Author Topic: The James Bond Thread  (Read 111257 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The James Bond Thread
« Reply #735 on: July 12, 2019, 05:31:33 PM »
I mean you can phrase a lot of things in ways to make them sound unbelievable but I thought it was well done.. huh. Tastes!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: July 12, 2019, 09:46:00 PM »
I liked Mr Jinx, and thought he had potential, but he wasn't fleshed out at all. He was just some guy causing problems.

Doesn't every Bond film have this character?  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #737 on: July 13, 2019, 12:00:18 AM »
I liked Mr Jinx, and thought he had potential, but he wasn't fleshed out at all. He was just some guy causing problems.

Doesn't every Bond film have this character?  :biggrin:

Yeah, that's true. Lol

In other news, apparently Waltz is coming back.

http://collider.com/bond-25-blofeld-return-christoph-waltz/

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #738 on: July 15, 2019, 08:24:23 AM »
While Daniel Craig is set to reprise his role as James Bond in the next film, the franchise is set for a shake-up, with reports claiming that black British actor Lashana Lynch has been cast as 007 – taking over Bond’s secret agent number after his character leaves M16.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jul/15/lashana-lynch-new-007-james-bond-daniel-craig
Have no idea if this is legit. I saw that she plays a character named Nomi in Bond 25.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 08:30:01 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: July 15, 2019, 08:43:25 AM »
How woke of MI6.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: July 15, 2019, 08:46:17 AM »
So, I want to watch a 007 movie because 007 is James Bond. If she's not James Bond... huh. Well, if this is legit, this is definitely huge for the franchise. But for now I'm going to focus on being excited for Bond 25 and not letting this spoil my hype  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #741 on: July 15, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »
So, I want to watch a 007 movie because 007 is James Bond. If she's not James Bond... huh. Well, if this is legit, this is definitely huge for the franchise. But for now I'm going to focus on being excited for Bond 25 and not letting this spoil my hype  :biggrin:

Jane Bond  :metal

Honestly, so many people are like "Stop trying to force minorities into roles! Just cast the best person for the role regardless of that stuff"
"Fine, we thought the best person for the role was a black woman"
"IMPOSSIBLE! You're just pandering to special interest groups! It's not humanly possible that a minority would be the best choice for something!"

I'm not a James Bond fan by any stretch, but he's been around for decades and I've heard it's been getting stale. I get the decision to change direction a bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: July 15, 2019, 09:58:52 AM »

Jane Bond  :metal

Honestly, so many people are like "Stop trying to force minorities into roles! Just cast the best person for the role regardless of that stuff"
"Fine, we thought the best person for the role was a black woman"
"IMPOSSIBLE! You're just pandering to special interest groups! It's not humanly possible that a minority would be the best choice for something!"

I'm not a James Bond fan by any stretch, but he's been around for decades and I've heard it's been getting stale. I get the decision to change direction a bit.

:lol

I just feel like a lot of James Bond's qualities are specifically designed to be portrayed by a male. I'm not anti-female (Jane) Bond and I'm actively rooting for Idris Elba to be the next Bond, but at the same time I think the switch needs to be handled very carefully and intelligently to make the switch feel organic and believable. I'm of the opinion that the Craig-era of Bond is the best it's ever been (overall), so I just want to see them put their best foot forward for the future. As long as they're doing this because they have the creative means to make it work well, I'm all game for this, I just don't want it to feel contrived.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #743 on: July 15, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »
I would love to see Idris Elba so bad, and think he has the capabilities to really knock it out of the park.

I mean god damn:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #744 on: July 15, 2019, 11:03:21 AM »
Not a fan of the franchise transitioning to a female 007.

I just feel like a lot of James Bond's qualities are specifically designed to be portrayed by a male. I'm not anti-female (Jane) Bond

I just don't personally think the story/image etc etc will work with a female 007.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: July 15, 2019, 11:27:39 AM »
Imagine a classy lady schmoozing a coy guy. I dunno, something about that just makes me laugh.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #746 on: July 15, 2019, 11:35:08 AM »
The gender / race switch at this point kinda feels like a gimmick, something along the lines of "Tour to play an album in its entirety". Sometimes it's a cool idea and sometimes it's a plain gimmick.

