Author Topic: The James Bond Thread  (Read 111306 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The James Bond Thread
« Reply #385 on: September 11, 2015, 09:51:37 PM »
"You Know My Name" and "Skyfall" were both outstanding, although I prefer the latter because I think female vocals go with/are more traditional for Bond movies than either rock songs or songs from male vocalists.  That doesn't mean that there aren't good examples of either, such as
"Thunderball," "Live and Let Die," or "The Living Daylights."  There are also female-sang title songs that are the drizzling shits, like "The Man with the Golden Gun," "All Time High" (Octopussy), "Die Another Day," etc.   

The Man With The Golden Gun was an awesome theme, unlike the other two shitstains you mentioned with it.

I don't consider Thunderball and The Living Daylights as very good themes (although Thunderball is redeemed by Tom Jones' vocals), but Live and Let Die is as much a classic great Bond theme as anything else.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: September 12, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »
Live And Let Die.  :metal  What a fucking great song that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZdsIj4pAzQ

^ amazing version. i need to get this DVD again. It's great.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: September 12, 2015, 01:26:58 PM »
LOL the lady at 0:36.

I have always been annoyed by "...in which we live in..."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: September 12, 2015, 01:41:02 PM »
LOL the lady at 0:36.

It's fine in a song as it's almost literally poetic licence.

I don't get at all bothered by it or " To Boldly Go ".

Plus it scans nicely and has the right number of syllables for the line.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #389 on: September 14, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »
Same here.  It definitely hurts the song for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: September 15, 2015, 01:27:57 PM »
Same here.  It definitely hurts the song for me.
And easily fixed:  "in which we're livin'"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #391 on: September 15, 2015, 01:51:13 PM »
lol those are apparently the correct lyrics.

It still sounds weird, and I don't care for it that much.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #392 on: September 17, 2015, 01:46:12 AM »

Tis a great song.  That video version, though, seems to be a bit lacking in the pyrotechnics department.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: September 17, 2015, 02:06:00 AM »

Tis a great song.  That video version, though, seems to be a bit lacking in the pyrotechnics department.

It also needed more quick camera zooms. The old lady after the first pyro had clearly never been to a concert in her entire life. :lol
Great performance, and have been all the performances I recall seeing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #395 on: September 25, 2015, 04:52:39 AM »
Like the orchestra arrangement but not a big fan of his voice and the song in general.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #396 on: October 03, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: October 03, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »
Like the orchestra arrangement but not a big fan of his voice and the song in general.

Not the worst thing i've heard.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #398 on: October 03, 2015, 08:57:56 AM »
I am very excited. I like the theme as well.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: October 07, 2015, 03:23:28 PM »
He's also said he's under contract to do one more so it probably won't be for a while if he does do it.

I'm pretty sure he's been trying to get out of it since QOS.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #401 on: October 07, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »
He seems pretty damn bitter about it all but I can understand that. It's like this weird hate/respect thing (certainly not love); especially given his comments about the next actor to take up the mantel. He's done a fantastic job and I'm sure I'll enjoy Spectre, but after that I'll be about ready for something new. I mean...personally, I'm kind of tiring of the entirety of the Bond format, but on the other side of that token...if they change it up too much I could see them going back and absolutely raping the series like most of the Brosnan era was (for me at least). I also seem to recall something about them wanting to go younger with the next Bond so god fucking help me if they get this teeny bopper brat I'll just outright pretend the series died with Craig and might possibly blow something up. Just the words 'going younger' has never...ever...bode well with me when it comes to Hollywood.

But uh yeah...that bro mad.  :lol From what I hear he's a hard as hell worker on and off set and is one to do his own stunts so with a series like Bond...I can see why he'd be over and done with it by now. I respect and enjoy his candidness though, even if it comes with a side of abrasiveness.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: October 07, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
With the current trend for re-doing everything - I can see them getting a younger actor and just redoing Dr. No onwards until they stop making any profit.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #403 on: October 07, 2015, 05:23:39 PM »
Kind of what I had in mind as well, which means I'll be done after the Craig movies. I just couldn't take it. Hollywood has already fucked up one of my childhood heroes, Spiderman, I don't need another completely raped. Here's hoping they don't though... I read that a while back so maaaybe they'll just get another middle-aged badass like Craig and keep on keepin' on. That'd be ideal to me.

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: October 07, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »
Idris Elba or GTFO

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #405 on: October 07, 2015, 06:21:01 PM »
I could totally go for that. I had forgotten that he was a name mentioned as a possible successor. Absolutely!

RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: October 07, 2015, 08:41:01 PM »
Idris Elba or GTFO

I hope Daniel Craig holds on long enough for this idea to completely disappear first. I just don't get it at all.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #408 on: October 07, 2015, 10:58:16 PM »
Have you seen the TV series Luther? Great crime drama and he plays the troubled detective/agent/cop-type very well. I'd like him as Bond if only for the fact that he's a great actor and plays that type really well, in my opinion. Then again if you don't like the guy/his acting/have never seen Luther, I can see why you'd be puzzled. But in my eyes all it takes is at least an attempt to watch the series to know that he'd be a great Bond, even if you don't like the show itself, the character is great.

