Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256500 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:38:01 PM »
In this thread, we will talk about the best rock band out there today, with the best vocalist in any genre (one of the very best of all time imo) and a machine of a guitarist and songwriter , Mark Tremonti  :metal

I'll also share exclusive updates that members from the Alter Bridge forums get before anyone else. This band has a strong connection with their fans, and are so pumped to share what's going on with the band.

Right  now Alter Bridge is in the studio recording Alter Bridge III. They have written several songs over the past year, and have arranged about 15 songs. It is still unclear if all 15 will make the final cut.

The band just made this update today!

Hello Alter Bridge Nation,

The recording process is moving forward and we could not be more excited about the songs that we are creating. Flip has finished all of his drum tracking and Brian will be finished recording all of his bass tracks by the end of this evening. Then, starting this weekend, Mark and Myles will begin recording guitars.

Our fearless manager, Steve Wood, snapped a few photos while down here in Miami and we thought that we would share them with you. First up, a view from the air of where we are recording.

That is all we have got for now. Very few people have heard the songs we are working on (not even our record label) and we are very proud of what we are creating. The word used most to describe what we are creating is dark. We can not wait to unleash our songs on the world later this year. And… we have received word that our tour in October will begin in the UK. We will update you further as more news comes in and also keep you up to date on the recording process so check back soon.

Keep rocking,

Alter Bridge

« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 01:19:34 PM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline Basekick

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:43:05 PM »
The word used most to describe what we are creating is dark

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

The best news I've heard all day.  Seriously, I LOVE Alter Bridge, and easily prefer all of their dark and heavy songs more than any others. YES YES YES YES YES.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
very awesome! I'm really glad they're back to recording and producing awesome music. Looking forward to it!  :metal

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:02:13 PM »
I love Creed. I never listened to Alter Bridge. What is the one album I should start with?

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:04:45 PM »
they have 2 albums, both are fantastic. Blackbird is my favorite

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:09:55 PM »
This is very exciting news. Listening to One Day Remains the other day, the start of Find the Real blew my face off. These guys are rad incarnate.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:16:19 PM »
Please god pick a different rhythm for your chorus's people. I love you and your band, but come on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:00:56 PM »
sweet

Offline j

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:10:41 PM »
sweet

This.

@ 90210: both their albums are great, you should listen to them both.  Much better than Creed, and really nothing like them at all.

-J

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 03:51:59 PM »
sweet

This.

@ 90210: both their albums are great, you should listen to them both.  Much better than Creed, and really nothing like them at all.

-J

Eh...I don't know about that.  You can really hear the Creed coming through in some of their work, especially on One Day Remains.  Blackbird not so much, but certainly on the first one you can hear slight influences...they're not diametrically opposed to one another.

That said, Alter Bridge is infinitely better, IMO.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:10:02 PM »
Thanks for the update, Accelerando. This is a band I really need to listen to more, I really love their stuff.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »
I used to fish on that pier all the time  :P
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »
Alter Bridge -  :hefdaddy

One of my absolute favorites. Can't wait for AB III (although I hope they give it a real title).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 06:54:41 PM »
Someone took down a picture of the song titles they had on a white board. But I do have a list of song titles that I could make out

1. Drop B (Idle)
2. Slip To The Void
3. Make It Right
4. Home
5. Zero
6. Isolation
7. Doesn't Matter
8. Rifforific
9. Fallout
10. To Know One
11. Breathe Again
12. Know It Hurts
13. Coperdalane (I think...)
14. Show Me A Sign
15. Empty Handed
16. Someday
17. Do You Feel?
18. Insecption
19. Reconcile
20. For What May Never Come
21. Defenseless
22. Nashville
23. And I Do
24. Dillenger's Journey To Fame (this song had an X over it so it prob won't on the album)
25. Like A Ghost
26. BLK #2 (possibly Blackbird Pt2???)
27. Life Must Go On

Offline Basekick

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 06:55:10 PM »
sweet

This.

-J

Eh...I don't know about that.  You can really hear the Creed coming through in some of their work, especially on One Day Remains.  Blackbird not so much, but certainly on the first one you can hear slight influences...they're not diametrically opposed to one another.