I don't follow Doctor Who but I know enough about it to know that the personification of the Doctor changes, and so it's not unconceiveable that an iteration of the Doctor could be a woman. But a character that is named James Bond can't really go Jane Bond. If the only way you have to present a cool story is to completely change the character, maybe it's time you give the character a rest. Kinda those comic issues that do alternate worlds, wacky universe changing dimensions etc etc only to scrap it all when fans don't like it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: July 15, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
James Bond goes through transition after a trip to his therapist made him realize his misogyny and objectifying of women is rooted in a deep dark desire of him wanting to be a female all along. Now he's Jane Bond reborn from James Bond.  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #748 on: July 15, 2019, 11:46:04 AM »
Wow. Lashana Lynch is the next 007. She’s not playing Bond, but will take over the code name. Brava
I mean honestly how can this be a Bond movie then if it's not about the Bond moniker, wouldn't it be more like a spin-off instead?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #749 on: July 15, 2019, 11:52:04 AM »
I'd put money that this is marketing too.

New Bond movie? Meh. Some excitement, but the franchise has suffered a lot of fatigue.

New black female 007? I HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE BECAUSE I HATE THIS IDEA SO MUCH!

So I'd bet that she will not be a new 007 in any meaningful way, but is a way to spark interest and discussion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #750 on: July 15, 2019, 03:13:07 PM »
Loving the overreaction from white dudes.

The indications so far are that the film starts with Bond having left/retired, and Lynch's character is the new 007. But for whatever reason, Bond needs to come back.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #751 on: July 15, 2019, 05:36:46 PM »

The indications so far are that the film starts with Bond having left/retired, and Lynch's character is the new 007. But for whatever reason, Bond needs to come back.
Are you talking about Bond 25 or 26?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: July 15, 2019, 09:03:05 PM »
Love the overreaction to the (over?)reaction by the woke crowd.

And if they want to consider this a "Popcorn-dropping moment" would they have not announced it several months in advance? To Adami's point, of course it's marketing. To Katt's point, will it be organic and natural, or a gimmicky "We're playing album XX in its entirety this tour!"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #753 on: July 15, 2019, 10:37:41 PM »
No matter how it plays out, the studio wins. If they gamble and they lose, it just creates that much more hype for when they bring back a male James Bond. But if they gamble and they win, then they are viewed as innovators. Either way, the studio wins. They've created the controversy necessary to generate interest.

EDIT - In other words...everyone is being played. Sort of like how the same company that makes the "Christian fish" for the  back of people's cars also make the Darwin fish with the feet. The company makes money no matter which side you're on.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #754 on: July 16, 2019, 06:49:09 AM »

Pretty much this.   Spectre ended with Bond leaving with Madeleine Swann, so the next film will pick up with him retired.  Blofeld will escape probably kill Madeleine Swann, Bond returns finds that his 007 moniker has been passed on to Lashana Lynch - they'll probably team up and she'll be the Bond girl of the film.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #755 on: July 16, 2019, 07:43:15 AM »
I fail to see how having a female lead in a spy movie counts as innovation. But I don't care regardless, if it's done just to be woke - I'll laugh at how bad it is. If it's good - I win, no matter what. And I'm not a fan of the Craig run as 007, he is fantastic, I just don't care about the writing.
If they really want to do something notable with the gender switch, they'll have to completely change the tone of the movie I assume. I imagine female spies work in a very different way than males do, but if they just make her outfight men and so on like a Terminator then it's just a reskin to pander to very few people.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #756 on: July 16, 2019, 07:49:13 AM »
Who said anything about a female lead? Bond is obviously the lead in a Bond film.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #757 on: July 16, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »
Aren't they prepping a 007 female lead or did I misread?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #758 on: July 16, 2019, 07:53:49 AM »
If they really want to do something notable with the gender switch, they'll have to completely change the tone of the movie I assume. I imagine female spies work in a very different way than males do, but if they just make her outfight men and so on like a Terminator then it's just a reskin to pander to very few people.

