Poll

Are you interested in seeing this tour?

Yes
No
Not coming to my area/country/continent

Author Topic: Are you interested in seeing DT and Maiden? (Go to page 2 for update)  (Read 15142 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Are you interested in seeing DT and Maiden? (Go to page 2 for update)
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2010, 11:42:51 PM »
Not coming to my continent, but if they were I'd be standing there with my willy out.

And I would stay clear of whatever arena you are in.

By "willy" he means vagina, and by "out" he means infested with rabid crabs.

Oh wait, good idea olol.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2010, 11:50:52 PM »
I ticked "not coming to my continent", but I would have definitely been interested.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2010, 12:04:22 AM »
Sorry for the original badly worded failpoll everyone. :-(

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2010, 01:57:18 AM »
Sorry for the original badly worded failpoll everyone. :-(
Well, Rob did mention his pole,
Not coming to my continent, but if they were I'd be standing there with my willy out.
so it's not a total fail.

Online Mladen

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2010, 01:59:58 AM »
If they came to south-eastern Europe, I would certainly be there, because it would be the best show EVER.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2010, 06:21:01 AM »
i was convinced to see maiden when I was younger...and was blown away by the energy. Im not saying Rumby's wrong..certianly their music is very ordinary...it's just hard NOT to have a good time at a maiden show. And with DT there too...Im jacked.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2010, 06:27:42 AM »
To the people saying Maiden is stereotypical metal, they're the originators of it. Also, listen to Steve Harris, he plays sixteen note triplets like constantly, with only two fingers. For those who don't play bass, that takes a lot of practice and endurance.
gone

Online Dream Team

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2010, 06:58:06 AM »
Maiden's first 7 albums are the Royal Flush of metal. There's nothing we can do to convince people of that if they don't already get it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2010, 07:17:53 AM »
To the people saying Maiden is stereotypical metal, they're the originators of it. Also, listen to Steve Harris, he plays sixteen note triplets like constantly, with only two fingers. For those who don't play bass, that takes a lot of practice and endurance.

:lol
Playing sixteenths has now become a sign for good music.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2010, 08:01:14 AM »
I'm happy DT decided to do a summer tour and I feel fortunate that they are coming to Denver, CO. I skipped the Progressive Nation Tour in the hopes they would tour. After MP's announcement about not touring in the summer, I was bummed.

I'm hoping to land stage seats for the event because Fiddler's Green is pretty crappy if you're not in those seats.

My preference would have been Red Rocks. I don't understand why why IM booking/PR team doesn't get them at a cooler venue. Concert music played by the bands has to end at 11PM sharp due to city code. How retarded is that?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:40:46 AM by Bone_Daddy »

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2010, 08:07:59 AM »
and Im sure it's old..but I just found out about this one too

https://www.geg.ca/geg_newsletters/2010/03/heavymtl_presale/heavymtl_fr.html
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2010, 08:34:28 AM »
Now I understand the FotD/Mandy pole.  Pretty disappointing, honestly.  Maidens written some pretty intelligent music, and you pick a fairly weak anthem-type to judge them by.  It'd be like comparing DT to another band on the basis of You Not Me, just to make them look cheesy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2010, 08:47:45 AM »
In all seriousness though, I never understood the excitement of people for Maiden. I mean, it's not bad music, but to me it's just fairly generic metal. Simple chords, up-tempo, high-pitched vocals. Coming from the prog side of things, there's almost zero allure for Maiden for me.

rumborak

Since you are "coming from the prog side of things", I can understand how Maiden might not thrill you.  Out of curiosity, are you a fan of any straight-ahead metal bands at all, i.e. metal bands without the prog? 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2010, 08:52:42 AM »
In all seriousness though, I never understood the excitement of people for Maiden. I mean, it's not bad music, but to me it's just fairly generic metal. Simple chords, up-tempo, high-pitched vocals. Coming from the prog side of things, there's almost zero allure for Maiden for me.

rumborak

Since you are "coming from the prog side of things", I can understand how Maiden might not thrill you.  Out of curiosity, are you a fan of any straight-ahead metal bands at all, i.e. metal bands without the prog?  

Not really, no. Same with Metallica for me, even though I like the Black album of theirs since it combines good songwriting with metal. That's why I like Dream Theater, because they combine metal with prog and good songwriting. Straight metal a la Dio, Iron Maiden etc. doesn't hold my attention very long. Just like CGI movies don't hold my attention if they don't have a good plot.

rumborak

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2010, 09:41:44 AM »
I think I'll chime in as one of the few bothered people.  I guess it's cool for DT, I guess.  These are 2 of my favorite bands, but combining them on the same bill doesn't help me one bit.  If DT had done the regular tour that they said they were going to do, I'd see them 3 times in Texas, and tickets would be affordable.  I'd see Maiden once, maybe twice; their setlist is carved in stone so multiple dates doesn't hole too much appeal. This way, I'll get shortened DT sets, and have to pay out the ass (see the TM thread) for each date.  Unlike DT shows where great seats are affordable, I'll probably settle for nosebleed, and because of the presence of Maiden, it'll be expensive as fuck and make a third DT show cost-prohibitive. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2010, 10:07:23 AM »
This thread sucks.

