Author Topic: M3 Rock Festival - 80's Hard Rock Fans Rejoice!  (Read 36557 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: M3 Rock Festival - Hair Metal Fans Rejoice!
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2013, 02:35:30 AM »
"American Hair Band"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4ZNO24Ye4

What did I jus watch?  :lol

You never heard that before? I believe it was done by the singer from Tuff, Stevie Rachelle after Kid Rock's cash in? He was more a Brett Micheals wannabee than  Kid Rock.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2013, 06:20:14 AM »
Also, of note, Tuff at one time had Jim Gillette and John Corabi as vocalists.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2013, 02:13:02 PM »
I suck.  finishing this up tomorrow.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »
So next on the main stage is JSRG, aka Vixen.  Basically Janet, Share, and Roxy from Vixen asked Jan to do a reunion, she said no, so they asked Gina Stile (formerly of Poison Dollys and Envy) to join up and form JSRG.  Obviously the best looking band on the bill:

They put on an excellent show and played some songs I'd totally forgotten about.  They also did a REALLY good, rocking cover of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep".  Wiki says Vixen were dubbed the "female Bon Jovi".  I suppose that's probably an accurate description.  M3 seems to continually remind me how understocked my music library actually is.  Another band I need to pick up some back catalog from.

Rev It Up
How Much Love
Never Say Never
Cryin'
Streets in Paradise
Rolling In The Deep
I Want You to Rock Me
Edge of a Broken Heart
Wrecking Ball

Next up on the Festival Stage was Great White.  Jack Russell's GW, not Mark Kendall's.  A very important distinction for me.  Some would argue that nobody can match Mark Kendall's tone/playing, etc. (infact someone DID mention this to me on Twitter), but for my experience, anybody can play a guitar and get close to a similar sound of a band they like, enough to go on and play the song.  It's almost impossible to sound like the singer and NOBODY sounds like Jack Russell.  For me, Jack Russell IS Great White.  Terry Ilous, from MK's Great White (and from XYZ) is a great singer, but he's not Jack Russell.  6 songs, but all great ones, his voice sounded awesome.  The band, though I have never heard of any of them, were excellent as well.

All Over Now
Desert Moon
Save Your Love
Mista Bone
Rock Me
Once Bitten Twice Shy

Main stage next is Loudness.  Now I skipped over these guys, as much as it pained me, in order to get as close to the Festival Stage as possible for King's X.  I could still hear them from where I was at, but not all that great.  Either way, these guys are outstanding.  I can't say much for them this year, but I did watch them last year and they slayed.  Crazy heavy.  Excellent band.  Wish I could've paid more attention to them this year, as they had a longer set than last year.

Fire of Spirit
The Stronger
Crazy Nights
Crazy Doctor
Heavy Chains
Drum Solo
Requiem ~ King of Pain
Survivor
SDI

So next on the Festival Stage, of course, was King's X.  I've been looking forward to seeing htem for a long time.  Despite this being a very abbreviated set and not featuring some of my favorites, I didn't really care.  I stood and watched the techs come out and set the amp levels and such for everything, line check the instruments and mics and such.  Very cool.  Then King's X walked in through the back entrance of the stage and came out and fiddled with some knobs and checked a few things, etc., then went back stage again, while the techs finished up.  I believe Dug was drinking some sort of Miller-brand beer.  :lol  So they came out and tore shit up, major.  I was close enough that it was only 2-3 people deep in front of me before you got to the barricade, a small alleyway for photogs and VIPs and then the stage.  So while these guys are playing, I can feel the bass form the drums and Dug's bass literally rattling my jaw.  It was freakin' awesome.  About midway through, Loudness comes in the back of the stage and around the side of the stage and hangs out to watch the rest of King's X's set, taking pictures and such.  Really cool to see.  Their set, again:

Groove Machine
Dogman
Vegetable
Everybody Knows a Little Bit of Something
Black Like Sunday
Over My Head
We Were Born to Be Loved

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »
I know there are words in your post after the Vixen pic, but I haven't been able to read them yet...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
:rollin

Funny enough, they looked even better in person than they did in the overly PS'd pic I posted.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2013, 10:25:03 AM »
Okay, so the next band on the Main Stage is CLEARLY not for everyone, but they were THE main band I came to see.  Steel Panther.  I thought to myself "This should be interesting, what with people having brought their kids here."

