Author Topic: DT as a metal band more than a prog band  (Read 7180 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
DT as a metal band more than a prog band
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:21:58 PM »
With DT opening up for Iron Maiden this summer, it got me to thinking.

Are they starting to consider themselves more of a metal band than a progressive band?  I'm not a fan of maiden, never have been, which is leading me to lean towards not going.  Is this going to be like the way it's going to be more??  I mean I hope not.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: DT as a metal band more than a prog band
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »
They've always been pretty vocal about being both, honestly. Their albums always reflect both sides to a degree, at least IMO.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »
There aren't any prog bands for them to open for. They opened for Yes in '04 and the great majority of Yes geezers didn't like it. So that leaves Option B: big-time metal bands, since classic rock bands won't touch them either. Oh, and they'd love to open for Rush but it'll probably never happen.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:53:34 PM »
I don't think it means much either way.  I think DT just saw an opportunity to open for/latch onto one of the biggest rock acts in the world as a means of exposing their brand to a wider audience.  Dream Theater has cited Iron Maiden as an influence from the beginning of their career, so the affinity they feel for Maiden's music is really nothing new.   

Besides, the Prognation lineup that DT took out with them last summer was more proggy than not (ZPZ, STS, etc). 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:03:20 PM »
I think they are still a prog and a metal band.  BC&SL had a little bit of everything.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 01:03:45 PM »
The metal component of their music has certainly gotten heavier. I couldn't see them doing blastbeats or meshuggah-inspired riffage in 1992. That may be as much to do with the evolution of the genre as it is to do with the band themselves. But they are still indisputably progressive.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
There aren't any prog bands for them to open for. They opened for Yes in '04 and the great majority of Yes geezers didn't like it.
Sad but true. I'm sure they would be trilled to open for Rush, but it's not gonna happen. Same with Pink Floyd, although it could be possible if Wright was alive...

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 01:41:05 PM »
The metal component of their music has certainly gotten heavier. I couldn't see them doing blastbeats or meshuggah-inspired riffage in 1992. That may be as much to do with the evolution of the genre as it is to do with the band themselves. But they are still indisputably progressive.

How? Sorry to be picky, but what have they done recently (since 2003) that is new and in a different direction, the definition of progressing. Apart from dabbling with extreme metal (see ANTR)?

Offline LTE

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:57:31 PM »
I can see them opening for bands like Yes if they kept to their older material. I'm sure a lot of classic prog fans would enjoy that.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »
They still have their soft spot, and prog spots. They're just an extremely rare band, they're so diverse it's awesome.
gone

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 03:30:15 PM »

How? Sorry to be picky, but what have they done recently (since 2003) that is new and in a different direction, the definition of progressing. Apart from dabbling with extreme metal (see ANTR)?

Progressive music doesn't mean that you progress as a band.  One would hope that this happens in all genre's of music.  Songs like Octavarium, Sacrificed Songs, In The Presence of Enemies, The Count of Tuscany, are all indisputably progressive.  They've always had a slightly metal edge to them.  I think they've become heavier over the years, but I don't think it's a bad thing.  Would I love for them to do something like SFAM or I&W.... yes.  But I love the fact that every one of their albums has a distinct sound to it.

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »

Not... again... please

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
They've always been pretty vocal about being both, honestly. Their albums always reflect both sides to a degree, at least IMO.
This.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 04:56:46 PM »
As much as I hate to say so, I think DT is progressively moving from one end of the spectrum to the other. I'm not afraid to say that I very much prefer the proggier (for the most part, old) DT than the metal DT, just the way I prefer prog to metal otherwise. I'm sure I'll listen to and enjoy pretty much anything they put out anyway, but I was especially disappointed with their most recent record.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 05:08:36 PM »
They have always been (and always will be) a prog-oriented band.  But I think anyone that thinks there isn't more metal in their prog metal equation now than there used to be isn't listening.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 05:11:17 PM »
But I think anyone that thinks there isn't more metal in their prog metal equation now than there used to be isn't listening.

Well, yeah, obviously.  I mean, their latest release with that riffage in A Fortune In Lies and Metropolis, and songs like The Mirror, Lie, Home, etc. could NEVER have been written back in the '90s.  They've really only developed that stuff lately.

:neverusethis:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 05:13:41 PM »
But I think anyone that thinks there isn't more metal in their prog metal equation now than there used to be isn't listening.

Well, yeah, obviously.  I mean, their latest release with that riffage in A Fortune In Lies and Metropolis, and songs like The Mirror, Lie, Home, etc. could NEVER have been written back in the '90s.  They've really only developed that stuff lately.

:neverusethis:

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »
They have always been (and always will be) a prog-oriented band.  But I think anyone that thinks there isn't more metal in their prog metal equation now than there used to be isn't listening.

