Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256674 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2010, 08:46:44 PM »
I love Alter Bridge, and was big on Creed back in the day, but I can't believe someone who listens to them so much wouldn't realize that there's a Tremonti chorus.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #211 on: October 02, 2010, 12:22:21 AM »
brand new start playing right now....such an awesome band

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #212 on: October 02, 2010, 07:03:23 AM »
You guys have to hear this album.  Start to finish it is absolutely incredible.  Taking into account that it's not technically a concept album, this might be the most incredible musical journey I've ever taken.  I am really looking forward to going running and getting some alone time with this album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2010, 07:20:25 AM »
this might be the most incredible musical journey I've ever taken.

Are you sure you know what you're saying??
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »
You guys have to hear this album.  Start to finish it is absolutely incredible.  Taking into account that it's not technically a concept album, this might be the most incredible musical journey I've ever taken.  I am really looking forward to going running and getting some alone time with this album.
He speaks the truth.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2010, 05:31:01 PM »
I listened to a fair share of Creed back in the day, even though they were practically unknown over here (in Europe). Not obscure, but it's not like they ever had any real hits. Weird idea that they were so HUGE in the USA.

'My Own Prison' had some good songs, but it wasn't a killer record because the production. 'Human Clay' was more streamlined, but that was the album I heard first, and I still have good memories of it. While I liked some songs off of 'Weathered', I'd say that record is ultimately a completely forgettable affair. And I really can't listen to the autotuned pile of shizzl that is 'Full Circle'.

The only thing I liked about Creed were the good riffs (now and then), and the 'spiritual' vibe of it. Listening back to it now, it kinda feels a bit pretentious. Let alone that there is some real excitement in their music. Alter Bridge takes some of the better parts of Creed, but adds so much power and passion to it. And good songwriting, and FINALLY some rockin' guitar solos. Which is more than matched by Myles who is just amazing on vocals.

The only complaint I have about AB is that it's just formulaic, groovy, heavy rock. With awesome vocals, blazing solos and epic songs. But in this style, there's not much more you can ask for. AB is absolutely awesome at what they do.

I guess what I want to say is that Alter Bridge is so much better. God, so much. The new album is absolutely great, and I'm seeing them live next month =)!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
Gonna wait till October 8 so I can hear it while it's fresh. I might even hear it In Real Time ITT like I did with the LP's A Thousand Suns album.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2010, 06:47:02 PM »
This album is so far removed from Blackbird.  It's captivating.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: October 03, 2010, 04:20:30 AM »
I will wait til I purchase it next week to listen.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #219 on: October 03, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »
Isolation has really grown on me, love the groovy verse riff and vocal melody. Chorus didn't seem that much upon first listen, but it's really nice actually. Still not digging the thrashy odd-time solo section though, but fortunately the bridge takes it up.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #220 on: October 03, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »
only listened to the album once so far, but Bill likey :tup
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #221 on: October 03, 2010, 11:37:57 PM »
Just gave it my first listen, and I definitely liked what I heard, but no tracks blew me away like "Find The Real" or "Blackbird" unfortunately.  That doesn't go to say that this album is bad by any stretch though.  I was incredibly shocked to here how consistent Tremonti was in each of these songs to deliver a dark riff to introduce each song's bridge.  Not that I'm complaining, of course  ;D  Top tracks include:  Slip To The Void, Ghost Of Days Gone By (this one shocked me), Still Remains, Make It Right, and Words Darker Than Their Wings.  Solid album, and I'll be sure to give a complete review after a lot more listens.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline j

« Reply #222 on: October 04, 2010, 12:00:04 AM »
First impression is very good.  Immediate favorites are Slip to the Void, Coeur D'Alene (possibly my early favorite), and Words Darker Than Their Wings, but I really liked most of what I heard.

-J

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #223 on: October 04, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »
There is indeed nothing remotely as epic as Blackbird's title track on this. Though 'Words' kinda delivers a similar feeling, and I certainly like it.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #224 on: October 04, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
The epic factor that the title track had on "Blackbird" is not matched in any single song on this album, but is far surpassed by the album as a whole.  I'm truly believing that Myles is the most talented person in music.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #225 on: October 04, 2010, 09:59:13 AM »
I wasn't expecting anything close to Blackbird (song), especially since the band themselves said there wasn't a song on this album that tried to top it in epicness.

But the album as a whole is epic, probably more of an album than Blackbird or One Day Remains. It's easy to say that "the album feels like listening to a concept album", but in AB III's case it's actually true. They weren't lying when it said it mainly dealt with the same theme.

