Author Topic: The (almost) final versions of our studio recordings!  (Read 6549 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: The (almost) final versions of our studio recordings!
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
Rumby, does being able to play DT's music enhance your appreciation of their abilities, or diminish it? Just curious. I play drums but will never be at that level, so was wondering what it feels like.

Well, it definitely changes your perception of the DT tunes you're playing, because now you really know all the nuances inside out, and you also know which sections are tricky and which are not.

rumborak

What's the most challenging aspect of playing JP's stuff? Fingerings? Speed? (well duh) Alternate picking?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 11:06:11 PM »
In my experience, timing. Playing the staccato part in Erotomania, or the leadup to the fast ITNOG keyboard-guitar solo, that's the tricky part. Learning the picking stuff is just a question of practice. Getting the timing right, that IMHO separates the wheat from the chaff.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 04:11:06 AM »
Great stuff, rumby!  Good luck on the CD, I hope it brings you guys some more exposure!

You should learn the songs that DT never does live, like Don't Look Past Me and Space-Dye Vest.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:10 AM »
It really sounds great. And I agree with hef, have a go at some obscure DT songs, like The Way It Used To Be. I'd be interested in how your rendition of it would sound like.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 07:53:55 AM »
Rumby
Let me know if you got my message  the guy is trying to get added to the bands myspace so you guys can talk to set up a gig there, he listened to you and liked it
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:08:13 AM by EstyMaJ »

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »
I just listened to LTL and it was awesome! As far as the singer, I think I like his midrange and a little of the higher register much better than his lower; lower, to me, he almost sounds like Jethro Tull singing DT, but overall he was great.
The only criticism I have, and it's pretty nitpicky is the keyboarding. I just would have done more with bending and modulation in parts, but he's definitely way better than I am.
Excellent job!
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame