Poll

Are you interested in seeing this tour?

Yes
No
Not coming to my area/country/continent

Author Topic: Are you interested in seeing DT and Maiden? (Go to page 2 for update)  (Read 15137 times)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
Re: Are you bothered about DT and Maiden?
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 06:16:50 PM »
I voted "No" and then read the question inside the topic and it said interested.  This is the worst poll ever.

This was me.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »
I voted "No" and then read the question inside the topic and it said interested.  This is the worst poll ever.

This was me.
That was me.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 07:05:10 PM »
Heck yes im interested! :2metal:

Offline tnphelps

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »
Yes. I'm bothered by the selection of cities for this tour. No FLA dates.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »
No I'm not bothered and No I'm not interested. I don't like Iron Maiden at all, but I'm not in the US so it doesn't affect me.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 07:59:41 PM »
I don't like Iron Maiden at all
Man, you guys are really forgetful when it comes to changing the font color to sarcasm green

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Are you interested in seeing DT and Maiden? (Go to page 2 for update)
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »
I've reset the poll and made the post and poll make more sense, because as it was it was full of fail.

And I know fail when I see it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 08:15:42 PM »
First one to answer:

And the answer is YES  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
Iron Maiden is at the excitement level as Barry Manilow for me, so the tour is no-go for me.
Hmm, I feel like putting "Mandy" on. Or "Fear of the dark". Mandy, Fear of the dark?! I can't decide!!

EDIT: Put on Mandy.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
How do you guys always remember to use sarcastic green?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 08:28:07 PM »
In all seriousness though, I never understood the excitement of people for Maiden. I mean, it's not bad music, but to me it's just fairly generic metal. Simple chords, up-tempo, high-pitched vocals. Coming from the prog side of things, there's almost zero allure for Maiden for me.

rumborak

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 08:28:48 PM »
Iron Maiden is at the excitement level as Barry Manilow for me, so the tour is no-go for me.
Hmm, I feel like putting "Mandy" on. Or "Fear of the dark". Mandy, Fear of the dark?! I can't decide!!

EDIT: Put on Mandy.

rumborak

Could... could it actually be?

Rumborak failing?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 08:50:46 PM »
I agree with Rumborak even though I do enjoy some songs from Maiden but I'm mainly wanting to see DT when they come here.

My Opinion: Maiden should open for DT, but that'd only be in a crazy, warped universe where bands with more talent and interesting music get to headline concerts.

:)

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 08:54:52 PM »
Even if that were true, Maiden are a much better live band than Dream Theater.

DT are good, make no mistake; but Maiden live are an absolute powerhouse.  Historically, they've usually outplayed bands that they've opened for.  Just look at what ended up happening at Ozzfest.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »
This thread is starting to fail really badly  :facepalm:

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 09:03:25 PM »
In all seriousness though, I never understood the excitement of people for Maiden. I mean, it's not bad music, but to me it's just fairly generic metal. Simple chords, up-tempo, high-pitched vocals. Coming from the prog side of things, there's almost zero allure for Maiden for me.

rumborak

The same could be said about, and often is, Judas Preist, Dio ect. ect... The problem with this train of thought is the lack of historical perspective. These bands invented and popularized a sound that so many that came afterwards mis-used or over used and made the sound "generic".
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I agree with Rumborak even though I do enjoy some songs from Maiden but I'm mainly wanting to see DT when they come here.

My Opinion: Maiden should open for DT, but that'd only be in a crazy, warped universe where bands with more talent and interesting music get to headline concerts.

:)

Agreed. I like Seventh Son a lot but haven't been able to get in to much else. Also I'm sure that Rumby more than agrees with your tiny-font comment after opening for a Tool cover band.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »

DT are good, make no mistake; but Maiden live are an absolute powerhouse.  Historically, they've usually outplayed bands that they've opened for.  Just look at what ended up happening at Ozzfest.

If by 'outplay' you mean Dickinson jumping on the monitors and the Bassist pointing the headstock at the crowd every other song.
Just kidding, I like Maiden.