The album plays a bit like the "conversation" part of Words Darker Than Their Wings, but across the whole album. Still Remains, I Know It Hurts, Fallout and a few others are quite clearly like a response to the feelings in songs like Slip To The Void, Isolation, Ghosts, All Hope Is Gone and Show Me A Sign. Those songs I mentioned have some lyrcal allusions to each other.

My favourite is still Slip To The Void, I think it'll stand as the best song on the album for me. I feel it could have been a bit longer since it's got so many ideas in it, but the fact that it changes so much is part of what makes it good.

Show Me A Sign wasn't immediately a favourite but it grw on me, it's probably my second favourite right now. It, Slip To The Void and Words Darker Than Their Wings are the only ones that come close to the epic feel of Blackbird.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #226 on: October 04, 2010, 12:22:25 PM »
I was determined not to listen to any of the songs until the album is released in the States, buttttt i was just informed from a good friend of mine in Ireland that when he comes over to visit my friends and I, that he will have copy of the album to give to me  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I like what I'm reading about AB III. I have not read one bad thing about the album yet. And yeah, people on the AlterBridgeNation forums (formally Alterbridgeband.net), are saying it's a concept album because it is played like a conversation, as RuRoRul mentioned. Im a fucking stoked, and i can't wait to hear the favorites from you guys, like "Slip To The Void" and "Ghosts of Days Gone By."

So how is the pirate song, "All Hope Is Gone"? I'm really curious to see how they integrated pirate-like music into the song. They've always managed to have some sort of classical music overlay in at least one of their songs on each album so far ( The End Is Here on ODR and Wayward One on Blackbird)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:34:27 PM by Accelerando »

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: October 04, 2010, 12:43:16 PM »
Listening to the album now. :hat

I won't spoil anything for you other than it's fucking awesome so far. :2metal:
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #228 on: October 04, 2010, 02:12:27 PM »
So how is the pirate song, "All Hope Is Gone"? I'm really curious to see how they integrated pirate-like music into the song. They've always managed to have some sort of classical music overlay in at least one of their songs on each album so far ( The End Is Here on ODR and Wayward One on Blackbird)

I never heard that before, but you can hear it.  The main riff that starts gives a slight feel, but then Myles comes in with a lyrical structure that is very reminiscent of some old pirate sea shanties (sp?).  

I feel like I need to express how awesome the album both begins and ends.  The three songs that start (Slip To The Void, Isolation, Ghosts of Days Gone By) and finish (Coeur D'Alene, Life Must Go On, Words Darker Than Their Wings) the album are so absolutely amazing and are easily the songs that stand out the most to me.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: October 04, 2010, 06:16:05 PM »
Today someone sent me "Slip to the Void" and I couldn't resist listening to it. I opened and listened to it anxiously and...

Fuck yeah.

Fuck Yeah.

FUCK YEAH.

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

I cannot wait till 8! HOLY SHIT I AM EXCITE :caffeine:

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #230 on: October 04, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »

I never heard that before, but you can hear it.  The main riff that starts gives a slight feel, but then Myles comes in with a lyrical structure that is very reminiscent of some old pirate sea shanties (sp?).  

I feel like I need to express how awesome the album both begins and ends.  The three songs that start (Slip To The Void, Isolation, Ghosts of Days Gone By) and finish (Coeur D'Alene, Life Must Go On, Words Darker Than Their Wings) the album are so absolutely amazing and are easily the songs that stand out the most to me.

Good to hear! ODR had great opening and closing songs.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #231 on: October 05, 2010, 12:44:46 PM »
OK so every song on this record has something that makes it at least worth listening to. They all have something 'unique'.

However, the choruses are pretty similar, which can make it a drag to listen to the album all the way through. Some songs are a bit different than usual, but especially mid album there are a few 'standard' AB songs. Nothing wrong with that, I kinda see them as excellent filler material.

