Author Topic: Practice Practice Practice (video)  (Read 2351 times)

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Practice Practice Practice (video)
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:46:58 PM »
John Petrucci explaining why this band is legendary....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbaYELnRyMo

:omg:

Maybe it's a short discussion, but I wondered if anyone else had seen this, and what your thoughts were?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Practice Practice Practice (video)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »
Anybody know which song it was?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »
Ok, yeah, that's pretty damn impressive.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:13:31 PM »
 :lol That was wonderful commentary by JP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »
:lol That's some good stage banter. I wonder if JLB couldn't hear himself either? That would be interesting to hear, since it would be really hard to pitch a note without hearing yourself at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JoeG

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 11:17:45 PM »
Here's a video of the Outcry performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muBkquxoFkI

James is clearly having problems from the first line, and takes out his in-ear monitors almost immediately. Mangini also seemed to adjust things a bit to keep a more audible beat going at all times.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:35:46 PM by JoeG »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 11:34:37 PM »
Here's a video of the Outcry performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muBkquxoFkI

James is clearly having problems from the first line. Mangini also seemed to adjust things a bit to keep a more audible beat going at all times.

Sounded perfectly fine to me, although I haven't listened to the song since it came out, so I probably wouldn't have noticed if it was wrong anyway. :lol

You could see JLB putting his finger in his ears a lot, probably so he could hear himself, but he did a great job. True pros all round, as you could barely tell anything was wrong throughout the song. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »
Look at JP at 4:30 in the Outcry video :lol

Offline JoeG

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 11:38:18 PM »
The only major mistake I noticed was around 6:35, where Jordan seems to loose his place for a bit.

:rollin

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 11:50:48 PM »
The only major mistake I noticed was around 6:35, where Jordan seems to loose his place for a bit.
Jordan also has some problems with the timing at the 5-minute mark.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 01:28:24 AM »
:rollin :rollin :rollin

Awesome performance even without being able to listen to what they're playing. And that happened through Outcry, wow!  :o

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 02:17:59 AM »
Ha ha, JP cracked me up at 4:29. It's nothing short of incredible that they were able to get through it this well even though they couldn't hear anything.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 03:11:17 AM »
I bet Myung didn't even notice.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 03:33:22 AM »
"talk amongst yourself"

:lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 04:12:42 AM »
It's incredible that they managed to get through this song with non-working in ear monitors.
Just amazing.

Offline novenpeter

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 04:14:53 AM »
When The Earphone Break

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 06:47:15 AM »
Jeez, except for a few minor mistakes (and James looking pissed off while singing :P), this was an incredible performance. These guys are brilliant.

Online Mladen

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 07:07:14 AM »
My God, that was impressive! I honestly can't believe this happened, the guys are so professional! You can hear JR from 6:00 not being sure if he's using the correct sounds through the instrumental section. And of course, JP at 4:29 is hilarious!  :lol

Great speech as well.  :tup

Also, here's a great video from this concert, apparently there were no difficulties during this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUFNyJUDDaw

Offline maximumrocker

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »
Oh my Petrucci....

That was fucking impressive... Like  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :omg:

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »
Wow, thats crazy impressive! As a musician who has played with in-ears for years, I can't imagine having to play a song of that complexity, in a venue that large with no ears.  In small rooms it wouldn't be as bad, the band could probably hear the house mix pretty well, but in a large venue like that, the house mix would probably bounce around and by the time it came back to the stage, it would be pretty delayed.

Offline FsF

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 10:32:17 AM »
Almost goes without saying for Petruccui, but what a measured and classy reaction to some pretty dire technical issues. Having said that, Myung and James could've been chucking mic stands around backstage for all we know...

Offline stellarnight

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »
Registered just to say i was there in Singapore at this exact concert and witnessed this event! :D

The concert was fraught with difficulties actually. There were several technical faults. Outcry sounded weird and then they came out with this absolute gem. Massive respect for a band to admit that there is something wrong. Most bands would have shrug them off and pretend nothing happened.

After this if the scenes from my memory has not faded, there was like a 15 minutes technical fix so JP and James decided to bring their acoustic pieces forward while the technicians fixed whatever that was wrong. The Silent Man was AWESOME! There were some more faults after that and there was another lengthy pause so in the end, the concert playtime actually approached 3 hours!

Oh before i forget, James actually remembered that there was a pouring rain the last time they came to play in Singapore for the Systematic Chaos Tour. I am really surprised that they actually remembered something like that.  :metal

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »
Massive respect for a band to admit that there is something wrong. Most bands would have shrug them off and pretend nothing happened.

The opposite, actually -- I think a lot of popular musicians would have reacted in a decidedly less classy way.  MP at the PSMS Manila show comes to mind.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

Offline joogster

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
Almost goes without saying for Petruccui, but what a measured and classy reaction to some pretty dire technical issues. Having said that, Myung and James could've been chucking mic stands around backstage for all we know...

Some self promotion here as i posted my experience about this show https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=31334.0

Also witnessed this live and was lucky enough to win a Meet and Greet contest and asked the band about this after the show. Indeed it is Outcry and I remembered the band during the end of the insane instrumental looking at Jordan counting out with his hands, while Jordan and MM looking at each other, before hitting the sustained note before MM counting to 4 (with hi hat, since the secret cowbell couldn't be heard sans inner ears) segueing into the "quiet piano section". Goes to show how tight and professional these guys are.

Also FsF, about mic stands, James hit himself with his mic stand near the eye socket while headbanging on a certain song. Don't recall what song it happened, could be War Inside/Test,  but it was weird for him to see singing BAI later but looking like having a migraine! I'm sure there's a video out there. I asked him what happened there coz we thought he was hit by a piece of drumstick (MM hits hard!!) or a cymbal or whatever, but confirmed it was indeed mic stand. He even showed me the welt near his eye. I even joked him that now he's indeed a pirate!! He laughed!  :yarr

Lest to say that there was a 15 min break after this to bring out monitors on stage, and with MM counting into songs (hi hat) for the rest of the show.

Also ditto that stellarnight, I was at the Fort Canning thunderstorm show!! It's raining on the streets of Singapore indeed!!  :metal