I agree with you here, and there is a simple explination.  Tremonti had a lot of material still left over from Creed, and Myles was utilized much more as a vocalist rather than guitar/songwriter during the recording process of the first album.  However, Myles and Tremonti worked together on Blackbird, which helped them create their own sound and stray away from Creed.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 07:16:30 PM »
As I've said before, Alter Bridge is IMO the best Hard Rock band ever to hit this planet and my favorite Hard Rock band. They're the first band I know that has succesfully managed to bring Metal influences & Elements into Hard Rock when it's supposed to be vice-versa. I'm anxiously waiting for their next work and I like a lot that it's dark. Waiting for more news!

BTW, Slip To The Void=Awesome song name.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:35:24 PM by LCArenas »

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 09:10:08 PM »
I agree with everything you just said. I was just listening to Ties That Bind before I read this, and was thinking how gruesome the riffs are in this song. Mark Tremonti is the man   God

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 10:02:39 PM »
Alter Bridge = THE only good straight forward rock band these days.

Can't wait for the new CD hoping for more songs like Blackbird.

Offline j

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 10:32:18 PM »
sweet

This.

-J

I agree with you here, and there is a simple explination.  Tremonti had a lot of material still left over from Creed, and Myles was utilized much more as a vocalist rather than guitar/songwriter during the recording process of the first album.  However, Myles and Tremonti worked together on Blackbird, which helped them create their own sound and stray away from Creed.

Maybe the reason I don't hear Creed in there is because I don't want to hear it. :P

-J

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 11:30:03 AM »
Thanks for all those song titles. Man, I can't wait for this record.  :metal :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Basekick

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
Thanks for all those song titles. Man, I can't wait for this record.  :metal :metal

Speaking of which, where did they come from exactly?  Acc, mind sharing the image with us?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 02:04:32 PM »
:heart Alter Bridge. I have a man-crush on Miles.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 02:15:52 PM »
:heart Alter Bridge. I have a man-crush on Miles.

Who's "Miles?" Last I checked, it was MYLES.   :biggrin:

You just failed in your crush.   :loser:

I'm just bustin' your chops. Anyway, yeah, Myles is all sorts of win when it comes to singing and guitar playing. His style of writing a solo is so PERFECT. He really focuses on extending the vibe of the song, rather than it just being a chance to show off. So many guitarists forget that. His writing style reminds me a lot of Chris DeGarmo (who is sadly missed in the hard rock/metal world).

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »

Speaking of which, where did they come from exactly?  Acc, mind sharing the image with us?

Haha well Mark Tremonti's brother accidentally posted an image of a white board with an extensive list of songs for the new album on the Alter Bridge forum, and that's where we got em. It was taken down a couple hours later. I should've dragged that image to my iPhoto. I'm sure someone around that board has it.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 02:13:21 PM »
Flip's mom posted this:

"The last time I talked to Scott he was saying he was so excited about the way the drum tracks had come out. "Fantastic" was the word he used. He also explained to me that with guitars you could adjust the sounds/tones/whatever after they were recorded, but drums were pretty much set so it was really important that they were recorded in such a big room. Not sure I actually understand all that but I'll take his word for it! He's really enthused about the progress of the CD.

They'll be back in Orlando as of this weekend. I think Mark and/or Myles start recording guitar tracks in the Orlando studio on Saturday.

The producer Elvis Baskett, who also produced "Blackbird" said they will be moving to another location to record the vocals. Interesting plan of action. I assume the drums sound better acoustically in a bigger room?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 04:13:42 PM »
Flip's mom posted this:

"The last time I talked to Scott he was saying he was so excited about the way the drum tracks had come out. "Fantastic" was the word he used. He also explained to me that with guitars you could adjust the sounds/tones/whatever after they were recorded, but drums were pretty much set so it was really important that they were recorded in such a big room. Not sure I actually understand all that but I'll take his word for it! He's really enthused about the progress of the CD.

They'll be back in Orlando as of this weekend. I think Mark and/or Myles start recording guitar tracks in the Orlando studio on Saturday.

The producer Elvis Baskett, who also produced "Blackbird" said they will be moving to another location to record the vocals. Interesting plan of action. I assume the drums sound better acoustically in a bigger room?

Bigger usually means more roomy sounding drums.  So a big room with some huge acoustics will give the drums a nice-as room sound, and means that EQ on individual drums is used a bit more sparingly to bring out the nautrual sound of the drums.  But after hearing the last two albums I'd have to say they have nothing to worry about when it comes to drum tone.  Total gut-busters.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »
Yeah, the drums sound incredible on both albums. I think I prefer 'Blackbird's drumsound a bit more. Let's hope this will be even better!