It's rock and roll.  Shield your kids' ears if you don't want them to hear something offensive or don't bring them.  Steel Panther wasn't the first of the day to be offensive, they just take it to an art form.  :lol

Anyway, I just cannot imagine how f*cking awesome it would be to be a part of this band.  Living the parody, in full 80's neon/zebra/spandex regalia.  The lyrics may be dirtier than a sewage treatment plant, but the band is tighter than an emo's pants.  Holy hell can these guys rock.

Now I will say that even though it's part of the schtick, they had a very long crowd interaction part after the second song, where they discussed what girls in the crowd they were going to f*ck, how out of place the lone black guy in the front of the crowd was, and other things, including the band member intros.  It started to drag on and I'm like "Dude, these guys could've played at least two more songs in the amount of time they've been up here talking and busting on each other."  No matter though, because even then, they're still damn funny.

Anyway, they then proceeded to kick major ass all over the place and have only stoked my desire to see them again.  The antics with each other throughout their set just prove what an absolute blast these guys have on stage.  Here's a pretty decent vid of 17 Girls in a Row that starts out with some fun (NSFW-NSFW-NSFW) - the song they're talking about at the beginning is Death to All but Metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ3OZ3hu2WM

Did I mention it's NSFW?  Unless you're wearing headphones and don't mind the word f*ck.  Also, it's plainly obvious in his moves and in his voice that Michael Starr was in the Atomic Punks.  He's got DLR nailed to a tee.

I need to catch a full show from these guys, because I KNOW for certain it will be EPIC.  I'd hoped they'd open with Supersonic Sex Machine, but I was not at all disappointed that they opened with Eyes of a Panther.

Eyes of a Panther
Tomorrow Night
Fat Girl (Thar She Blows)
Asian Hooker
Just Like Tiger Woods
Party All Day (Fuck All Night)
Community Property
17 Girls in a Row
Death to All but Metal

At this point, we could've left and I'd have been fine with it.  Next on the Festival Stage was Firehouse.  They really are an excellent band, but they're one of those bands that had the misfortune of being known, almost solely for their two big ballads.  At this point, a chick from the Washington Post comes over, and says she loves the way my hair is blowing and the way the sun (now nearly setting) is shining through it and is it okay if she takes some pictures and hangs out with us for a bit?  Sure, that's cool (it was me, Mrs. C., my singer, his wife, and two other buddies of mine)  Unfortunately, some dude we didn't know, who was drunk as hell had stopped to talk to us, and started kinda jokingly (and drunkenly) hitting on the chick.  She blew him off in short order.  She took several pics (which didn't show up in the article), her phone rang, she excused herself to take the call, then never came back.  I assume she thought the drunk guy was with us.  F*cker.  Anyway, Firehouse is playing all this time and they sound excellent, we're just waiting them out to see Twisted Sister.

Hold Your Fire
All She Wrote
When I Look Into Your Eyes
Overnight Sensation
Love Of A Lifetime
Don't Treat Me Bad

Setlist.fm is down for maintenance, so I'll eat lunch and finish up later...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2013, 12:00:30 PM »
Okay, so now Twisted Sister is up on the Main Stage.  To start off with, their lead-in music was It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock and Roll).  As the bagpipes are playing the outro, they walk out and launch right into You Can't Stop Rock and Roll.  Dee looks and sounds absolutely amazing.  He may have looked like a complete freak back in the day and was undoubtedly not taken seriously, but dude is legit and they rocked the roof off.  Of note was a fun little point where Dee starts to talk about how in the 90's all these bands started doing Unplugged...

