Author Topic: RCMH  (Read 23825 times)

Offline Sycsa

Re: RCMH
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2013, 12:01:04 AM »
I've been tempted to click on this thread for a few days now, but I didn't know what RCMH stood for.  Finally, I got it.  Radio City Music Hall.
Thanks, I thought I'd never figure it out.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2018, 01:53:24 PM »
I recently rewatched Score, and decided to revive this thread instead of opening a new one to mindlessly rave about it(Given this is the thread linked to in the Index Of Albums & Songs sticky, I assume that's the correct proceedure?). Goddamn is Score good. James is on fire to a degree you won't see on pretty much any other DT live release, the setlist is ridiculous and amazing, it sounds really great, Vacant with an orchestra is perfection, and if it wasn't for When Dream And Day Reunite, this would be the definitive performance of Metropolis Pt. 1.
This has always been my favourite live DVD, and watching it again after not having seen it in several months reaffirmed that for me very strongly. :)

Awesome DVD. Only thing that wasn't so great is that I noticed a lot of macroblocking... Poor DVD can't handle all the moving bright colours and lights. :lol
I suppose there is also the minor audio issues with James's mic; sounds like for some verses and such he's holding it too close to his face, or they lost the feed on the recording of his pre-compression vocals or something, or the reverb filter went temporarily insane... Still, fairly minor technical issues, I suppose.

I do wish they'd reissue this on Blu-Ray. Score in HD would be :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
... Y'know, actually I do legitimately wonder why they haven't done that, now that I think about it... They did it for Budokan seven years ago, so you'd they'd have done Score already...
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2023, 05:47:32 PM »
I really want to love this live album but the setlist just baffles me. I get that they wanted to include some deep cuts as well as songs that hadn't made previous live albums but there were some other shows from this tour with significantly better setlists.

Here's one of my favorite DT boots, Paris 6 Oct 2005:

1. The Root of All Evil
2. Never Enough
3. Another Won
4. Afterlife
5. Under a Glass Moon
6. The Mirror
7. Lie
8. Raise the Knife
9. Peruvian jam/
10. Peruvian Skies (w/ Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd) and Wherever I May Roam (Metallica))
11. Home
~~~intermission~~~
12. The Glass Prison
13. This Dying Soul
14. I Walk Beside You
15. Sacrificed Sons
16. Octavarium
~~~encore~~~
17. The Spirit Carries On
18. Learning To Live (w/ extended instrumental section)

It swaps out Innocence Faded for Mirror/Lie, adds Peruvian Skies while keeping Raising the Knife, adds Home while keeping The Spirit, swaps out SDOIT for Glass Prison (I can understand wanting to have all of SDOIT on one live album however), swaps Vacant for This Dying Soul, and cuts The Answer Lies Within (probably the worst track off 8VM). It also throws in Never Enough and Learning to Live for good measure. Why the hell was THIS show or a show with a comparable setlist not their 20th anniversary live album??

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2023, 05:52:03 PM »
Royal Canadian Mounted Hosers?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2023, 06:24:08 PM »
I agree on the setlist, as cool as the orchestra was I didn't care for the entirety of Six Degrees, especially since a large chunk of it was on Budokan.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2023, 06:24:53 PM »
I agree on the setlist, as cool as the orchestra was I didn't care for the entirety of Six Degrees, especially since a large chunk of it was on Budokan.

Which is why I only ever listen to Disc 1 of Score.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2023, 06:26:39 PM »
Were you at the show Tim?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2023, 06:27:05 PM »
Were you at the show Tim?

No, I saw them in Boston the night before.

That was a great tour. The boots from the tour are amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2023, 06:30:22 PM »
I never checked them out, any particular shows you'd recommend?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2023, 06:42:20 PM »
I never checked them out, any particular shows you'd recommend?

Wow, there's so many. I'd have to look through what I have. It's actually been a while since I ran through them.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2023, 11:18:37 PM »
The setlist was perfect for the show. I'd managed to work out what they were going to play in advance, it was pretty well signposted, and I think I was spot on in the end.

Was listening to a bootleg of the Score show recently and James was very good that night.

And yes, that was one hell of a tour. That was the Dream Theater I loved.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2023, 07:30:55 AM »
Definitely a great tour, and a ton of fantastic bootlegs.

I have a few quibbles with the setlist, but it was a great show, and the first DT show I ever attended.  Incredible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2023, 09:22:58 AM »
Why the hell was THIS show or a show with a comparable setlist not their 20th anniversary live album??
Because of incorporating the orchestra and time limits. IIRC, there were some shows on that tour that were notably longer than the Score show, and even though MP timed everything as best as possible, they still ran 3 minutes over curfew at the Score show! But especially given the fact that they were doing the second part of the show with the orchestra, trying to play TGP and TDS with an orchestra really wouldn't work. OTOH, with SDoIT, Vacant and TALW, it did.