My favorites (not ranked - and minor spoilers)

Show Me A Sign (Epic, not Blackbird epic but that's okay!)
Words Darker Than Their Wings (Most similar to the song Blackbird I think. Great stuff)
Slip To The Void (Really special track, I love this)
I Know it Hurts (excellent pace throughout, AWESOME guitar solo with acoustic guitar bursts behind it, GREAT)
Ghost of Days Gone By (This is excellent stuff, like the 'Brand New Start' of this record, but just a bit darker yet lighter.. it's weird)

As for the rest, there is tons of cool stuff on this record. It's just that some songs sound fresh (like Ties That Bind on Blackbird), and others more familiar AB style (like Before Tomorrow Comes on BB). Nothing shocking about the record, just some seriously, well excecuted hard rock/metal.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:59:42 PM by PixelDream »

Offline Basekick

« Reply #232 on: October 06, 2010, 12:48:51 AM »
While I'm still in the process of fully digesting this album (it keeps getting better  ;D  ;D), I did come across across this for those who still haven't gotten the opportunity to listen to it yet:

https://www.alterbridge.com/html/2010/10/05/the-alter-bridge-news-you-have-been-waiting-for/

They will be streaming the entire album on the site tomorrow.   :tup

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #233 on: October 06, 2010, 08:03:23 AM »
after spending some more time with it I can safely say that while I feel like it doesn't really break any new ground for them, I really like the new album :tup
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #234 on: October 06, 2010, 10:10:08 AM »
OK I COULDNT RESIST!!! I am listening to the live stream on NME.com right now. I just got through Slip To The Void. Holy fuck. That song melted my face off. The opening synth....with Myles... God that voice of his.... I love the bridge. A total throwback to seventies with heavy metal flare. Only one listen, and it's climbing my charts as one of my favorite Alter Bridge song.

Ok.... I will get back to my thoughts once I have completed the journey that is AB III. But already it's  :metal

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #235 on: October 06, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »
Just got my first run through listen of the album. I'll post my own review later on after a couple more listens, but I'm definitely NOT disappointed. A lot of new ideas and directions this band can venture to on later works. I definitely see where this is more of a concept album than the other releases, and on my review ill pinpoint lyrics to explain how it is.

AB III is def a contender for album of the year. It's Alter Bridge at their best imo. I can't wait to listen to this album more!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: October 06, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

I Couldn't resist and now I'll listen to the album In Real Time in the NME streaming. Will be updating this post (Like if anyone cares anyway)

Slip to the Void: This song is amazing. It's just what Alter Bridge is. Amazing chorus, man, even more amazing lyrics. Really, you don't see lyrics like this one on Mainstream Rock in these days. DEM SOLOS SO FULL OF AWESOME! It's exactly what I would look for in an opener. Amazing. Just amazing.
Isolation: This song hasn't grown very much on me, tbh. It was awesome when I first heard it but now... It's good, but not mind-blowing. Maybe it's because the Chorus is pretty meh IMO. The Bridge is incredible, tho.
Ghost of Days Gone By: Didn't expect a ballad so early. The verses might be a little cliché, but then again, the chorus is incredible. So powerful (TECHNICAL! :lol ).

Wait.

