Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256562 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
So I read your posts and I think to myself,  "What's boosh'd'

To answer the question......X3 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Official UK Press Release

Roadrunner Records are delighted to announce the release of American rock band ALTER BRIDGE’s third album, AB III, in October 2010. The acclaimed band, fronted by Myles Kennedy and also including Mark Tremonti, Brian Marshall and Scott Philips, will follow up the release with European dates between 16 October and 4 December.

“We’ve been wanting to pair up with Roadrunner for a while now,” says Tremonti. “We’ve always thought it would be the perfect home for us, especially with all the other acts on the Roadrunner roster, so we really wanted to make it happen.” He adds: “We’re real excited to get the record out. We lock ourselves into a room 24 hours a day when we’re doing a record, and we put everything we had into AB III. It’s been a whirlwind!”

Looking back at Alter Bridge’s brief but tumultuous career to date, you can’t help but agree with him. Formed in 2004 by Tremonti and Phillips after a cooling of their relationship with Creed singer Scott Stapp (Creed has since reconciled and reunited), the new band hooked up with then ex-Creed bassist Marshall and former Mayfield Four frontman Kennedy (who now also fronts Slash’s touring band) and recorded their debut album, One Day Remains. The album soon went gold in the USA and spawned three singles and, in addition, the now-classic WWE Superstar Edge’s theme, Metalingus.

Alter Bridge’s rise was swift, with Tremonti becoming a regular cover artist in guitar magazines due to his unearthly axemanship. A second album, Blackbird, was released in 2007 and also produced a slew of singles, among them Watch Over You, used to promote VH-1’s Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew. A world tour followed and helped to ram home the Alter Bridge message to hundreds of thousands of fans.

So what is that message? For the first two albums the theme seemed to be about new beginnings and the struggle to stay positive in the face of adversity. However, on this third album, Tremonti tells us that while all the Alter Bridge members share a common bond musically, their views on many subjects differ. “We all believe different things,” he says. “In fact, the overall theme of this record is Myles’ struggle with faith. He has trouble believing in anything spiritual, and he really puts that out there. Personally, I don’t believe in organized religion: I think it’s crazy to believe that people are going to burn in hell if they don’t go to the same church that you do.”

One of AB III’s many high points is the song Words Darker Than Their Wings, which refers to the very real dilemma faced by Kennedy when it comes to reconciling the tangible and spiritual worlds. “Myles once said that he didn’t believe in anything,” recalls Tremonti. “I said, ‘You’ve got to believe in something: even Albert Einstein came to believe that this universe was constructed too cleverly to be happenstance’. This turned into Words Darker Than Their Wings, and both Myles and I ended up singing two different vocal lines on it… that alone makes the song much different from anything we have ever done”

AB III is a record of stark contrasts. Produced by the renowned Michael “Elvis” Baskette, the album – whose tracklisting was revealed to the fans via Myspace on August 9 – offers a feast of listening experiences. “We went into the process of putting the record together with a lot of confidence,” Tremonti reveals, “but we didn’t go into it looking to be commercial, or to have radio singles. We just wanted this to be an album that pleased us artistically, through and through.”

“We are always writing,” he continues. “I have ideas that make it onto albums six years after I first wrote them! Most of AB III was written in the last two or three years, but there are some parts that have been around for much longer than that. The very first song, Slip To The Void, has one of my favorite vocal performances ever by Myles – the song is really creepy and lets the listener know the vibe of the record. It’s pretty dark. The intro really sucks you in…”

Darkness isn’t the album’s only emotion, of course – there’s plenty of aggression too. Take Isolation, for instance, which pays homage to classic heavy music. Tremonti: “That’s a more upbeat tune, with some real metal in there – in fact it has a speed metal bridge. It has a melodic chorus, though: melody is still the most important thing for us. There’s no point in being heavy just for the sake of being heavy.”

Producer Baskette, described by Tremonti as “like a fifth band-member”, enabled the band to encompass a whole world of emotion on this album, stretching from the philosophical (“Wonderful Life is about a man who’s losing his wife to a disease. The message is to live each day to the fullest, because you never know what’s going to happen”) to the heartfelt (“Coeur D’Alene is about a safe haven – your home away from home”). Oh, and there’s some hellacious metal darkness on there as well – from sources you might not expect. “My favorite song on the record – and the darkest – is Show Me A Sign”, explains Tremonti, adding with a chuckle: “I was into Celtic Frost and Venom when I was growing up: this isn’t a metal song, but it certainly contains a brooding darkness that is palpable!”