That being said, I agree - there were many other shows from that tour where I preferred the setlist to the one from Score. I think my personal favorite of a single setlist was the Philly show, although even then I would've probably wanted to mix'n'match some other songs instead.

Even MP acknowledged this himself in that he regretted including so much of SDoIT in the Budokan setlist in retrospect. But at the time he put together the Budokan setlist, he didn't have the Score show in mind.

And yes, that was one hell of a tour. That was the Dream Theater I loved.
I agree Paul - it marked the end of an era, even with MP.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2023, 01:46:03 PM »
I really want to love this live album but the setlist just baffles me. I get that they wanted to include some deep cuts as well as songs that hadn't made previous live albums but there were some other shows from this tour with significantly better setlists.

It swaps out Innocence Faded for Mirror/Lie, adds Peruvian Skies while keeping Raising the Knife, adds Home while keeping The Spirit, swaps out SDOIT for Glass Prison (I can understand wanting to have all of SDOIT on one live album however), swaps Vacant for This Dying Soul, and cuts The Answer Lies Within (probably the worst track off 8VM). It also throws in Never Enough and Learning to Live for good measure. Why the hell was THIS show or a show with a comparable setlist not their 20th anniversary live album??

IMO, swapping IF for Mirror/Lie is, at best, an even swap.  Those are my three least favorite songs on Awake.  I don't like Peruvian Skies either.  SDOIT >>>>>>> TGP - especially with the orchestra.  Losing Vacant for TDS is a big negative, and losing TALW for Never Enough is an even bigger negative.  The only good changes are adding Home and LTL.

As far as the album, I've never owned Score, the album - but I do have the DVD.  While I don't like some of the song choices (as expressed in a rather extensive thread that I think Bosk started a couple years ago), it is, all in all, an incredible setlist.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2023, 09:29:30 PM »

I do wish they'd reissue this on Blu-Ray. Score in HD would be :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
... Y'know, actually I do legitimately wonder why they haven't done that, now that I think about it... They did it for Budokan seven years ago, so you'd they'd have done Score already...
I've been wondering the same thing. Score is definitely as definitive as Budokon and deserves the blue laser treatment.. 💫
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2023, 09:35:13 AM »
Score is definitely as definitive. . . .

Not to mention especially special!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2023, 11:13:54 AM »
I saw the final three shows on this tour, and it was an incredible experience. Between the shows I saw, only three songs were played thrice.

In hindsight, maybe the Boston show was the best. Incredible versions of songs not on Score... Take the Time, Wait for Sleep, Learning to Live, Strange Deja Vu, Endless Sacrifice, A Fortune In Lies.... just an unreal setlist, and they were on fire in 2006 performance-wise.

But RCMH was my favorite show I've ever been to. I personally LOVED the setlist. As a newer fan at the time, it was my first time seeing a lot of that setlist. And many songs, they have not performed again: Another Won, Innocence Faded, Raise the Knife, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (in full), and the rest of Act 2.

As many have said already, this was a special moment for the band, and they were at the very top of their game and career. It's never been the same since, though I've enjoyed everything they've done after.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2023, 04:28:13 PM »
Yeah, take The Time was phenominal.

James was fantastic for this show, but my main memory was him and MP fighting during the first set. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2023, 05:09:52 PM »
Oh man fill us in, what was happening?

Offline Kram

« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2023, 05:42:23 PM »
Oh man fill us in, what was happening?
Yes, details please!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2023, 05:53:22 PM »
MP was pissed off about something. I'm not sure if it was his monitors. He kept mouthing something angrily to someone off stage (JP's side). Whatever he was pissed off about seemed to have something to do with James. At one point James went towards the drums and you could tell they were having words. Another point James was going off for an instrumental section and MP yelled something at him, and James kind of waved his hand at him as if to say FU. And MP was shaking his head. All while the band was playing.

We were sitting in the second row in the balcony right above JP, so we were looking right down on MP. My wife, who during these years was buying me presents off of MP.com, was saying that he's acting like a big fucking baby, and I'm never buying you anything from his website again. :lol

Maybe Kev or Scotty or anyone else there remembers such a thing. Whatever was going on, it was smoothed out for the second set.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2023, 06:08:59 PM »
Score is definitely as definitive. . . .

Not to mention especially special!
  :lol

And equally as equal !   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2023, 06:18:26 PM »
MP was pissed off about something. I'm not sure if it was his monitors. He kept mouthing something angrily to someone off stage (JP's side). Whatever he was pissed off about seemed to have something to do with James. At one point James went towards the drums and you could tell they were having words. Another point James was going off for an instrumental section and MP yelled something at him, and James kind of waved his hand at him as if to say FU. And MP was shaking his head. All while the band was playing.

