Author Topic: RCMH  (Read 23826 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: RCMH
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 07:55:22 PM »
No I'm not. Actually, I apologize for posting that - I shouldn't have. I don't mean to come off as bragging, which is what it really ends up being. So sorry for that.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 11:47:47 PM »
ah, it would be hard not to with something like that...very cool!  you don't come across generally like that, though.  I'm sure you have plenty of other stories that you could boast about and you don't.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 07:20:29 AM »
No I'm not. Actually, I apologize for posting that - I shouldn't have. I don't mean to come off as bragging, which is what it really ends up being. So sorry for that.

It's not a problem man, most of us here know you are close to Mike and it is usually cool to hear your stories, even if it makes us envious. :)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 08:09:33 AM »

I agree with everyone.  You are definitely not one of the braggers.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 08:32:39 AM »

It's not a problem man, most of us here know you are close to Mike and it is usually cool to hear your stories, even if it makes us envious. :)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 08:45:36 AM »
I've been tempted to click on this thread for a few days now, but I didn't know what RCMH stood for.  Finally, I got it.  Radio City Music Hall. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 08:46:52 AM »
I would have to think about it, but I am not sure I would rank this performance in the top 5 of the 15 times I have seen DT live. It was just OK for me...

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 09:50:40 AM »
Actual performance or setlist wise?

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 11:48:06 AM »
Actual performance or setlist wise?

A bit of both. I agree with sentiment that the orchestra was not used in an effective manner. Keeping the setlist in the same structure as the rest of the 8V tour only served to emphasize that point. There are many tunes from SFAM and before that could have benefited from the presence of the orchestra.

I actually quite enjoyed the first set of the RCMH performance, with the inclusion of some rarities (Raising the Knife and IF, for example). But the whole second set dragged for me. It was my third time seeing SDOIT in its entirety (saw it twice on that tour) and I was never too hot on the song to begin with, depsite liking some of its individual parts (WIMH/TTTSTA, SS). Sacrficed Sons was a complete concert buzz kill, and the title track to Octavarium is another song that simply does not appeal to me. Taking into account my thoughts on SDOIT, SacSons, and 8V, that is more than a third of the concert I was getting no real enjoyment out of.

Performance-wise, I don't know if I would call this the apex of the band firing on all cylinders. There had been steady improvement up from SFAM through the ToT tour and I think they simply maintained it through the 8V tour. Nothing on this particular show stood out as being anything superior to what I had heard in previous concerts I atteneded or boots that I have collected.

I know part of my feelings on this show can be traced back to my general dissatisfaction with the band's output post-SFAM, but I do have an aprpeciation of how well the stuff on SDOIT and ToT translated to the live setting. Of the boots I have collected, when I am looking for DT live, 90 percent of the time I reach for ToT shows. I think they were at their best on that tour and as where I won't listen to the studio version of ToT, the songs really translated well live and it makes those shows in particular a real treat to listen to. I just never got that same feeling with any material on 8V, SC or even BC&SL.

I just walked out of RCMH feeling it just didn't live up to the hype. In contrast, I though the show at the Theater at Madison Square Garden on the ToT tour was a lot better and one of the most memorable DT concerts I have attended. The Score recording at RCMH and the subsequent shows that I have attended (CiM tour in Baltimore MD and Wantagh NY and the Prog Nation '09 show in Columbia MD) has really put into focus just how much I have lost that connection with the band's music...

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
Yes, the MGS show was incredible. Seeing A Change of Seasons was easily the highlight.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 11:54:25 AM »
*makes note to self to dust off the boot collection and make sure I have the MSG show*

Wow, SW, you are certainly entitled to your own individualized musical tastes, as we all are, and I'm not knocking you for what you like and don't like, but I'm surprised that you don't seem to care much for songs that are not only recognized fan favorites, but that many considered the highlight of the show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
Why is there a Chili Peppers thread on the DT-side?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »
*makes note to self to dust off the boot collection and make sure I have the MSG show*

Wow, SW, you are certainly entitled to your own individualized musical tastes, as we all are, and I'm not knocking you for what you like and don't like, but I'm surprised that you don't seem to care much for songs that are not only recognized fan favorites, but that many considered the highlight of the show.

Well, add me to your surprise list, because I agree with SW. I didn't attend the RCMH show, but SCORE's second half would have annoyed me to no end. I saw (with SW, coincidentally) the Six Degrees tour in Boston, and while I have an appreciate for the title track, I just didn't need to see it again. Didn't do much for me.

Actually, I can probably just say in regard to this conversation, everything SW said about the songs and orchestra pertains to me as well...along with part of the reason being traced back to my overall dissatisfaction with post-SFAM material (and some OF SFAM, to be honest).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2010, 01:50:23 PM »
The second half didn't annoy me, but it's certainly not what I would have preferred.  The only place I really disagree with SW is Octavarium.  The orchestra did help with that, but that's because it was originally written with those parts in mind.  I never really like it when orchestral parts are added to preexisting songs.  That being the case, the rest of the set, save Overture, didn't really work so well for me. 