This would be cool. Have a female spy work on seduction, on men underestimating her because she's a "dumb chick", have her actually in situations in which men try to take advantage of her - Bond is a dog and sleep with everyone, how would it be if a female spy should be involved in a situation where she's expected as part of her ploy to sleep with someone she dislikes?

If it's just Black Widow being not a superhero but a spy, it would be a shallow gimmick.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #759 on: July 16, 2019, 09:36:28 AM »
It's a bit confusing because I thought at first that they meant they will cast a female lead as 007 in Bond 26 but apparently this is all about the story of the upcoming movie which probably means what some are saying that she will temporarily play as 007 in Bond 25.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #760 on: July 16, 2019, 10:16:04 AM »
Why do I get the feeling that the next Star Trek movie is going to feature a Puerto Rican transsexual as Captain Kirk.

In 2021, Indya Moore are James T. Kirk!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #761 on: July 16, 2019, 02:15:25 PM »
It's a bit confusing because I thought at first that they meant they will cast a female lead as 007 in Bond 26 but apparently this is all about the story of the upcoming movie which probably means what some are saying that she will temporarily play as 007 in Bond 25.
I'm sure some sites will have mis-reported through over-excitement (either rage because IT MUST BE A WHITE MAN or excitement because YAY IT'S NOT A WHITE MAN). The actual reporting is that she's been cast in Bond 25, along the lines I described in my previous post.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #762 on: July 16, 2019, 06:03:46 PM »
Lynch’s character will probably only be 007 in the first half of the film, since Bond walked away from MI6 at the end of Spectre. Once he gets dragged back in this one he’ll probably reclaim the code name by the end of the film (hopefully)

Offline Volante99

« Reply #763 on: July 16, 2019, 07:09:05 PM »
Why do I get the feeling that the next Star Trek movie is going to feature a Puerto Rican transsexual as Captain Kirk.

In 2021, Indya Moore are James T. Kirk!

Har har har. Someone help, I can’t see after the giant eye roll I just gave this post.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #764 on: July 19, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »
First off I do agree with the theory that she's probably only carrying the code name for the start of the movie, maybe she dies, Bond comes back into play or whatever happens he ends up with the 007 title at the end again.

Still the whole ploy to use a black female as 007 no matter if it's for a scene or two, or half the movie is just such a lame move by the studio. They're doing it so they can say things like "anyone can be a badass agent" and "a woman can kick ass too" and I'm not saying these are wrong, but they're using the James Bond franchise to do this in. I think Lynch is a good actress and she probably could be a badass agent but it's like if you had 100% faith in this you would put out a movie called "Jane Kickass" or whatever, make a new original female character and make a movie like that. Using one of the most known IPs in movie history to do this is kinda like taking a dive in the deep side of the pool but you're wearing a life jacket. Then again look at a movie like Lucy starring Scarlett Johanson, pretty much nobody went to see that.

Then you got the endless debate that James Bond has no place in the world in 2019, a typical man's man (who is also white) who gets every woman to sleep with him and saves the world. For me personally I don't care going into a movie what race or gender the main character is, but I do believe in keeping it somewhat consistent with what the character always was.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: August 20, 2019, 03:46:34 PM »
One step closer... Bond 25 officially titled "No Time To Die"! April 3rd, 2020 for UK -- April 8th, 2020 for USA!

https://twitter.com/007/status/1163843400644403200

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #766 on: August 20, 2019, 06:48:51 PM »
I dig it! Was hoping for a Fleming title, but this one is total classic Bondian. And the logo looks pretty retro too.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #767 on: August 20, 2019, 09:10:49 PM »
That's right around the corner. For some reason I was thinking it was gonna be a fall 2020 release.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #768 on: August 21, 2019, 06:27:23 AM »
What a lazy phoned in title - sounds like they used a Bond Name randomizer ('Kill Goldenpussy').  Also basically it means the same thing as 'Die Another Day'.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #769 on: August 21, 2019, 06:34:17 AM »
I'd love to watch a Kill Goldenpussy movie  :metal