Author Topic: Iron Maiden & Dream Theater - NA Tour (Spoilers in Concert Section Please!)  (Read 85303 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Iron Maiden & Dream Theater - North American Summer Tour!!
« Reply #245 on: March 07, 2010, 07:38:47 PM »
Emindead

ED

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: March 07, 2010, 07:39:52 PM »
EDD & Eddie.

lol, emin was more popular.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #247 on: March 07, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »
Erectile Dysfunction.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #248 on: March 07, 2010, 07:45:57 PM »
Emancipation Declaration

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #249 on: March 07, 2010, 08:22:16 PM »
I'm confused; how can you like Dream Theater, Metallica, and Megadeth, but not like Iron Maiden?

Iron Maiden, to me, always seemed to pander to a specific audience, the "metal dudes".That's one thing I never connected with, especially because their type of "metal" was very different from Metallica's and Megadeth's, which is raw and brutal. IM doesn't have that, but instead has inflatable Eddies and that stuff.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #250 on: March 07, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »
Someone said DT would have 50 minutes on the Maiden forums as well, can't remember who he quoted as his source though.

Good points

I basically agree, depends on a Maiden fan's mindset going in though. On the IM forum the response from those who know DT has generally been pretty positive. And from those unfamiliar with them, they are asking for suggestions to listen to do they have some idea what to expect going in, so they at least aren't blowing them off. I think when you have NO idea what to expect going in, it is harder to be too interesting in an opening act. At least that's been my personal experience.
Hadn't considered people on IM's forum.  Guess that will translate to some new interest.

And I never suggested that it would be a bad thing.  One new fan is more than they would have gotten during a 2010 hiatus.  I just don't buy into the hype that it's such a boon for them. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: March 07, 2010, 09:41:26 PM »
I'm a big fan of both, but do I really want my first DT experience to be a 50-minute opener? :-\

Something to consider carefully, for sure.

Offline chucke

« Reply #252 on: March 07, 2010, 09:53:19 PM »
I have nothing against IM.

If DT plays for only 50 minutes they will have time for only two songs. Octavarium and The presence of Enemies full version.  >:(

I understand that DT does what DT wants, but I think that it is not fair to the fans.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #253 on: March 07, 2010, 09:55:05 PM »

If DT plays for only 50 minutes they will have time for only two songs. Octavarium and The presence of Enemies full version.  >:(

I understand that DT does what DT wants, but I think that it is not fair to the fans.

I still don't get some of the upset here.  DT wasn't planning a summer tour, were they?  So what's the biggie?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #254 on: March 07, 2010, 10:10:23 PM »
oh boo hoo. I could careless what people's opinions about this are, it's still pretty cool that I get to see Dt again after 5 years and with Maiden who i have yet to see live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #255 on: March 07, 2010, 10:13:42 PM »
Yeah, dont go see DT if you find the length is unreasonable.
There are plenty of good tours this year. Spend time on those, and quit your bitchin.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: March 07, 2010, 11:02:14 PM »
I honestly still cant believe this tour is happening.  I always wished these two bands toured together nd now I am able to see it twice.  I am really excited.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #257 on: March 07, 2010, 11:09:30 PM »
yeah, when the speculation of MP's post began to lead this way, I kept thinking, "boy, that would be a dream...but unlikely"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #258 on: March 08, 2010, 04:43:45 AM »

Yes, it's not fair to the fans to play 50 minutes, when they weren't going to play AT ALL.  And they would never play those two songs as an opener.  WTF
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: March 08, 2010, 06:03:03 AM »
I'm confused; how can you like Dream Theater, Metallica, and Megadeth, but not like Iron Maiden?

Iron Maiden, to me, always seemed to pander to a specific audience, the "metal dudes".That's one thing I never connected with, especially because their type of "metal" was very different from Metallica's and Megadeth's, which is raw and brutal. IM doesn't have that, but instead has inflatable Eddies and that stuff.

rumborak
That's funny, since I'm the opposite. I find Metallica outright boring as hell, I can't listen to more than 2-3 songs without thinking, "I wonder what's on TV." or "Maybe I should listen to something better..." and Megadeth is a little bit better, but not much. Iron Maiden on the other hand, they play with intense passion, Steve Harris is my all time favorite bassist, not saying he's the most skilled, he's just my favorite to listen to, and is why I play bass. Sure, the imagery adds to the feel of Maiden, but their music is still great.
gone

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2010, 06:13:40 AM »
I'll tell you what they play with intense passion..
on second thought; I'd rather not :lol
j/k
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #261 on: March 08, 2010, 06:15:19 AM »
Tickets will be bought next week :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #262 on: March 08, 2010, 07:16:54 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I’ve read through this thread. It was tough because this show is a no go for me. It’s just too far. I’m still stunned that Boston or Mansfield didn’t get a show.  Stunned!