As for the performance, it was the best I've seen them.  JLB never really goes all out when they play Dallas, so it was a treat to actually see the man do well. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2010, 02:16:46 PM »
I remember getting home that night, going to dt.net, seeing the set list, and thinking, "Wow, that is an awfully underwhelming set list for a 20th anniversary show."  Too many "lesser" DT songs were played, and too many absolute classics were not played, considering it was an anniversary show.  Some great songs were played, yes, but no one will ever convince me that playing "The Answer Lies Within" at their 20th anniversary show was a good idea.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »
I think the mindset was "well we have an orchestra so let's just cram all the songs we use strings/orchestra parts into the second set". I also agree that TALW is so insignificant of a song that it wastes time and I'd throw Vacant in the mix mainly because SoC is nowhere to be found (I'm also not a huge fan of Vacant). That's 8-9 minutes worth of space that could be used for a more exciting song.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »
I remember getting home that night, going to dt.net, seeing the set list, and thinking, "Wow, that is an awfully underwhelming set list for a 20th anniversary show."  Too many "lesser" DT songs were played, and too many absolute classics were not played, considering it was an anniversary show.  Some great songs were played, yes, but no one will ever convince me that playing "The Answer Lies Within" at their 20th anniversary show was a good idea.
I agree, but I guess they nedded a rest after a 45 minutes song and before a 24 minutes song. They are not machine after all.

BUT, I agree that The Answer Lies Within was a bad choice.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »
I don't know.  I thought it was perfect, as they were shooting for a DVD, and wanted to include not only fan favorites but songs that hadn't been on DVDs yet.  Score reaches the middle-ground very well. Maybe it doesn't cater to people who don't like the post SFAM output very much, but I don't know why those people would bother buying the DVD anyway. And Budokan really makes up for every one of Score's downfalls.  

That's the cool thing about the DT DVDs.  Between Score, Budokan, LSFNY, LiT/OIALT, and CiM, there really is something for every walk to DT fandom.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2010, 02:58:28 PM »
I was at the show, it was my first ever DT show after loving them since 1992, and TALW was the only time during either set that I sat down.  It was a huge letdown. 

But everything else was amazing.  And frankly, I can't imagine them performing at a higher level than they did that night.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2010, 03:18:24 PM »
That's more along the lines of most of the responses I saw at the time.  I'm really glad they did all of SDOIT.  Aside from it being my favorite song, it hadn't yet shown up on any live release at that time (we didn't have Bucharest yet), so I was really excited that they decided to play it.  I remember a few days before the show when they brought out two of the movements of SDOIT they hadn't yet played, and I told Hef, "watch, they're going to play the whole thing at RCMH!"  I remember watching my phone in anticipation during the show as 9:00 kept texting me the set as each song was played.  Once they got into the third movement of SDOIT, I knew they were going to go straight through, and I was stoked waiting for the inevitable DVD.  Vacant, with orchestra was incredible.  Octavarium is in most fans' top 10, and Metropolis is always a favorite.  So, really, yeah, the only down point is TALW (and I know some people don't like SS, but I'm glad they did it with the orchestra--already amazing song was even more amazing).  It's just a shame they didn't have a few more minutes to play around with.  Even though it's already on a DVD, it would have been great to get SOC with the orchestra after Vacant.  But they would have still needed another good 7-8 minutes even if they cut TALW.  Oh well.  Still a great set.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 05:54:45 PM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2010, 03:21:19 PM »
Set-list wise, it's not my favourite DVD. A great shame is that some songs of 6DOIT are already in Budokan, and I know that MP still hits his head for that while playing drums.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:07:25 PM by emindead »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2010, 05:50:26 PM »
Yeah.  I really wish I could have been at the show, but that was really before I started going to concerts.  I remember when it happened and when the DVD came out, though, and what bosk and hef are saying is pretty much what I remember most people saying after the show and after the DVD came out.  Well, that and wondering if LaBrie was overdubbed. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2010, 07:08:08 PM »
Actually, TALW was one of the second set parts that didn't bother me.  The orchestra actually added something to it.  As for 6D, I had already seen that in Dallas on the previous tour, so it was certainly not my first choice.  And after the overture, the orchestra really didn't add much. 

