Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256593 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread
« Reply #420 on: January 11, 2011, 09:39:46 AM »
To me its that industy mags think this ABIII is really something, that its getting too many accolades for what it is..its soooooo standard stuff.. so safe in many ways..too safe for me. It makes me dislike the industry as this stuff is sooooo in the box.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #421 on: January 11, 2011, 09:44:35 AM »
What I end up doing is cutting the album off before the bonus tracks. Labels have been making many of these relevant bands do all these tracks lately, and it has gotten to be overkill.

I am grateful for the extra Alter Bridge, but I am going to separate the tracks on my iPod eventually, so I can have the album, and then have a b-sides compilation.

In recent memory, they've done this with Stone Sour, Alter Bridge, and...crap, that is all I can remember, but my wife mentioned a few more over the weekend when we talked about this.

"Too safe" "in the box?" Then go throw yourself at bands that are off the commercial spectrum. Alter Bridge is what it is, a commercially viable hard rock band with metal, alternative and progressive elements at times. They just don't experiment with song structure that much (or haven't yet).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #422 on: January 11, 2011, 09:48:47 AM »
I didn't know it was really making it big in the press at all.

Perhaps because it's the first time an Alter Bridge album has become more well known. And because Alter Bridge are actually amazing - even if they aren't too experimental, it's just hard rock with a metal edge done perfectly, in my opinion. Compared to other famous bands that are both "sooo in the box" and just not anywhere as good, maybe it stands out.

Anyway to me I just don't feel that every bit of music has to be going out of its way to be different. Quality music that's "in the box" is better than music that just isn't as good but makes more of an effort to be "out of the box".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #423 on: January 11, 2011, 10:00:27 AM »
"Too safe" "in the box?" Then go throw yourself at bands that are off the commercial spectrum. Alter Bridge is what it is, a commercially viable hard rock band with metal, alternative and progressive elements at times. They just don't experiment with song structure that much (or haven't yet).

And they are good at it.  As others have said, good band, good album, but it does have a very samey sound throughout.  And it has nothing to do with being a prog fan.  I have liked a lot of more straightforward rock bands since the early '80s.  It's not just a similar song structure.  It's a lot of things that have been pointed out.  This album just has a feel to it that doesn't have much variety to it.  I've felt that way about a few other albums as well.  Two that come to mind are, more recently, Symphony X's Paradise Lost and, going back many years, Tesla's The Great Radio Controversy.  Both great albums.  One a complex symphonic metal album; the other a straightforward rock album.  Both had a couple of standout tracks, but beyond that, have an overall sound to them that is very samey and can lose a listener.  For me, both albums took work to learn to appreciate because it took time to get past that sameyness and appreciate what each separate song brought to the table.  I feel the same way about ABIII.  Overall, I like it.  But it feels like a chore to get through.  And you, being more familiar with the band, may have more quickly picked out what you like and picked out all the subtleties that make each song stand out.  Right or wrong, it's taking much more work for me to get there with this one.  So there you have it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #424 on: January 11, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »

And they are good at it.  As others have said, good band, good album, but it does have a very samey sound throughout.  And it has nothing to do with being a prog fan.  I have liked a lot of more straightforward rock bands since the early '80s.  It's not just a similar song structure.  It's a lot of things that have been pointed out.  This album just has a feel to it that doesn't have much variety to it.  I've felt that way about a few other albums as well.  Two that come to mind are, more recently, Symphony X's Paradise Lost and, going back many years, Tesla's The Great Radio Controversy.  Both great albums.  One a complex symphonic metal album; the other a straightforward rock album.  Both had a couple of standout tracks, but beyond that, have an overall sound to them that is very samey and can lose a listener.  For me, both albums took work to learn to appreciate because it took time to get past that sameyness and appreciate what each separate song brought to the table.  I feel the same way about ABIII.  Overall, I like it.  But it feels like a chore to get through.  And you, being more familiar with the band, may have more quickly picked out what you like and picked out all the subtleties that make each song stand out.  Right or wrong, it's taking much more work for me to get there with this one.  So there you have it.

