Author Topic: RCMH  (Read 23831 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: RCMH
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »
I definitely remember it being played, but I did not personally see it.  I started a "place your bets on the RCMH setlist" thread, and I remember betting that that would be the I&W song.  That was one of the few I got wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2010, 12:58:36 PM »
I'm kinda surprised to see which posters didn't like seeing all of 6 D's at the RCMH show.  To me, that song represents DT going for their core sound (even though JR wrote a bunch of the melodies).

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2010, 02:13:27 PM »
It's always been a mediocre work to me. I'll admit it's ambitious and I can respect that but in the entire 42 minutes I just don't find any of it really that interesting. I don't wanna call it bland but it seems like a suite of B and C grade musical components at best. Yeah the orchestra made me kinda like it but I still won't ever rate the entire thing more than a 6 or 7.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2010, 02:33:35 PM »
I disagree about it all being B or C grade, but I definitely agree about the overall product being a little underwhelming. I think there's plenty of A grade stuff in there, but there is enough of it that is less interesting to bring it down a little, plus I think the overall flow of it is not that great. Still an 8/10 song for me, but it could have been so much more.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2010, 10:12:16 PM »
I generally agree with the last few posts.  If I took all of Disc 2 as individual songs, none of them would come close to being among my favorite songs.  It is like a collection of good to very good songs, and since the cohesiveness of it all falls a bit short, I agree that it is a bit underwhelming as a whole.  The last half of "Goodnight Kiss" is still one of the best moments of the entire 6DOIT record, though. :coolio

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2010, 11:10:49 PM »
The last half of "Goodnight Kiss" is still one of the best moments of the entire 6DOIT record, though. :coolio

And the first half, on the other hand, is one of the worst moments on the entire record. :p

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2010, 01:36:28 AM »
I can't believe some of the people in this thread are complaining about having to hear SDOIT for the second time??? I haven't even heard it played once. It is one of their best songs (in my top 5), makes me cry  :(

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2010, 02:38:35 AM »
^I agree. I think most people on here forget how fortunate they are to see 3 Dt evening with shows back to back.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2010, 06:55:31 AM »
Two. I'm not that rich.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2010, 01:24:17 PM »
The flip side is that you could live in Dallas, where DT only comes around every 3-5 years.  In that case, traveling to NYC and seeing the same 50 minute song you actually got to see the year before is kind of a drag.  Their rotating setlist thing is great a lot of the time, but it can also bite you in the ass sometimes. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2010, 01:54:55 PM »
Did anyone see take the time on the octavarium tour? on MP.com it says they played it a couple times before RCMH.
They played it a week earlier at the Paramount Theater show in Asbury Park NJ.  Listening to it right now.  Overall, IMO, that show had a really good setlist.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2010, 03:50:08 PM »
Did anyone see take the time on the octavarium tour? on MP.com it says they played it a couple times before RCMH.
They played it a week earlier at the Paramount Theater show in Asbury Park NJ.  Listening to it right now.  Overall, IMO, that show had a really good setlist.

You mean you have a bootleg of the show? I wonder, was labrie any good with take the time then? did they do it different to the CiM version with mike on vocals for verse 1??

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2010, 04:36:49 PM »

You mean you have a bootleg of the show? I wonder, was labrie any good with take the time then? did they do it different to the CiM version with mike on vocals for verse 1??
They played it in Boston. Although James didn't look great, he sounded awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2010, 04:52:58 AM »

No Mike on vocals.  It's all James.  For the most part, he sounds good.  But, it sounds like he just doesn't quite reach the high notes in the "If there's a pensive fear, ... Suppression that he feels must turn to hope" section.  A little flat.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2010, 01:42:32 PM »
where can i get my hands on this bootleg?

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »
On a random note, i was watching score the other day and interestingly during the intervals of octavarium i noticed a few members of the crowds raising their hands in the air with the number of the interval that MP says. Never realised before.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2010, 08:37:09 PM »
Score was such an amazing night, and an amazing party during the day as well!
Even with the unfortunate accident of the hat?

Huh?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2011, 07:11:57 PM »
Bump.

Since DT was fined with what, $30K for staying some extra minutes on stage wouldn't they be able to have said: "Oh, well... let's play three more songs"? Or they got charged $10K for the extra minute?

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2011, 11:31:47 PM »
Bump.