:hat

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 09:09:42 PM »

If by 'outplay' you mean Dickinson jumping on the monitors and the Bassist pointing the headstock at the crowd every other song.

Actually, some of the best moments about seeing Dickinson in a live setting are his rants.   :metal

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2010, 09:10:54 PM »

That's exactly what I mean.  ;D  It's awesome to see a band in their fifties go fucking nuts on stage and just get completely into it.

At the show I went to, I swear that Dickinson spent maybe like 15 minutes of the 2 hour set still.  There were numerous collisions mid-stage due to running guitarists/bassists/singers.  And every time Dickinson implored the crowd to scream for him, you fucking screamed for him.  It was like getting hit by a speeding train.

Best night of my life.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »

rumborak

The same could be said about, and often is, Judas Preist, Dio ect. ect... The problem with this train of thought is the lack of historical perspective. These bands invented and popularized a sound that so many that came afterwards mis-used or over used and made the sound "generic".

I can't think of another band that sounds like Iron Maiden, to be honest. But, just because they were the first to heavily overuse vi-V-IV, it makes it good again?

rumborak

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »
Oh c'mon, now. You're from Germany originally if I remember right. Havn't you ever heard of Helloween? They were Iron Maiden on speed in the late 80's and early 90's.

Early Metalica, early Fates Warning, The Warning from Queensryche, Leatherwolf, Savatage ect. ect.....There were a million bands that were heavily influenced by them.

I can even hear Maiden in some modern bands like Coheed and A7X.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2010, 09:41:44 PM »
I still don't get your point. Just because other bands were influenced by IM, it must be good?
Plagiarism of the mundane is not exactly unheard of in art history.

rumborak

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2010, 09:47:56 PM »
Saying you can't think of a metal band that sounds like Maiden is like saying you can't think of a metal band that sounds like Sabbath.

Pretty much all of progressive metal had its jumping-off point from Maiden, as well as any band that utilizes more than one guitar that plays different things.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
I still don't get your point. Just because other bands were influenced by IM, it must be good?
Plagiarism of the mundane is not exactly unheard of in art history.

rumborak

Look, I simply pointed out some bands that were influenced by them because you claimed that you never heard anyone that sounded like them. You obviously don't like the band and their music. So be it. What is one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2010, 09:50:56 PM »
I am beyond excited and interested!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2010, 09:51:09 PM »
Pretty much all of progressive metal had its jumping-off point from Maiden, as well as any band that utilizes more than one guitar that plays different things.

Judas Priest was doing that LONG before Iron Maiden hit the scene.  LONG before.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »

Judas Priest was doing that LONG before Iron Maiden hit the scene.  LONG before.

Not in the same way.  Judas Priest of course, had classic guitar-duo, but the interplay was in the solos rather than the riffs.  Maybe I'm missing something (because I don't listen to the first couple of albums that much), but I don't hear the same sort of harmonies as Maiden develop until Screaming for Vengeance or so.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2010, 09:58:29 PM »
Not interested.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2010, 10:01:24 PM »

And so wern't The Yardbirds if you look at it from a certain perspective.

The difference between Preist and Maiden was that Preist had a dominant lead player. Sure, KK played some leads, but Glen was definately the man in that band. Maiden was more of a "two gun" show. Some would argue that they still are considering Janic's lead skills.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2010, 10:04:01 PM »
And besides, you can try to prop up Priest all you want, but everybody knows it was Maiden that gave us the famous line by Bill & Ted:  "Iron Maiden!  Excellent!"  *air-guitar-whiddly-whiddly*

/thread
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »
Well this is a dream come true for me. My two favorite bands playing together. Thy are playing in the town I live in Holmdel NJ and I can see them again the next night in NYC.  I shat my pants this afternoon when I got the news.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2010, 10:19:39 PM »
Not coming to my continent, but if they were I'd be standing there with my willy out.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2010, 10:39:41 PM »
Not coming to my continent, but if they were I'd be standing there with my willy out.

And I would stay clear of whatever arena you are in.