Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 258316 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread
« Reply #385 on: December 14, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »
Many of the posts here talk about the record being "samey" in terms of song structure. Well, I remind folks that Alter Bridge isn't a progressive metal band. Most song structures are in the vein that Alter Bridge's are. Their aim is to have mainstream hard rock music.

This seems kind of bizarre to me, because there's nothing "samey" about plenty of rock albums-- I'm thinking Led Zeppelin IV here. At some point, rock became about writing heavy songs in the pop format. And it wasn't like that before. Unfortunately, Alter Bridge are somewhat stuck in that 90s concept of what hard rock is "supposed" to sound like.

Frankly, I'm surprised that no one has remarked that perhaps the album (not counting the bonus tracks) probably should be considered one epic piece, split into separate tracks. Because that's how I view it, given the subject matter. It's the mental journey of a man struggling with what he once believed....and it is in running order, from the event, until the conclusion. The struggle from beginning to its "end" (if it can be called an ending...more like a continuation).

In essence, it could be considered one whole song...sorta how Fates Warning did with A Pleasant Shade of Gray.
[/quote]

I'm not hearing that at all honestly.

And I'm the one who mentioned a 10 minute long song, but you'd be doing me a real disservice by pretending that means I want a "prog epic." In fact, I said a longer ballad or anything that shakes up the format of this record would help it.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #386 on: December 14, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »
Many of the posts here talk about the record being "samey" in terms of song structure. Well, I remind folks that Alter Bridge isn't a progressive metal band. Most song structures are in the vein that Alter Bridge's are. Their aim is to have mainstream hard rock music.

This seems kind of bizarre to me, because there's nothing "samey" about plenty of rock albums-- I'm thinking Led Zeppelin IV here. At some point, rock became about writing heavy songs in the pop format. And it wasn't like that before. Unfortunately, Alter Bridge are somewhat stuck in that 90s concept of what hard rock is "supposed" to sound like.

Frankly, I'm surprised that no one has remarked that perhaps the album (not counting the bonus tracks) probably should be considered one epic piece, split into separate tracks. Because that's how I view it, given the subject matter. It's the mental journey of a man struggling with what he once believed....and it is in running order, from the event, until the conclusion. The struggle from beginning to its "end" (if it can be called an ending...more like a continuation).

In essence, it could be considered one whole song...sorta how Fates Warning did with A Pleasant Shade of Gray.

I'm not hearing that at all honestly.

[/quote]

Nope. Sure, the band says is a KIND OF 'concept album', but as far as individual songs go; the band couldn't agree which songs to be excluded from the record, so they decided to put 14 tracks on it. That doesn't sound like a calculated concept album. Yes, most of the songs written for the record tell Myles' story, and sure, it evolves towards the end. But that doesn't make it a concept album.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #387 on: December 14, 2010, 07:47:57 PM »
It's a concept album in the fact that it all relates around a general theme. There's no exact story, but it's kind of out there for the listener to interpret for themselves.

All in all I really love AB III, my favorites being Slip to the Void, Ghost of Days Gone By, All Hope is Gone, Wonderful Life, and Words Darker Than Their Wings.

I do however think that the songs on the album that had slightly different structure (Slip and Words) are basically the most original and best songs on the album. They seem to break that typical Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus thing most of their songs have, which is why they stand out. At least, to me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: December 14, 2010, 08:00:10 PM »
Yeah, this album has a strong beginning, solid middle, and great ending. There's just a couple tracks between it all that don't seem to add anything.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #389 on: December 15, 2010, 08:17:02 AM »
So can we all agree that this album would be better in some way if ~4 songs were left off?  Actually, after thinking about it, I can't say that I would remove 4 songs.  I would have left off Make It Right and Breathe Again, but would have definately included Zero as a standard track.  Most of the songs that I originally wasn't big on have grown on me. 

So, while I suppose for sake of the argument that the album would be "better" with fewer tracks, I just can't bring myself to turn away from new Alter Bridge.  As far as most, if not all, Alter Bridge fans are concerned, the more new songs the better.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: December 15, 2010, 08:44:10 AM »
will they open their eyes

and rea ra ra rea wuuuuuuhhhhhhh
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #391 on: December 15, 2010, 01:54:09 PM »
So, while I suppose for sake of the argument that the album would be "better" with fewer tracks, I just can't bring myself to turn away from new Alter Bridge.  As far as most, if not all, Alter Bridge fans are concerned, the more new songs the better.
I'd say I agree with this. It is a long album and I still think it lacks the 2-3 standout tracks that the first two albums had. But it's a solid album with no bad tracks and I enjoy listening to it. So it's pretty hard to complain.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #392 on: December 16, 2010, 05:36:51 AM »
I will say, however, that sometimes with a group like this, it really just takes time for the album to sink in. 

So on one side Samsara says "oh its  not prog what sort of variations/diversity do you expect?"

And then you say that it has these subtleties and nuances that you need to listen to the album lots to get.

So which is it?

