Author Topic: The Non-Lonely Hearts Club  (Read 146106 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Non-Lonely Hearts Club
« Reply #875 on: September 26, 2011, 09:57:44 PM »
I understand how this all seems, but trust me when I say it's insane how natural this all feels and how well it's all gone down. And I have no reason to think it'll stop any time soon. Thursday and Saturday shall be most excellent. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #876 on: September 26, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
Hey man as long as you're happy! How old is she?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #877 on: September 26, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »
She is 27.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #878 on: September 26, 2011, 10:12:40 PM »
How old are you Nick?

I hope he's 25, I always love calling women marginally older than their partners cougars.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #879 on: September 26, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »
I am 25. :lol

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #880 on: September 26, 2011, 10:22:26 PM »
:rollin :rollin
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #881 on: September 27, 2011, 12:17:31 AM »
Fuckin' cougar.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #882 on: September 27, 2011, 12:29:49 AM »
2 years age difference?

Fuck that I regularily fantasize bout being with someone at least 4-5 years older

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: September 27, 2011, 05:44:32 AM »
So his birthday is in October.

I wanted to get him a Nintendo 3D, but he wants Mario Kart 3D, which doesn't come out until after his birthday. My Mom said to get him the Nintendo 3D, then preorder the game, and cut a picture of it out and give it to him.

For Christmas I was planning on getting him Star Wars bed sheets. On a side note, do you guys know how hard it is to find Queen sized Star Wars bed sheets? Actually not very, since Pottery Barn Kids has it.

I'm wondering if I should switch these presents around, or if they both suck. I know he wants the Nintendo 3D, I know he wants the bed sheets. Do I fail at presents? So friggen complicated.

Oh and for Christmas, with whatever I get him, he is also getting a scarf that I knitted for him.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #884 on: September 27, 2011, 07:30:35 AM »
I'm 11 months older than my boyfriend... such a cradle robber I know.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #885 on: September 27, 2011, 07:33:51 AM »
I'm 9 months older than my wife, almost to the day.

My problem right now is there are so many things I want to get her for her birthday in a few months that I don't know what to actually get.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #886 on: September 27, 2011, 07:46:28 AM »
My girl (my girl, my giiirl) is only 9 days older than me, but I tease her about being a cradle robber all the time. :P
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #887 on: September 27, 2011, 03:20:56 PM »
I totally missed that I was with a cougar, thank god you guys pointed this out to me!

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #888 on: September 27, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
No problem brah o/

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #889 on: September 27, 2011, 03:58:10 PM »
*\o

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #890 on: September 28, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »
Alright guys. I graduate from college in the spring. Do I wait a year for my girlfriend to graduate or go straight to grad school? Help a brother out.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #891 on: September 28, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »
Go straight to grad school. No doubt.

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #892 on: September 28, 2011, 06:24:27 PM »
Hey guys, having some problems and emotions and hoping someone can give me some solid advice. Also, nsfw.

I'm in the twenty something club with a job and a car and although I live at home, I have goals for the future and am mostly independent. She is two years younger with a job and no car. We were in a relationship for a little over 3 months. She broke up with me four days ago.

Before I begin with my diatribe about her and her family, I want to mention my feelings for this woman, and how I handled the game. I've only been with two other women in significantly longer relationships in the past (I have never liked the party scene or hit it and quit it), and met this girl at my fathers church. She is petite and attractive. In the getting to know her phase preceding our relationship, I noticed we shared a great deal of commonalities about life, attitude, relationships, and many specific topics which communicated to me that she was one to hang on to which I didn't get from other women. We had our little honeymoon phase of lovey dovey bs and when it ended, I took my game very seriously. Everything I did or said after that point was dictated by its value to my idea of keeping her attracted. Whenever I sensed the slightest hint of common reactions to neediness and over-availability, I dropped off the face of the earth and ignored her until she initiated contact. after these times (two in total) she always acted extremely flirtatious and happy to see me and even went so far as to ask me if I missed her. I believed I was doing everything right up until the day of the breakup which means I missed some major red flags. I also tried to keep the sex as interesting as possible by not slipping into a pattern of her getting me off and me ignoring her, trying new techniques, and buying sex toys all of which seemed to have positive results. I treated her like a princess as best I could without jeopardizing attraction.

A little background on her. She comes from a family I would consider broken. Her mother is mid 40s without a husband and has my girlfriend, her 22 year old sister, a child from another relationship who is two, and a female autistic child from an earlier other relationship who is 13 all living in their apartment together. My ex has some pretty strong insecurities due to a lack of any male insight and father figure, and an abusive relationship where she was raped, and several other relationships with people I would categorize as scumbags. Her older sister is overweight, has terrible insecurities about it, and similar problems because of the lack of a father figure, as well as incredible jealousy about our relationship which her and I have discussed at length numerous times. The mother is overwhelmed and has terrible control issues and what I am pretty sure is bipolarity. As a family they have been on numerous state aid services which I believe has fostered a stagnant "do nothing" mentality. Until she met me, she had no job and was entirely dependent on her mom for everything which her mom fully took advantage of by demanding she babysit numerous times during the week and take care of any menial task she could think of. I helped her get a job at Mcdonalds and soon after she started paying for her own cell phone bill to separate herself as much as possible from her mothers control. Her eventual plan was to save money and move out.

