Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256664 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread
« Reply #315 on: November 16, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »
I'm really digging I Know it Hurts, great song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #316 on: November 17, 2010, 12:53:18 AM »
Ok, first of all, fantastic album.  Does not disappoint, Alter Bridge is great as always.  First impressions/stand outs: Slip to the Void, Show Me A Sign, Words Darker Than Their Wings, All Hope Is Gone.

One thing I was surprised no one has commented on, though--anyone find the similarities between Words Darker Than Their Wings and Make It Right odd?  I mean, there's the similar feeling arpeggiated intro for sure (Make It Right is a little faster), but the main uncanny similarity is in the chorus: "Into the fire you fall" compared to "Into the light may you fall," plus the VERY similar feel of the choruses (at least the first section of Make It Right).  Odd juxtaposition of fire vs. light...if Myles were a religious person, I would suggest some sort of heaven vs. hell analogy, but since he's not, I have no idea.  Not to mention the constant wordplay of right vs. wrong in Words Darker Than Their Wings ("They say that you're right, I hope that I'm wrong," plus the whole finding truth element), opposed to the title "Make It Right."

Perhaps I'm reading into things a little too much.  But I honestly noticed this parallel on my first listen-through--that leads me to believe this was an obvious choice by the band.  Thoughts?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: November 17, 2010, 01:33:57 AM »
Yeah, I could, and I should've, but the places I usually go and get my CDs have always been reliable. However, I went to Best Buy to get the CD, and they had it! They were in the New Release sections, and they were the only ones in the sections that didn't have many left. Which is good.

AB III is doing very well. Better than I expected. On iTunes, it was the #2 album overall, #1 on the rock charts. I don't think Blackbird even cracked the top ten on the overall albums chart.

Dude, I'm in Hong Kong, and I've seen several legit hard copies, all as early as two weeks ago  ;)

Still have not bought. Did listen to Blackbird awhile ago, though, and enjoyed it immensely.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #318 on: November 17, 2010, 07:58:41 AM »
just got my ticket for the NYC show :biggrin:
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #319 on: November 19, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »

:metal One of my favourites from the album, kind of typical Alter Bridge but kind of different from anything they've ever done.

anyone find the similarities between Words Darker Than Their Wings and Make It Right odd?

Honestly the first time I heard Make It Right (after the free WDTTW mp3), at the very beginning I thought it was similar to Words' intro. But I decided it was just because it an appergio and because that was the guitar sound of the album for stuff like that, and the intros weren't actually all that similar. (Home also has that sound, and it is actually more similar to Make It Right).

After that I never thought about it again, but it is a good point with the lyrics. Probably not too much meaning in it, but a lot of the lyrics are connected, and since Words is a bit like a summary of the whole album, the right / wrong thing might come from Make It Right.

Anyway I'm looking forward to hearing another bonus track, For What May Never Come, soon. Waiting on a bonus track is pretty good since there isn't really any pressure on it to be good, as there is with the album. At worst, it's just a mediocre song you don't listen to, but if it turns out to be good it can make the collection of songs even better  :tup

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #320 on: November 19, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »
Yes, I'd like bonus tracks too. Looking forward to hearing them. Not going to check them out on youtube, want to hear them in good quality. That means I'm going to have to find a way of acquiring them. Are they on iTunes?

And this album is really good. Like I said before, I thought it was a step back from their other albums. But now that I know all albums by heart, my current favorite is DEFINATELY 'ABIII'. All around just 100% of the time awesomeness, instead of masterful songs and so-so songs.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #321 on: November 19, 2010, 11:32:56 AM »
Home is my favorite from the two US bonus tracks

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #322 on: November 19, 2010, 11:38:08 AM »
Accelerando (or anyone this applies to) -- if you have any pull with whoever puts the AB website and social media network updates up, I'd appreciate pushing my review. Trying to get attention to the website.

Thanks.

