Author Topic: The Non-Lonely Hearts Club  (Read 145792 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Non-Lonely Hearts Club
« Reply #1050 on: August 19, 2012, 04:18:49 PM »
Those American customs :lol

Can I assume that the "promise ring" came into existence because engagement rings have become this ridiculous business?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: August 19, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »
*shrug*

I guess it's mostly for younger couples, who wouldn't be ready for engagement and marriage for some years. Frankly, I think he bough it for me so his Mom and I would stop bothering him about it lol.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1052 on: August 19, 2012, 04:21:06 PM »
Those American customs :lol

Can I assume that the "promise ring" came into existence because engagement rings have become this ridiculous business?

Hey, hey, hey!  Not all of us are gullible or from the 1950's! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1053 on: August 19, 2012, 06:26:41 PM »
Promise rings are usually for people still in high school or college who want to get married when they're out of school, but can't afford the ring society tells them they should buy for an actual engagement. Whenever guys out of school give a promise ring, it always makes me think he's being pressured by someone (either the girl or parents) to move the relationship to the next step, but they don't really want to make the big commitment yet. A promise ring basically buys them some time to figure out what they really want (or to raise the cash necessary to buy a bigger ring).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1054 on: August 19, 2012, 07:43:20 PM »
I dunno, sounds a bit like an outcome of so many American teenagers being hellbent on getting married as soon as possible. The very point of engagement is the promise; putting yet another promise in front of it sounds ludicrous. "I am promising to promise to marry you!"

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #1055 on: August 20, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »
Hey elsydeon, have you checked out Modells? They have Yankee purses!

Rumborak, we as a coupe have no experience with Trojan, they are too tight and small on bf. We don't like the feel of the magnums. We use Durex, but mostly use Lifestyle. We get the variety packs so we can try them all.

In my love life news, living together is great. We love being able to see each other every day! It may be a bit old fashioned, but last week he bought me a promise ring. He didn't get a protection plan, telling the associate "she won't be wearing it for long". So yeah, we're pre-engaged.
A bit late but I ended up going with a ring I bought from kays. No it's not a promise ring, but she absolutely loved it. Though a yankees purse isn't a bad idea for the next occasion!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1056 on: August 21, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »
Rumbo, I've always used these and never had an issue-

I did give these a try, but broke one the first time using them and thus would not recommend them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1057 on: August 21, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »
Heh. I actually bought the second one!  :omg:

I tested one but actually liked it, they had a different cut than the ones I had before, which made it harder to slide off.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1058 on: August 21, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
I've used the ultra thins a fair bit, never had a problem with them.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1059 on: August 21, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »
You probably wouldn't see this conversation in the LHC.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1060 on: August 21, 2012, 02:37:29 PM »
True that.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1061 on: August 21, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
Non lonely here going on almost a year now.   :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: October 31, 2012, 02:01:22 PM »
As of Sunday, I am in this club again.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: December 05, 2012, 04:52:06 PM »
Today is our second anniversary! Mario proposed today, we are engaged!  :biggrin:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1064 on: December 05, 2012, 04:54:01 PM »
Congratulations! That's great news, thanks for sharing with us.

On my end, it's our third anniversary, and the first one we'll be celebrating apart from each other (she's a two hour flight away from me, so we'll just have to make do).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1065 on: December 05, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »
Congrats Steph!!!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: December 05, 2012, 04:59:08 PM »
Thanks guys!

Super dude, when does she come home? Happy anniversary!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1067 on: December 05, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »
Thank you. That is home for her, but we'll be moving in together approximately a year from now, after my first semester of law school.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: December 05, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
Ouch. That's not terrible, but still sucks.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1069 on: December 05, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »
We've been doing alright so far. She came home with me for a week in May, I went there for Labor Day weekend, she was just here for the week of Thanksgiving, and she'll be returning for Christmas and the new year. As far as long distance goes, I think we've done a good job at holding it together. I don't have to worry about her cheating/breaking up and she doesn't have to worry about me because we trust each other completely.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: December 05, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »
It's great that you guys have been able to see each other! And even better that you guys have the trust in your relationship! I never had that until this relationship, and it is such a weight off my shoulders knowing all along that we are committed to each other.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1071 on: December 05, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
Today is our second anniversary! Mario proposed today, we are engaged!  :biggrin:
Congrats!

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: December 05, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1073 on: December 05, 2012, 07:33:13 PM »
Do you guys have a date in mind?

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: December 05, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »
Well he asked that I not bother him about wedding planning for at least three months!  :lol

But he told me he proposed today because he wanted to keep our anniversary the same, so I guess we'll get married on December 5th 2013 or 2014.

He said wants to give me some time to wedding plan, and I go to school full time and work part time. Not much time to wedding plan.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1075 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »
Well he asked that I not bother him about wedding planning for at least three months!  :lol

But he told me he proposed today because he wanted to keep our anniversary the same, so I guess we'll get married on December 5th 2013 or 2014.