Update: After holding off a bit from listening to Alter Bridge for a few months, I'm now listening to 'The Ties that Bind'. Holy crap, it feels great to be back. There's something very powerful and uplifting about this stuff, even if the music and lyrics are pretty dark. It's just the obvious love of playing together + great songwriting I guess. These guys just RULE in making awesome Rock music.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:21:36 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 09:49:53 PM »
New Update!

Hello Alter Bridge Nation,

We are proud to announce that drum and bass tracking on our third album is now complete. The next phase is the recording of the guitars, which Mark and Myles began on Monday. The songs are shaping up really well and we are looking forward to unleashing them on the world later this year. We do not want to talk too much about the songs now, as they are still in the formative process. But know this… the four of us are creating these songs exactly the way we want with absolute freedom. And only the best of the best of the 17 songs we record will make the album.

We also want to let you know that Slash recently did an interview where he talks about Myles and the upcoming summer tour they will be doing together. The big news is that Slash revealed that they will be playing a few of our songs on tour, along with a song or two from Myles’ upcoming solo project along with some old GNR tunes so you will not want to miss it. Here is a link to the complete interview…

https://www.livedaily.com/news/slash-tickets-and-tour-dates-livedaily-interview-slash-21536.html

Well, that is all for now. Four songs are tracked on guitar so far and today we begin work on song #5. We will leave you with a few photos and be sure to check back for more updates as time allows.

Keep Rocking,

Alter Bridge
---------------------- (with photos)

Brian does some tracking...

Mark brings the guitar...

Myles contemplates an idea...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:56:17 PM by Accelerando »

Offline Basekick

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 06:22:32 AM »
Flip's mom posted this:

Bigger usually means more roomy sounding drums.  So a big room with some huge acoustics will give the drums a nice-as room sound, and means that EQ on individual drums is used a bit more sparingly to bring out the nautrual sound of the drums.  But after hearing the last two albums I'd have to say they have nothing to worry about when it comes to drum tone.  Total gut-busters.

My first reaction was "Oh like, When the Levee Breaks?"  since the drums were placed in a stairwell when recorded to sound absolutely HUGE.  Sounds great to me :tup

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 07:50:17 AM »
I just can't wait for this album.  For the life of me, I can't understand why they aren't the biggest new rock act in America.  Not only are they not in their rightful place, but they could get by simply on the love they are shown in Europe.  Just like the American music culture to cast aside raw talent and sheer awesomeness in favor of autotuned bullshit.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »
I just can't wait for this album.  For the life of me, I can't understand why they aren't the biggest new rock act in America.  Not only are they not in their rightful place, but they could get by simply on the love they are shown in Europe.  Just like the American music culture to cast aside raw talent and sheer awesomeness in favor of autotuned bullshit.

This. But i have to blame the record label at this point. They left Wind-Up because of the overwhelming pressure that they brought of getting Creed back together to do a tour when they were recording "Blackbird", so they went to Universal Records who aren't doing shit with the promotions, and have delayed the release of the Deluxe and Blu-ay versions of the DVD.

If they went to Roadrunner, Alter Bridge could very well be huge.

I have to say, Tremonti just looks absolutely RIPPED in that last picture of him.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:40:03 PM by Accelerando »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 02:36:19 PM »
How long is their deal with Universal?

Alter Bridge should be gigantic. As should Sevendust. As should have King's X back in the day. As should have RA. Sadly, too many absolutely great bands just don't get that support.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 06:43:59 PM »
Good question. They pretty much had to buy themselves out of the Wind-Up contract. I don't think they're planning on leaving Universal anytime soon, but I when it's for the album to get release, they will help the guys much better. If it weren't for the internet, this band would be so low on the radar

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »
Update from Elvis Baskett's Twitter

"12 Alter Bridge Guitar Tracks done. Tracking 13 and 14 with Tremonti right now."
[/quote]

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 03:43:31 PM »
Good question. They pretty much had to buy themselves out of the Wind-Up contract. I don't think they're planning on leaving Universal anytime soon, but I when it's for the album to get release, they will help the guys much better. If it weren't for the internet, this band would be so low on the radar

Given the success of the band in Europe, I think Universal sees they could have something. Particularly with Myles Kennedy's increased profile the past year.

www.roadstomadness.com