Brian

p.s. can't wait for the New Year's Day gig in Seattle! Hopefully the boys aren't too tired to put on a full set!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #323 on: November 19, 2010, 11:39:23 AM »
They are on every US release, so they should be on US iTunes I think. I don't think they are available on UK / European iTunes though   :|

And the last bonus track is supposedly on the Japanese release, which isn't until the 24th. Not sure how other fans will be able to get that one (officially).

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #324 on: November 19, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »
'Wonderful Life' is growing on me! Really beautiful song actually. The ending is my favorite part, love that vocal performance by Myles and the underlying chord progression.

Just saw an acoustic performance by Myles & Mark of 'Wonderful Life', with the hostess presenting them as 'Alter Life'. FAIL.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #325 on: November 19, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »
Accelerando (or anyone this applies to) -- if you have any pull with whoever puts the AB website and social media network updates up, I'd appreciate pushing my review. Trying to get attention to the website.

Done

Offline Basekick

« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2010, 11:02:40 PM »
Remember me freaking out about not finding any tickets to the December 20th concert at Gramercy Theatre?

I checked the site again the other day and got myself two tickets  :laugh:.  Happy I could make it right.

Anyone meeting up for said concert?  I'd be down to grab some food and meet some you fellows before rocking the fuck out.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #327 on: November 22, 2010, 05:18:32 AM »
I checked the site again the other day and got myself two tickets  :laugh:.  Happy I could make it right.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:41:25 AM by Accelerando »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: November 22, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »

Done

Thanks. I appreciate it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #329 on: November 22, 2010, 10:07:14 AM »

Same here.  I love that opening riff, and I wish it were used more throughout hte song.  I know it's there in the chorus, but the way they arranged that part of the song, it gets buried.

'Wonderful Life' is growing on me! Really beautiful song actually. The ending is my favorite part, love that vocal performance by Myles and the underlying chord progression. 

I really don't like it.  Maybe it'll grow on me eventually, but right now, I usually just want to skip it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Basekick

« Reply #330 on: November 22, 2010, 10:08:38 AM »
I checked the site again the other day and got myself two tickets  :laugh:.  Happy I could make it right.

Looks like I'm caught redhanded.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #331 on: November 22, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »
I'll be going to the show in NYC on the 20th, and I'll be hitting up a bar about 10 (short) blocks away called the Rattle n Hum beforehand.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #332 on: November 22, 2010, 01:51:07 PM »
I feel kind of bad to say I don't like Wonderful Life (or more accurately I like it least from the album) since I know what they are going for with it and I can appreciate it and the accoustic verses are beautiful and that ending is epic. But truth is, even though Watch Over You and In Loving Memory are in the same vein as it, they just seem much better to me, even though I have trouble deciding whether they are better or worse than a lot of Alter Bridge songs.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: November 22, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »
Each of those songs deals with losing something, but Wonderful Life, while similar in that regard, is quite a bit different. The song is about the experience from the point you last see someone, on their death bed, to the point where you are able to move past the grief and realize how special your time with said person was.

So while similar, the lyrical meaning is different from the other songs you have mentioned.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #334 on: November 22, 2010, 11:04:44 PM »
^^ I couldn't have said it better myself.

The director of Live From Amsterdam shot the Isolation video, and posted a teaser of it....

HERE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N-3FZtrreQ

:metal

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #335 on: November 23, 2010, 02:54:43 AM »
Each of those songs deals with losing something, but Wonderful Life, while similar in that regard, is quite a bit different. The song is about the experience from the point you last see someone, on their death bed, to the point where you are able to move past the grief and realize how special your time with said person was.

So while similar, the lyrical meaning is different from the other songs you have mentioned.