Since DT was fined with what, $30K for staying some extra minutes on stage wouldn't they be able to have said: "Oh, well... let's play three more songs"? Or they got charged $10K for the extra minute?

The way I understand it, the curfew was 11:00. They left the stage at 11:03. The fine was 10k per minute they went past curfew. So, wouldn't have been a good idea to stay on. ;)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2011, 12:29:49 AM »
I wish I could have seen it live, but I didn't know who DT was at the time, nor did my 13 year old self care at the time.

As for the CD, it's great to listen to, even if I find the sound quality lacking compared to other live releases. It just sounds too distant
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2011, 05:39:03 AM »
Bump.

The way I understand it, the curfew was 11:00. They left the stage at 11:03. The fine was 10k per minute they went past curfew. So, wouldn't have been a good idea to stay on. ;)
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2011, 06:03:50 AM »
Bump.

It's 10k per minute to stay on that stage, so if they played 3 more songs they would have probably have had to pay nearly half a million with the length of their songs.  :lol

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2011, 09:29:29 AM »
It definitely was a great show to be at, but I wasn't particularly fond of the setlist and the orchestra wasn't that great IMO. But hearing Octavarium live made me fall in love with the track.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2011, 07:25:14 AM »
Bump.

It's 10k per minute to stay on that stage, so if they played 3 more songs they would have probably have had to pay nearly half a million with the length of their songs.  :lol
Apparently, there are very few "union" halls left in the country.  NYC happens to have 2 of them with RCMH and MSG.  Even if bands want to play extra long, the financial ramifications typically keep them from doing so.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »
I love Score, might be my favorite live album by DT

but...

Ive always had a problem with the fact that the heavier side of the band is misrepresented, or at least any 7 string madness. The Test That Stumped Them All is the closest we got to that, but if I'm not mistaken, JP is not playing a 7 string on that song. Besides Train Of Thought songs, which I understand the entire album was essentially on Budokan, even HTF; why not at least one low end heavy song? Was it just the way the set list worked out and was just a coincidence?

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »
amazing show -- my first dt concert. I hope they play there again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2013, 11:45:22 AM »
Just listening to disk 3 of Score.  :hearts:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »

This question had been bugging me the most FOREVER. I requested DTbootlegs on YouTube to upload it, and they did!! James was way flat the entire time, very disappointing considering how great some of his high stuff was that tour. Maybe it was better on another night...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »
I am listening to SDOIT off Score right now, and I am  :biggrin: because
1.  I was there as they played this song
2.  Because I remember that monumental moment during this song when the curtains rose and there beheld an orchestra

Combine this with the thought of seeing them at MSG in a few months, makes me want to join hands with those of you who were also there and just simply appreciate that magical night of pure musical euphoria

I think I was the only one who was kinda disappointed that they played Six Degrees at Score, they pretty much played it on Budokan.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2013, 12:23:37 PM »
WHat exactly is a " special huh " ?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »
Just listening to disk 3 of Score.  :hearts:

Was actually thinking about putting on the entire second set on before, but I chose to listen to Beardfish instead.

Still might throw Score on, maybe just do the whole dang show.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2013, 12:27:53 PM »

This question had been bugging me the most FOREVER. I requested DTbootlegs on YouTube to upload it, and they did!! James was way flat the entire time, very disappointing considering how great some of his high stuff was that tour. Maybe it was better on another night...

I was at the Paramount Theater show. Front row in front of John Myung. I remember they played Take The Time second or third song into the first set.

Can I tell you me and a friend of mine were on mushrooms for that show? (not necessarily the best thing to do for a DT show, but it was fun)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »
2.  Because I remember that monumental moment during this song when the curtains rose and there beheld an orchestra

Combine this with the thought of seeing them at MSG in a few months, makes me want to join hands with those of you who were also there and just simply appreciate that magical night of pure musical euphoria

I think I was the only one who was kinda disappointed that they played Six Degrees at Score, they pretty much played it on Budokan.

Yes, especially when I found out what songs MP had to ditch due to time considerations.  :censored

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »

Yes, especially when I found out what songs MP had to ditch due to time considerations.  :censored

What songs did he ditch?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2013, 10:32:32 PM »
I guess I put it into perspective like this....

"Score", I watch over and over at home, on planes, etc....  Budokan, I haven't watched more than 3 times since it came out.  Same with LSFNY.  "Score" is the be all end all off DT DVD's for me.