But the day comes and she texts me the early morning Sunday at about 3am saying "we need to have a serious talk about our relationship". So she comes to the church, I pull her out back to be alone and ask her to tell me whats on her mind. She says shes not happy with the way I treat/ed her mom, shes not happy the way I talk about her sister while shes around, and she mentioned another time that I believe was me really sticking to my boundaries and not copping to her moms demands. She said those things made her angry and that she thinks we would be better off calling the relationship off and to just be friends. I was hurt, rejected, offended, angry, nervous, resentful and a handful of other emotions in that moment but I tried so very hard to keep a straight face, said ok, and that her friendship was very important to me, smiled and turned around and walked away.

Here's what I believe contributed to her making the decision to break it off:

- She thought about the times I had given her advice and my opinions on her situation and resented me for it, however lightly. On reflection I realized that instead of being supportive, listening, and setting my own boundaries, more often than not I concentrated on pushing her and sometimes aggressively suggesting she make immediate changes.
- Although she constantly bad mouthed both her mom and sister when she was with me, the fact that I took part in it, and at times I was pretty bad, made her really angry. Whenever she voiced concerns of me being out of line though, I was quick to take her aside and tell her she was right and that I was wrong to speak about her family that way.   
- Their mother was out of town and she was babysitting her 13 year old autistic sister which was likely the source of a great deal of stress.
- Her sister is truly terrible jealous of us and was saying anything and everything to stir up negative emotions in her about me and our relationship which confused her and stressed her out even more.
- I was in no contact mode because the days preceding I felt like I was too available and needed to back off. To me, this means it hadn't been long enough for her to want to be around me before the thoughts of resent and breakup were brought up by her situation or her sister.
- She was sleep deprived due to stress hence the 3am message.
- I know her cycle, and she is pmsing.

Here's what interaction I have had since the breakup:

- My ex contacted me before I left the church after the breakup and wanted the belongings she was keeping in my car. I gave them to her while being as polite as possible. She also text me later that day and also wanted the sex toys. I told her the ones she bought or helped me buy for her were hers for the taking, but the ones I bought are mine to keep. She was suppose to pick these items up on Monday or Tuesday, but hasn't contacted me or come by to get them.
- Monday afternoon I left individual messages to her mom and sister's cell phones. To the mom I said I knew I had been disrespectful at points but that everything I did was out of inexperience to the situation and that I never truly disliked or did not respect her as a hardworking mother. She responded with this hugely long text message about how she felt the same way and loved me and my family and that she liked how good of a boyfriend I was to her daughter and who knows what the future may hold for our relationship. To the sister I said I was sorry for any behavior she thought was me being rude to her directly, and that I never intended to devalue our friendship or her well being. She is ignoring me or hasn't responded yet.
- She text me last night and said she also needed to give me back a spare car key she had been using.

Other than that, I have not spoken to her or her family since Monday.

I want to reconcile, and I feel the best course of action is no contact because on Monday and Tuesday I felt terrible things, and although today I feel much better, the idea of moving on and leaving this woman behind scares me and sounds like a big mistake.

On the topic of reconciliation, I have some problems. One problem I have is that I see her every week for about an hour and a half during church. The other problem is with the belongings she wants. Should I be the first to give them to her? Should I respond to her texts about these things to set up a drop off or pick up or hand off at church? Should I keep no contact and then be my normal light but cocky self at church when I see her?

I appreciate any tips and thank you for reading my feelings.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: September 28, 2011, 07:28:22 PM »
Alright guys. I graduate from college in the spring. Do I wait a year for my girlfriend to graduate or go straight to grad school? Help a brother out.

Go mang. Your relationship should survive the year or so you have to be apart, and you'll be much stronger for it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #894 on: September 28, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
The wife is a year and 4 months older than I.  She's robbing the cradle I tell ya!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #895 on: September 28, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »

Go mang. Your relationship should survive the year or so you have to be apart, and you'll be much stronger for it.

The year apart doesn't worry me. What worries me is if she doesn't get into any grad schools near me, and that year turns into four.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #896 on: September 28, 2011, 07:53:01 PM »
Dude, I'm going to be brutally honest. This is my personal opinion, so you can take it with a grain of salt.

Your education is all you have to, dude. It is all you can control that will most likely get you where you want to go. Your education is more important than any one chick; than a thousand chicks. Learn your shit, bro.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #897 on: September 28, 2011, 07:59:49 PM »
Dude, I'm going to be brutally honest. This is my personal opinion, so you can take it with a grain of salt.