I agree with you, that's what I was trying to say before as well. I also agree with Paradise Lost (don't know the other album), but at the same time I think it's possibly Symphony X's best, along with V which is another fairly samey album in my opinion. Maybe it's just me but I tend to think the more "samey" albums might take more listens to make each song stand out, but are often better albums than albums with more obviously varied tracks, which often lead to more hit and miss. (Obviously if an album is less varied and the sound isn't one you like, then you won't like the album at all.)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:21 AM »
I think it has everything to do with people that are used to and enjoy prog bands more than most people. YOU are a prog fan bosk1. You love Neal Morse, you love Transatlantic. That is prog, is it not?

I'm not saying you (or whoever else) is incapable of making the distinction on it all (same way with me, I am more of a straight forward hard rock and metal fan, so it is akin to me saying I can't make the distinction between prog and the elements within prog that make it cool, which I can).

But what I am saying is that people get used to hearing things in the music that they like, and when something new is presented to them, their ear automatically attunes itself to want that. And that is what I think many folks that are criticizing AB III are doing, particularly on this forum, where there are a greater number of prog fans.

For me, I do the opposite. At first I search for the killer riff and great melody. If I don't find it, it makes it harder to listen and appreciate something. Case in point for me is Porcupine Tree. Love PT now. But it took me a LONG time to really get there, because I was listening for elements from them that aren't what they are about.

AB isn't (to this point) about experimenting with song structures. Period. Maybe one day they will, but right now, they aren't.

And hey, just like I think Systematic Chaos, Octavarium and BCSL are really crappy records overall, for various reasons, anyone can think the same of AB III. I just happen to be an uber fan of the band, and of this record in particular and I'm glad to see the band getting props from most of the media and most of the listeners. Feels good to be a hardcore fan of a band that is actually getting some noteworthy attention.

And frankly, I think lyrically the album has a great theme/concept to it that draws me in as a listener. Love Myles' singing and listening to him tell his story is captivating set against a great hard rock/metal background. Everything I dig in music is on the record, which is why I am so high on it.

And to be clear, none of my criticism of the album's critics is personal. Not at all. I just love the record, and don't really hear what some of you complaining about it are complaining about....because it doesn't sound samey at all to me, except for song structure, and that is what AB does. Has since its first album.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #426 on: January 11, 2011, 10:25:49 AM »
YOU are a prog fan bosk1. You love Neal Morse, you love Transatlantic. That is prog, is it not?

Of course.  I'm just saying that is irrelevant for a variety of reasons.  One is that in 1989, long before I had listened to or even heard that there was such a thing as prog, I felt the same way about Tesla's album.  Another is that in recent years, I have felt the same about something that, by all accounts, is complex:  Symphony X's last release. 

But we could also talk about plenty of recent, more straightforward albums by non-prog bands where I have not had the same reaction:  Lacuna Coil's Shallow Life, Queensryche's American Soldier, Y&T's Facemeler (that album had entirely different issues), Slash's album, Megadeth, King's X, Flyleaf, Extreme, Armored Saint, etc., etc., etc. 

The fact that I might like me some prog doesn't really factor into why I'm having a hard time with ABIII at all.  I'm not imposing any expectations that they write something that sounds like The Whirlwind or The Count of Tuscany.  I'm just saying this album feels "samey."  And you can argue that it shouldn't, but that doesn't change the fact that it does.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2011, 10:29:17 AM »
It does for YOU. It doesn't at all for me and others, because song structures (which is the reason I am assuming you feel it is samey) isn't something that my ear really picks up and harps on as an element that can detract from my enjoyment of a record.

It does for you and a couple of others, and I get that, I just don't agree (based on my own individual taste and preferences, obviously). I don't hear it, and even if I nitpicked and sat down with each song to highlight what the structure was, and what repeated, that is what AB does. Always has. So it really just doesn't bother ME. It has everything I love about music in the album, which is why I am an admitted (committed, perhaps? lol) fanboy.   :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »
being a Prog fan ahs nothing to do with a critique of ABIII.