For the record, I am neither interested nor bothered.  But I'm happy for DT and for all the fans of both bands, because it should be an awesome show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »
They are not coming to my continent but I AM interested in going!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2010, 10:10:55 AM »
What the crap is Danananananaykroyd, hef?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2010, 10:14:17 AM »
I don't remember.  I think I got them in one of the rounds of Track of the Day.  I'll check it out and get back to you.  But basically, I ran across it in Winamp, went "What's this?" and listened to it.

Thanks for taking an interest.  :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »
This thread sucks.

For the record, I am neither interested nor bothered.  But I'm happy for DT and for all the fans of both bands, because it should be an awesome show.

Absolutely this. Maiden lay down an awesome show (I saw the recent movie about them in the theaters), and for people into their music, I can totally understand how they will expect Jesus to headbang in the second row of those concerts.

It's just been a bad DT week for me. A new tune that does little for me, and a tour I'm not going to go to.

rumborak

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »
Does anyone else feel this way: My roommate is shocked that Dream Theater is opening for Maiden because DT is technically more impressive than Maiden. I mean to me, in the real world, Maiden is easily more popular and will draw more people. I dunno I'm just baffled how someone can even question that. That's like saying Metallica should open for Scale The Summit because STS plays more complicated shit. No, it doesn't work like that.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »
Does anyone else feel this way: My roommate is shocked that Dream Theater is opening for Maiden because DT is technically more impressive than Maiden. I mean to me, in the real world, Maiden is easily more popular and will draw more people. I dunno I'm just baffled how someone can even question that. That's like saying Metallica should open for Scale The Summit because STS plays more complicated shit. No, it doesn't work like that.

What???  you mean that pure technicality isn't the sole measure of music's worth or enjoyability???  ONOEZ!!!!11!!!11
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2010, 11:25:07 AM »
Forgetting about technical abilities, I'm sure that there are plenty of people who think that DT's stage performance could potentially blow Maiden's away.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2010, 11:29:14 AM »

Yeah, your roommate is off his rocker if he thinks it should be the other way around.  At best, I could see considering it a co-headlining tour, but even if both of them were designated as "co-headliners," Maiden should still get the top billing and the closing set each night, no question.  I don't see how that is even open for debate.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »
I'm with you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »
Maiden can pull in 12,000 a night while DT pulls in 3000.  That is why Dt is the opening act. 

Are they adding more shows?  I'd love to see a New england date.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2010, 11:46:07 AM »
This thread sucks.

For the record, I am neither interested nor bothered.  But I'm happy for DT and for all the fans of both bands, because it should be an awesome show.

Absolutely this. Maiden lay down an awesome show (I saw the recent movie about them in the theaters), and for people into their music, I can totally understand how they will expect Jesus to headbang in the second row of those concerts.

It's just been a bad DT week for me. A new tune that does little for me, and a tour I'm not going to go to.

rumborak

I can definitely relate, except it's been a bad couple of years for me.  Their last Dallas show wasn't bad, but it's gotten harder and harder for me to be a huge DT fan.
E.F. Benson

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2010, 05:38:56 PM »
I'm crying that I'm not going to see Iron Maiden now, let alone with DT. :sadpanda:

I hope all you guys have fun though!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2010, 06:00:24 PM »

Did he see ZPZ open for DT on PN09?

And props to nick for fixing a thread full of fail.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »
No I'm more intrested in some ants moving some tiny bits of sugar somewhere on the opposite side of the world.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2010, 03:00:54 AM »
Not really a Maiden fan so no, I want a full 2 hour+ DT only concert bring back the Evening With shows back!

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2010, 04:26:03 AM »
Not really a Maiden fan so no, I want a full 2 hour+ DT only concert bring back the Evening With shows back!

I found that after 2.5 hours I became bored, hell I heard all the songs a thousand times.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2010, 04:36:32 AM »
I'm happy for DT and for all the fans of both bands, because it should be an awesome show.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2010, 04:39:51 AM »
I don't remember.  I think I got them in one of the rounds of Track of the Day.  I'll check it out and get back to you.  But basically, I ran across it in Winamp, went "What's this?" and listened to it.

Thanks for taking an interest.  :biggrin:
OK, after further research, they are a band from Scotland, and I didn't get it from Track of the Day.  I suppose I got it as a free mp3 from Amazon.com, because it's the only song from them I have.  But it's neat.  It's kind of pop-hardcore.

Offline TL

« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
I'm definitely looking forward to this. Sure, yet again neither of these bands seems to know that Halifax exists (Ozzy was here not too long ago, and actually added a second show due to demand. Both were almost immediately sold out). Luckily, it's happening during prime roadtrip season anyway, and I love visiting Montreal.
Also, some of my friends who aren't into DT enough to travel to Montreal to see them have already agreed to go since they're also big IM fans.