Author Topic: DT as a metal band more than a prog band  (Read 7164 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: DT as a metal band more than a prog band
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
What's the difference?
I don't think there's a greater proportion of metal to non-metal in their music (with the exception of ToT, obviously) than there ever was. I just think on the whole the metal moments in their music has got a little heavier.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »
They've always been pretty vocal about being both, honestly. Their albums always reflect both sides to a degree, at least IMO.

This.  They've always been progressive metal.  It's just more metal now than prog.  Earlier in their career, it was more proggy with elements of metal.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline maplegliss

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 10:57:54 AM »
i dunno prog can be heavy too right?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 11:05:54 AM »
There aren't any prog bands for them to open for. They opened for Yes in '04 and the great majority of Yes geezers didn't like it. So that leaves Option B: big-time metal bands, since classic rock bands won't touch them either. Oh, and they'd love to open for Rush but it'll probably never happen.

I don't know if that's entirely true. According to Lifting Shadows many, many Yes fans reacted positively to DT.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 11:22:30 AM »
There aren't any prog bands for them to open for. They opened for Yes in '04 and the great majority of Yes geezers didn't like it. So that leaves Option B: big-time metal bands, since classic rock bands won't touch them either. Oh, and they'd love to open for Rush but it'll probably never happen.

I don't know if that's entirely true. According to Lifting Shadows many, many Yes fans reacted positively to DT.
This, I read LOTS of postive comments on Yes message boards at the time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 06:13:36 AM »
I don't think it means much either way.  I think DT just saw an opportunity to open for/latch onto one of the biggest rock acts in the world as a means of exposing their brand to a wider audience.  Dream Theater has cited Iron Maiden as an influence from the beginning of their career, so the affinity they feel for Maiden's music is really nothing new.   

Besides, the Prognation lineup that DT took out with them last summer was more proggy than not (ZPZ, STS, etc). 

Not much else to say!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 06:20:03 AM »

/what a metal band might look like

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »
brutal

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 01:27:46 AM »
actually from the length of their songs, i believe they will continue to be more progressive, :D
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2010, 03:50:07 AM »
That thread has made me think of another question. DT keep getting more metal, JP is such an aggressive riffer on BC&SL. They are on Roadrunner, that is a metal label. And JP and MP seem to be more into metal than ever.
 Do you think that at ONE POINT when JR, JP and MP become so old that fast stuff becomes more difficult to play, DT might return to more lighter, less tiring music (MP drum parts simplify and the tempo slows down, JR parts slow down and JP riffs become calmer)? It might not be in the next few years but maybe when their career is nearing its end.