, 08:05:58 AM »
Should get my copy today.

« Reply #303 on: December 08, 2023, 08:23:10 AM »
Really dug the album on first spin. I think my first impression is that it's better than Himlabacker Vol 1, but not as good as their earlier stuff. Incredibly solid prog release for 2023 though!! Probably my favorite prog rock album
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #304 on: December 08, 2023, 09:15:27 AM »
Just finished my first listen. What a fantastic album!

I'm very curious what y'all will think of Teen Angel Meets the Apocalypse, and Forever, For You.
I liked both very much, and Teen Angel is one of my favorite new songs I've heard in a long time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #305 on: December 08, 2023, 07:31:16 PM »
Album sounds amazing. Still wrapping my head around it, but everything sounds good so far.

Offline DTA

« Reply #306 on: December 09, 2023, 07:36:37 AM »
These guys are amazing and I love this album so far. They don’t sound all that similar, but I get huge 90’s Flower King vibes from them. Just upbeat, positive sounding music with really beautiful melodies.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 07:44:35 AM by DTA »

« Reply #307 on: December 09, 2023, 07:44:01 AM »
i would compare them most to TFK too, tho i agree they don't particularly sound like 'em. I would imagine liking one means you'd probably like the other
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #308 on: December 09, 2023, 07:49:02 AM »
These guys are amazing and I love this album so far. They don’t sound all that similar, but I get huge 90’s Flower King vibes from them. Just upbeat, positive sounding music with really beautiful melodies.

If you didn’t know, Tomas Bodin from TFK was integral in the early stages of Moon Safari. When I talked with Johan of Moon Safari he implied that if someone else had helped them out rather than Tomas, then they may have taken a different path and, presumably (if I’m following what he was saying), they may have evolved their sound in different ways.

So the TFK similarities here aren’t just coincidence. There is a connection.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #309 on: December 11, 2023, 07:27:38 PM »
Dang, they really went for it with this album. Well worth the ten year wait! Went into it without reading any reviews, interviews, or listening to singles. So if some of this has been addressed before I'll have to check that out.

My first impression is that it feels like two different albums. The 80s vibes on the first half of the album took me by surprise. The big synthesizers, distorted guitar riffs, and the more gritty vocal stylings were all new for them. Then the run from Teen Angel Meets the Apocalypse to the end felt more like the Himlabacken stuff. Forever For You had a bunch of callbacks, mainly to Red White Blues and Kids. Teen Angel had a lot going on musically and lyrically, will need to come back to that one. Those two songs were also the only two songs that featured Petter on lead vocals (other than split leads on Emma, Come On). I wonder if the whole Himlabacken concept was more his thing as I didn't really hear much connection in the other songs (other than Heaven Hill and Epilog of course). I also wonder if these two songs originated closer to the original Himlabacken and other material was written later. I know some of the stuff was being played live for years, like Emma Come On, but I felt two pretty distinct styles: the more guitar riff driven and gritty 80s sounds vs the more "classic" Moon Safari with 12 string guitars and sugary vocal harmonies.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2024, 02:55:12 AM »
Ah. Couldn't remember if there was a Moon Safari thread already but here it is!

I've gotten into the band in a huge way since December when Himlabacken Vol. 2 was released. I've since picked up Lover's End, and this morning Himlabacken Vol. 1 fell onto my doormat. Two of their songs stand out above the rest for me so far, A Kid Called Panic and Mega Moon. I plan to pick up Blomljud soon as well.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2024, 12:43:47 PM »
That "soon" is today. Listening to the full Blomljud now. It's a lot to take in, 103 minutes of music.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2024, 01:22:43 PM »
Himlabacken Vol. 2 is the kind of album I wish TFK was still making. There's a lot of moments on it that remind me of earlier and middle-era TFK that I miss, but with Moon Safari's own touches, particularly the 6-part vocal harmonies.

Lover's End (and the 24-minute epic follow-up EP of "Lover's End Pt. 3") form probably my favorite body of work from the band, but Himlabacken Vol. 2 is creeping up behind it quickly every time I go back to listen to it. I hope you enjoy this journey of discovery, RoeDent! They're a fantastic band and getting to know them now is a good time since they hadn't released any new studio albums in over 10 years! I hope they're able to maintain the momentum and continue to put out new music a bit more often now!

-Marc.