We were sitting in the second row in the balcony right above JP, so we were looking right down on MP. My wife, who during these years was buying me presents off of MP.com, was saying that he's acting like a big fucking baby, and I'm never buying you anything from his website again. :lol

Maybe Kev or Scotty or anyone else there remembers such a thing. Whatever was going on, it was smoothed out for the second set.

I've seen MP in various projects including DT and he definitely seems like he can have his moods, I felt like he was being a bit of a dick to his tech during the last winery dogs show but he could've just been messing around.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2023, 08:48:05 PM »
I don't remember hearing about that incident, but then again there were so many with Mike Portnoy back in the day that it's hard to remember them all.  :lol :lol

But hey, I suck at stress management these days, so I can sorta relate.  :eek :facepalm:

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2023, 12:51:02 AM »
Yeah. Hooman's gonna hooman, and Mike'a a passionate chap.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2023, 06:16:55 AM »
Yeah. Hooman's gonna hooman, and Mike'a a passionate chap.

Yeah he’s pretty OCD too, so if something’s off he can’t ignore it.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2023, 01:06:44 PM »

I was at that show (actually, I went to the last 4 20th Anniversary shows), but I don't remember that specific incident. Not that it didn't happen. While I don't remember him getting mad at JL, I remember being at the 2002 show in San Diego where JL didn't come back out to the front of the stage to take a final bow at the end of their set. And I also remember an occasion (although not which specific show) where MP was clearly mad at one of the 2007 east coast shows, I'm assuming because the video (for ItPoE2) wasn't in sync with the music. So yeah, he's a passionate chap that wants the show to be perfect.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2023, 07:38:36 AM »
Why the hell was THIS show or a show with a comparable setlist not their 20th anniversary live album??
Because of incorporating the orchestra and time limits. IIRC, there were some shows on that tour that were notably longer than the Score show, and even though MP timed everything as best as possible, they still ran 3 minutes over curfew at the Score show! But especially given the fact that they were doing the second part of the show with the orchestra, trying to play TGP and TDS with an orchestra really wouldn't work. OTOH, with SDoIT, Vacant and TALW, it did.

That being said, I agree - there were many other shows from that tour where I preferred the setlist to the one from Score. I think my personal favorite of a single setlist was the Philly show, although even then I would've probably wanted to mix'n'match some other songs instead.

I remember this being discussed endlessly at the time, and while most of us LOVED the set that they played, we tried monkeying around with it within the strictures of what they were trying to accomplish, and there really just wasn't much they could have done differently once they decided on SDOIT being in the set. 

To this day, I'm satisfied with the Score set.  In retrospect, the one thing I might have changed to make it a more complete product representing the 20th anniversary tour would be, not to change the set from that show in any way, but to include a bonus additional show that had a different set, like the Paris set, for example.  Or maybe just a collection of different songs from the tour from other shows.  Maybe keep the standard edition as-is, but do more of a box set special edition with the additional material or something.  That would have been cool. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2023, 09:20:54 AM »
I like that idea, but we did get the Live In Santiago DVD   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2023, 09:33:58 AM »
Yes, that's true.  So we basically did get what I was describing--just in two separate pieces.  I had forgotten about that.  Still not my favorite set list from that tour, but still some great tracks that supplement what was on Score.

EDIT:  Also, we got some good bonus tracks on the DVD as well:  Another Day, The Great Debate, and Honor Thy Father.  So the tour is actually documented quite well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2023, 05:08:09 PM »
Yes, that's true.  So we basically did get what I was describing--just in two separate pieces.  I had forgotten about that.  Still not my favorite set list from that tour, but still some great tracks that supplement what was on Score.

EDIT:  Also, we got some good bonus tracks on the DVD as well:  Another Day, The Great Debate, and Honor Thy Father.  So the tour is actually documented quite well.

Plus there's a ton of great sounding bootlegs. That really was a great tour.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2023, 01:45:23 PM »

I was at that show (actually, I went to the last 4 20th Anniversary shows), but I don't remember that specific incident. Not that it didn't happen. While I don't remember him getting mad at JL, I remember being at the 2002 show in San Diego where JL didn't come back out to the front of the stage to take a final bow at the end of their set. And I also remember an occasion (although not which specific show) where MP was clearly mad at one of the 2007 east coast shows, I'm assuming because the video (for ItPoE2) wasn't in sync with the music. So yeah, he's a passionate chap that wants the show to be perfect.

If they would've used a click to sync the video back then, they wouldn't have to worry about the video not being in sync.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2023, 12:26:25 AM »

If they would've used a click to sync the video back then, they wouldn't have to worry about the video not being in sync.  :lol
...or they could've just made sure the video guy kept everything synced up with what was happening on stage - you know like how Rush did it. (What would Rush do, right?)  ;)