Anyway it’s been interesting to read a lot of the comments. As usual, there’s a lot of bitching. It’s easy for me to love this announcement because they are my 2 favorite bands but..

1.   These are the 2 strongest live bands I’ve ever seen. Ever…

2.   I understand that if you’re only into DT, the tix price might be a little steep, but you know               what..GO!   There are no guarantees. If you can reasonably  afford it..do it. Oh..and if you’re not into Maiden, just stick around for at least 1 or 2 songs..You’ll be very impressed with at least their live show.

3.    Muse is currently doing an arena tour, which I find amazing. I contrast that to DT opening for Maiden. What if DT was opening for Muse?  I’m sure there are many that would love that. If DT opened for Muse in Boston, it would just mean I’d get home early. Believe me, that’s not a problem. Obviously, Muse aren’t as technically proficient as DT. Neither is Maiden, so it’s a moot point. This argument in this thread is ridiculous.

4.    This is a HUGE opportunity to Dream Theater. HUGE. To be able to play for Maiden’s audience will have big dividends. Newsflash here folks, but Dream Theater are not popular.. They have their niche, and are legends in the music world, but for concert goers..well, I saw the half filled Pavillion in Boston last year. I was responsible to 5 others going to see them last year. A couple were metalheads, that had never really listened to DT until I turned them onto them. There will be many conversions from every show. A lot of people in Maiden’s audience I’m sure has “heard” of DT, but a large portion has probably never heard them. Out of 12,000 fans, there’ll be at least 100 converts.  At least… Probably closer to 250, and if each of those attend a DT show the next time through and bring a spouse, friend, or whatever, that’ll mean 500 more attendees, not to mention the other folks that these “new” DT fans turn on in the next year or so. Perhaps that 500 moves the threshold for the promoter to want to bring DT back the next time.

5.   ..I’m sorry, but what I was trying to say in the previous point is that Maiden fans WILL BE BLOWN AWAY by Dream Theater.

6.   As far as Maiden goes, if you don’t like them fine. There’s plenty of DTF faves that I do not care for, but you gotta at least respect them. They are an iconic hard rock band and the list of people they’ve influenced is endless. Like it or not folks, they are one of the MAIN INFLUENCES of our beloved Dream Theater. I hear Maiden in just about every new band today. So if you were turned off by blow up Eddies..fine. At times it IS gay. They had their shtick, and when they say they had no MTV help, that’s disengenuous, but they are a band that makes quality hard rock (not to be confused with the American thrash of Metallica/Megadeth) that obviously touches people. Flight 666 is a movie EVERY MUSIC FAN must see. They are a band that’s been honsest, and has survived a dark period, and has come back musiclly stronger than they’ve EVER been. When bands like Slayer, Megadeth, Judas Priest are playing albums released 20 years ago in their entirety, Maiden played ther NEW album in its entirety with AMOLAD. Granted the Somewhere Back In Time tour, was a retro thing, but HALF of that audience was under 30, and I took it as a true give back to the fans of this generation. Obviously a brilliant move either way.

7.   I just hope that Dream Theater capitalizes on the momentum of this tour and doesn’t wait too long before their next album.

Emindead

ED
EDxactly!

Emancipation Declaration
That's the Emancipation Proclamation. Now get off the computer and get back into class!

j/k

Metty, GTFO of the thread. let these people enjoy themselves. If you've got something constructive to say, then say it, but you've made your point already in this thread. It's time to move on.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #263 on: March 08, 2010, 07:18:20 AM »
Oh..and one more thing..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: March 08, 2010, 08:32:37 AM »
j/k

Metty, GTFO of the thread. let these people enjoy themselves. If you've got something constructive to say, then say it, but you've made your point already in this thread. It's time to move on.

I've already moved on and not "bitching" about it anymore, I'm just kidding around, what the fuck man? I haven't made any personal attacks in this thread and yet I'm getting a lot of personal offenses and sharp tones.
I'm sorry the tour is not coming somewhere you can go to, if it makes you feel better I live in San Antonio which they'll be playing and Houston is a 4 hour drive away from me and I'm still not going  ;D
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: March 08, 2010, 10:43:41 AM »

The only picture of DT in that 1992 concert?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #266 on: March 08, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »
Does Iron Maiden rotate their setlists, at all? I get that generally every concert will have a similar setlist, but are any songs switched?

