Author Topic: Dexter (TV Series)  (Read 69354 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Dexter (TV Series)
« Reply #595 on: December 27, 2021, 08:15:28 PM »
That episode last night gave me anxiety. :lol

Sadly, I suspect this season ends with Dexter being killed at the hands of his own son.  Harrison's violent side has been on full display, and I suspect the Kurt storyline plays out in a way where the new bound between father and son is fractured and Harrison will blame his own father for being the way he is and kills him. 

That is my theory and I am sticking to it.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #596 on: December 28, 2021, 11:37:06 PM »

Sadly, I suspect this season ends with Dexter being killed at the hands of his own son.  Harrison's violent side has been on full display, and I suspect the Kurt storyline plays out in a way where the new bound between father and son is fractured and Harrison will blame his own father for being the way he is and kills him. 

The ending is being touted as shocking but inevitable. If Harrison doesn't kill Dexter, maybe Dexter kills Harrison. I hope neither of these things happens as the prospect of future seasons is enticing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #597 on: January 02, 2022, 09:57:38 AM »

The ending is being touted as shocking but inevitable. If Harrison doesn't kill Dexter, maybe Dexter kills Harrison. I hope neither of these things happens as the prospect of future seasons is enticing.

As much as I'd like to see more, I am fine with this mini-series being the end, and from the way they talked, I think this is it.

1 episode left. Saw today's On Demand already. 

(spoilers below for anyone who has not watched Ep 9 today)

I am glad they wrapped up one storyline already, so we can get to the good stuff next week as Angela figures it all out and we get Dexter's demise, which feels inevitable.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #598 on: January 02, 2022, 10:09:36 PM »
It does feel inevitable now. His demise should have happened at the end of the original series. That felt like the only justifiable outcome back then.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #599 on: January 09, 2022, 07:23:52 AM »
FINALE SPOILER

DO NOT KEEP READING IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT YET

Well, my theory was pretty correct for the most part, damn it.

I always thought the original series should have ended Dexter either a) being exposed, or b) dying.

Here, we got both. 

I won't say this ending was great, but it was good.  Definitely a lot better than what we got in Season 8 of the original series, although almost no one will call this one of the best endings ever.   It was good, and considering what they had to come back from and work with, they did probably as good as could be expected.

R.I.P. Dexter Morgan.

And kudos again to Michael C. Hall for not only an amazing performance in this finale, but for nine seasons of playing this dark character in such a brilliant way. 

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #600 on: January 10, 2022, 01:40:20 PM »
FINALE SPOILER

DO NOT KEEP READING IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT YET

Well, my theory was pretty correct for the most part, damn it.

I always thought the original series should have ended Dexter either a) being exposed, or b) dying.

Here, we got both. 

I won't say this ending was great, but it was good.  Definitely a lot better than what we got in Season 8 of the original series, although almost no one will call this one of the best endings ever.   It was good, and considering what they had to come back from and work with, they did probably as good as could be expected.

R.I.P. Dexter Morgan.

And kudos again to Michael C. Hall for not only an amazing performance in this finale, but for nine seasons of playing this dark character in such a brilliant way.

*SPOILERS*

I agree, the original series should have ended with his death, but then we wouldn't have gotten this bonus season, which was pretty well done.

I was expecting see Batista show up after the phone call, and have a final encounter with Dexter. I’m disappointed that didn't happen.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #601 on: January 10, 2022, 06:20:09 PM »
I'm content with this ending except for Harrison driving off. Wouldn't cops, FBI, girlfriend, etc, look for him? Jim Lindsay's truck? Just seems like a lot of loose ends to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #602 on: January 10, 2022, 06:26:42 PM »

I agree, the original series should have ended with his death, but then we wouldn't have gotten this bonus season, which was pretty well done.

I was expecting see Batista show up after the phone call, and have a final encounter with Dexter. I’m disappointed that didn't happen.

Agreed.  I thought that was the one spot where they dropped the ball.  They teased a Dexter/Batista face to face and then it didn't happen.

I'm content with this ending except for Harrison driving off. Wouldn't cops, FBI, girlfriend, etc, look for him? Jim Lindsay's truck? Just seems like a lot of loose ends to me.