Yeah definitely - the lyrical meaning is different between In Loving Memory and Watch Over You too. I just mean those are the three similar songs - softer, at least partly accoustic ones, very emotional, etc. And while I find In Loving Memory and Watch Over You to be great but only to be listened to if in the right mood, or for a certain purpose, Wonderful Life just doesn't seem as good, so it's probably my least favourite from AB III.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #336 on: November 23, 2010, 06:50:32 AM »
1 - In Loving Memory
2 - Wonderful Life

3 - Watch Over You

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #337 on: November 23, 2010, 08:22:32 AM »
I dont hate this band, but I just dont get the excitement over them. I dont find them unique enough, the guy has a big loud voice is all I ever get from them.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: November 23, 2010, 08:53:07 AM »
What I love about Alter Bridge is that the band encompasses all that I love about music.

They have a big voice with range, but a good sense of emotion and melody. They have a great balance of ripping, aggressive songs, then some more epic cuts, and a few ballads that aren't sappy in the least. Just emotional.

Add to that a killer guitar element (love the contrast between Myles and Mark and how they approach solos and writing in general, reminds me of DeGarmo/Wilton from Queensryche back in the day, with Myles being the DeGarmo and Tremonti being the Wilton).

So for me, AB just has all those elements that I love in my music, and reminds me a bit of the ORIGINAL Queensryche, which is my all time favorite band.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #339 on: November 23, 2010, 09:29:03 AM »
I have their first two CDs. So I have tried with them, I listened to the stream of the new CD it was OK.

but, if others love them thats great! music is very personal. many would hate what I enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:22:51 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: November 23, 2010, 11:00:41 AM »
Oh, don't misconstrue what I meant. I wasn't belittling you or anything about not liking them at all. I was just sharing some of the reasons I dig them, that's all. :)

Music is the most subjective thing in the world, so I completely understand what you're saying. :)

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #341 on: November 23, 2010, 11:30:18 AM »
What I love about Alter Bridge is that the band encompasses all that I love about music.

They have a big voice with range, but a good sense of emotion and melody. They have a great balance of ripping, aggressive songs, then some more epic cuts, and a few ballads that aren't sappy in the least. Just emotional.

Add to that a killer guitar element (love the contrast between Myles and Mark and how they approach solos and writing in general, reminds me of DeGarmo/Wilton from Queensryche back in the day, with Myles being the DeGarmo and Tremonti being the Wilton).

So for me, AB just has all those elements that I love in my music, and reminds me a bit of the ORIGINAL Queensryche, which is my all time favorite band.

Hey man, no homo, but :heart

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #342 on: November 25, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »
God, i can't get the chorus from Home outta my head. It's wonderful

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #343 on: November 30, 2010, 07:43:58 PM »
I love it when guitar players improvise their guitar licks, and Mark has reached a point where he can do it really well live, like on this video of them playing Find The Real live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jSgZ-dPGK4

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: December 10, 2010, 08:57:30 AM »
Wonderful Life is fantastic.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #345 on: December 10, 2010, 10:36:02 AM »
So I gave most of the album a once through.

Eh.

Some really great ideas in there, like really great. However almost every chorus turned into a generic tremonti chorus and lost my interest. Also the production leaves something to be desired.

It's sad they can't write another chorus.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #346 on: December 10, 2010, 11:38:06 AM »
The most different sounding chorus is on 'All Hope is Gone'. It's not my favorite chorus, but they should definately lay off the 'epic chorus' a bit. Nonetheless, great album. I really, really enjoy it. But at the same time, it's becoming too formulaic.

Offline Adami

« Reply #347 on: December 10, 2010, 11:40:31 AM »
I also didn't notice anything really memorable about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: December 10, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »
So I gave most of the album a once through.

Eh.

Some really great ideas in there, like really great. However almost every chorus turned into a generic tremonti chorus and lost my interest. Also the production leaves something to be desired.

It's sad they can't write another chorus.

Okay, this time (and I love you, Adami, but I've noticed this about many of your posts more and more lately):

Obvious troll is obvious.

;D

Offline Adami

« Reply #349 on: December 10, 2010, 06:08:07 PM »
How am I trolling?

Seriously. I said the chorus' sound the same, and they do. And the production isn't their best.

How the HELL is that trolling?
fanticide.bandcamp.com