I listen to everything, and to me , good music has some sort of risk involved, and by a third album I have no want of more of the same formula. most great bands know this and adapt and have a vision, even Nirvana refused to stay the same, the new Good Charlotte takes more risks..LOL, and again the production is exhausting to my ears, its like the same wall of sound over and over, on first listen I knew where the songs were heading, to me thats boring TODAY, but Im sure they are making easy money so I cant fault that. ABIII  is very much like a new Disturbed CD, that analogy is a good one. the singer is not for me either, oh well..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #429 on: January 11, 2011, 10:42:10 AM »
It does for YOU.

Well, of course.  But even though I am sure you don't mean it this way, your posts up to this point come across as trying to say that people who feel that way are objectively wrong or as dismissing anyone who feels that way because we are just biased prog fans who can't appreciate straightforward rock.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: January 11, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »
It does for YOU.

Well, of course.  But even though I am sure you don't mean it this way, your posts up to this point come across as trying to say that people who feel that way are objectively wrong or as dismissing anyone who feels that way because we are just biased prog fans who can't appreciate straightforward rock.

I'm saying that DOES play a part in it. Not everyone, and not to the extreme, but absolutely plays a role. And I am not dismissing anyone. I just think it has some part in the criticism, whether folks here want to admit it, or are even conscious of it.

I do the same thing (with the example of PT I gave above). It is human nature. AB III is getting criticized for something by fans of a band whose songs are long, drawn out, and whose structures are usually different and not very, heh, "structured." Well, something has to give there.  ;)  We're human.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #431 on: January 11, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »
I can easily listen to all three Stone Sour albums all the way through with no problem. I can listen to the first two AB albums all the way through with....well, not as much of a problem. I have 0 problem with straightforward rock. But every band should be able to change styles often enough to keep things interesting. AB can't pull that off.

I'm really glad you think the album is FULL of variety and that none of the songs sound anything remotely like one another. Clearly you're not alone in that either, you have 2-3 people in this very thread who agree, you have the band who agrees, the producers who agree, the managers, the label reps and so forth. So both stances have firm ground to stand on. Stop getting so defensive, it's just a CD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #432 on: January 11, 2011, 10:54:08 AM »
How about this: I find ABIII "cheezy" its sums a lot of what I dont like today, its a formula for the masses, radio friendly, made to be sold, and a commodity. its as dangerous and captivating as a Disney Production. it annoys me that the industry rewards this stuff..I dont blame they members of AB for taking the safe easy route

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: January 11, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
I can easily listen to all three Stone Sour albums all the way through with no problem. I can listen to the first two AB albums all the way through with....well, not as much of a problem. I have 0 problem with straightforward rock. But every band should be able to change styles often enough to keep things interesting. AB can't pull that off.

I'm really glad you think the album is FULL of variety and that none of the songs sound anything remotely like one another. Clearly you're not alone in that either, you have 2-3 people in this very thread who agree, you have the band who agrees, the producers who agree, the managers, the label reps and so forth. So both stances have firm ground to stand on. Stop getting so defensive, it's just a CD.

Hey, just like when people slag on Dream Theater records you like, or folks like, and then the flock comes to defend it, I am a big fan of AB III and I will defend it. I'll use that "it's just a CD" reference if DT puts out another pile of dogsh*t and people praise it.  ;)

Saying AB "can't pull that off." is ridiculous. They don't experiment with song structure, and some folks (like yourself) pinged on that and it makes it sound samey for you. That's fine. We just disagree and do our thing. But I'm a fan, and I'm going to defend something that I like. Particularly when people work in definitives, such as your "can't pull that off" comment, Adami.