YEAH! YEAH! OH MY GOD MY EARS JUST CAME OH MY GOD. The heavy part is amazing, just comes out of nowhere, builds your ears up and then... THE MINI-SOLO. HOLY SHIT. YES. THIS PLEASES ME A LOT. YES!!!!! DAT CHORUS! SHIT! FUCK YEAH!!!!!!! THEN HEAVY AGAIN. I love this song. Verses might be a little cliché, but This song is amazing.
All Hope is Gone: Well I really hope it's better than Slipknot. I had to say it. The intro is great, reminds me of One Day Remains. The Chorus is... OK, I guess. The song is good, but not as good as its predecessors. Mark's guitar really stands out in this one as well as a really dark vibe throughout the song. It's far better than the slipknot one :lol
Still Remains: THE DAMAGE DONE! :metal This was my first thought when I heard the intro. DAT RIFF! This song is awesome already. Myles kicks in with some aggressive shit. I love the rhythm of this song. This is not any post-grunge shit, let me tell ya. Liked this song a lot. A LOT. DAT RIFF. DAT RIFF!!!!! Dark Lyrics and heavy guitars all the fucking way. It has a troubled and dark atmosphere overall... It's really good. Really.
Make it Right: Gosh this album has some incredible intros. The Chorus is pretty mediocre, surprisingly, but the verses, the solo (Show 'em, Mark) and the bridge are some good stuff. This one has an uplifting and more animated sound.
Wonderful Life: Another ballad, and this song would be generic as hell if it wasn't because of MYLES "I'LL MOTHERFUCKING SHOW YOU ABOUT SINGING" KENNEDY. He drives the song all to the road to epic. Lyrics are... Well, OK. But this song is one of his best performances in the album so far.
I Know it Hurts: The riff is OK, I guess. The lyrics are pretty repetitive. Yeah, carry on, you're lost but you'll be OK, Don't Stop Dancing, yeah. The music itself it's pretty good., I'm OK with it. I don't think the song is bad, tbh, and maybe I'll need the lyrics later :P
Show me a Sign: The verses are really good. The intro is nothing new tbh, but the verses are pretty good. The Chorus shows that Alter Bridge has already a predetermined chorus style. It can be really epic, like in "Rise Today", "Brand New Start", "Find the Real" and "Slip to the Void", but in songs like this it gets somewhat stale and repetitive. The lyrics are really good, tho. Also Mark shines again. YEAH!
Fallout: NUGGETZ! I like the way this song starts. It brings something new to the album overall. Then again, the Chorus style repeats, but it actually comes out to fit pretty good. I like this song a lot, it's really good. It's pure energy. If only the chorus was a little better... But I can't complain. Good song.
Breathe Again: Another ballad! Well this one ain't bad either. Really good guitar chords here. The Chorus is meh, but it's another uplifting song in the midst of turbulent and dark song streaks. I'm OK with this song and the bridge-solo is pretty awesome.
Coeur D'Alene: YES. AGAIN. MY EARS ARE COMING AGAIN. YES!!!!! AWESOME VERSES. INCREDIBLE! Amazing chorus, amazing. Simple, yet incredible. Definitely one of the best songs on the album.
Life Must Go On: EPIC. EPIC! The beginning is Creed-ish, but with more epicness. Yes, another "You'll Carry On, come on, lift yourself up" song, but this time it works amazingly. The harmony between all the band members is amazing. Fuck, if this song had been the only ballad in the album I wouldn't mind (Well, I'd mind Ghosts of Days Gone By tbh). FUCK YEAH. I might even say this song made my day. Incredible.
Words Darker than their Wings: Amazing closer. It just comes in when it has to be needed. It sums the album up and merges it in an amazing song. Myles and Mark are both amazing singers in this song. Yet another "Carry On" song, but fuck it. It's really great. It manages to be dark yet mellow at the same time.

Overall and as the tl;dr of this review:
after spending some more time with it I can safely say that while I feel like it doesn't really break any new ground for them, I really like the new album :tup

This.  They didn't exactly venture too far outside their "box", but this is a good album and I'm enjoying it.  Opens and closes very strong, with a few weaker tracks in the middle.

-J
Those. I miss an epic song like Blackbird (Which may be their best song to date, maybe), but the album overall is OK (However they've got to be careful if they don't want their sound to become monotonous in their next releases). Amazing opener and closer, and the first and last three tracks are incredible (Except for Isolation :P) and are the best them of the album, along with Still Remains and Fallout. It's still far from my favorite 2010 album so far (Anathema's We're Here Because We're Here) But it's a pretty good album. Might be listening a lot to it these days. Alter Bridge STILL ROCKS :metal .
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:28:43 PM by LCArenas »

Offline j

« Reply #237 on: October 06, 2010, 03:16:01 PM »

This.  They didn't exactly venture too far outside their "box", but this is a good album and I'm enjoying it.  Opens and closes very strong, with a few weaker tracks in the middle.

-J

Offline Basekick

« Reply #238 on: October 06, 2010, 04:14:03 PM »
Sorry if I spoil anything but seriously, the one moment that gives me shivers down my spine:

I DON'T WANNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #239 on: October 06, 2010, 04:20:24 PM »
Sorry if I spoil anything but seriously, the one moment that gives me shivers down my spine:

THE MOMENT YOU LET LOVE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #240 on: October 06, 2010, 04:43:09 PM »
really looking forward to picking this up

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #241 on: October 06, 2010, 05:44:18 PM »

This could be the last time you see me alive?

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »
My goodness, this album is fantastic. I also cannot wait to pick this up and blast it in my car. I'm digesting what I've been hearing so i won't post my thoughts yet.

Slip To The Void is in my top 5 AB songs  :metal

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: October 07, 2010, 12:58:10 PM »
GHOST OF DAYS GONE BY IS AWESOME
That is all. You can go back to whatever you were doing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: October 10, 2010, 04:08:05 AM »
Purchased it today.

Listening right now for the first time.  I really am not gonna make a judgment as it's an album that definitely needs time to grow.  It sounds like standard Alter Bridge with the same chords and chorus'  I don't hear anything really new.  There are some great riffs and chorus' though.  I think they probably could have cut out a couple of songs.

Favs on first listen; Slip To the Void, Isolation, Make it Right, I Know it Hurts, Fallout and the last track is pretty good. 

Needs lots more listen, but really didn't blow my head off on first listen.