I agree, it's just a shame they're not very good at making metal.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 08:17:35 PM »
I think they're great at metal.  Then again, 90% of metal bands sound exactly the same and bore me to death.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 08:23:51 PM »
I think they're great at metal.  Then again, 90% of metal bands sound exactly the same and bore me to death.

I think they were great at metal when they were less 'modern' and aggressive about it.  Songs like "The Mirror" or "Caught in a Web" sound very heavy without ever seeming that like band are "reaching" for it; it never feels contrived.  It feels organic and a natural extension of their sound.

Whereas, songs like "A Nightmare to Remember," "The Dark Eternal Night," "Honor Thy Father" etc. seem that they're almost trying a bit too hard; 'raps', downtuned guitars, harsh vocals, etc.  You could really see a shift in the way DT approached the metal side of their sound post-TGP.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »
They definately have more metal elements now, but still maintain that progressive element. I don't see that formula really changing too much, but it may... I really do prefer the older prog sound that they had to the current sound.

Didn't MP say once that they have no choice but to move forward into a heavier sound or else they'll never move forward in their careers
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 09:10:01 PM »
Possibly. It's kind of sad to see musicians of that caliber believe that that is the reason they need to get heavier. There is no reason why they couldn't go in entirely new directions and styles since they have the abilities.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
To me, DT has put out one album heavier than Awake (obviously TOT), so I'm with those emphasizing that heaviness has always been a vital part of the equation for them and that the ratio of heavy to prog (must the 2 be mutually exclusive?) is pretty much the same as it always has been.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 09:55:44 PM »
I would LOVE it if they went back to more of a hard-rock edge for the next album.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 12:20:04 AM »
Their evolution as a band seems natural for the most part. Look at WDADU...the music fits the times. The same could be said for a majority of their stuff, but they seem to take what's currently good and make it way better.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 12:31:02 AM »
I'm just a bit miffed that 8VM, SC, and BCSL are all more or less the same, with no real "progress" per se in between. Everything before that had some transition in between that made that album unique. A LOT of SC could have been 8VM B-sides.
caw caw

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 12:36:04 AM »

:lol I love that picture.

Anyway I don't think there is a higher proportion of metal in their music, but I think it could be argued that more of their metal moments are heavier than they used to be.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 04:38:04 AM »
What's the difference?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 05:40:39 AM »
Anyway I don't think there is a higher proportion of metal in their music, but I think it could be argued that more of their metal moments are heavier than they used to be.
What's the difference?
I thought about asking this myself: when people are arguing that they are more metal than they used to be, do they mean that (1) while, say, only 50% (just a number to use for the sake of argument) of their music on albums from the 90's was metal, now 80% per album is -- or do they mean that (2), while the percentage still hovers around 50% like it always has, that 50% portion of metal is now heavier metal?  I agree that a case could be made for the second of these, but that's just a sign of the times: not many people were doing growling vocals in 1992.  I think this is a crucial distinction from option one, which I don't agree with at all.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 07:03:24 AM »
With DT opening up for Iron Maiden this summer, it got me to thinking.

Are they starting to consider themselves more of a metal band than a progressive band?  I'm not a fan of maiden, never have been, which is leading me to lean towards not going.  Is this going to be like the way it's going to be more??  I mean I hope not.
Dream Theater is only playing 50 minutes so if you don't care for Maiden, I would pass if I were you. Its too much money for such a short set. Its half of there prog 09 set, and that was short enough.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 07:33:39 AM »
I think they're great at metal.  Then again, 90% of metal bands sound exactly the same and bore me to death.

I think they were great at metal when they were less 'modern' and aggressive about it.  Songs like "The Mirror" or "Caught in a Web" sound very heavy without ever seeming that like band are "reaching" for it; it never feels contrived.  It feels organic and a natural extension of their sound.

Whereas, songs like "A Nightmare to Remember," "The Dark Eternal Night," "Honor Thy Father" etc. seem that they're almost trying a bit too hard; 'raps', downtuned guitars, harsh vocals, etc.  You could really see a shift in the way DT approached the metal side of their sound post-TGP.

Perfectly worded.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 09:34:20 AM »
To me, DT is one of the bands that manage to unite progressive rock and metal very well, mostly at least. There have been more instances where this kind of fusion didn't work well because of "forcing" the metal part recently, but BCASL showed that they are still able to make it work.

And I agree with TGP being some kind of a turning point for that.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 09:47:22 AM »
I'd hold up ITPOE pt. 1 as being the best example of them being able to combine progressive rock and metal in equal parts post-TGP.  It was heavy without being down-tuned, technical without being wanky, and featured good melodies and a strong vocal performance.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 10:41:04 AM »
I agree that they have elements of both but are much more formulaic.