He said wants to give me some time to wedding plan, and I go to school full time and work part time. Not much time to wedding plan.

That's a good idea. I might have to replan my proposal to my girlfriend...

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1076 on: December 05, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »
My honest wedding advice: plan something small, don't overdo it or take years to plan. Or better yet, just elope! :)

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: December 05, 2012, 08:21:57 PM »
Most definitely. We cannot afford or do not desire something big. He has a small family, and I have a large family. We talked about it some months ago and were thinking it would be our parents, his grandfather and my grandmother. I will still make it nice.

Super Dude it's a great idea. My fiancé (hehehe) has a terrible memory, so this really works. Only bad part is for him, as my birthday is November 5th, and our anniversary is a month later, and Christmas a few weeks later lol.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1078 on: December 06, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
So, my gf had taken the Myers-Briggs (see thread in GD) test a while ago, but I had no idea what she came out as; she had only asked about mine, but I couldn't remember because it was years ago I had taken it last. Well, I took mine today online and it came out ENTP (pretty dead on).
Well here's the rub: When taking the test today, I actually took it a second time afterward for shits and giggles, answering every question opposite I had before, just to see what comes out. Not surprisingly, it comes came out ISFJ.
So, I send an email to my gf, telling her I'm an ENTP. Well, you can guess once what she replied she is... ISFJ.

Uh-oh.

Usually I would laugh this off, but she's grilled me on several occasions about how I view "rules" and "norms" and such, and whether I like rules or not. I've always kinda given a wishywashy answer, but it also struck me as being something she was preoccupied with. Especially since my "past" reeks of eschewing rules (for example, quitting my job to travel around the world).

Well, for now I think I'll just push it out of my brain, but somehow I have the impression this spells trouble.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1079 on: December 07, 2012, 07:22:02 AM »
So, my gf had taken the Myers-Briggs (see thread in GD) test a while ago, but I had no idea what she came out as; she had only asked about mine, but I couldn't remember because it was years ago I had taken it last. Well, I took mine today online and it came out ENTP (pretty dead on).
Well here's the rub: When taking the test today, I actually took it a second time afterward for shits and giggles, answering every question opposite I had before, just to see what comes out. Not surprisingly, it comes came out ISFJ.
So, I send an email to my gf, telling her I'm an ENTP. Well, you can guess once what she replied she is... ISFJ.

Uh-oh.

Usually I would laugh this off, but she's grilled me on several occasions about how I view "rules" and "norms" and such, and whether I like rules or not. I've always kinda given a wishywashy answer, but it also struck me as being something she was preoccupied with. Especially since my "past" reeks of eschewing rules (for example, quitting my job to travel around the world).

Well, for now I think I'll just push it out of my brain, but somehow I have the impression this spells trouble.
Opposites attract. Chill!

Comedian called Jon Richardson says there are two types of people, putters and leavers. If you're a putter, everything's "where you put it." If you're a leaver, all your stuff is "wherever you left it." You can't have two putters together, or they will murder each other, and you can't have two leavers together because they will die of dysentry.

Comedy show's hardly the best place to get your relationship tips from, but I think there's a certain truth to that. Being different means you cover each other's weaknesses. Being the same means you exaggerate them. Necessitates compromise, but that's true of any relationship. Wouldn't let a hokey online test change how you see each other. Worry about it and that'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Embrace the contradictions.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1080 on: December 08, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »
Am I allowed to be in here even though I'm not dating anyone? I haven't been this happy in years, and I'm not lonely anymore, and yet I haven't gotten into a new relationship, nor have I been gallivanting around with 'randoms'. I'm clean for the first time in even more years, I'm healthier than I've been since I started self-medicating, and I've started studying again in hopes of returning to school for the new year. That said, I have absolutely no intention of dating anytime soon, and I am perfectly happy with that. I've never been able to say that with a modicum of truth, as I used to consider myself one of those people that 'needed' a companion. But now, after months upon months of moping around every day, hoping to hear (and eventually hearing) from a certain ex (which wasn't all that long ago, and opened my eyes after screwing with my head) and constantly going back and forth between being clean and in an utterly drunken, numbed stupor; I can say that I am on the right track to becoming an actual human being again. *GASP*

Anyway, I just wanted to say boats 'n hos. That's all! I'm optimistic for the future and I feel like a god damn Suupa-Saiya-jinn! I HAS BROKEN THE SYSTEM.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1081 on: December 08, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »

I can't believe I didn't see this. Congrats! :)

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: December 08, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
Thank you!  :heart

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1083 on: December 08, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »
Am I allowed to be in here even though I'm not dating anyone?
As long as you're not lonely! :)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1084 on: December 08, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »
Word up, brudda! Feeling...er...what's the opposite of lonely? Welcomed? Complete? Fulfilled? Hrrmm...either way I've got a mental hard-on for life right now. So naturally I'm going to go risk it by jumping off a cliff or some shit YOOLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO

j/kfuckthatshit

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.