Of course they can. They've elected not to. Perhaps the next album they will. But for what this album is, theme-wise, I find the record to be perfect.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: January 11, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
How about this: I find ABIII "cheezy" its sums a lot of what I dont like today, its a formula for the masses, radio friendly, made to be sold, and a commodity. its as dangerous and captivating as a Disney Production. it annoys me that the industry rewards this stuff..I dont blame they members of AB for taking the safe easy route

Yay for you bro!

I could turn those descriptions the complete opposite way and refer to Dream Theater and my taste for their recent output. Music is subjective. It is what it is. But AB III is no Nickelback, in any way shape or form. lol.

I'm just stoked that a band I love put out one of my favorite records, and had some intelligence and interesting storytelling in it. Yay for me (and Accelandro, of course). lol.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #435 on: January 11, 2011, 11:01:48 AM »
Well you're right, they can pull it off. But they choose not to, which is actually worse.

But I still enjoy it, I just can't listen to more than 4 or 5 songs at a time, and I still can't tell any of them apart, but it's still in my CD player. And I still love AB.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #436 on: January 11, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »
actually...I find AB very similar to Nickleback. certainly more same then different!!

but heck, my crtique is valid, and I see nothing  "dangerous" or "visonary and risky" about ABIII, and thats my point. which tells me a lot about how deep in the box or stale AB is becoming. I mean the new HelloGoodbye album was a departure, look at Silverchair and Diorama.. that what I want, RISKS and real songs that they wrote from the heart and dont even care if anyone like them.

I guess if one was a big Creed fan, this is your band as Creed is no more and I can understand that, Creed was a BIG band
This is a DT forum, so we all do pick on what we like and dislike on DT
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:46:33 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: January 11, 2011, 11:09:13 AM »
Well you're right, they can pull it off. But they choose not to, which is actually worse.

But I still enjoy it, I just can't listen to more than 4 or 5 songs at a time, and I still can't tell any of them apart, but it's still in my CD player. And I still love AB.

It's not worse if it was done to further the theme and the storytelling aspect of the album, which is what I think they were going for.

As for your second point, thank God for MP3 players then, so you can skip around. Sometimes not listening to an album from front to back has its advantages.  :)

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #438 on: January 11, 2011, 11:11:50 AM »
I don't think the style repetition has anything to do with storytelling. Because they weren't telling the same story on the last two albums or all 5 or whatever creed albums, yet the style is on every single one of those CD's, a lot.

And I haven't put AB3 on my Ipod yet, I keep meaning to, but the CD's in my car and I keep forgetting to take it with me when I get out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: January 11, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
actually...I find AB very similar to Nickleback. certainly more same the different!!

but heck, my crtique is valid, and I see nothing  "dangerous" or "visonary and risky" about ABIII, and thats my point. which tells me a lot about how deep in the box or stale AB is becoming. I mean the new HelloGoodbye album was a departure, look at Silverchair and Diorama.. that what I want, RISKS and real songs that they wrote from the heart and dont even care if anyone like them.

I guess if one was a big Creed fan, this is your band as Creed is no more and I can understand that, Creed was a BIG band
This is a DT forum, so we all do pick on what we like and dislike on DT

Great for you bro, we disagree. I hear plenty that keeps my interest on AB III. It simply has songs with similar structures. No biggie, and in my case, I think it was intentional given the album's theme. But whatever, think what you want. All this stuff was wrote from the heart. It's not formulaic at all such as Nickelback.  Creed is still around, and Alter Bridge sounds nothing like Creed (other than three or four songs, mostly from the first AB album).

But the round-and-round approach is getting us nowhere. You don't like AB III. Understood. We disagree. No biggie.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #440 on: January 11, 2011, 11:17:19 AM »
actually...I find AB very similar to Nickleback. certainly more same the different!!

Actually AB III was definitely not an album written for the masses to be a commodity... they used their own money to fund it because that's what they wanted to do. Alter Bridge is definitely not a band for the masses, as shown by the fact that 3 albums in, coming off a commerical giant like Creed, they still aren't very mainstream, play small shows, etc.