With Dream Theater having the same setlist every night (as confirmed by Eddie Trunk and Setlist Scotty), I would only go to two concerts if Iron Maiden has different setlists.

Seeing as they had the exact same setlist for the entire Somewhere Back in Time tour, I'm not too sure I want to spend money on two concerts.

EDIT: From research it looks like Maiden doesn't rotate anything... I guess I'm just so used to DT rotating their sets.

Is it still worth going to two concerts (the 2nd being the next day after the first) to see the exact same songs?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:58:42 AM by Shadow2222 »
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #267 on: March 08, 2010, 12:01:48 PM »
Maiden setlists are set in stone.  They might switch a song or two between legs of a tour, but never during.

As for seeing it multiple times, I'd say it's still worth it, but I wouldn't go following them around the country or anything.  Different venues and cities have different vibes.  I saw H&H in Houston and Dallas on consecutive nights, and they were completely different shows. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #268 on: March 08, 2010, 12:07:29 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I was planning on going to the First Niagara Pavillion (Pittsburgh, PA) show on 07/14/10, then the Blossom Music Center (Cleveland/Cuyahoga Falls, OH) show on 07/15/10.

Anybody ever been to either of those venues?
I have about 100 bucks. Should I go to one show and get a pretty good seat, or go to two and get lawn seats? I didn't want to get lawn seats, but something makes me want to go to both concerts.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #269 on: March 08, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Research the acoustics of the venues.  I'll probably pay for shed seats here in Dallas as the sound on the lawn is incredibly bad.  The venue in Houston actually has pretty good sound, so I'll save some money on that one with lawn tickets. 
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #270 on: March 08, 2010, 01:11:40 PM »
Holy shit, lawn tickets for the Molson Ampitheatre are $44.  And somehow, I doubt that includes "convenience fees."

EDIT: Nevermind, they do.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 02:37:37 PM by GuineaPig »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #271 on: March 08, 2010, 01:59:36 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I was planning on going to the First Niagara Pavillion (Pittsburgh, PA) show on 07/14/10, then the Blossom Music Center (Cleveland/Cuyahoga Falls, OH) show on 07/15/10.

Anybody ever been to either of those venues?
I have about 100 bucks. Should I go to one show and get a pretty good seat, or go to two and get lawn seats? I didn't want to get lawn seats, but something makes me want to go to both concerts.

I've seen IM at blossom twice. I was towards the back of the pavilion both times and the sound was great.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #272 on: March 08, 2010, 01:59:57 PM »
Wow! Are all the shows going to be $100+ for good seats???
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #273 on: March 08, 2010, 04:04:02 PM »
If they bring back the Ottawa Bluesfest show, that's a great show to go to if you want dirt cheap tickets. A full day pass will be like $35.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: March 08, 2010, 04:23:30 PM »
If they bring back the Ottawa Bluesfest show, that's a great show to go to if you want dirt cheap tickets. A full day pass will be like $35.
Same for Quebec. About 50 bucks for one week of awesome shows.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #275 on: March 08, 2010, 05:41:53 PM »
To get everyone excited, here's Iron Maiden playing the "Stranger in a Strange Land" in Bruce and Adrian's first gig back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypaHj51rDNM

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Shame that they dropped it once Adrian left for his father's funeral.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #276 on: March 08, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »
To get everyone excited, here's Iron Maiden playing the "Stranger in a Strange Land" in Bruce and Adrian's first gig back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypaHj51rDNM

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Shame that they dropped it once Adrian left for his father's funeral.
3 guitarists on stage, and Michael Kenney drowns them all out.  Bruce sounded real good, though.  That was a cool tour, and the last time we'll ever see Maiden in tiny venues.  3,500 here.
E.F. Benson

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: March 08, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »
How they started to play in bigger venues after that tour? What made them suddenly so popular?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #278 on: March 08, 2010, 07:12:01 PM »
I uploaded the entirety of that first gig back.  It is one of my absolute favourite bootlegs; the band's on fire, and both them and the crowd are obviously loving it.  Plus it's in a tiny venue, probably < 500 people; in a completely random place: St John, New Brunswick.   ;D

@emindead:

A solid comeback album with Brave New World, increased interest now that Bruce and H were back, a NA tour package with Queensryche and Halford, and metal regaining popularity.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #279 on: March 09, 2010, 05:12:07 AM »
TAC summed it up pretty well.

Im living proof of "the Maiden live" effect.
Wasn't a fan...saw em live.....bought the discog.

My home town has had one DT appearance....to get a second..wether its "an evening with" or opening for someone makes no difference to me.

They're coming......it's HUGE.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.