Author Topic: The Non-Lonely Hearts Club  (Read 145799 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Non-Lonely Hearts Club
« Reply #910 on: September 29, 2011, 07:59:45 PM »
This is where I disagree with you guys: It's doesn't matter how strong a relationships is - four years is an absolute killer. It's not a guaranteed killer, but it's definitely tough.

Depends how many years you've got going into it. But yeah, I, for the most part, agree. But who's saying anything about 4 years? I thought we were talking one. One year is nothing, honestly.

God damn. I am so seriously happy right now it's hard to contain. I can't believe how absolutely great everything about this relationship has been so far.
Yet you don't even know where she stands on the Portnoy drama.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #911 on: September 29, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »
:lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #912 on: September 29, 2011, 09:40:37 PM »
If you really think your girlfriend was just being short-sighted, I think you should try to have another talk and try to work things out. Otherwise, I'd just bring her stuff back to her, avoid as much contact as possible, and move on. Don't just ignore her though -- tell her you don't think it's good to be talking while you have lingering feelings. And don't feel like a jerk about it either; she's the one who broke up with you.

I appreciate the response.

I think I have calmed down a bit. There are still some lingering thoughts here and there about our relationship and a few pipe dreams of a grand reconciliation, but I usually squash them pretty quickly and dont let them change my attitude. As the days come and go I feel like I will be ok if I meet someone else. I responded to her message she sent two days ago about the key this morning and said I was working a lot this week and after a few days of relaxing, I would get back to her. 

One thing changed though. I got home from work today and saw on FB that she bought a new radiator for her long defunct car which is a huge step into where I had been pushing her because she had relied on me or her mom for transportation everywhere and that gave her mom a huge deal of control. So I shot her a message and told her I just got off work, saw her post, and was extremely proud that she was able to commit to something like that. I got a generic thanks in response, but I wasn't really hoping for that to be the catalyst that reignites any lingering passion.

Does telling her something like that sound needy? During our relationship I always tried to encourage her to set goals and accomplish them precisely like she did today and after reading it, I genuinely felt a little pride and respect.

It will only sound needy if you keep doing it. Block her and her families' updates on Facebook from your News Feed if you think you'll feel urged to comment.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #913 on: September 29, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »
This is where I disagree with you guys: It's doesn't matter how strong a relationships is - four years is an absolute killer. It's not a guaranteed killer, but it's definitely tough.

Depends how many years you've got going into it. But yeah, I, for the most part, agree. But who's saying anything about 4 years? I thought we were talking one. One year is nothing, honestly.

God damn. I am so seriously happy right now it's hard to contain. I can't believe how absolutely great everything about this relationship has been so far.

As for the whole long-distance thing and how many years, it obviously depends... however, I have spent the last 2+ years in a long-distance relationship and have to say it wasn't too hard when we were both busy in school and had an end in sight... however, I sort of fell in love with the city I moved to for school and now I have no idea what the future of our relationship is going to be. So you never really know what is going to happen in the time you're apart, and four years is a damn long time.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #914 on: September 30, 2011, 05:30:54 AM »
As for the whole long-distance thing and how many years, it obviously depends... however, I have spent the last 2+ years in a long-distance relationship and have to say it wasn't too hard when we were both busy in school and had an end in sight... however, I sort of fell in love with the city I moved to for school and now I have no idea what the future of our relationship is going to be. So you never really know what is going to happen in the time you're apart, and four years is a damn long time.

Far away from home you might just meet the count of Tuscany.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #915 on: September 30, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »
It will only sound needy if you keep doing it. Block her and her families' updates on Facebook from your News Feed if you think you'll feel urged to comment.

I think I am doing well then because the only communication with her have been the messages about the key and radiator yesterday, and my apologies to her mom and sister on Monday. I am going to try my best to play it cool and be happy on Sunday when I see her with her family at church, and then wait out two or three more weeks before initiating any contact.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #916 on: September 30, 2011, 07:49:17 PM »
That sounds like a great plan.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #917 on: September 30, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »
Let me make myself at home

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #918 on: September 30, 2011, 09:04:25 PM »
dick

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: September 30, 2011, 09:13:24 PM »
die in a fire cole

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #920 on: September 30, 2011, 09:23:16 PM »
That's antisemitic.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: September 30, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »
it's not because i said it

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #922 on: September 30, 2011, 09:28:57 PM »
It's not antisemitic; it's homophobic. 

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #923 on: September 30, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #924 on: September 30, 2011, 11:33:49 PM »

Far away from home you might just meet the count of Tuscany.
:|

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #925 on: October 02, 2011, 09:29:33 AM »
LET ME INTRODUCE

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #926 on: October 04, 2011, 07:49:55 AM »
Here's the run-down on Thursday.