Especially for a band like Alter Bridge, which are going for the intelligent mainstream rock approach, this sort of non-grabbing strikes of an incredibly bland and samey album.

The first two albums didn't need any sort of breaking in/repeated listens to enjoy, so why would this be any different? Either (a) it's a new style / complex which it clearly isn't, or (b) it's samey and boring.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #393 on: December 16, 2010, 10:28:01 AM »
It's definitely not boring. I can listen to the whole album and enjoy it 100%. It's the last few songs before Life Must Go On that kind of seem "same-y," as from Slip to the Void to Wonderful Life, there's a great variation in songs, especially the lyrical genius and incredible melody of All Hope is Gone.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #394 on: December 16, 2010, 04:47:13 PM »
I find it boring, sorry.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #395 on: December 19, 2010, 07:14:51 AM »
almost concert day bump for this thread. I'll be going to the NYC show tomorrow and hanging out at a bar called the Rattle n Hum beforehand (it's about 10 short blocks from the venue). If anyone's interested in hanging out beforehand just shoot me a PM
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #396 on: December 23, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »

So on one side Samsara says "oh its  not prog what sort of variations/diversity do you expect?"

And then you say that it has these subtleties and nuances that you need to listen to the album lots to get.

So which is it?

It's both. Just because it has nuances and subtleties, doesn't mean it is prog. It isn't. Again, I liken the band, particularly the last two albums, to older era Queensryche (say PL-Empire-Mindcrime years). They have some moments of progressive stuff in there, but in general, they are just a hard rock/metal band that pushes toward mainstream.

Not sure what is so difficult in accepting that a band can have some complexity and depth to it and NOT be prog.

If you don't like the record, that's fine. I mean, at the end of the day, we all like what we like.

Anyway -- can't wait for the Seattle show and throwin' it down with the boys. I hope they open up the set list a bit more though. I'd like to see more of the new album performed.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #397 on: December 23, 2010, 12:10:18 PM »
Some real interesting discussion in this thread  :tup

And I'm not even an Alter Bridge fan.  But now my interest has been piqued   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: December 23, 2010, 12:49:37 PM »
I dunno whether you'd like AB III by Alter Bridge or not, LV. I don't know your tastes well enough. I will say, however, that you'll likely appreciate what the band was trying to do with the record from a thematic approach.

If you see the album and feel like an impulse buy, give it a shot. Just know the American version contains two bonus tracks, which does NOT go with the concept of the record (and they are labeled differently on the back of the album, so it is clearly delineated).

At the very least, I'd love your take on the record, from a one-shot perspective.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: January 04, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »
Seattle show on New Years Day was amazing. I was front row, right in-between Myles Kennedy and Mark Tremonti. Got a pick from Mark, a drum stick from Scott, and also scored Mark's set list. Bad ass gig. 20 songs, 90 minutes. Both openers were good too.

Myles sounded amazing. He cut notes short, probably to just prevent any strain, given the guy hasn't had a long stretch off (nor will he) in the last year or so. But he hit them, and it was obvious he could have kept wailing.

Anyway, had a blast, and a buddy of mine was sitting up at the tables and sat next to the EMI/Capitol rep for the band. he said AB would be back in the Northwest for another tour leg in the spring. so for those of you that missed them, they are touring again, right after the Slash/Ozzy two-month jaunt.

My wife is hitting up the show in LA tonight, at the House of Blues. She's super stoked.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #400 on: January 04, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »
Wooo!!! Made the cover

https://yfrog.com/gy00y5hj

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: January 04, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »
Hell yeah!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #402 on: January 06, 2011, 04:41:18 PM »
I just found this video on one of Myle's earlier bands from the 90's, Citizen Swing. He is almost unrecognizable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIN2ZVj6FRA

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #403 on: January 07, 2011, 01:14:51 PM »
So I listened to the album a few more times, or at least tried to.

By about track 8, it just blurs together. I lose the ability to tell the songs apart. The vocals are also super repetitive. We have established from the last 2 albums the Myles can sing long high notes. But at this point it's almost all he does. Tons of just drawn out high notes, it gets indistinguishable. The songs are in the same key, so he's usually hitting the exact same note over and over. There are some VERY cool moments on the cd, which I love. But they're lost in the sea of sameness, which is unfortunate. And the sameness isn't a bad sound, it just gets boring to hear over and over. Same reason I can't listen to Disturbed for more than 3 songs or so in a row, it just blurs together.

But I have to say so far the best part of the whole CD is the first minute or so of it before it gets heavy. If they did more stuff like that, rather than typical alterbridge all the time it would have been great. Sad they can't experiment more or diversify or something. But they found a formula that they like and I guess they plan on sticking with it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: January 07, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »
But I have to say so far the best part of the whole CD is the first minute or so of it before it gets heavy. If they did more stuff like that, rather than typical alterbridge all the time it would have been great. Sad they can't experiment more or diversify or something. But they found a formula that they like and I guess they plan on sticking with it.
I completely agree. I love that opening bit.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: January 08, 2011, 04:23:00 AM »
Alter Bridge live on Leno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIab1DqzCvw

Crank the sound right up for this vid.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #406 on: January 08, 2011, 10:37:59 AM »

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Online Adami

« Reply #407 on: January 08, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »

Why is Tremonti totally burried in the mix? That made me sad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline plap11

« Reply #408 on: January 08, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »
just have to say i was disappointed with ABIII
The truth is the truth, so all you can do is live with it.