Regardless of what you think about the final product, Alter Bridge definitely wrote their songs "from the heart" and don't care whether people like them. Surely it's just as bad to compromise what you want to write for the sake of getting people who demand "risky" songs to like them as it is to compromise what you want to write to get people who want the same thing over and over to like them? I'd rather Alter Bridge just keep writing whatever they want without deliberately trying to please radio listeners or without trying to please critics who want to see them be experimental. When / if they want to change their sound I have no doubt they will, but until then I'm happy they are writing what they want and not giving into either commerical or critical pressure, and am happy that what they want to write just happens to me among my favourite music.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: January 11, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »
I don't think the style repetition has anything to do with storytelling. Because they weren't telling the same story on the last two albums or all 5 or whatever creed albums, yet the style is on every single one of those CD's, a lot.

And I haven't put AB3 on my Ipod yet, I keep meaning to, but the CD's in my car and I keep forgetting to take it with me when I get out.

No idea. That was my own guess, throwing that out there. Again, song structure isn't something I pay much attention to, so you're probably correct. I don't base my enjoyment whether or not songs are structured (or are not structured) in a certain way. I base it off of how much I like the singer, the lyrics, the riffs and the melodies. Those are the first things I pick up and really define whether or not I dig something.

The one thing I do know is that they said that they didn't have a lot of time to work on the songs, and while I think it worked wonderfully, perhaps if they do it differently the next time and allow for some time to make some more "ear candy" they might mess around with song structures. But to me, funny time signatures and varied song structures are what prog bands do, and AB isn't a prog band. They are very much a mainstream hard rock band. But with a guy like Myles Kennedy and his jazz background in the band, I have to believe they'll probably start messing with other elements of their sound in the future.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline j

« Reply #442 on: January 11, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »
I like some prog music, just like I like some music from every genre, but I wouldn't call myself a "prog fan".  Most of it doesn't interest me, and I didn't even know what it was 'til a couple years ago.  And I know next to nothing about music, so it's not like I'm listening for certain complexities or minutiae to be present or whatever.

But there is *something* (or things) that are there in the vast majority of ABIII, and in many AB songs from their other two albums.  Whether it's song structure, rhythmic or melodic similarities, stuff being in the same key, some combination of those, or something completely different, I don't know.  But it has nothing to do with being averse to "mainstream" music; some of my favorite bands/albums are "mainstream".

I enjoy ABIII, it has some awesome moments.  I like it lyrically and thematically.  But there's not enough variety throughout musically IMO. *shrug*  It's still a pretty good album.

-J

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #443 on: January 17, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »
If ya'll didn't know, Alter Bridge: Live From Amsterdam is now released!!! I just ordered the Blu-Ray version  :metal :metal :metal

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Amsterdam-Blu-ray-Alterbridge/dp/B0037VF4CI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1295309004&sr=8-3

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: January 18, 2011, 10:59:12 AM »
I bought the Blu-ray on the first go-around. Now I have to shell out for the CD/DVD version so I can get the audio. So annoying. I never do this for bands I am a hardcore fan of, but I may wait and just get the CD/DVD version used, so I can not spend all the money.

I realize it isn't AB's fault, but they could have put on some additional material onto these new versions of everything (the Blu-ray is exactly the same) to make it worth it.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #445 on: January 25, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »
"I Know It Hurts" had been officially announced as the second single for everywhere except the United States. It probably will be the second single in the US, but because "Isolation" has become a monster on the rock waves (it's been the number 1 song 3 weeks in a row), they might hold out on releasing it until it starts dying down

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: January 25, 2011, 10:59:39 PM »
The kind of commercial "every song is the same" rock is not the only way you can rock and still be rich and famous. Led Zeppelin IV would like a word with everyone. In fact, "every song is the same" doesn't sell or make you more likely to be successful in the mainstream. Alter Bridge are a great example of why not, as they cater to the mainstream yet aren't really part of it. Because in order for "everyone song sounds the same" to work, you also have to be kissing ass to whatever the big trend in music is currently, which they don't do. Alter Bridge, instead, bow down to the big trend that was happening in rock music like 10+ years ago.

