Author Topic: Trial of Tears - Live at Budokan  (Read 13013 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Trial of Tears - Live at Budokan
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 04:32:06 AM »
Whatever, I give up. It's a double standard for what you're allowed to say about certain band (or ex-band) members around here anyway. Seems anything is fair game with JR.
WTF Blob, he said that he thought JR butchered the solo, which is his favorite solo.  He didn't bash the band, or bash JR.  He expressed his opinion about one solo.  It's OK if he thinks that.  Where's the problem with him thinking that?  Where's the problem with him posting that?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 08:44:33 AM »
I'm not pointing the finger at any one particular person.  I'm just saying I'm tired of seeing the same three or so people always at the center of it, regardless of who started it.  I don't really care to have to listen to one person or the other say, "he started it!"  For starters, I DON'T CARE!  Someone started it.  Someone continued it.  Both piss me off equally.  Second, do I even need to point out how immature that sounds?  Really?  Do you not understand that?  You're all on notice that your schtick is getting old, I'm getting tired of it, and I don't really care whether you like what I'm telling you or not.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:29:02 AM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »
Whatever, I give up. It's a double standard for what you're allowed to say about certain band (or ex-band) members around here anyway. Seems anything is fair game with JR.

While I don't agree that the solo was butchered at all, (I love the Budokan version of the song A LOT), you still just need to let it go. Hell, JRs solo used to be my ringtone. :lol

You're saying he crossed the line, that it's a double standard. Simply not true. You're like someone in politics who says, "Whenever the Republicans do something wrong you hear about it all the time, but not Democrats!" Dude, it goes both ways all. the. time.

If you would just reply with your own opinion, rather than jumping on him, the argument is a lot more avoidable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 09:26:28 AM »
True, but there was no argument, because, as I previously stated, I do not reply to certain persons anymore.  It makes this forum a lot more enjoyable for me this way.  That is why I am never at the center of it anymore, as bosk1 incorrectly stated.  I cannot help it if he replies to my posts. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2010, 09:42:29 AM »
It's pretty easy to understand...

Giving a respectful opinion about a piece of music (positive or negative) or about a musician's performance, is fine.

There really are no double-standards. I'm not a fan of much of DT's modern era output. I exist just fine here, without issue. People need to stop taking others' opinions so personal.

not to pick on Blob (and I'm not, Blob, it's just this example comes to mind), but if someone loves Awake, and posts a thread about it, does it really require someone coming in and taking shots at that particular opinion? Of course not. For the sake of discussion, if a person has to comment, you can simply say: "My opinion on it is well documented, so I'll be brief. I just don't think the record has *insert descriptive term that sums up your feeling* in comparison to some of the other albums. But hey man, glad you are diggin' it. Some good songs on there."

Bang, done.

And then after that, people need to stop sniping at others' opinions. It's called constructive debate. The problem is (not talking about ANYONE specifically, because I honestly just remember posts, not people for the most part) that folks just nitpick for the sake of nitpick, which gets on the nerves of some folks.

Just detach yourselves and have constructive conversation. Hell, bosk and I disagree about a ton regarding Dream Theater. And we never have any issues (other than his bowing down before the altar of Y&T's "Summertime Girls" which to this day, I don't understand).

In a nutshell, people take stuff too personal and then push buttons. Detach and resist the urge. It'll result in a better forum.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2010, 11:02:34 AM »
I don't understand the love of Summertime Girls either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »
Me either.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2010, 11:17:44 AM »
I don't think Rudess butchered the solo.  That's pretty much the only version of Trial of Tears I listen to, though, so I wouldn't really notice anyway, but  I pretty much disagree whenever it's claimed that JR has butchered something.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2010, 11:20:09 AM »
*resists*

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2010, 11:29:05 AM »
Definitely one of the highlights of Budokan. JLB is on for that song, and the atmosphere of the whole song is incredible, especially JR's long sustained note coming out of the keyboard solo over the acoustic section. Still gives me chills :tup
All of this!

My favorite DT song, hands down, and the definitive version of the song!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2010, 05:42:18 PM »
Not a bad version, despite JR's butchering of Sherinian's original solo (which in the studio is possibly my favorite DT keyboard solo), but the vibe of the studio version is impossible to match, so all things considered, they did a pretty good job.  But it still cannot compare to the original, IMO, which is one of their five or six best songs.  :tup :tup

It's not butchered, but a typical comment from you   :\

Correct.  But as is typical, you and Kev just cannot keep your little snipes to yourselves.  Do I have to tell you how tired I am getting of seeing every other thread on the DT side devolve into bickering between you, Kev, and Orcus?  Sometimes I think my life would be a lot easier if I just banned the three of you so I wouldn't have to do so much babysitting.

