6 (5.4%)
Songwriting
4 (3.6%)
Everything
84 (75.7%)
Fine the way it is
3 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: Who wants more JMX?  (Read 8211 times)

Offline EasterDavy

Re: Who wants more JMX?
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 03:02:17 PM »
I'm pretty disappointed with JM's recent output.  He used to write such great basslines and was actually quite interesting to listen to.  This recent trend of him doubling JP and JR writing for him has really started to annoy me lately.  Often times when I'm listening to the newer albums I completely forget he's there and it's so disappointing because he used to be such a standout member of the band for me.  I also honestly think he's the best lyricist in the band and the whole "properly structured lyrics" rule is just bullshit.  I really hope that he'll become a part of the DT writing process again someday but I don't really think it's ever going to happen.    
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:00:30 PM by EasterDavy »

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 03:03:32 PM »

I don't know where it comes from, but I prefer the cleaner, more pure bass sound he used on I&W and FII, which, by the way, made a very interesting counterpoint to the heavy guitar riffs imo.
Definitely. That´s the standard we´ll always measure JM against.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 03:04:55 PM »
I love the bass mix in Score
The mix is very good and Score includes many songs that showcase JM´s strenghts.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 05:33:57 PM »
I can hear the bass just fine on every DT record excluding WDADU which I don't have.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 06:08:57 PM »
I take it your EQ settings have a certain, err, "descent " from the left to the right?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 06:53:38 PM »
moar JMX plz

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2010, 11:17:24 AM »
I think there's enough low end in the bass in the recordings. The problem is the lack of high end. If they add more high end into the mix, you'll be able to hear the punch and clarity in JM's playing.

Possibly, but I think playing with a pick on the low strings on the heavier songs could provide more low end.

Hmm... playing with a pick would only give it more attack. The low end is usually always there isn't it? DT's current mixes have enough low end, I think people actually want more high end when they say they want more JMX.
I think at the end, the option in the poll should be "distinct basslines that allow JM to be heard" instead of "more volume in the mix"

I agree with this. As I said many times before, the problem is not the bass volume itself. It's rather a combination of doubling the guitar lines (sometimes keyboard lines) and using an unhealthy amount of distortion/overdrive. Also, now that JM uses a MM Bongo bass (which has a much bigger bottom end than his Yamaha basses), he almost wastes its potential by creating a sound full of distortion since it amplifies the mids and low highs and cuts down the bottom end quite a bit.

I don't know where it comes from, but I prefer the cleaner, more pure bass sound he used on I&W and FII, which, by the way, made a very interesting counterpoint to the heavy guitar riffs imo.

Also, what sometimes irks me is that JR is sometimes playing in the same octave as JM (mostly during the heavy songs), which takes up even more space that actually belongs to the bass player. But that's kind of a different chapter.

I think all of you are right. Every last one of you.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2010, 11:55:15 AM »
I think there's enough low end in the bass in the recordings. The problem is the lack of high end. If they add more high end into the mix, you'll be able to hear the punch and clarity in JM's playing.

Possibly, but I think playing with a pick on the low strings on the heavier songs could provide more low end.

Hmm... playing with a pick would only give it more attack. The low end is usually always there isn't it? DT's current mixes have enough low end, I think people actually want more high end when they say they want more JMX.
I think at the end, the option in the poll should be "distinct basslines that allow JM to be heard" instead of "more volume in the mix"

I agree with this. As I said many times before, the problem is not the bass volume itself. It's rather a combination of doubling the guitar lines (sometimes keyboard lines) and using an unhealthy amount of distortion/overdrive. Also, now that JM uses a MM Bongo bass (which has a much bigger bottom end than his Yamaha basses), he almost wastes its potential by creating a sound full of distortion since it amplifies the mids and low highs and cuts down the bottom end quite a bit.

Also, what sometimes irks me is that JR is sometimes playing in the same octave as JM (mostly during the heavy songs), which takes up even more space that actually belongs to the bass player. But that's kind of a different chapter.

I think all of you are right. Every last one of you.
 :hefdaddy

QFT

Offline TL

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2010, 12:13:49 PM »
It would definitely be great to hear more JMX. Maybe if the new Jelly Jam album happens, it will inspire him to be more active in DT again.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »
I'd love for him to be more involved everywhere, but right now it would be better to hear that "pure bass" sound you hear on albums like I&W, FII, SFAM, and 6DoiT.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2010, 02:51:57 PM »
Everything.  9:50 Lines in the Sand.  I miss that sort of stuff. I want it again.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2010, 04:39:18 PM »
Everything.  9:50 Lines in the Sand.  I miss that sort of stuff. I want it again.

I love that part. I almost had a heart attack when I heard it. It came out of fucking NOWHERE