Put all this together and what do you have? A dynamic album that truly takes the listener on a complex and almost harrowing musical journey. You might think you had Alter Bridge all figured out with albums one and two. With AB III, Alter Bridge will shatter your expectations and take you on a ride you will not soon forget.

https://www.alterbridge.com

https://www.myspace.com/alterbridge

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline j

Looking forward to this.  Other two albums are both very good.

-J

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
I love that cover so much.  I was interested to see how they would decide to lay it out, put "Alter Bridge" on there or just "AB".  I am extremely pleased.  I thought the newest Coheed cover was cool, but this is way cooler.

Offline Accelerando

Here's a high res pic of the album cover

I hope it feels as it looks

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
This band is starting to revive feelings that I had for a band when I discovered Queensryche back in 1987. Seriously. I've become a hardcore over the past year with Alter Bridge.

If anyone knows where a Blu-Ray of Live in Amsterdam is available, please let me know. I have the DVD, but have not been able to score a Blu-Ray and I WANT it. :)

In regard to the new album -- Blackbird is one of my favorite albums, period. And just from how this is being described, dare I hope that they'd make a SECOND album that gets to that level. It sure sounds like it. Man. Deep lyrics, dark, killer music (from how it is described), dynamic and soulful musicianship. I can't wait.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
I hope they deepen the dark side of Blackbird on this album, and heighten the highs and energy of One Day Remains.  :biggrin:
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Accelerando

BRAND NEW SONG!!!! ISOLATION!!!!! IT"S HERE!!! LISTEN TO IT!!!

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=100106

This....just...fucking rocks!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread (UPDATED WITH NEW SONG "Isolation")
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2010, 09:33:24 AM »
I hope you are happy, Accelerando. I've cum buckets in front of my computer and now I have to clean them before someone gets home.

DAT BRIDGE MAN, DAT MOTHERFUCKING BRIDGE

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »
that is just.....so nice.   Im looking forward to this album

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »
Very good ass kicking first song to get us all pumped! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2010, 06:05:56 PM »
I was speechless for a couple minutes after the song ended.  I was just absorbing it.  Love it.  Can't wait.  Now I have to make sure my brother doesn't kill it for me while he's learning to play it.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »
This is a great song. The chorus is wonderful, and the riffs are so hard i felt it drop kicking me. This is just a taste of what ABIII will be, and it's a great appetizer....bring on the main course!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2010, 08:17:15 PM »
I hope they didn't give us the heaviest song. I like the song plenty, but if the rest all sound like standard alterbridge, I'm gonna be upset.

Also, Tremonti should writes 1000 dark riffs per album. Not necessarily heavy either, his clean dark riffs are amazing. Much better than his standard bluesy rock riffs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2010, 08:21:18 PM »
I like it...

Just now getting a chance to listen to their last album.

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2010, 03:50:59 AM »
Nice song, didn't get my mind blown. It just automatically started again, so I'm listening for the second time and I'm already twice as much into it. Didn't like the odd time signatures in the bridge the first time, probably because they caught me offguard. Cool stuff, new AB!! I'm freakin' pumped AND I'm seeing them live in a few months, including the new songs live!!!

Backing vox by Tremonti again in the chorus? Sounds great!

Add: Sweet lord, I've let this play for the fifth time already. I'm killing the song for myself before the album comes out. Whatever. The mix is great as usual, I love how steady the band is in the production of their music.

And Accelerando, thanks for the fast updates on this great band. Love your enthousiasm.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:00:30 AM by PixelDream »

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2010, 07:24:40 AM »
I hope they didn't give us the heaviest song. I like the song plenty, but if the rest all sound like standard alterbridge, I'm gonna be upset.

I thought about that too.  While the song is hella-heavy, it didn't seem dark, which is apparently one of the main themes/styles of the album.  I'm assuming that this is just a tease for those of us that wan't our faces shredded sooner rather than later.

"Check this riff, it's fuckin' tasty!"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2010, 04:56:48 PM »
Love the new song. Loved it so much, I went out and bought some import Alter Bridge goodies to tide me over.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »
This band is starting to revive feelings that I had for a band when I discovered Queensryche back in 1987. Seriously. I've become a hardcore over the past year with Alter Bridge.

That's awesome.  I remember feeling like I was going through a total musical drought for awhile, and then a couple of years ago discovering Nightwish and having that feeling of being totally blown away and wanting to immerse myself in the music, and then going through that again with Neal Morse and then Redemption most recently.  Good times.  Glad you're feeling that with a band.

