Author Topic: JLB lower register voice appreciation  (Read 4378 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: JLB lower register voice appreciation
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 10:12:14 AM »
Just to know, on what ground are you basing your judgement? I mean, considering the high register on the studio album, in the live releases, from audience recorded performances...?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline adastra

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
Just to know, on what ground are you basing your judgement? I mean, considering the high register on the studio album, in the live releases, from audience recorded performances...?

Mostly live releases. In studio he sounds ok!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
Well, you may want to check some audience recorded performances. Barring LATM and LIT he was never very lucky with the choice of the night to be recorded.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »
I think he sounded amazing on LSFNY, and hell, pretty much on all their live releases in general, he always delivered a stellar performance. Don't know what this guy is on about.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 04:29:22 PM »
So if he started to yodel, you'd be okay with it? :corn

He could sing me the phone book and I'd be okay with it.

Offline Polis

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »
people give labrie way too much crap... he has probably the least stable instrument from night to night and he's forced to sing some songs that were made when he was half his age. I guarantee 100% of all non-vocalists won't be able to sing his part consistently.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 10:16:44 PM »
If he was in a position to take a 1-2 years off of singing like his doctors advised after the accident, we'd have a LaBrie in his prime with full depth and strength of his voice in its entire range. No such luck. Given the situation he was in, how long it took to recover and his age, the songs themselves that are 20 years old now, I'd say he's doing a superb job.
I like that he isn't screaming all over the place now in studio because he knows he wouldn't be able to deliver on those vocals night after night, instead he focuses on singing what he can replicate live. And still sound very good.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 12:01:25 AM »
If he was in a position to take a 1-2 years off of singing like his doctors advised after the accident, we'd have a LaBrie in his prime with full depth and strength of his voice in its entire range. No such luck. Given the situation he was in, how long it took to recover and his age, the songs themselves that are 20 years old now, I'd say he's doing a superb job.
I like that he isn't screaming all over the place now in studio because he knows he wouldn't be able to deliver on those vocals night after night, instead he focuses on singing what he can replicate live. And still sound very good.

Awesome post, awesome points, and I totally agree.

Oh, and Static Impulse definitely highlights his mid to lower register quite nicely. :)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 12:07:38 AM »
All of this.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »
Yeah personally, I liked that he stayed in a comfortable range on ADTOE. I liked his voice a lot there. 

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2013, 11:25:43 AM »
I'm not sure if this qualifies as lower register, but I've always liked JLB's performance on the song "Freaks."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 11:56:17 AM »
Yeah personally, I liked that he stayed in a comfortable range on ADTOE. I liked his voice a lot there.

You know, my problem wasn't that he didn't go crazy with the high notes all that much, I just didn't think the vocal melodies were that interesting in ADTOE. I mean, if you listen to Misunderstood, he stays in his lower register for a lot of that song, but the vocal melodies are interesting enough that it still sounds great. I found that on ADTOE, the vocal melodies just weren't that dynamic (for a lot of it, it did have its moments).
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"