-repentance

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: January 08, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »

Why is Tremonti totally burried in the mix? That made me sad.

Yeah, I noticed that too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #410 on: January 10, 2011, 04:34:23 PM »
I find it funny that AB III is the bands most critically acclaimed album, yet some fans or casual listeners are saying its samey and boring. lol Guess its not for everyone. I personally love it

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: January 10, 2011, 04:54:09 PM »
I find it funny that AB III is the bands most critically acclaimed album, yet some fans or casual listeners are saying its samey and boring. lol Guess its not for everyone. I personally love it

I dunno. I think the lack of a Blackbird-caliber epic really hurts the theme they were going for.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #412 on: January 10, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »

:neverusethis:

Online Adami

« Reply #413 on: January 11, 2011, 12:13:08 AM »

It's their newest. It's popularity is based on their last CD.

It IS samey. It's not a bad album, but it's hard to listen to. I've heard it multiple times already and I can barely tell any of the songs apart.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #414 on: January 11, 2011, 07:56:48 AM »
I've heard it multiple times already and I can barely tell any of the songs apart.

:loser:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #415 on: January 11, 2011, 08:42:07 AM »
I feel the same as Adami, this CD is far from being as good as the hype. its an ok album, but I dont see anyhting that really makes it great, or extraordinary, and I agree that the production is passe' and like Adami said its like Disturbed, by track 5 its repeating and droning, and the singer to me is almost a caricature of himself, with the big loud voice all the time. I gotta say..I dont see it.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:08 AM »
I agree with Accelerando. AB III is by far Alter Bridge's best album so far. Each one has gotten better. All this "sameness" people are talking about is ridiculous. So what if the song structures are similar? Most bands write with similar song structures. Particularly non-prog bands that write accessible hard rock music.

The songs are all different, with different melodies, different harmonies, different riffs, different solos and different lyrics. They aren't the same at all.

If a record that has songs that are all structured the same way - intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus,  bridge, solo, verse, chorus, outro

I don't see the big deal. Artists have been doing that for uh...60-some odd years now?

Alter Bridge isn't a prog band. They are a hard rock band that has some metal, alternative, and progressive elements.

The record is epic from start to finish (Words Darker Than Their Wings...the others are obviously bonus tracks). I respect those folks who say they don't like the record, but to call it "samey" because the song structures are similar ignores the rest of what makes up a song. Most bands outside of prog bands write with similar song structures.

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #417 on: January 11, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
Geez, so much criticism around here...

Saw them live outside of Detroit a few weeks ago, it was nothing short of an amazing concert, one of the best I've ever attended.  The sound was spectacular, and Tremonti/Myles sounded phenomenal the ENTIRE night, I was especially surprised that the latter did not fade at ALL over the course of the evening.  Shows he really knows his instrument well.  

Snagged a Myles pick and ended up meeting the guys after the show, and although they took a freaking long time to come out, they were all incredibly kind and friendly.  Scott, the drummer, was especially cool about hanging out and talking for a while...all such nice guys!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: January 11, 2011, 09:21:47 AM »
It is samey, but I don't think the quality is any lower than what's on Blackbird. There are just more tracks, and since they're a band that doesn't use a whole lot of variation in their songs, it inevitably leads to the problems people here are describing.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #419 on: January 11, 2011, 09:38:28 AM »
I don't find it that "samey" at all if you're used to their sound... the fact is a lot of different band's stuff sound samey if you're not into it. If the band isn't overly experimental, or isn't making the songs so different on the surface (e.g. "this is our slow accoustic one, this is our heavy one") then it might sound similar.

Anyway I love the album. I understand listening to all 16 tracks including the bonus (or 17 if you have the Japanese bonus track) might be quite a lot, but I personally am just happy to have as much Alter Bridge music as possible. I can listen to the tracks in whatever sequence I want (often I Know It Hurts to the end), skip whatever tracks I want (often Wonderful Life), etc.

I know not everyone will like them, but apart from similar structures and the choruses mostly being big and melodic, I don't think they're samey. I wouldn't mind them to use different structures or have different parts more often (e.g. Slip To The Void), but I just find the music to be the best there is, even if it is usually in similar structures. They can't really be beat for melodies, riffs and especially vocals, in my opinion.

I do think Blackbird's better though - mainly just because the title track and Ties That Bind are still my two favourite songs by them, and Blackbird has a few more standout tracks as well... AB III has a lot of very high quality songs though, 17 and all of them are good, most of them being amazing.