I do remember being disappointed that SoC didn't follow. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2010, 01:41:15 AM »
I am listening to SDOIT off Score right now, and I am  :biggrin: because
1.  I was there as they played this song
2.  Because I remember that monumental moment during this song when the curtains rose and there beheld an orchestra

Combine this with the thought of seeing them at MSG in a few months, makes me want to join hands with those of you who were also there and just simply appreciate that magical night of pure musical euphoria

what can i say, the only thing i can do is to envy you, :D
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2010, 01:44:20 AM »
oh, besides, it's until i watched score that i realized "innocence faded" can be sung by a real voice.
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2010, 01:51:12 AM »
I am listening to SDOIT off Score right now, and I am  :biggrin: because
1.  I was there as they played this song
2.  Because I remember that monumental moment during this song when the curtains rose and there beheld an orchestra

Combine this with the thought of seeing them at MSG in a few months, makes me want to join hands with those of you who were also there and just simply appreciate that magical night of pure musical euphoria

what can i say, the only thing i can do is to envy you, :D

finally....ok, the thread can be locked now

:biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »
The orchestra added a lot to 6DOIT, Sacrificed Sons, Octavarium, and TALW which is why they probably chose to play it
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2010, 02:06:02 PM »
The orchestra added a lot to 6DOIT, Sacrificed Sons, Octavarium, and TALW which is why they probably chose to play it
Really?

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2010, 03:17:43 AM »
I love the orchestra on metropolis.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2010, 11:18:21 AM »
I agree the orchestra added a lot to Metropolis.

However, I was not impressed by their performance on 6DOIT. They seemed under-rehearsed or something, they just weren't very tight, and they were playing (what seemed like) what jordan was already playing. I'd figure if they were going to add an orchestra, they should treat it they way they did metropolis, adding in extra parts that weren't on the CD, not just doubling jordan or something.

I think there's a few bad parts about the show over all.

1. 6DOIT being 1 track, it means I have to skip the whole thing or fastfoward it or something. I don't want to hear overture THAT often.
2. Songs like TALW, Vacant, SS and such, just didn't much. I mean, vacant maybe, but the rest not at all.
3. Octavarium having that 2 hour jack off session of an intro. It was long enough on the CD, did they REALLY need to expand it that much?

Aside from that it was great. The first half was good, and the performance was amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2010, 10:36:38 PM »
Score was probably my favorite Dream Theater show that I've ever been too.

Overall, I liked it more than Roseland in 2000, The two Beacon shows in 2002, The Theater at MSG show in 2004. I think I even liked it more than 11/14/89 when they opened for Marillion.

I loved the set too. I don't think there was one song at Radio City that I didn't want to hear, maybe Another Won I could have done without even recognizing its historical importance.

I'm not sure I'd say the set was better than Roseland or the Beacon shows only because there was more music at those shows, but the vibe in that place was unbelieveable (and the DVD does a super job at getting that across).

The only other time I felt a vibe more unbelieveable than that was Rush's opening show in Hartford in 2002.

I still can't decide if I like The Spirit Carries On from 2000 with the choir (I'd love to hear more with the choir, that was pure genius) or the one with Petrucci's guitar solo at Radio City.

Score was an incredibly special show. I remember thinking it would be nearly impossible to top that show and based on the shows I've been to since, I don't think they have, but I think James and the band keep honing their craft in a live setting.

MSG will no doubt be special for the band, but I don't think it's on the same scale for me as a fan.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2010, 07:46:59 AM »
I agree the orchestra added a lot to Metropolis.

However, I was not impressed by their performance on 6DOIT. They seemed under-rehearsed or something, they just weren't very tight, and they were playing (what seemed like) what jordan was already playing. I'd figure if they were going to add an orchestra, they should treat it they way they did metropolis, adding in extra parts that weren't on the CD, not just doubling jordan or something.

I think there's a few bad parts about the show over all.

1. 6DOIT being 1 track, it means I have to skip the whole thing or fastfoward it or something. I don't want to hear overture THAT often.
2. Songs like TALW, Vacant, SS and such, just didn't much. I mean, vacant maybe, but the rest not at all.
3. Octavarium having that 2 hour jack off session of an intro. It was long enough on the CD, did they REALLY need to expand it that much?

Aside from that it was great. The first half was good, and the performance was amazing.

Totally agree on point 3. Heck, they could have squeezed another short song in somewhere if they hadn't felt it necessary to give Jordan so much time on that intro.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2010, 08:13:11 AM »
Well, I didn't go to RCMH, but I did see them in Boston 2 nights earlier. I figured when they opened the second set with About To Crash, WIMH, & TTTSTA, they were doing the entire 6 D's in NY.

As far as the Score video goes, I've been reading about some people's disappointment that Sacrificed Sons was included. It shouldn't have been a surprise considering it was played the entire tour....But the point I wanted to make about it, is in the video, during the instrumental part, it seemed as though the band collectively let out a giant exhale. It's an incredible moment on the DVD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »
Well, I didn't go to RCMH, but I did see them in Boston 2 nights earlier. I figured when they opened the second set with About To Crash, WIMH, & TTTSTA, they were doing the entire 6 D's in NY.

That was my exact worry.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2010, 11:55:15 AM »
Did anyone see take the time on the octavarium tour? on MP.com it says they played it a couple times before RCMH.