I...I haven't even done anything in ahwile  :|

Offline j

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Not a bad version, despite JR's butchering of Sherinian's original solo (which in the studio is possibly my favorite DT keyboard solo), but the vibe of the studio version is impossible to match, so all things considered, they did a pretty good job.  But it still cannot compare to the original, IMO, which is one of their five or six best songs.  :tup :tup

It's not butchered, but a typical comment from you   :\

Correct.  But as is typical, you and Kev just cannot keep your little snipes to yourselves.  Do I have to tell you how tired I am getting of seeing every other thread on the DT side devolve into bickering between you, Kev, and Orcus?  Sometimes I think my life would be a lot easier if I just banned the three of you so I wouldn't have to do so much babysitting.

Well....then clearly you can rest assured that your legacy lives on. :metal :biggrin:

-J

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2010, 08:25:55 AM »
Not crazy about the Budokan performance.  It's cool and all, but I'm a huge fan of the studio version and Budokan doesn't live up to the original.  Also, the drum sound is one of the things that makes the studio version so kick ass, and I don't think they'll ever be able to get that live. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2010, 09:11:18 AM »

Well, I am a very visual person, so if you change your avatar to something else, I'll probably forget I was mad at you.  :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2010, 09:21:39 AM »
I don't understand the love of Summertime Girls either.

Watch it, pal.   :police:

Me either.

For shame.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2010, 09:35:30 AM »
*watches it*

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2010, 09:40:23 AM »
Me either.

For shame.

:lol  If the band looks back on that period as a "what on earth were we thinking?" moment, I am certainly entitled to do the same as a fan.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2010, 09:53:21 AM »
Seriously, that is the "least deep" song I've ever heard.  Compared to that song, KISS's Love Gun is a work by Kierkegaard.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2010, 10:04:09 AM »
I'll move my thoughts on this to the DT chat thread...

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2010, 10:28:46 AM »
Seriously, that is the "least deep" song I've ever heard.  Compared to that song, KISS's Love Gun is a work by Kierkegaard.

You sir, just won a prize for the world's first ever mention of Kiss and Kierkegaard in the same sentence. 

Offline robbob

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »
Definitely one of the highlights of Budokan. JLB is on for that song, and the atmosphere of the whole song is incredible, especially JR's long sustained note coming out of the keyboard solo over the acoustic section. Still gives me chills :tup
All of this!

My favorite DT song, hands down, and the definitive version of the song!
I agree, the first DT song (LAB version, although the studio version is great too) that really got me hooked onto them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2010, 04:32:20 PM »

You sir, just won a prize for the world's first ever mention of Kiss and Kierkegaard in the same sentence. 

*bows with a flourish*

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
In honor of this thread I did not change the station when Summertime Girls came on.

I kinda wish I had.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »
In honor of this thread I did not change the station when Summertime Girls came on.

I kinda wish I had.
I understand.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2010, 07:21:12 PM »
:ultimetal:

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »
This thread has ended in a Trial of Tears.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2010, 12:10:02 PM »
What a weird thread to read. There was nothing to warrant the strange explosion half-way in.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2010, 12:10:59 PM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2010, 03:17:23 PM »
This thread has ended in a Trial of Tears.
A Trail Of Beers.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2010, 04:13:53 AM »
What a weird thread to read. There was nothing to warrant the strange explosion half-way in.

rumborak

Yes, I know.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2017, 10:23:33 PM »
I'm watching this now, and all I can think of is, this seems like quite the boring song live.

Now, don't get me wrong... I love the song, it just seems like a snoozer live.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2017, 01:02:40 AM »
I've seen it live, I assure you it isn't!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2017, 04:50:43 AM »

Ditto.

BTW, reading through all of the posts in this thread was serious entertainment. I'm glad it was revived. ;D :o

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2017, 07:16:27 AM »
I'm watching this now, and all I can think of is, this seems like quite the boring song live.

Now, don't get me wrong... I love the song, it just seems like a snoozer live.
Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis?

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2017, 07:32:20 AM »

I hope I can. They didn't come here for DT12 tour