"This is a pretty interesting moment on the show, because it's something that we haven't done before.  Twisted Sister noticed that our peers - the other bands - great bands - all of them have been doing this unplugged thing.  I know what you're saying 'Dee!  Duh!'  I mean it's been going on since the late 90's - all these great metal bands have been unplugging, especially when it comes to their ballad, so Twisted Sister thought that maybe - where is my guitar, bring my guitar out here, would you please?"

Roadie brings Dee an acoustic guitar.  Oddly, there's no guitar strap on it...

"Twisted Sister thought maybe it was high time that we, too joined the other great 80's bands and we unplu-Oh f*ck this...

F*CK UNPLUGGED, F*CK ACOUSTIC GUITARS, F*CK FOLK MUSIC, F*CK THAT!!!"

Smash, smash, smash, smash

"Twisted Sister will unplug our electric guitars when they pry 'em from our cold, dead hands!!  This one is played the way it's supposed to be played, it's called the Price!"

So very rock and roll.  Great set, great energy.  Despite initially not being too hyped up about them, I'm really glad we got to see them.

You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll
Shoot 'Em Down
Stay Hungry
I Believe in Rock 'n' Roll
The Kids are Back
We're Not Gonna Take It
The Price
Burn in Hell
I Wanna Rock

So the closer on the Festival Stage was Jackyl.  Despite the fact that they've played around here numerous times (Just this past weekend, actually), I've never seen them.  They're like AC/DC on steroids.  At this point, you MIGHT have been able to get as close as about 150 ft from the stage.  It was freakin' packed.  They tore through a 7 song set, with JJD noting at some point that he didn't give a shit about schedules and such.

So they close with the Lumberjack song and I'm pretty sure it was getting near or past the point that Bret Michaels was supposed to start.  After 2 minutes of bullshitting with the crowd while the band played the riff, he finally starts the song.

Lights out.

They kept playing like nothing ever happened.  They cut the song short a little, and he still cut a bar stool in half.  When they finished, he says "I never could tell time too good!"  Thanks the crowd, and they leave.  :rollin  I heard conflicting reports that they shut off the lights on them and that a fuse blew.  No way to know, but I doubt a fuse blew and they were unable to fix it the REST of the song.  Pretty sure lights were back up later when they were tearing down the stage.  Anyway, video.  Lights go down around 1:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFxivW9n7d0

My Moonshine Kicks Your Cocaine's Ass
Down On Me
I Stand Alone
When Will It Rain
Dirty Little Mind
Redneck Punk
The Lumberjack Song

Then, looking at the stage setup for the Bret Michaels Band, you can see that the set consists, most obviously, of six large decorative panels, each of which displays Bret Michaels' face.

Are you that self-absorbed?  Wow.

We stuck around for Talk Dirty To Me and Look What the Cat Dragged In.  Left when he started doing Sweet Home Alabama.  I've seen Poison, don't want to see them again without the rest of the band.  GONE!

I will say, that he sounded really good.  When he was yelling out to the crowd, he didn't sound at all like Bret.  As soon as he started singing, it was unmistakably Bret Michaels.

Talk Dirty To Me
Look What The Cat Dragged In
Sweet Home Alabama
Your Mama Don't Dance
Go That Far
Something To Believe In
Unskinny Bop
What I Got (Sublime)
Every Rose Has Its Thorn
Fallen Angel

Encore:
Nothin' But A Good Time

So that's that.  What a killer weekend.  We recruited 3 new people to go this time around, who've agreed that they're definitely going again.  It is literally a festival of rack.  No, I didn't mean rock, I meant rack.  The M3 Festival sees more hot chicks than a sorority house toilet seat.  My one buddy was nearly speechless at it all.  A great weeknd of hair metal, our 4th year in a row now.  Looking forward to many, many more.  At some point, they're gonna start scraping hte bottom of the barrel for bands, but I think there are plenty of bands they can still showcase, and they've clearly brought bands back many times, so it wouldn't matter who was on the lineup, I'm still going.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2014, 11:53:51 AM »
The M3 Rock Fest is back!  Looking like a great lineup this year.