RIP DTP.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #409 on: October 07, 2015, 11:02:36 PM »
I've seen Elba in a few things and don't really understand what all the fuss is about. Nothing wrong with him, but I'm not buying into the hype. I haven't seen Luther though.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #410 on: October 08, 2015, 12:01:37 AM »
I'm not sure there's anything to buy into...or hype...as far as I've seen. I just have always liked his acting and from watching Luther, know he can play the troubled detective very well, which fits the Bond persona to a T, save for being upgraded from detective to ridiculously super secret agent man. I saw him on a list of actors that'd be good and/or interesting to play the next Bond and he was on there, that's all. If there's any 'hype' surrounding him, I haven't heard it. (The word hype is so overused recently...like ridiculously so, and it seemingly came out of nowhere...but...I digress)

I mean, I pretty much am open to anyone who isn't a fucking teeny bopper, angsty little shit. Those types are just rampant in Hollywood and it seems the 'in' thing to do these days is make a character young and dumb. That said, I really hope the minds behind Bond wouldn't let that happen but I don't put anything past the movie biz.

RIP DTP.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #411 on: October 08, 2015, 06:02:46 AM »
Not all of that was necessarily directed at you specifically. It's just that I've seen a lot of high praise for him on the interwebz over the last few years about him being such a great and underrated actor, and I don't really get it. But I don't dislike him and I don't think he would make a bad Bond.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #412 on: October 08, 2015, 07:38:57 AM »
I love Idris Elba.  I thought he was fantastic in Luther, and The Wire, and any number of other projects I've seen him in.  Definitely one of my favorite actors.

But I don't see him as Bond, and the fervor of some people to make him Bond seems odd to me.

I am all for progressive morals and cultures and inclusiveness, but I don't understand how changing a longtime character from one race to another counts toward that.  I just don't get it.

Bond is a white British heterosexual misogynist.  That's who he is.  The mythology of the character changes so much if any of those things are changed that you are left with essentially a new character that is no longer Bond.  I, for one, would much rather see Elba cast as a completely different character altogether. 

Offline TL

« Reply #413 on: October 09, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »
Daniel Craig Says He’d Rather Kill Himself Than Do Another James Bond Movie
Reading that, it was bitter to the point that I thought it must be leaving out some context.

The full interview definitely gives a bit of a different vibe to some of those quotes.
https://www.timeout.com/london/film/daniel-craig-interview-my-advice-to-the-next-james-bond-dont-be-shit

Some of the harsher quotes come across more as just being exhausted after a long, demanding film shoot. Some of it is still a little discouraging, but there are definitely other quotes in the interview that balance it out.

Offline TL

« Reply #414 on: October 09, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »
I love Idris Elba.  I thought he was fantastic in Luther, and The Wire, and any number of other projects I've seen him in.  Definitely one of my favorite actors.

But I don't see him as Bond, and the fervor of some people to make him Bond seems odd to me.

I am all for progressive morals and cultures and inclusiveness, but I don't understand how changing a longtime character from one race to another counts toward that.  I just don't get it.

Bond is a white British heterosexual misogynist.  That's who he is.  The mythology of the character changes so much if any of those things are changed that you are left with essentially a new character that is no longer Bond.  I, for one, would much rather see Elba cast as a completely different character altogether.

While I can understand that argument;
I'm of the mind that Bond being white is just how the character happened to be, rather than it being important at all to the character. I mean, we've already had two Bonds who weren't British (Lazenby being Australian and Brosnan being Irish).
I think Idris Elba would be a fantastic Bond. I don't think his race should be held as a pro or con in the matter. If they have a black Bond, it shouldn't be for the sake of progressiveness, but at the same time, if there's an actor who would be an awesome James Bond and is also black, I don't think it should preclude them from getting the role.
Just my two cents.

That said, while I think he'd be great, I think the chances of him being the next Bond are pretty low, and will be even lower if Craig stays on for another.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: October 09, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »

Some of the harsher quotes come across more as just being exhausted after a long, demanding film shoot. Some of it is still a little discouraging, but there are definitely other quotes in the interview that balance it out.

Plus he's already said elsewhere that he's under contract for one more...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #416 on: October 09, 2015, 02:23:42 PM »
Some of the harsher quotes come across more as just being exhausted after a long, demanding film shoot.
I'm sure that's what most of it is, along with everything involved with being associated with the character.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: October 09, 2015, 02:28:12 PM »
Give him three years off to do what he wants and then come back for one last hurrah with Sam Mendes then retire.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #418 on: October 27, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »
Just watched Die Another Day for the first time. Honestly I liked the first half of the movie. Then he gets to the ice palace and the movie just spirals into insanity.  I think The Man with the Golden Gun is still my least favorite bond movie but this one comes close.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: October 27, 2015, 06:35:23 PM »
It's pretty bad.

Why is Michael Madsen in it? He seems so out of place.