Girlfriend and I are meeting at my place as early as we can both make it happen, and I plan on making pasta with Alfredo sauce for dinner. Thanks to my recent grad party I cleaned out and actually have a dining room again so I plan on making that as nice as possible. Then we'll have some free time in which I will start teaching her economics. Basically she never had it in high school or college and is taking a test to become certified to teach social studies, so I'm going to do my best to help her learn it, and thankfully I was always really good with economics, and if I had continued on for my bachelors in accounting I may have even minored in it. And then the Flyers kick off their season and being the mega Flyers fans we are we shall cuddle up on the couch and watch that, which should be special for both of us.

The short of it is... IS IT FUCKING THURSDAY YET?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #927 on: October 04, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »

Here is our situation a little more in-depth. Basically, she graduates a year after me, but also wants to go to graduate school. So if I go to graduate school now, it's a guaranteed year apart. Then, if she applies to graduate school and doesn't get into a school near me, then that's another two years apart, for a three year total.

I'm really afraid of that happening. If our relationship ends because of fucking graduate school I'll be wrecked.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #928 on: October 04, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »
Well, grad school itself won't end your relationship but grad school can take your lives in different directions. As much as that would suck, it's a risk you take if you feel that strongly about going. We all make decisions for different reasons. I made the decision to go away to grad school knowing what could happen and I don't regret it because it was a move I needed to make for my career/life... it just sucks for our relationship now. But I think if things are meant to work out between us they will, and the same goes for you. You just never know what will happen.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #929 on: October 05, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »
School never took me away from my ex, but I have to say that having a relationship after college has thus far seemed SO much easier than during college. I'm not constantly worried about deadlines and papers and aside from work I can now easily make my girlfriend my focus. I mean maybe it's just that I've met an amazing woman, but I can't imagine things going quite as smoothly as they have if I was still in college.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #930 on: October 05, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
Tbh undergrad never got in the way of my relationships. Tony made that shit a lot more fun and bearable, actually  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #931 on: October 06, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »
Thursday is finally here, thank god.

Can't wait to see the girlfriend tonight. :D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #932 on: October 07, 2011, 06:09:19 AM »
Okay, so Thursday went amazingly. I found out she is planning on getting me like the greatest Christmas present in the history of ever, and so I have to start thinking now about what to get her, but I don't have any clues. The game is afoot.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #933 on: October 07, 2011, 08:32:12 AM »
Well it wont work for you for this christmas but I got a great gift from my bf - hockey related.

We went to Sakic retirement ceremony Oct 2009. For that christmas, my bf got a picture of us at the game, a picture of the hanging banner, and our ticket framed with Avs colors for matting. He also got us a brick at the Pepsi Center, that we are finally going to see in person this weekend!

I've gotten him a Pavel Bure jersey, from certain time period with a specific patch - perhaps she might like something like that as well?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #934 on: October 07, 2011, 10:24:14 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure I could find something, but considering she has a winter classic jersey of her favorite player (JVR), it's going to be tough to do anything in the apparel department. I'm sure I'll think of something, but now some serious pressure is on.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #935 on: October 07, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
well...what is she getting you?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #936 on: October 07, 2011, 10:47:22 AM »
In case nobody noticed it's October 7th.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #937 on: October 07, 2011, 11:03:28 AM »
well...what is she getting you?

She's taking me to the winter classic. There is no superbowl of hockey since it's 7 game series, but this is like bar far the biggest single day event in all of hockey.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #938 on: October 07, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »
In case nobody noticed it's October 7th.

Uh..Happy Anniversary?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #939 on: October 08, 2011, 12:35:08 AM »
No, that's tomorrow :lol

I just meant all this Christmas talk and it's still months away.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #940 on: October 08, 2011, 05:55:58 AM »
No, that's tomorrow :lol

I just meant all this Christmas talk and it's still months away.
THEIR RELATIONSHIP IS MOVING AT A BREAKNECK PACE YOU CAN'T STOP IT

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #941 on: October 08, 2011, 06:52:48 AM »

It really sucks to hear about your situation Jackie, I really feel for you and I hope that today goes well for you.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: October 08, 2011, 07:01:20 AM »
My girlfriend is awesome

She likes The Three Stooges
She likes Pokemon
She tolerates Rush

WHAT MORE COULD ONE ASK FOR?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #943 on: October 08, 2011, 07:18:39 AM »
Obviously that she would love Rush? :p

But yeah,  that's awesome.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #944 on: October 09, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »
Got to spend the last 26 hours with my woman and it's been a long while since I've been this happy.