Your education is all you have to, dude. It is all you can control that will most likely get you where you want to go. Your education is more important than any one chick; than a thousand chicks. Learn your shit, bro.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Cole. 

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #898 on: September 28, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »
My current partner and I were born on the same day. True story.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #899 on: September 28, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »

The year apart doesn't worry me. What worries me is if she doesn't get into any grad schools near me, and that year turns into four.
I feel like scenarios like this breed resentment among couples. If you don't go now, what will you do?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #900 on: September 28, 2011, 09:14:27 PM »
Absolutely. If the relationship is strong enough, it will survive any distance issues that come up. But you gotta think of yourself in situations like this. If you are ready for grad school now, then definitely do it.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #901 on: September 28, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »
How long have you guys been together, TOX?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #902 on: September 28, 2011, 09:24:01 PM »
Quote from: Nigerius Rex
I want to reconcile, and I feel the best course of action is no contact because on Monday and Tuesday I felt terrible things, and although today I feel much better, the idea of moving on and leaving this woman behind scares me and sounds like a big mistake.

On the topic of reconciliation, I have some problems. One problem I have is that I see her every week for about an hour and a half during church. The other problem is with the belongings she wants. Should I be the first to give them to her? Should I respond to her texts about these things to set up a drop off or pick up or hand off at church? Should I keep no contact and then be my normal light but cocky self at church when I see her?

If you really think your girlfriend was just being short-sighted, I think you should try to have another talk and try to work things out. Otherwise, I'd just bring her stuff back to her, avoid as much contact as possible, and move on. Don't just ignore her though -- tell her you don't think it's good to be talking while you have lingering feelings. And don't feel like a jerk about it either; she's the one who broke up with you.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #903 on: September 29, 2011, 12:46:47 AM »
My current partner and I were born on the same day. True story.

:clap:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: September 29, 2011, 02:44:41 AM »

Yeah, well... I guess that's when you have to make a decision.

I'm on the second year apart of what is supposedly to only be two but could wind up being more, so I guess I shouldn't assume what's been OK for me will be OK for everyone.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #905 on: September 29, 2011, 07:23:58 AM »
Absolutely. If the relationship is strong enough, it will survive any distance issues that come up. But you gotta think of yourself in situations like this. If you are ready for grad school now, then definitely do it.

This is where I disagree with you guys: It's doesn't matter how strong a relationships is - four years is an absolute killer. It's not a guaranteed killer, but it's definitely tough.

The biggest problem with taking a year off is that there's literally nothing I could do with my undergraduate degree. Nothing. I would probably have to go work at a restaurant or something.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #906 on: September 29, 2011, 07:35:22 AM »

This is where I disagree with you guys: It's doesn't matter how strong a relationships is - four years is an absolute killer. It's not a guaranteed killer, but it's definitely tough.
I agree.

The biggest problem with taking a year off is that there's literally nothing I could do with my undergraduate degree. Nothing. I would probably have to go work at a restaurant or something.
Go to grad school in the fall.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #907 on: September 29, 2011, 10:26:03 AM »
Yea. It's looking like I'm going to have to do that. Now I just need one more letter of recommendation... XD

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #908 on: September 29, 2011, 05:41:47 PM »
If you really think your girlfriend was just being short-sighted, I think you should try to have another talk and try to work things out. Otherwise, I'd just bring her stuff back to her, avoid as much contact as possible, and move on. Don't just ignore her though -- tell her you don't think it's good to be talking while you have lingering feelings. And don't feel like a jerk about it either; she's the one who broke up with you.

I appreciate the response.

I think I have calmed down a bit. There are still some lingering thoughts here and there about our relationship and a few pipe dreams of a grand reconciliation, but I usually squash them pretty quickly and dont let them change my attitude. As the days come and go I feel like I will be ok if I meet someone else. I responded to her message she sent two days ago about the key this morning and said I was working a lot this week and after a few days of relaxing, I would get back to her. 

One thing changed though. I got home from work today and saw on FB that she bought a new radiator for her long defunct car which is a huge step into where I had been pushing her because she had relied on me or her mom for transportation everywhere and that gave her mom a huge deal of control. So I shot her a message and told her I just got off work, saw her post, and was extremely proud that she was able to commit to something like that. I got a generic thanks in response, but I wasn't really hoping for that to be the catalyst that reignites any lingering passion.

Does telling her something like that sound needy? During our relationship I always tried to encourage her to set goals and accomplish them precisely like she did today and after reading it, I genuinely felt a little pride and respect.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:49:52 PM by Nigerius Rex »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #909 on: September 29, 2011, 07:57:07 PM »
God damn. I am so seriously happy right now it's hard to contain. I can't believe how absolutely great everything about this relationship has been so far.