As for the new material, I'm digging the sound of the new track.  Unlike you, I'm not crazy about Myles' singing style.  But I do like the band's sound overall, and I'm really liking what I hear so far.  I just hope the lyrics don't go off the deep end.  I have to admit feeling a bit of trepidation after reading the description awhile back.  I mean, it may be fine, but if Myles is going to get preachy about his lack of faith and soapbox about how religion is dumb, it's not going to matter to me how tasty the guitar riffs are.  But I'm really hoping it's not as blatant as all that because, from the sound of it, this has the potential to be a really good album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2010, 07:18:50 AM »
I hate to hijack an AB thread to talk about another band, but damn it I love "The Fullness of Time" songs from Redemption.  That being said, Bosk, do you recommend any other Redemption albums?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2010, 08:01:50 AM »
Snowfall on Judgment Day, the most recent, is practically flawless.  It is the bacon of 2010 progressive metal albums. 

Now back to AB.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2010, 08:22:13 AM »
While I do like the new song, I can't say yet that I'm thrilled to pieces over it yet, though it definitely is good.  I'm sure it will grow on me after repeated listens, as it already has. The whole "doing Creed" thing has taken a little bit of a toll on my respect for the Alter Bridge guys, but despite that I can't see myself NOT picking this up when it comes out.

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2010, 09:45:40 AM »
I'll pick it up, definately. The song has some very good sections, but I'm not that convinced about the chorus. Don't know why, feels like I've heard that kind of thing so many times by AB. Maybe I was expecting something more abstract from them. Nonetheless, good track, and possibly a very good album.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2010, 09:48:43 AM »
That song kicks so much ass it's not even funny.

EDIT: After about 5 more listens, it just keeps getting better...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:59:54 AM by zxlkho »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2010, 11:25:34 AM »

Mark Tremonti is very big on melodies. He said that the melody is one of the most important components of a song, and that there’s no point in being heavy just for the sake of being heavy. I think some of the greatest guitar players imo write great melodies....even the likes of Petrucci who writes complex songs, his songs have those melodic elements.  As someone who listens to Alter Bridge religiously, this is a much different chorus that they've done, and it works well with the song. I've been getting my good share of Isolation.... not too much, cuz i want AB III to kick my ass all the way through come October. I have no doubt this will be a very good, if not, great album.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2010, 11:37:11 AM »

Mark Tremonti is very big on melodies. He said that the melody is one of the most important components of a song, and that there’s no point in being heavy just for the sake of being heavy. I think some of the greatest guitar players imo write great melodies....even the likes of Petrucci who writes complex songs, his songs have those melodic elements.  As someone who listens to Alter Bridge religiously, this is a much different chorus that they've done, and it works well with the song. I've been getting my good share of Isolation.... not too much, cuz i want AB III to kick my ass all the way through come October. I have no doubt this will be a very good, if not, great album.

I've listened too it 3 times I think.  I'm really having to force myself not to listen to it more.  I got the e-card songs before Blackbird came out and had them on my ipod for weeks.  I still can't listen to those without thinking about that, and they just feel different from the rest.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »
Ok, so i don't know what the deal is, but apparently Isolation, so far, is just the UK single release. Being that AB is still looking for a US label (i dunno why it's not Roadrunner....), it's unclear if Isolation will be the US single. I hope it is. But then again, if it isn't, that means we'll get a new Alter bridge song soon  :metal

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »
That's weird I could have sworn I saw that they signed up with roadrunner somewhere...

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
That's weird I could have sworn I saw that they signed up with roadrunner somewhere...
They signed with Roadrunner UK for everything outside the US

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2010, 03:23:28 PM »
Alter Bridge are my favourite band, Dream Theater probably second.

New song is pretty good and is a good sign for the album. Can't wait for a higher quality version of Isolation, and the album itself.

I think Isolation wasn't quite as heavy as advertised. Not saying that as a bad thing, just an observation. It was hardly "heavier than White Knuckles".

Love the chorus and guitar leads.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2010, 03:59:50 PM »
They signed with Roadrunner UK for everything outside the US

I think Mark said EMI for US possibly?

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Check this shit out lunchbox!
« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2010, 02:25:19 PM »
damn this song is pretty sick! Loving the dark heavy riffs :metal

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2010, 02:30:06 PM »
damn this song is pretty sick! Loving the dark heavy riffs :metal

I'm not hearing anything very dark. It's pretty standard energy focused metal. The chorus is even almost upbeat.
fanticide.bandcamp.com