I bet they're having a stroke over at the Breakdown Room.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: M3 Rock Festival - Hair Metal Fans Rejoice! (2014 Lineup!)
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2014, 11:58:43 AM »
Is that Queensryche official, or TateRyche?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
Man I hate Kix but love Extreme, Lita Ford, :TAC: Night Ranger, Ryche, Slaughter, Stryper!!!  Awesome!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2014, 12:03:26 PM »
I'm feeling fairly certain it's Wilton, La Torre, and Co.  They're doing a similar show in June with Kix and Red Dragon Cartel on the bill.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2014, 12:05:20 PM »
If it is, I would say odds are high that either Todd makes a quick appearance onstage during Stryper's set, or that Michael Sweet does during Queensryche's set.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »
Is that Queensryche official, or TateRyche?

That was my first thought.  If it's the real QR, that's a helluva bill.  If it's Tater-ryche (that's how I always thing that should be pronounced), at least there's time to get a meal and have a dump.

Last weekend of April... gonna be kinda chilly, isn't it?

Still, might be worth a road trip.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »
Chad, chilly?!  For you?! :lol

HEAT WAVE!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2014, 12:12:16 PM »
It IS gonna be chilly.  They keep moving it up.  Last year, it was in May and I damn near froze my ass off the first night.

Bigger problem.  We're getting married in Antigua on April 19th.  We'll be arriving back home on the 22nd.  3 days before the festival.  We're gonna be pretty low on cash and tired.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
It IS gonna be chilly.  They keep moving it up.  Last year, it was in May and I damn near froze my ass off the first night.

Bigger problem.  We're getting married in Antigua on April 19th.  We'll be arriving back home on the 22nd.  3 days before the festival.  We're gonna be pretty low on cash and tired.

I remember your review, and how you didn't bring a warm coat or anything.

How much are tickets usually?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »
Honestly, I don't really even remember.  I'm thinking 50-ish a person for lawn seats.  Somewhere around there.  But consider, that's 1 stage Friday night, and 2 separate stages alternating all day Saturday.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2014, 12:22:40 PM »

We got married on April 19th too, but in Bermuda.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2014, 12:23:24 PM »
Awesome.  Bermuda was a consideration.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
I really got to get out to one of these some year, the bill is always killer.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »
I really got to get out to one of these some year, the bill is always killer.  :metal

DTF meetup.  I'd pay a couple night's rent to Coz/Mrs Coz, and that solves their problem.

ARE YOU WITH US!?!?!?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »
I'm fairly certain that we're taking jr. with us this year.  Given that and the timing of it, with just coming back home, it is most likely that she and I will only be going down on Saturday this year.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2014, 12:50:44 PM »
Congrats!  Mawwidge rules!  :mawwidge:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »
Thanks.  We're REALLY looking forward to it.   :laugh:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »
Congrats!  Mawwidge rules!  :mawwidge:

And I thought :marriageanalogy: was the only marriage emot!!

$50 for the whole festival?  Or per day?  Either way, great deal for that lineup.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »
I'm not entirely certain.  I feel like that was the whole thing.  Again, that's for lawn seats, so you're really not going to be even remotely close to the main stage (they have video screens), but you CAN get fairly close to the festival stage.

Our buddy Mark went with us last year, after opting out all the other years.  Finally got him to come along.  When he realized what a "festival of rack" it was (in his own eloquent words), the music in the background was just icing on the cake.  He was like "I'm never missing this ever again".  :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »
. . . she and I will only be going down on Saturday . . . .

TMI!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2014, 01:23:49 PM »
I thought about that after the fact.  :lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »
LaTorreRyche just posted on their FB they are part of M3 Rock, so you guys can breathe as sign of relief it's not TateRyche.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2014, 11:03:33 AM »
M3 Rock Fest today. John Corabi looks like he aged 30 years and joined the Dead.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »
Looking forward to your update Coz!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2014, 12:41:16 PM »
Posting on Facebook and Twitter.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2014, 02:36:21 PM »
Todd la Torre is nailing notes that Geoff Tate has been chasing for years. Wow.