Poll

Aye or nope?

Aye
136 (70.1%)
Nope
58 (29.9%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Do you like Raw Dog?  (Read 35289 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Do you like Raw Dog?
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2010, 10:54:39 AM »
When you listen to it, you gotta remember it's sorta like score for a movie. It's background music. In that context, I think it works for that particular game. But as an instrumental "song," I just don't know.
Well, again, it's not background music.  It's just a song.

Unless by "background music" you mean "music that I will play in the background while in the foreground I play God of War III on my Playstation 3."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2010, 11:01:47 AM »
Because they have a lot of material, and a lot of their songs are long, and there's no way they can play all the music they want to play in a set, so they try to at least acknowledge some of the other material by playing a sample of it in a medley.  What's the problem with that?
... don't tell me that seriously went over your head.

it certainly sailed over my head... but then again I am sitting down and thus at somewhat of a disadvantage.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »
Because they have a lot of material, and a lot of their songs are long, and there's no way they can play all the music they want to play in a set, so they try to at least acknowledge some of the other material by playing a sample of it in a medley.  What's the problem with that?

it certainly sailed over my head... but then again I am sitting down and thus at somewhat of a disadvantage.
You should stand up, get your copy of 5YIAL and listen to the band commentary again.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2010, 11:07:18 AM »
Because they have a lot of material, and a lot of their songs are long, and there's no way they can play all the music they want to play in a set, so they try to at least acknowledge some of the other material by playing a sample of it in a medley.  What's the problem with that?

Same here (on both counts).

And what is also going over my head is whatever Hef is riled up about.  Unless I'm missing something (and have been missing the same something since the announcement was first made), this was a song for a video game, is it not?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »
It's only on the EP.  It's not in the actual game.  It's a bonus for people who buy the Special Edition of the game.  It was also sold separately for people who don't want to pay $100 for a video game special edition.

It's only on the EP.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2010, 11:13:53 AM »
It's only on the EP.  It's not in the actual game.  It's a bonus for people who buy the Special Edition of the game.  It was also sold separately for people who don't want to pay $100 for a video game special edition.

It's only on the EP.

Yeah.  RR and DT made it sound early on like it would be, though.  All the martketing just mentioned that the game was "on the Soundtrack of GoW III!!!!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »
The thing is, it is a good tune for being the background of a video game. It's not a good tune to stand on its own, IMHO.
So, I'm actually wondering whether DT wrote it thinking it would end up as background.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2010, 11:23:27 AM »
The thing is, it is a good tune for being the background of a video game. It's not a good tune to stand on its own, IMHO.
So, I'm actually wondering whether DT wrote it thinking it would end up as background.

rumborak

That's what I think. They don't seem to have been briefed too well, especially since they were all calling it "Gods of War" until they were actually in the studio.

But I guess these are the types of questions we'll never know the answer to.

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2010, 11:35:06 AM »
I don't like it. Gave it a lot of chances, it just wouldn't take. Wouldn't listen to it as a DT song or as a videogame song (not that, of course, I'd have some sort of lower set of standards for the latter). I like that wah-wah bassline and those arps before the solo, but that's about it. Mostly because they weren't mindless, random chugging. Riffing can be awesome and all, but offhand, I can barely even remember any of the melodies in Raw Dog, if there even were any. I'm not all that gung-ho for most of the metal side of DT things unless it has something cool and unique to offer - even TDEN has those at least interesting vocal distortions, catchy chorus, and those cool clean instrumental parts. Raw Dog, on the other hand, is like...Dance of Eternity without the quirky little ragtime solo. And I really don't like Dance of Eternity.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
Gave it a lot of chances, it just wouldn't take.

It's been out for like two days now?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2010, 12:20:15 PM »
When you listen to it, you gotta remember it's sorta like score for a movie. It's background music. In that context, I think it works for that particular game. But as an instrumental "song," I just don't know.
Well, again, it's not background music.  It's just a song.

Unless by "background music" you mean "music that I will play in the background while in the foreground I play God of War III on my Playstation 3."

Aren't the songs IN the game? And isn't this God of War EP a SOUNDTRACK to the game?

if so, then the song is "background music." It's a song for a soundtrack/score to heighten the emotion or mood in the game sequence.

And Hef, I'd appreciate it if you watch how you are replying to me. The last replies you have pointed my way (and most of yours to me) have been a bit heated in nature. Discuss things. Don't jump down my throat.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2010, 12:27:11 PM »

Aren't the songs IN the game? And isn't this God of War EP a SOUNDTRACK to the game?
No and no.

It's a "heavy metal homage" with songs "inspire" by the games, but not IN the games.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2010, 12:30:16 PM »
I find myself listening to it again and again in order to make myself like the song. I realize that I do not like it at all, because the only reason I listen to it is to see if I can tolerate it enough to finally enjoy it.  :-\

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »

No and no.

It's a "heavy metal homage" with songs "inspire" by the games, but not IN the games.

Ah, ok then. Thanks for the clarification. I was under that ASSumption.  :) I stand corrected.