In fact, this commercial "every song is the same" rock has a special term: "butt-rock." A band can be successful and not be butt-rock (every Pearl Jam song was NOT the same, but butt-rock like Creed and Nickelback came in and rode their success out). The same goes for the glam bands of the 80s, and one day we ought to use it to describe all these emo and metalcore bands. A certain new genre of rock music comes out that “wow's" everyone, and then half a decade or so later there's a slew of butt-rock bands ready to cater to an audience that just wants to hear more.

The problem with Alter Bridge is that they're almost butt-rock. The thing that sets them apart is usually there's enough innovation and originality going on for them to not be so. The other thing that sets them off is that they're not really commercially successful, and seem to cater mainly to 1.) guitar players and 2.) those who truly had faith in the butt-rock of the late 90s. Now that the Creeds/Nickelbacks/ Doors Downs/Bush's/Defaults/Stainds have been swept away and their fanbases are buying the latest Lady Gaga album, only the most pious of butt-rockers are still hanging on. They have been hiding in the backdrop, waiting patiently for a band like Alter Bridge to come around and give them the best of what their favorite genre had to offer. And now Alter Bridge are here. But their scene, the late 90s butt-rock scene, is gone. And so they're able to thrive, being somewhat unique because no-one wants to play that music anymore. Because all that's left of it now is, obviously, Alter Bridge.

And listen, guys, I like Alter Bridge. A lot. But the last album needed some spicing up. It's the lack of anything out of the ordinary that bothers me. The songs that are really good are really good, but there's nothing "Blackbird" quality about the album that says to me these guys are shooting for more than style on this one. I've heard whispers about the theme and all, and while I'm sure it's there, it's just not apparent enough or strong enough to bump the album up from being more than an average collection of 90s rock songs, with some really good ones and some not so good ones.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:37:37 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: January 26, 2011, 09:24:58 AM »
Alter Bridge isn't even close to "butt-rock."

Butt-rock, how I understand the undefined term, has more to do with the lyrics (aka Nickelback's "I like your pants around your feet" or Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch")

C'mon now. PC.

Acc -- that song "I Know it Hurts" is a damn good choice. It's more hard rock, and even touches upon Mayfield Four's sound a bit, which should open things up even further for them.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: January 26, 2011, 04:12:12 PM »
p.s. ACC - who is the woman singing with Myles in "Never Born to Follow?"

Can't find any info on that.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #449 on: January 27, 2011, 02:22:55 PM »
The kind of commercial "every song is the same" rock is not the only way you can rock and still be rich and famous. Led Zeppelin IV would like a word with everyone. In fact, "every song is the same" doesn't sell or make you more likely to be successful in the mainstream. Alter Bridge are a great example of why not, as they cater to the mainstream yet aren't really part of it. Because in order for "everyone song sounds the same" to work, you also have to be kissing ass to whatever the big trend in music is currently, which they don't do. Alter Bridge, instead, bow down to the big trend that was happening in rock music like 10+ years ago.

In fact, this commercial "every song is the same" rock has a special term: "butt-rock." A band can be successful and not be butt-rock (every Pearl Jam song was NOT the same, but butt-rock like Creed and Nickelback came in and rode their success out). The same goes for the glam bands of the 80s, and one day we ought to use it to describe all these emo and metalcore bands. A certain new genre of rock music comes out that “wow's" everyone, and then half a decade or so later there's a slew of butt-rock bands ready to cater to an audience that just wants to hear more.