Who would they be looking for him that quickly?  Angela called it in as an office-related shooting (and I think she said she would say it was self defense), and she is in charge there in that small town, so unless she or that nimrod cop with the bad 'stache calls Harrison to tell him about the death of his father (which we know she will not do since she told him to leave town and she'd likely lie and tell the other cop that she will call Harrison), no one would be attempting to reach Harrison that quickly except maybe his girlfriend, and it is likely he would just keep driving and not answer.   Now, whether or not Angela can sell her story and if forensics backs it up is another story (does the blood spatter and the distance from which he was shot support self defense?), but that is something they wouldn't figure out right away anyway.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #603 on: January 10, 2022, 06:34:50 PM »

Agreed.  I thought that was the one spot where they dropped the ball.  They teased a Dexter/Batista face to face and then it didn't happen.

Who would they be looking for him that quickly?  Angela called it in as an office-related shooting (and I think she said she would say it was self defense), and she is in charge there in that small town, so unless she or that nimrod cop with the bad 'stache calls Harrison to tell him about the death of his father (which we know she will not do since she told him to leave town and she'd likely lie and tell the other cop that she will call Harrison), no one would be attempting to reach Harrison that quickly except maybe his girlfriend, and it is likely he would just keep driving and not answer.   Now, whether or not Angela can sell her story and if forensics backs it up is another story (does the blood spatter and the distance from which he was shot support self defense?), but that is something they wouldn't figure out right away anyway.

I think the Harrison stuff for me ties into that same forensics stuff. The truck and its tire treads, how did that gun get to the scene, etc. Just lots of holes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #604 on: January 10, 2022, 08:01:52 PM »

I think the Harrison stuff for me ties into that same forensics stuff. The truck and its tire treads, how did that gun get to the scene, etc. Just lots of holes.

Perhaps, but I would contend that loose ends like that are largely irrelevant, as I think the bigger picture takeaway from the finale is a) Dexter finally got what he deserved, and b) Harrison got closure and is free to live his life now free of his father. 

I also don't think it can be overstated how good a job both Julia Jones and Jack Alcott did this season.  Great casting for both characters.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #605 on: January 11, 2022, 05:52:11 AM »

Perhaps, but I would contend that loose ends like that are largely irrelevant, as I think the bigger picture takeaway from the finale is a) Dexter finally got what he deserved, and b) Harrison got closure and is free to live his life now free of his father. 

I also don't think it can be overstated how good a job both Julia Jones and Jack Alcott did this season.  Great casting for both characters.

For sure, like I said I'm content with this finale. The end to Dexter's story this time was much better than a fucking lumberjack.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #606 on: January 11, 2022, 07:38:46 PM »

For sure, like I said I'm content with this finale. The end to Dexter's story this time was much better than a fucking lumberjack.

Yawp.  I re-watched the finale again last night and it was better the second time (and I liked it the first time).   I plan to re-watch the entire season again as well to see if maybe there was some stuff I missed and to see how it holds up binge-style.  :coolio :coolio

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #607 on: January 11, 2022, 07:44:36 PM »
Definitely happy with this serving as the end of Dexter over what we got in season 8 of the main series. Still nothing close to the greatness of the first four seasons, but a fine enough send-off (as far as quality).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #608 on: January 12, 2022, 07:39:14 AM »
I finally caught up with the new series and really enjoyed it. I'm kinda surprised the hatred the finale is getting, I thought it ended as logically as it could. People are nitpicking some details like how can a little small time cop figure it out etc.. but I don't know I really loved the finale.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #609 on: January 12, 2022, 03:42:15 PM »
I finally caught up with the new series and really enjoyed it. I'm kinda surprised the hatred the finale is getting, I thought it ended as logically as it could. People are nitpicking some details like how can a little small time cop figure it out etc.. but I don't know I really loved the finale.
I actually love that it was a small town cop lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #610 on: January 12, 2022, 07:51:17 PM »

I am seeing more positive than negative feedback, although it seems every troll in the world when to imdb.com to give the episode a bad rating. These are usually the people who are pissed because they considered Dexter (ya know, the serial killer) their hero and are mad that he was killed.  That of course does not apply to everyone, but I have to question the sense of anyone who thinks this ending was on the same level (or even lower) than Remember the Monsters?  No, Sunday's finale wasn't Breaking Bad or Six Feet Under finale quality (see: super awesome finales), but it was good. 

Bottom line: people on the internet can really suck sometimes.  :lol :lol