Apologies, Hef.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »
I can imagine some vocals for this. Would've been nice but what can ya do the majority won and we got an instrumental.
  This song would sound bad ass live. The only problem i have is theirs parts that would sound great with JLB.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2010, 01:40:34 PM »

I've mentioned this a couple of times already in the thread but no one seems to be listening.  That IS how it sounded when this was announced and initially marketed.  But that's probably not the reality.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
And Hef, I'd appreciate it if you watch how you are replying to me. The last replies you have pointed my way (and most of yours to me) have been a bit heated in nature. Discuss things. Don't jump down my throat.
???  Certainly didn't think I was coming across that way, and certainly didn't intend to do so.  If I did, I humbly apologize.

Please know that I hold you in the highest personal regard as a member here.  I would never knowingly jump down your throat or otherwise denigrate or demean you unless I found out you were a fan of, I don't know, Queensryche or something.

*crossed fingers*

Offline briang

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2010, 02:19:59 PM »
I think it's pretty bad to be honest. Listened to it once was not impressed.
Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline Slain

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2010, 07:42:26 PM »
It took a few listens for it to sink in, but I really like the song now.

So...

Aye  :yarr
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »
There's nothing wrong with that track, it sounds like a background just as much as any DT other instrumental does, enjoy the fuckin track and STFU.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »
There's nothing wrong with that track, it sounds like a background just as much as any DT other instrumental does, enjoy the fuckin track and STFU.

Dude, chill out.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2010, 08:36:22 PM »
I agree with him though tbh, DT fans whine about DT so much they even had to make a fucking song about it...

Which is honestly why I've always avoied the DT subforum except for threads about new material and what not, my first month or two here I was confused if this was a fan site or a flame site...
gone

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2010, 08:38:47 PM »
And unlike everyone else in the thread engaging in civil debate, you decide to...post a link that breaks the forum rules?

Good going :tup

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2010, 08:43:17 PM »
I agree with him though tbh, DT fans whine about DT so much they even had to make a fucking song about it...

Which is honestly why I've always avoied the DT subforum except for threads about new material and what not, my first month or two here I was confused if this was a fan site or a flame site...

If you consider what you see here flaming then you must be very new to the internet.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2010, 08:45:45 PM »
Not at all new to the internet. I'm very sure I learned how to type before I could write my name properly haha.
gone

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2010, 10:53:19 PM »
Listening, as I type, for the first time...

Pretty awesome so far.  Bit different intro, but the music is pretty cool after 2 and a half minutes in...

Nice drumming and guitaring at 3 minutes in.,,

Really digging it at the 4 minute mark...

At 5 minutes in, the solos have been going for awhile now, but I'm really digging it.

The song really changed drastically at the 6 minute mark, it's some very different DT.  It sounds pretty cool, but uhh what a wierd way to end the song.

After my first listen, I overall enjoyed it and thought it was pretty cool and different to listen to.  I, however, don't know the lasting effects after a few more listens. 

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2010, 11:06:43 PM »
It's hard to break down into a yes or no answer. I like the parts of the song, I just don't like it AS a song.

Basically this.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2010, 11:10:37 PM »
I like it for what it is. There are some cool parts in it, and some not cool parts.
It's a good listen, and I'm happy to have a new track to hear. I would not stack this up among DT's better songs (I think it's their weakest instrumental).
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline TheCor

« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2010, 12:28:26 AM »
And WTF with people saying it's OK "in the context of the game."  It's not in the game.
huh, really?....what the hell is the point of having a soundtrack that's not music from the game?  by definition "soundtrack" is supposed to be the sounds (music) from the audio track of the game or movie it's named after.  in the context that raw dog is not actually music from a video game, it's even less impressive.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2010, 12:36:11 AM »
People have never heard of movie soundtracks before?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2010, 12:40:43 AM »
Don't like it. I know it's for a really "heavy" game, but for me, it lacks breathing spaces. Plus, as stated before, it seems like a collection of things piled upon each other with no real direction.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2010, 12:52:57 AM »
Yes but in almost all cases it's music from the movie. Often you get things like "Music from and inspired by..." if there aren't enough songs that are actually in the film. I don't recall seeing one where it was an entirely separate thing like this.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2010, 12:58:23 AM »
Yes but in almost all cases it's music from the movie. Often you get things like "Music from and inspired by..." if there aren't enough songs that are actually in the film. I don't recall seeing one where it was an entirely separate thing like this.
No? How many films have more than one or two songs in them (not score)? Tons of movies put out soundtracks that are 90% separate from the movie.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2010, 01:06:38 AM »
Wow Mike has actually tweeted that Raw Dog is supposed to end this way. I mean seriously? Just cut it off and say it's supposed to be that way? I could just write a song and then when I'm out of ideas, cut it off, and say that's intentional, but is it musical and creative? I honestly cannot understand why the band is doing this. At least fade it out if you're too lazy to come up with a proper ending. Oh my god seriously.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2010, 01:11:20 AM »
No? How many films have more than one or two songs in them (not score)? Tons of movies put out soundtracks that are 90% separate from the movie.

Elizabethtown
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

These both come immediately to mind.

Maybe the title should be "An EP Of Songs That Have Nothing At All In Common With God Of War 3, Except For The Fact That They're Being Promoted Along With God Of War 3.  Disclaimer: If You Really Were A God Of War, These Are The Last 6 Songs You Would Ever Listen To While Performing Divine Acts Of Military Carnage."