The problem with Alter Bridge is that they're almost butt-rock. The thing that sets them apart is usually there's enough innovation and originality going on for them to not be so. The other thing that sets them off is that they're not really commercially successful, and seem to cater mainly to 1.) guitar players and 2.) those who truly had faith in the butt-rock of the late 90s. Now that the Creeds/Nickelbacks/ Doors Downs/Bush's/Defaults/Stainds have been swept away and their fanbases are buying the latest Lady Gaga album, only the most pious of butt-rockers are still hanging on. They have been hiding in the backdrop, waiting patiently for a band like Alter Bridge to come around and give them the best of what their favorite genre had to offer. And now Alter Bridge are here. But their scene, the late 90s butt-rock scene, is gone. And so they're able to thrive, being somewhat unique because no-one wants to play that music anymore. Because all that's left of it now is, obviously, Alter Bridge.

And listen, guys, I like Alter Bridge. A lot. But the last album needed some spicing up. It's the lack of anything out of the ordinary that bothers me. The songs that are really good are really good, but there's nothing "Blackbird" quality about the album that says to me these guys are shooting for more than style on this one. I've heard whispers about the theme and all, and while I'm sure it's there, it's just not apparent enough or strong enough to bump the album up from being more than an average collection of 90s rock songs, with some really good ones and some not so good ones.

Exactly the way I feel about Alter Bridge. I like them too, played their music a lot (I must say I liked Creed during My Own Prison and Human Clay), and I feel that AB is indeed 'that' sound, but way better, better vocalist and more interesting songs. And there are ripping guitar solos of course. But that aside, the songs really are a lot better. There are moments during the Blackbird record where they sound really pure within their 'commercial' brand of a rockstyle that is long gone.

I went to see them in concert, and it was great actually. But the new album; indeed. It's good, but it's too much of the same. The most inventive moment of the record is the opening of the opening track! I wish they did more with that. Sends shivers down my spine. And that's what this band can do, no matter the 'same formula' problem. Myles is great, and Mark is too.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: January 27, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »
While I will preach the qualities of Alter Bridge to anyone who will listen, the latest live release is really ridiculous.

I know there were mess ups earlier where it got released, but then distribution was held up, etc. But they are doing exactly what other bands are doing now. Releasing a Blu-ray, but then only releasing the audio CDs of the show with a DVD set. So they are forcing you to buy two products. Not only that, with Live in Amsterdam, they shortened the performance on the audio CD, cutting like four songs.

Complete and utter BS. 

I had the Blu-ray during the first release earlier this year, and had the CD/DVD set in my hand today and couldn't pull the trigger. Just wasn't worth it for a shortened version of the show.

The shortened version aside, a lot of bands are now doing this...releasing the Blu-ray by itself, and then packaging the CDs with the DVD release...and not making the audio for sale digitally. And bands/labels wonder why people steal music. Because of bullshit tactics like this.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #451 on: January 27, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »
I had the Blu-ray during the first release earlier this year, and had the CD/DVD set in my hand today and couldn't pull the trigger. Just wasn't worth it for a shortened version of the show.

I hear you.  HOWEVER, the CD/DVD set is only $15.99, which wouldn't be a bad price to pay just for the CD's alone.  The DVD is almost like a throw-in.  So you should have just gotten it (I would have if I had gone with you--sorry I missed the call by the way).

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #452 on: January 28, 2011, 12:10:47 AM »
Honestly, if it wasn't for the great vocalist and the guitar riffs that are a bit more technical and exciting than the generic rock riffs of today, I'd probably right Alter Bridge off. But because of these things, I find them above the norm of 90s rock.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: January 28, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »

I hear you.  HOWEVER, the CD/DVD set is only $15.99, which wouldn't be a bad price to pay just for the CD's alone.  The DVD is almost like a throw-in.  So you should have just gotten it (I would have if I had gone with you--sorry I missed the call by the way).

But the CD is SHORTENED. It is not the full show. I'll tell you what. If you want the DVD, lets buy it. I'll take the CD and the liner booklet, you take teh DVD and the box it comes in. And we'll split the price.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: January 29, 2011, 02:29:50 AM »
Not to change the topic, but Mark Tremonti solo album in the works. Sounds awesome!

https://www.freegotham.com/podcasts/tremonti_interview_2_use.mp3

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Also: no new Creed this year!

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal